HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gauthier's off season work so far... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=793274)

habaholic 06-29-2010 07:44 PM

Gauthier's off season work so far...

If we recap what's been done so far:

We lose:
SKost
Halak
Moore
Metropolit

We add:
Eller
Ellis
Boyd (assuming he signs with us)

Seems like a good enough trade off to me. We get younger, lose a head case and shed some salary (I'm thinking Halak will get more $$$ than Ellis)...smart moves.

Team_Spirit 06-29-2010 07:45 PM

He also fired/let go many scouts.

He did a poor job, getting depth when we need impact players.

CrAzYNiNe 06-29-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 26613266)

Yes, very easy to go out and get impact players, we are going to trade SK for an impact player (obviously no one offered an impact player for Halak or he would of taken it, atleast thats what I believe)

Team_Spirit 06-29-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe (Post 26613326)
Yes, very easy to go out and get impact players, we are going to trade SK for an impact player (obviously no one offered an impact player for Halak or he would of taken it, atleast thats what I believe)

Maybe you missed Byfuglien and Horton trades.

Zeroknowledge* 06-29-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 26613437)

neither Florida and Chicago needed a goalie, so yea...

kostitsyn1489 06-29-2010 07:56 PM

I just dont get the point of losing Moore... I really dont get why he hasnt been signed yet. I doubt he hates montreal and doesnt wanna come back. The guy was a stud every game he played.

Maxpac 06-29-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

You do realise the off-season is far from over right?

TankEller* 06-29-2010 07:59 PM

I've got nothing against boyd, but if we could somehow find a way and add a guy like Asham to our bottom-6, I'd feel that much more comfortable going forward.

Vasculio 06-29-2010 08:00 PM

PG still has something up his sleeves...

Kimota 06-29-2010 08:02 PM

So far Gauthier has acted as some sort of a "cleaner" like the Wolf guy in Pulp Fiction: gettting rid of problems, fixing situations.

Now it's time to bring in top players by UFA or trade to make us contenders.

Mike8 06-29-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Indeed, Gauthier missed the boat. Florida certainly would have preferred Hamrlik or Spacek to Wideman.

habaholic 06-29-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8 (Post 26613722)
Indeed, Gauthier missed the boat. Florida certainly would have preferred Hamrlik or Spacek to Wideman.

LOL!

andreconstantin 06-29-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 26613599)
You do realise the off-season is far from over right?

good observation, off season usually starts '' first of july''.

i think pg is doing alright just no wow. I just hope he doesnt give out huge contracts to rfa's and ufa's like Gainey.

airlouche 06-29-2010 08:08 PM

I really like Pierre Gauthier job until now. It's now time to bring Kovalchuk or Frolov. Oh and an enforcer, Fedoruk, Boogard or Arthyukin.

ILuvLucic* 06-29-2010 08:09 PM

Nothing to be drooling over just yet. He has done the things needed to be done, but nothing phenomenal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by habaholic (Post 26613742)
LOL!

A veteran proven d-man like Hamrlik with 1 year left, or Spacek, is much more vital to the development of their young defense men than Dennis Wideman. He blows.

MathMan 06-29-2010 08:11 PM

Jury's still out. Based on last year's playstyle, his team doesn't look like a playoff team yet.

Most notably, that top-six hole needs to be filled. And I'm worried that he's pencilling Pouliot for the hole, which is a huge gamble.

Spy 06-29-2010 08:12 PM

He's been good so far. We know he has balls and can take high risk decisions (Halak). Now let's see what he can do on July 1st.

JHabs 06-29-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

http://i27.tinypic.com/vq4mld.jpg

http://playstationlifestyle.net/wp-c...l-10-cover.jpg

Have fun buddy.

blueberry 06-29-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pazuzu (Post 26613625)
PG still has something up his sleeves...

Little skinny arms.....

Gary320 06-29-2010 08:36 PM

I think it's too early to be happy or angry about what he has done.
But I'm glad he's taking chances.

Freaky Habs Fan 06-29-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

First, Byfuglien ISN'T an impact player. He did nothing in the regular season and he played with Toews in the playoffs.

Second, I'm pretty sure Horton isn't considered an impact player by many teams. He's good, but did nothing to show he can have a real impact and he never played in the playoffs.

Third, Florida was looking for a defenceman, and the reality is that we don't have a Wideman in our rank that we are ready to give. Therefore, a trade with Florida for Horton would have been hard.

Fourth, do you really think it's that easy getting impact player? If it was, I'm pretty sure Gauthier would have got one at this point.

Anyways, all in all, Gauthier is doing a good job so far. We'll see what he does in the next week.

macavoy 06-29-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary320 (Post 26614376)
But I'm glad he's taking chances.

This is honestly why I like him more than Gainey. Gauthier and gainey are basically from the same mold but imo Gauthier takes a chance here and there and I can respect that.

Freaky Habs Fan 06-29-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 26614525)
This is honestly why I like him more than Gainey. Gauthier and gainey are basically from the same mold but imo Gauthier takes a chance here and there and I can respect that.

Yeah I like it too. He's a mix of Bob Gainey and Paul Holmgren. I don't want someone as aggressive as Holmgren, but I don't want a sleepy GM like Gainey either.

macavoy 06-29-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 26614589)
Yeah I like it too. He's a mix of Bob Gainey and Paul Holmgren. I don't want someone as aggressive as Holmgren, but I don't want a sleepy GM like Gainey either.

Did I say I like someone more than Gainey? Can you delete that post?

But for real, I respect Gainey, he did a lot for us, I hated the Gauthier promotion but at this point, I honestly wouldn't fire Gauthier if it meant hiring my hero Roy because I feel Gauthier is smart enough to make Roy a future part of this team some how.

tinyzombies 06-29-2010 08:50 PM

I would have stayed with Halak and given him 3.5 mil. The goalies we have now will be just as expensive, but not as good imo.

We should have moved Price, Hammer and the **** Bros for a return, then signed a UFA (Kovy or, more realistically, Frolov) and went with Halak.

I would have liked to see Moore return, and maybe sign Asham.

I think the team we have is definitely a playoff team if they stay healthy though, and will make some noise.

I'm not worried about the loss of Sergei, I don't see him amounting to much. He doesn't have the work ethic or character.