HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Possible Ottawa Trades? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=79348)

Sensored 05-21-2004 03:39 PM

Possible Ottawa Trades?

hi i am obviously biased towards the Senators but do you think any of these trades have a possiblity of happening?

Jeff O'Neil (Carolina) for Bryan Smolinski + 7th Round Draft Pick
Micheal Peca (Islanders) for Radek Bonk + 4th Round Pick
Ryan Smyth (Edmonton) for Todd White +Jody Hull + 1st Round Draft Pick

This is probably the most unlikley but what i think would bring stability to the goaltending problem.

Jose Theodore (Montreal) or Roberto Luongo (Florida) for Patrick Lalime + Martin Prusek.

With the addition of Theodore or Luongo to the lineup you could bring Emery up to be backup and then Guard and Thompson would be goalies for Binghampton.

Peter Griffin 05-21-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SENS4EVER

You serious? Why does Carolina even consider this? Smolinski is older and a downgrade, oh, but Carolina gets a 7th round pick!

Quote:

Doesn't make sense either. Peca and Bonk make roughly the same ammount of money, but Peca is arguably the better player(not offensively, but Bonk is quite the floater).

Quote:

I think Ottawa will be very interested in acquiring Smyth at the entry draft weekend, but that package does nothing for the Oilers. White is a borderline top 6 center, and the Oilers don't need to get smaller. Hull is a 4th liner at best and a very late 1st rounder isn't very enticing. The Sens will have to part with some good, young talent if they want Smyth. Martin Havlat going to the Oilers sounds right(not straight up for Smyth though).

Quote:

Jose Theodore (Montreal) or Roberto Luongo (Florida) for Patrick Lalime + Martin Prusek.
I shouldn't even have to tell you why these are horrible. :)

"Florida/Montreal! Take our two crappier goalies for your superstar/star goaltender! Two is better then one afterall!"

Guest 05-21-2004 03:48 PM

How about Hossa, Havlat, Alfredson, Lalime, Redden and Chara for Ryan Smyth, Eric Brewer, Radek Dvorak, Mike York, Jason Smith, Ty Conklin and Jussi Maarkanen.

Just tell me where I go wrong. :lol:

Verbal Kint* 05-21-2004 03:54 PM

Quote:

hi i am obviously biased towards the Senators but do you think any of these trades have a possiblity of happening?

This is probably the most unlikley but what i think would bring stability to the goaltending problem.

With the addition of Theodore or Luongo to the lineup you could bring Emery up to be backup and then Guard and Thompson would be goalies for Binghampton.

Please don't tell me you were serious.

Vyse64 05-21-2004 03:57 PM

you got to be kidding me on all "trades"

JOHNBOY 05-21-2004 04:19 PM

Quote:

Do you have any idea how far off you are on this proposal??

senate 05-21-2004 04:24 PM

I detect no bias what so ever. As a Sens fan I say well done. :bow:

Master Lok 05-21-2004 04:27 PM

These proposals are all awful and show no thought process for any of the teams aside from the Sens. Just close this thread to spare the newbie from many flames from irate posters please.

CREW99AW 05-21-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

welcome to the board.

I'd think the Canes would want younger talent back for O'Neil and
I'm pretty sure the Isles would want young,cheap talent for Peca.

I don't see either Montreal or FL biting on those goalie deals.It'd take a ton to get Luongo out of FL.

Sensored 05-21-2004 04:44 PM

wo i see im getting my head bitten off, so obviously i'm thinking from a sens point of view how the trades would help other teams i dont know. the whole point of this post was POSSIBLITY do i think any of these trades will happen no. The point was to see what your opinion was remember the title of the forum is Trade Rumors not reality.

And actually when you look at the stats its not unfair at all:

Radek Bonk
GP G A P +/-
66 12 32 44 2

Jeff O'Neil
GP G A P +/-
67 14 20 34 -12

As you can see the only advantage (though its not listed) is faceoff %

Bryan Smolinski
GP G A P +/-
80 19 27 46 22

Micheal Peca
GP G A P +/-
76 11 29 40 17

And again no advantage here except for the faceoff %

Ryan Smyth
GP G A P +/-
82 23 36 59 11

Todd White
GP G A P +/-
53 9 20 29 12

Jody Hull only played one game but he is a veteran something Edmonton needs (though not a good one could still possibly be on the fourth line and contribute)

And a 1st Round Pick

that is the only trade that might be considered lop-sided (the ryan smyth one) and FYI Martin Prusek has almost the same Save Percentage as Theodore(yes i do realise that Jose played more games)

Martin Prusek
GP W L T SA GA GAA SV SV%
29 16 6 3 651 54 2.12 597 .917

Patrick Lalime
57 25 23 7 1334 127 2.29 1207 .905

Roberto Luongo
72 25 33 14 2475 172 2.43 2303 .931

Jose Thoedore
67 33 28 5 1860 150 2.27 1710 .919

As you can see your all wrong none of these trades are especially lop-sized and the next time you say i dont know anything about hockey THINK. CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH, o and dont pull the team chemistry card.

P.S. Thank you Crew99AW for stating your opinion without being ignorant.

Vic Rattlehead* 05-21-2004 05:15 PM

Quote:

wo i see im getting my head bitten off, so obviously i'm thinking from a sens point of view how the trades would help other teams i dont know. the whole point of this post was POSSIBLITY do i think any of these trades will happen no. The point was to see what your opinion was remember the title of the forum is Trade Rumors not reality.

Radek Bonk
GP G A P +/-
66 12 32 44 2

Jeff O'Neil
GP G A P +/-
67 14 20 34 -12

Bryan Smolinski
GP G A P +/-
80 19 27 46 22

Micheal Peca
GP G A P +/-
76 11 29 40 17

Ryan Smyth
GP G A P +/-
82 23 36 59 11

Todd White
GP G A P +/-
53 9 20 29 12

Jody Hull only played one game but he is a veteran something Edmonton needs (though not a good one could still possibly be on the fourth line and contribute)

And a 1st Round Pick

that is the only trade that might be considered lop-sided (the ryan smyth one) and FYI Martin Prusek has almost the same Save Percentage as Theodore(yes i do realise that Jose played more games)

Martin Prusek

Patrick Lalime

Roberto Luongo

Jose Thoedore

As you can see your all wrong none of these trades are especially lop-sized and the next time you say i dont know anything about hockey THINK. CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH, o and dont pull the team chemistry ******** card.

Stats aren't everything.

Sensored 05-21-2004 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Stats aren't everything.

they're not everything but they must be worth something and it shows that the players arent as unevenly matched as people think.

TwineSniper 05-21-2004 05:44 PM

First of all, *****ing at people will get you no where. Learn that now.

Second of all, let me tell you why none of these work.

Jeff O'Neill rumoured to be going somewhere for a top tier prospect and a high draft pick. Example. He was rumoured to be going to Montreal for a package around Chris Higgins. For a team like Carolina to trade a power forward for a lesser talented, older player, would be shooting the whole organization in the foot.

You're second deal wasn't all that terrible. But You have to look past stats and look at player reputations. Both have injury problem histories, but Peca has leadership qualities, which are valuable, Bonk does not.

The 3rd deal. Smyth is a valuable commodity that any team would overpay. White and a 1st isn't near enough. Besides, I believe Jody Hull is on the verge of retirement.

Lastly. It's just not done that you ever see a better goalie traded for 2 lesser goalies. Especially now, considering Patrick Lalimes value has never been lower.

Peter Griffin 05-21-2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Radek Bonk
GP G A P +/-
66 12 32 44 2

Jeff O'Neil
GP G A P +/-
67 14 20 34 -12

Bryan Smolinski
GP G A P +/-
80 19 27 46 22

Micheal Peca
GP G A P +/-
76 11 29 40 17

Ryan Smyth
GP G A P +/-
82 23 36 59 11

Todd White
GP G A P +/-
53 9 20 29 12

And a 1st Round Pick

Martin Prusek

Patrick Lalime

Roberto Luongo

Jose Thoedore

As you can see your all wrong none of these trades are especially lop-sized and the next time you say i dont know anything about hockey THINK. CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH, o and dont pull the team chemistry card.

First of all, why are you comparing Bonk to O'Neill? Smolinski to Peca? Re-read your proposals. Secondly, stats aren't everything. O'Neill had an off-year, using his stats from last year isn't fair, he had an one off season, same goes for Peca. Thirdly, stats aren't even close to being the be all and end all in player values. Age, salary, and other intangibles have to be considered when gauging player values. If that was the case, I'll gladly trade you Brent Sopel for Wade Redden. After all, their stats aren't too far off... :rolleyes: .

X0ssbar 05-21-2004 06:01 PM

What about this:

To Ottawa:
4th Overall, 3rd Round Pick (this year or next), and a veteran (ex. Marchant/Cassels/Wright)

To CBJ:
Jason Spezza and 24th Pick

Feasible or not a chance?

Pinto 05-21-2004 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Shelf
What about this:

To Ottawa:
4th Overall, 3rd Round Pick (this year or next), and a veteran (ex. Marchant/Cassels/Wright)

To CBJ:

Not a chance

brucegarrioch 05-21-2004 06:06 PM

Quote:

Ryan Smyth (Edmonton) for Todd White +Jody Hull + 1st Round Draft Pick.

The subjective, purely ra-ra Senators fan in me praises your work and offers you a contract as the Senators General Manager. The objective side of my realises that I better offer a large vat of lube to the General Managers on the receiving end of this backseat grop fest. While your mindset is in the right place, in terms of players Ottawa needs, the players you're offering wont get the job done, unfortunately.

To obtain a player of Smyth's calibre, prepare to offer someone along the lines of Martin Havlat; while Havlat can outproduce Smyth offensivly, he [Smyth] carries a wider range of tangibles in comparison to Havlat, who courses with strictly offensive flare... primairly. Peca is a player I would love to have, but I suspect the Islanders would demand a more youthful, cheaper return rather than Radek Bonk. Perhaps Milbury would look at a player like Vermette as the cornerstone to Ottawa's package, but that is an (un)educated guess. O'Neill, while struggling this season, will still command more than an over-priced third line talent like Bryan Smolinski; Carolina would look for a player much like what Milbury demands in a deal for Peca: cheap, youthful talent with promising upside. Prepare to deal true talent, like Havlat, Vermette and others if you want to rectify Ottawa's weaknesses. The difficulty will be unravelling yourself from the emotional fibres that accompany the attachment to some players, especially the stars.

Quote:

We'll be hard pressed to trade Lalime for Luongo or Theodore without a football hurtled into our groin. Actually, any projectile will suffice.

Hossa 05-21-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

What about this:

To Ottawa:

To CBJ:

Not close. Not to say the original proposals were even close to feasible, but this one makes little sense either.

The fourth overall pick is not that valuable this year. After #2, there's a major drop-off to the point where the Sens first round pick whoever that turns out to be (lets say for the sake of argument Boris Valabik)...he could be well in the top 10 of the Senators or many other team's list as well. This isn't to say it's a deep draft, but somebody like Ladd (often listed as the #4) could be just as good as a guy like Bolland, who's a guy I'd like the Sens to draft. It's a significant upgrade from our first rounder to #4, but not worthy of adding in something major.

Spezza is easily, easily more valuable than the fourth overall pick in this year's draft, and Marchant and a 4th won't get a first I dont' think. Too many guys like Marchant (such as the superior John Madden) are set to hit the free agent market.

Lobstertainment 05-21-2004 06:27 PM

Quote:

What the ****?

Quote:

WHAT THE ****?

Quote:

*waves WTF!? Flag*

Quote:

:eek:

Epsilon 05-21-2004 06:41 PM

This guy is like the Senators version of TorTrader or Leafsfan21.

X0ssbar 05-21-2004 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hossa
Not close. Not to say the original proposals were even close to feasible, but this one makes little sense either.

The fourth overall pick is not that valuable this year. After #2, there's a major drop-off to the point where the Sens first round pick whoever that turns out to be (lets say for the sake of argument Boris Valabik)...he could be well in the top 10 of the Senators or many other team's list as well. This isn't to say it's a deep draft, but somebody like Ladd (often listed as the #4) could be just as good as a guy like Bolland, who's a guy I'd like the Sens to draft. It's a significant upgrade from our first rounder to #4, but not worthy of adding in something major.

Spezza is easily, easily more valuable than the fourth overall pick in this year's draft, and Marchant and a 4th won't get a first I dont' think. Too many guys like Marchant (such as the superior John Madden) are set to hit the free agent market.

Fair enough. What about you guys keeping the 24th pick - closer? So #4, 3rd rounder plus a veteran for Spezza?

In your opinion is Spezza even on the block?

Classic Devil 05-21-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Fair enough. What about you guys keeping the 24th pick - closer? So #4, 3rd rounder plus a veteran for Spezza?

In your opinion is Spezza even on the block?

I would sincerely doubt it, especially since Martin is gone now. There is no reason for Spezza to be on the block.

X0ssbar 05-21-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
I would sincerely doubt it, especially since Martin is gone now. There is no reason for Spezza to be on the block.

My thought process was that since the Sens haven't met expectations in the playoffs over the last few years that they would be looking to shake up the team more than just a coaching change. Throw in Spezza getting benched in the playoffs and the fact that he is a talent that will command a high return on the market - seemed like the perfect player to deal for the "shake up".

I know the CBJ would love to grab him (among many other teams) so I was curious as to what the Ottawa fans would think. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the Ottawa organization - I do know Maclean is willing to deal the #4 pick but would want a young talent back in return - similar to the Svitov - Sydor trade he made a few months back. I know Svitov is no Spezza so the deal would have to be a lot sweeter than that trade.

Nash - Spezza - Zherdev.... pretty sweet, if only to dream about :bow:

Regency 05-21-2004 07:37 PM

:lol:

Blane Youngblood 05-21-2004 07:55 PM

Quote:

FYI Martin Prusek has almost the same Save Percentage as Theodore(yes i do realise that Jose played more games)

Well, your stats prove it. The Sens should just keep Prusek as their starter. :shakehead