HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ESPN: Lebrun: Kings tried to trade for Kovalchuk's rights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=791977)

DAkings20 06-26-2010 08:26 PM

Lebrun: Kings tried to trade for Kovalchuk's rights
 
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...-draft-weekend

"Sources confirmed to ESPN.com yet again Saturday that the Kings will make an offer to the prized jewel of a thin market, star winger Ilya Kovalchuk. They tried to acquire his rights this weekend from New Jersey, but were denied since the Devils remain interested in trying to re-sign the Russian star.

On the back end, Los Angeles also has eyes on a top-four defenseman, and if Dan Hamhuis doesn't sign with Pittsburgh, the Kings will take a look at him. The Kings also like Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle, but don't have a fit with Toronto because the Leafs want a top-six forward in return. That doesn't make sense for a Kings team looking to add a top-six forward, not get rid of one.

Either way, expect the Kings to be in the thick of things come Thursday as the team attempts to add the final pieces to an rising Western Conference powerhouse.
"


Nothing too new but confirmation that they tried to get his rights

Staalguy 06-26-2010 08:28 PM

i would be very surpised if Kovy resigned in NJ


Who else would Kovy seriously go to other than LA?

93gilmour93 06-26-2010 08:29 PM

that would be a waste of a asset for l.a. because ilya will go to toronto july 1st:yo:

DAkings20 06-26-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staalguy (Post 26551877)
i would be very surpised if Kovy resigned in NJ


Who else would Kovy seriously go to other than LA?

yeah it just seems like a perfect match, He could of course take more money an go back to the Motherland. I definitely see the Rangers and Leafs making offers as well.

Rob Nieds work ethic 06-26-2010 08:32 PM

Trading the rights to roster players isn't Lou's MO. He never does things like that.

Panteras 06-26-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staalguy (Post 26551877)
i would be very surpised if Kovy resigned in NJ


Who else would Kovy seriously go to other than LA?

Florida :sarcasm:

might2mash 06-26-2010 08:35 PM

Wow, Eklund had another one right? Is this the Twilight Zone?

JUICEY* 06-26-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic (Post 26551944)
Trading the rights to roster players isn't Lou's MO. He never does things like that.

If it's clear Kovalchuk won't resign before July 1st, I don't see why he doesn't make a deal. Makes no sense to me.

Man Bear Pig 06-26-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

The Kings also like Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle
Can someone start a new thread about this? This needs to be announced.

KopitarFAN 06-26-2010 08:39 PM

I'm still not getting my hopes up. I think the Rangers will find a way to make it work.

kingsholygrail 06-26-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 26552025)
Can someone start a new thread about this? This needs to be announced.

Quote:

...but don't have a fit with Toronto because the Leafs want a top-six forward in return. That doesn't make sense for a Kings team looking to add a top-six forward, not get rid of one.
Not sure if you're serious.

shadow1 06-26-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 (Post 26551901)
that would be a waste of a asset for l.a. because ilya will go to toronto july 1st:yo:

Yeah, okay.

DAkings20 06-26-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 26552025)
Can someone start a new thread about this? This needs to be announced.

you forgot the rest of the sentence:

but don't have a fit with Toronto because the Leafs want a top-six forward in return. That doesn't make sense for a Kings team looking to add a top-six forward, not get rid of one

WarriorOfGandhi 06-26-2010 08:43 PM

kaberle 4 kopitar amirite

Martyros 06-26-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAkings20 (Post 26552112)
you forgot the rest of the sentence:

but don't have a fit with Toronto because the Leafs want a top-six forward in return. That doesn't make sense for a Kings team looking to add a top-six forward, not get rid of one

....even better reason to start a thread..... ;)

VelvetJones 06-26-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 (Post 26551901)
that would be a waste of a asset for l.a. because ilya will go to toronto july 1st:yo:

That didn't take long.

Scottyk9 06-26-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUICEY (Post 26552019)
If it's clear Kovalchuk won't resign before July 1st, I don't see why he doesn't make a deal. Makes no sense to me.

little something called loyalty and professionalism He's a Devil until July 1st any way you slice it. On the ice or off every player gets treated with the utmost respect.

huntison 06-26-2010 08:48 PM

Is there any chance Vancouver could take a stab at him? or is does Vancouver not have the cap room for it?

Black1963 06-26-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAkings20 (Post 26552112)
you forgot the rest of the sentence:

but don't have a fit with Toronto because the Leafs want a top-six forward in return. That doesn't make sense for a Kings team looking to add a top-six forward, not get rid of one

Actually, we have 2 top-six available in Williams and Stoll.

Whether Burke wants either of them I don't know, but JW and JS are our top 6 forwards.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 06-26-2010 08:49 PM

the devils dont want to count themselves out of signing kovalchuk. if they trade his rights they cannot possibly re-sign him. kovalchuk says he wants to test the market but the devils still have a small chance to re-sign him and i think thats why they haven't traded his rights

aBurmistrov 06-26-2010 08:53 PM

I'm really surprised that there still trying to re-sign Kovy.

VelvetJones 06-26-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaze (Post 26552307)
I'm really surprised that there still trying to re-sign Kovy.

They spent a lot to get him, might as well.

BozakKadriKessel 06-26-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils (Post 26552243)
the devils dont want to count themselves out of signing kovalchuk. if they trade his rights they cannot possibly re-sign him. kovalchuk says he wants to test the market but the devils still have a small chance to re-sign him and i think thats why they haven't traded his rights


I don't think he is going to go back to NJ.. Besides if he do it won't be until after July 1st.. Makes sense if they trade him and get an extra pick or prospect.... That way if he leaves it wasn't for nothing just very little. hahah

Devilsfan118 06-26-2010 09:22 PM

I think if the devils traded his rights, kovi wouldn't even consider resigning here. Gotta keep the hope alive. Plus, as someone else said, it's just not lou's style to trade a player's rights away.

And if he did resign after the devils traded him for something, the NHL would probably have to do one of those 'investigation' things...not worth a 7th round pick imo

NIDAS* 06-26-2010 09:25 PM

0% chance of kovy resigning, devils should have just taken whatever they could get


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.