HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What's next on Tallon's to-do list? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=792513)

Gudbranson44 06-28-2010 08:32 AM

What's next on Tallon's to-do list?

After a very strong week which gave us impressive trades, a draft with enough picks to cover 2 drafts (and 6 picks in the top 50), qualified RFA's and now the hunt for new staff members I feel very satisfied and I really wasn't expecting anything like this when I woke up tuesday last week.

Now the question is what will he do next? Will he manage to get rid of the players that the fans actually dont want on the roster such as olesz and reino? We all know he wants a strong center for one of the top2 lines, but will we? can we?

The way I see it with our current roster, we wont go far unless vokoun pulls off another crazy season for us. And scoring is still a major concern for us.

If anyone has any kind of information I would love to hear it

Acadmus 06-28-2010 08:51 AM

Well, free agency's this week, opening Thursday.

My first thought when Tallon dealt Horton and Ballard was "he's dropping money to position the team for free agency"...but then I had another thought. If the team will be a longshot to make the playoffs this season, perhaps he's decided to simply cut the payroll to the cap floor or as close to it as he can, then save that cap space for next summer when hopefully some of the prospects will make the team and start making it better, then get the free agents needed to fill the gaps.

But...we'll see.

Rattrick 06-28-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 26578097)

My first thought when Tallon dealt Horton and Ballard was "he's dropping money to position the team for free agency"...but then I had another thought. If the team will be a longshot to make the playoffs this season, perhaps he's decided to simply cut the payroll to the cap floor or as close to it as he can, then save that cap space for next summer when hopefully some of the prospects will make the team and start making it better, then get the free agents needed to fill the gaps.

But...we'll see.

IF, and that's a big IF the owners are still willing to spend a decent amount, and I'm not talking about the salary cap max, then what Tallon has done is genius. He's freed up a lot of salary cap space and roster space which is what I've said has handicapped us and prevented us from being able to make any significant changes/additions to basically have the same team we had last season minus a few small changes. Now, I think Tallon could (if given the budget) go out and sign a UFA or two.

Add to that, next offseason, we have so much cap and roster flexibility it's ridiculous that he'll REALLY be able to build the team that he wants.

Blacksheep71 06-28-2010 09:40 AM

I think he's checked who wants to play in Florida, moved the player who didn't, moved the player who was happy to join one of the seven teams of his choice, and is now prepared to give players to see if they are going to take that drink in the last chance saloon.

Behind the scenes a complete overhaul of the scouting department is needed. Chicago had started to imitate Detroit in what they did, and we need to start doing the same.

It starts with establishing a long term relationship with an AHL team not just the short term deals we seem to have. If necessary buy a franchise and move it into the BankAtlantic - Rexall Place and the Saddledome cope with an NHL and a WHL team on their ice.

Get some proper scouting into Europe. Maybe have some of our old boys like Magnus Svensson (Elitserran), Martin Straka & Robert Svehla (Czech Extra Liga) etc to start helping to scout prospects in their home leagues, as it has to start somewhere.

Georgia Panther 06-28-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

But...we'll see.

Nobody in free agency this year is worth the price. Some might say Lombardi but because of the overall lack of talent in this year's free agent crop, a normally over-priced free agent becomes a super over-priced free agent.

KWGoon 06-28-2010 10:17 AM

I think they need to balance the need between tanking for next draft and establishing a culture of achievement with a young team. Add to this mix the fact that ticket sales won't be great if there's no excitement to talk about -- either some young stars in the making, or some known names. Putting it all together, my guess is they'll make one or two FA acquisitions. One of them may be even bigger than Stillman :sarcasm:

Mogo 06-28-2010 10:25 AM

Dammit. Going on a cruise on July 1. Ugh.. I bet you Panthers make some signings on July 1-2 as I wont have internet access

Gudbranson44 06-28-2010 10:28 AM

yeah but I mean do u guys think we will see more trades for picks this year, and will he actually goafter a nr1 center?

TimHortons 06-28-2010 10:54 AM

Bobby Ryan is still in play. If a trade couldn't be swung, we could conceivably offersheet him. We do have multiple picks next year with two 2nds and two 3rds. I'd also assume that Vokoun could garner a 1st + at the deadline. So our draft would be fine next year even if we gave up our own 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks (compensation if we gave $4,520,151 to $6,026,867 contract). He would easily become our best offensive forward(not to mention fits the profile of player DT/Deboer want here)and with Weiss he'd come close to if not replicate his numbers on ANA.

:crossfing

Realizes theres such a marginally slim chance of this, but with DT who knows.

homegrizown 06-28-2010 10:58 AM

Who r the major free agents next year?

I tend to believe the panthers trade stillman, dvorak, voukon, mccabe all around the deadline for the best draft pick available. Then next year we have another 5 or 6 top picks within the first two rounds. Maybe some decent prospects.

Then we make a big signing or two maybe we then have the picks/prospects to go out and get a big name guy in a trade. And we start seeing the BIG change

zeroG 06-28-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

But...we'll see.

most of these prospects won't be making the team next summer and of those that do, it's unlikely they'll be making the better right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 26578311)
IF, and that's a big IF the owners are still willing to spend a decent amount, and I'm not talking about the salary cap max, then what Tallon has done is genius. He's freed up a lot of salary cap space and roster space which is what I've said has handicapped us and prevented us from being able to make any significant changes/additions to basically have the same team we had last season minus a few small changes. Now, I think Tallon could (if given the budget) go out and sign a UFA or two.

Add to that, next offseason, we have so much cap and roster flexibility it's ridiculous that he'll REALLY be able to build the team that he wants.

i think so. it's not an impressive roster but if they gel, it's not crazy to imagine them making the playoffs with a small addition or two. next year does promise to be interesting.

i don't think it was JM or sexton's plan to make dramatic FA pickup. it's generally not the smart thing to do, especially when you don't have an established roster with a solid identity. i'd guess tallon waits on anything major via FA. maybe he combines picks and players to try to pry away young guys who can be had (like berglund?) to try and goose the rebuild.

panthersfan751 06-28-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimHortons (Post 26580009)
Bobby Ryan is still in play. If a trade couldn't be swung, we could conceivably offersheet him. We do have multiple picks next year with two 2nds and two 3rds. I'd also assume that Vokoun could garner a 1st + at the deadline. So our draft would be fine next year even if we gave up our own 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks (compensation if we gave $4,520,151 to $6,026,867 contract). He would easily become our best offensive forward(not to mention fits the profile of player DT/Deboer want here)and with Weiss he'd come close to if not replicate his numbers on ANA.

Going after Ryan is too risky at this point. If we were further along in the rebuild I would consider it, but I would not want to give up a potential top 5 pick plus the other picks, even for Ryan.

Clint 06-28-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Terrible idea. I've said this over and over again; Offer sheets are not player acquisition tools. The RFA offer sheet system was put in place to ensure that teams were not low-balling their young talent in contract negotiations. Any reasonable deal is always matched, and if the offer sheet is not matched, the acquiring team pays out the ass in picks.

Gudbranson4Prez 06-28-2010 11:31 AM

I just want loMbardi... 3 years - 3.75 per

Mogo 06-28-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

No we wont be signing any offers sheets. Like how you got Guds as your avatar now eventho you were pulling to draft Fowler ;)

pb1300 06-28-2010 11:46 AM

I would like to see Tallon:

1. Sign Lombardi
2. Trade Vokoun, Stillman, Reinprecht, Dvorak, and hopefully, Olesz at the deadline.

Thats pretty much it. As long as we are willing to spend like we have the past few seasons, I want us to be as low as possible, payroll wise, entering next offseason. Lets get one of Couturier, Larson, or Hopkins in the draft, and put Tallon in a financial position to really improve this team.

OT: Could you imagine a top four defense of Gudbranson, Kulikov, Larson, and Robak :amazed:

PBPantherfan 06-28-2010 11:56 AM

Waive Koistinen for buyout. oops he already did it according to Bob McKenzie Twitter.com/tsnBobMcKenzie

Georgia Panther 06-28-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez (Post 26580748)
I just want loMbardi... 3 years - 3.75 per

Terrible idea at that price and according to Russo, Lombardi will likely get $4mil a year which is even more terrible of an idea and why Russo says it would be a bad idea for the Wild to pursue Lombardi and the Wild are even more desperate for a center than us.

I got some emails asking why I didn't include free-agent center Matt Lombardi in my Insider. I wrote too long and needed to trim some things, and that paragraph on Lombardi didn't make the cutting-room floor because I figured I'd mention this in another article this week. What I wrote about Lombardi is I like him as a player, but the free-agent center crop is so weak right now, I think Lombardi will get a dramatically-inflated contract and therefore I think he's too expensive for the Wild. I don't think the Wild should be giving Lombardi $4 million per.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi.../97315534.html

FinallyWeissIsGone 06-28-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogo (Post 26579439)
Dammit. Going on a cruise on July 1. Ugh.. I bet you Panthers make some signings on July 1-2 as I wont have internet access

Most cruise lines offer some sort of internet packages where you can either buy wireless minutes (if you have a laptop) or use their internet cafes.

asleepinthechapel 06-28-2010 12:10 PM

Tallon should sign Paul Martin. He could really shore up our D, imo.

Hip to be Square 06-28-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBPantherfan (Post 26581377)
Waive Koistinen for buyout. oops he already did it according to Bob McKenzie Twitter.com/tsnBobMcKenzie

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I don't care how much it costs.

Acadmus 06-28-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 26580251)
most of these prospects won't be making the team next summer and of those that do, it's unlikely they'll be making the better right away.

I know you understand the concept of qualifying language, so I will assume you were just stating the obvious and not trying to make some point of which I'm well aware. I also wasn't talking about just this year's prospects. I'm merely speculating on Tallon's strategy.

Another possibility I neglected to mention is trading for a top player with a bigger contract rather than free agency. Of course, this would require a team being desperate to deal someone. But again, I don't think Tallon's planning to be a contender next season, in which case cutting salary is done to position oneself for when you WANT to spend, and also to save on salary in the meantime since there's no point wasting money when you know it won't yield results.

Personally I think Tallon's on a 3-year plan for playoff contention...I just don't really want to think about that at this point is all.

TimHortons 06-28-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogo (Post 26580944)
No we wont be signing any offers sheets. Like how you got Guds as your avatar now eventho you were pulling to draft Fowler ;)

Maybe I was misunderstood, I don't WANT to give an offer sheet(with our potential to be a high pick next year), I'm merely stating that it is a "conceivable" notion. How many OS have been signed since the CBA, 2-3 (Bernier/Backes/Penner?). Simply put it rarely, if ever occurs. If a trade couldn't be brokered then this is a mere possibility.

I still like Fowler a lot and the skillset he brings to the table but Gudbranson is FLA property now and you can't help but love the kid.

MickOlax 06-28-2010 12:54 PM

I really hope that Tallon is either going after a real 1st-2nd line center or no expensive player at all, maybe some depth guys. Our defensive core could use some proven player like Michalek for example but I really doubt they are getting one since Guds is expected to be here next season. He could try to trade guys like Stillman, Reinprecht maybe Allen for something and then try to acquire UFA's, but until that is done I really doubt he's going after anything serious than possibly a top 2 center he has promised IIRC.

-L-

Hip to be Square 06-28-2010 12:58 PM

I'd take a chance at Cheechoo if we had a good set-up man. But we don't, so screw it.