HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   2010-2011 Manitoba Bisons Hockey Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=793672)

Hollywood3 06-30-2010 01:45 PM

2010-2011 Manitoba Bisons Hockey Thread

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...sons-100px.gif

MANITOBA BISONS 2010-11

It is high time that I started a thread for the 2010-11 Bison Hockey season. Several recruits have already been announced and the schedule has been released. Click for the [2009-10 THREAD].

The first signing from May was WHL d-man Jeremy Schappert. [PRESS RELEASE] His stats are in the release. He is a defensive d-man and this is what the Bisons need after losing Kip Workman and David Brown.

http://gobisons.ca/images/stories/med/schappertweb2.jpg

This was followed by another former WHL (and South Blues and AHL) d-man, Dane Crowley. [PRESS RELEASE] I saw him play an exhibition game last year. He red-shirted. I think he'll be a good addition. He has a bit of mean streak in him. The Free Press story on this is [HERE].

http://gobisons.ca/images/stories/me...Crowleyweb.jpg

Just yesterday, the Bisons announced the signings of forward Del Cowan and goaltender Joe Caligiuri, although Caligiuri's signing was previously announced by the Dauphin Kings and others. [PRESS RELEASE] Cowan played for the Calgary Hitmen at the Memorial Cup and previously played for the Neepawa Natives and Brandon Wheat Kings, amongst others. Caligiuri finished his junior career with Dauphin (as an over-ager) but previously played for Prince George and Brandon in the WHL. The Winnipeg Sun story is [HERE]. The WHL story is [HERE].

http://gobisons.ca/images/stories/med/cowan_300.jpg

One signing not yet announced by the Bisons is that of Portage Terrier Zach Tully. The Portage Daily Graphic link is [HERE]. He was their top defenceman.

The schedule [LINK] has also been released. In addition to the usual games, the non-conference schedule looks like this:

September 11th at Regina
September 12th v Saskatchewan (at Regina)
September 17th and 18th at Max Bell v TBA
September 24th and 25th at Max Bell v Brock Badgers
October 2nd at Bemidji State
October 3rd at North Dakota
December 29th and 30th at Lakehead

Elsewhere in Canada West, UBC and Regina got off to an early jump in recruitment. It is good to see that the cellar-dwellars from last year are determined to improve. The [CANADA WEST] site has a full list of their recruits and their stats. Here's a summary:

UBC Thunderbirds
Matt Wray - Camrose Kodiaks forward
James Isaacs - Fort McMurray Oil Barons defenceman
Mike McGurk - Owen Sound Attack defenceman
Torrie Jung - Edmonton Oil Kings goaltender

Regina Cougars
Brett Leffler - Regina Pats forward
Terrance Delaronde - Manitoba Bisons forward
Cody Esposito - Dauphin Kings forward
Cody Gross - Calgary Hitmen, Winnipeg Saints, Melville Millionaires forward
Lucas Isley - Bonnyville Pontiacs forward
Brett Leffler Regina Pats forward
Tyler Penny Weyburn Red Wings defenceman
Jordan Reeve Melville Millionaires forward
Matt Strueby Regina Pats goaltender
A.J. Whiffen Weyburn Red Wings

BOOKMARKS:

Hollywood3 07-12-2010 11:58 AM

BOOKMARKS:

Island Husky 07-13-2010 07:18 AM

That's unbelievable, sounds so easy. I dig that, just get it done. In Halifax they are squabbling over who gets the best ice times, and "who really runs the rink" in a complex the city is funding ( which should answer the question but they can't agree on "which part" of the old city, because it is going up in Bedford) Here in Charlottetown or anywhere else on PEI, we haven't a snowball's chance in hell of anything like that. Montague ( pop 3000 approx) built a new complex, ( one rink, other recreational venues, it is a wellness center) and had to take a pile of debt on, now they are worried about keeping it going. Ditto for Summerside's new "wellness center" built three years ago, now called the Credit Union Place. they are bringing in nowhere near the cost of the mortgage, but aren't saying how they are dealing with it. Now Kensington, pop 1700 or so, is talking new wellness center complex which will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 Million, the town has nothing near that, hopelessely far from that, and they don't want any debt, and they are only 15 minutes from the new one in Summerside, but they want their own. Anyway, when I see how easily ( it appears to me it is, I could be wrong?) that goes up in Winnipeg, I can only stand in line and gawk and oogle. In Atlantic Canada, one of those exists, - Moncton's.

blackmarketmob 07-13-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood3 (Post 26629525)
[img]

Regina Cougars
Brett Leffler - Regina Pats forward
Terrance Delaronde - Manitoba Bisons forward
Cody Esposito - Dauphin Kings forward
Cody Gross - Calgary Hitmen, Winnipeg Saints, Melville Millionaires forward
Lucas Isley - Bonnyville Pontiacs forward
Brett Leffler Regina Pats forward
Tyler Penny Weyburn Red Wings defenceman
Jordan Reeve Melville Millionaires forward
Matt Strueby Regina Pats goaltender
A.J. Whiffen Weyburn Red Wings

Just a quick correction, you have Strueby down as a goaltender. I wouldn't bother, but as a 37 goal scoring forward in the WHL, he is probably their best recruit for this coming year up front.

puck passion 07-13-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmarketmob (Post 26893922)
Just a quick correction, you have Strueby down as a goaltender. I wouldn't bother, but as a 37 goal scoring forward in the WHL, he is probably their best recruit for this coming year up front.

Also, Jordan Reeve is actually a defenceman.

Ched 07-13-2010 08:23 PM

Hollywood, thanks for starting up this thread. a quick question for someone. i heard from Gregg Drinnan's blog that Dan Iwanski will not be returning to Everett for his o/a year but is going to pursue his post-secondary education. anyone know where he will be studying and if he is planning on playing hockey?

Dakota Sioux 07-13-2010 08:49 PM

So Hollywood ya gonna make it down to the Ralph for the Sioux game?

Hollywood3 07-13-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux (Post 26905835)
So Hollywood ya gonna make it down to the Ralph for the Sioux game?

Actually, it is feasible this year. A Bemidji-Grand Forks weekend could work. It will depend on my son's hockey schedule.

On the above-noted positions, I just cut-and-pasted what I found!

Ched 07-25-2010 04:04 PM

hey Hollywood

with the additions of Crowley, Schappert, Tully, Cowan, Caligiuri and Rumsey (who it is rumoured is returning after a year lay off) what do you make of the Bisons' roster this year? it would appear on paper that with Christie in goal and the returning and new d-men that we may have the best defence in Canada West if not Canada. what do you think?

Crowley
Schappert
Rumsey
Erb
Lockerby
Mealy
Flynn
Tully

Christie
Deckert
McHale
Caligiuri

what is not to like about this talent and depth?

Hollywood3 07-26-2010 11:27 PM

The calibre of the players in the stands does not matter much. On D the new guys seem good replacements for the grads. I'll be interested in seeing how the forwards look. They also lose Rick Wood this year. On balance, the team should be similar to last year's.

Ched 08-08-2010 05:08 PM

I think Crowley could become one of the top dmen in Canada West and quickly. Schappert had 48 points including 10 goals in the Dub last year so will for sure get some power play time and Rumsey is an absolute stopper. i love Brown and Workman but i think Manitoba's defence has really improved and has great depth and more toughness.

The question will be "can the Bisons put the puck in the net often enough?" losing Rick Wood and probably Calin Wild leave a couple of big holes to fill at centre ice.

Hollywood3 08-09-2010 05:58 PM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...sons-100px.gif

MANITOBA BISONS 2010-11

The Bisons have officially announced the commitments of returning Bison and former WHL d-man Myles Rumsey and former Terrier Zach Tully, as previously noted in this thread. [PRESS RELEASE] That's quite a D the Herd is building. Now if they could just recruit Sidney Crosby. How's he going to earn a living after retirement without an education?

http://gobisons.ca/images/stories/me...solo%20300.jpg

Don't forget, the Bisons will face the Brock Badgers on September 24th and 25th at the Max Bell Arena and the Moose prospects on September 29th at the Iceplex.

And here's a summary of the commitments and rumoured commitments as complied by Fan of the Vreds at HF:
  • Regina
    Forwards - Matt Strueby, Terrance Delaronde, Tyler Penny, Lucas Isley, Brett Laffler, Cody Esposito
    Defense - Jordan Reeve
    Goalie - A.J Whiffen

Manitoba
    Forwards - Del Cowan
    Defense - Dane Crowley, Jeremy Schappert, Zach Tully
    Goalie - Joe Caligiuri

Calgary
    Defense - Jesse Craige

Alberta
    Forwards - Mitch Czibere, Johnny Lazo, Matt Meropoulis, Lindsay Nielsen, Zack Dailey, Alex Rodgers
    Defense - Jarrett Toll, Drew Nichol, Ben Lindemulder
    Goalies - Kurtis Mucha, Linden Rowat

UBC
    Forwards - Matt Wray, Bryce Lamb
    Defense - Mike McGurk, James Isaacs
    Goalie - Torrie Jung

Saskatchewan
    Forwards - Craig McCallum
    Defense - Ryan Funk
    Goalie - Ryan Holfeld

Lethbridge
    Forwards - Cameron Lamoureux
    Defense - Mason Conway

Dakota Sioux 08-09-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood3 (Post 26907569)
Actually, it is feasible this year. A Bemidji-Grand Forks weekend could work. It will depend on my son's hockey schedule.

On the above-noted positions, I just cut-and-pasted what I found!

Well if you do let me know,I would love to meet ya.

mikeandI 08-10-2010 06:14 PM

hollywood
myles rumsey is rumored back with the herd ?
where did he go? herd he had a bad knee ? can you enlighten me!
also herd he had slow feet! haha seriously why did he take a year off?
that is alot of d men

Hollywood3 08-12-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeandI (Post 27326306)
hollywood
myles rumsey is rumored back with the herd ?
where did he go? herd he had a bad knee ? can you enlighten me!
also herd he had slow feet! haha seriously why did he take a year off?
that is alot of d men

IIRC when Rumsey joined the Bisons in 2007 he missed most of the first half of the season due to recovering time from surgery of some sort. He spent last season at York. We'll have to see how he's playing after a year off.

mikeandI 08-14-2010 11:03 PM

hey hollywood
was just looking around at hockey stuff then I got a text asking me to go to
www.eliteprospects.com

it says torry jung is going to echl? could that just be his rights were traded from Shreveport to Terry Ruskowski's Laredo Bucks or do the UBC boys need a goaltender.....again .....ouch!!?

Hollywood3 08-16-2010 12:41 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2009-50x50.gif NATIONAL RECRUITING UPDATE

Now is the time where observers from across the land rank the recruiting classes of the CIS teams. One such observer is Evan Daum at the University of Saudi Alberta. He has issued "report cards" on the OUA, Canada West, and AUS.

He does not grade all programs but instead has a #1, #2, and an honourable mention for each. His opinion is:
  • OUA
    #1: UQTR
    #2: Carleton
    h/m: Lakehead

Canada West
    #1: Alberta
    #2: Manitoba
    h/m: Regina

AUS
    #1: Acadia
    #2: Saint Mary's
    h/m: Dalhousie
Here's what he thinks of the Bisons:
Quote:

Despite some close competition from the conference's other green and gold program in Regina, the Bisons edge the Cougars out for second-place on the recruiting front so far. Up front the Bisons have only announced the addition of Del Cowan. Cowan split last season between Brandon, Prince George and Calgary of the WHL, going to the Memorial Cup with the Hitmen. He managed 17 goals in 67 games between his three stops, and added 16 points in 23 postseason games. A solid addition, but up front the Bisons' recruiting class still lacks that offensive firepower they really need.

If goaltending and defense wins championships, then Manitoba looks poised for another run at challenging for the conference crown with the addition of two good defenceman, and the heir apparent to Steve Christie in the crease Joe Caliguiri. Tampa Bay draft pick (#168 overall, 6th round, 2006) Dane Crowley joins the Bisons after red shirting last season. In 2008-09 Crowley played 8 games with Houston of the AHL, before spending the majority of the season with Phoenix of the ECHL. Joining Crowley is Jeremy Schappert who had 48 points last season with Seattle, and Zach Tully who played last season with Portage of the MJHL. Schappert and Crowley are both top four type defenders who are great additions.

In goal head coach Mike Sirant has brought in Joe Caliguiri who backstopped Dauphin of the MJHL last season, and had a 30-19-2 season back in 2007-08 with Brandon. Caliguiri should have the inside track at backing up last year's CIS Goaltender of the Year Steve Christie.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...BC-50x50-1.jpg UBC UPDATE

There have also been two more announcements from UBC. They announced commitments from Ben Schmidt (from Powell River of the BCJHL) and Bryce Lamb (from Prince Albert of the WHL).

Hollywood3 08-18-2010 03:41 PM

Topic for the hockey summit?

There is a story at faceoff.com [Canadian junior or NCAA? Debate rages on]. It is about the recent recruiting wars. The story is worth a look, and faceoff.com is worth a bookmark.

The CIS was mentioned tangentially in the story. The important thing to know is that the CHL scholarships are primarily used for players to attend at and play for CIS schools.

The article did not mention much about the CHL/CIS scholarships and why players prefer them to NCAA scholarships. The CHL/CIS players own their scholarships. They get one year for every year played in the CHL. They can switch schools and not lose a penny. They can even attend trade schools or other post-secondary institutions which do not even have hockey teams, and not lose a penny.

In the NCAA they cannot sign a "multi-year deal". The scholarship has to be renewed every year. Players can lose all or part of their scholarship for any one of a number of reasons such as injury, issues with a coach, a better player comes along, the team decides to "rebuild" in your 4th year, or the school cuts back on the scholarships for your team. If you switch schools you have to sit a season.

The other twist not mentioned in the story is that the NCAA considers CHL players to be "pro" thus making them ineligible to play NCAA. On the other hand, the CHL welcomes NCAA transfers, as does the CIS. This was not always the case.

Let's see if this issue is raised at the summit.

Hollywood3 08-28-2010 10:01 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2009-50x50.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...CW-50x50-1.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...isons-50px.gif

BISONS, CIS UPDATE

First off, there is news on the recruiting front in that the Saskatchewan Huskies made some late additions. The PRESS RELEASE gives details. The players are forwards Craig McCallum and Cody Smuk, defencemen Ryan Funk, Curtis Kulchar, and Garrett Thiessen and goaltender Ryan Holfeld. There is more coverage at the STAR PHOENIX and at the CW SITE. There is another story on Cody Smuk from Chilliwack HERE.

At the same time, UBC has lost the Torrie Jung, the goaltender they had recruited. Pro 8 News reports that the Laredo Bucks of the CHL have signed him. Tough news for the Tweety Birds. Whether they have another goaltender lined up, I do not know.

The additional recruits from Sask led to a change in the South Campus Sports rankings by Evan Daum. He previously did a top 3 from each conference. Since then Sask goes up and UQTR goes down. Here's his nation-wide top 5 list:
  • 1. Acadia
    2. St. Mary's
    3. Dalhousie
    4. Alberta
    5. Saskatchewan

Knocking on the door: Manitoba, Regina and Carleton
Meanwhile, former Bison David Brown has now moved on to the Coloradeo Eagles of the CHL PRESS RELEASE.

I also came across a useful link at Elite Prospects which now has all-time stats for the various treams, including the BISONS.

Finally, the Bisons have changed their pre-season schedule so as to delete Bemidji State and replace them with St. Cloud State. This is the new pre-season schedule:
  • Sep. 11 @ Regina 8:00pm at Regina
    Sep. 12 Saskatchewan 3:00pm at Regina
    Sep. 17 Brown and Gold Intrasquad 7:00pm at Max Bell Arena
    Sep. 24 Brock 7:00pm at Max Bell Arena
    Sep. 25 Brock 2:00pm at Max Bell Arena
    Sep. 29 vs. Manitoba Moose Prospects 7:00pm at True North Hockey Canada Mooseplex
    Oct. 2 @ St. Cloud State 7:07pm at St. Cloud, MN
    Oct. 3 @ North Dakota 6:07pm at Grand Forks, ND

Hollywood3 08-28-2010 05:56 PM

I have compiled the pre-season/exhibition/non-conference schedules for the Canada West teams:

Code:

September
Fri 10        7:00 PM        Portage College @ Regina
Sat 11        3:00 PM        Saskatchewan v Portage College (at Regina)
Sat 11        7:00 PM        Manitoba @ Regina
Sat 11        7:00 PM        Lethbridge @ Calgary
Sun 12        3:00 PM        Saskatchewan v Manitoba (at Regina)
Sun 12        7:00 PM        Calgary @ Lethbridge       
Wed 15    7:00 PM        UNB @ Calgary
Thu 16        7:00 PM        Oiler Rookies @ Alberta
Fri 17        7:00 PM        UNB @ Alberta
Fri 17        7:00 PM        NAIT v Regina (at Saskatoon)
Sat 18        7:00 PM        NAIT @ Saskatchewan
Sat 18        7:00 PM        UNB @ Calgary
Sun 19        6:00 PM        Regina @ Saskatchewan
Sun 19        7:00 PM        Alberta @ Calgary
Fri 24        3:00 PM        Calgary v Saskatchewan (at Edmonton)
Fri 24        7:00 PM        Regina @ Alberta               
Fri 24        7:00 PM        Brock @ Manitoba
Fri 24        7:00 PM        SAIT @ UBC       
Sat 25        3:00 PM        Calgary v Regina (at Edmonton)
Sat 25        7:00 PM        Saskatchewan @ Alberta       
Sat 25        7:00 PM        Brock @ Manitoba               
Sat 25        7:00 PM        SAIT @ UBC                       
Wed 29    7:00 PM        Manitoba @ Manitoba Moose

October
Sat 2        5:00 PM        UBC @ Nebraska-Omaha               
Sat 2        7:00 PM        Manitoba @ St. Cloud State               
Sun 3        5:00 PM        UBC @ Minnesota                       
Sun 3        6:00 PM        Manitoba @ North Dakota               
Mon 4        5:00 PM        UBC @ Minnesota State Mankato
Sat 9            7:00 PM        UBC @ Victoria Salmon Kings
Sun 10      7:00 PM        UBC @ Victoria Salmon Kings

RED ARMY EAST 08-30-2010 08:33 PM

Brandon University

There was an article in the Brandon Sun today that said there were people interested in reviving the old CIS varsity hockey program.
Brandon has been without a mens hockey program for 8 years, but would give the CanWest conference 8 teams again and a natural rival to the Bisons.
What do you think Hollywood?

Hollywood3 08-31-2010 12:59 AM

I saw the BRANDON SUN STORY and it really says nothing. Here's the substance:
Quote:

Brandon University has been without men's hockey for eight years -- and truth be told, it might be without hockey for a lot longer -- but the Brandon Sun has learned there are people who possess some financial clout who are adamant on bringing it back.
A few years back, Lloyd Axworthy at the U of W made some noise about starting a team. Personally, I would like to see both join the MCAC so that CMU and Assiniboine College could restart their programs, and maybe add Red River. If they could get a league like that going it could develop to be on par with the ACAC and BCIHL.

SaskaToba 08-31-2010 09:38 AM

rumor

Rumour has it the money is coming from a former NHL coach from the area... Anybody else hear this?

Hollywood3 09-06-2010 01:19 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2009-50x50.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...CW-50x50-1.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...isons-50px.gif

MORE NEWS A WEEK BEFORE EXHIBITIONS BEGIN

The Bison web site has a partially completed new roster page for 2010-11. Included are a few new names on the try-out roster: Brent Poplawski (d-man from the Winnipeg South Blues); Devin Himpe (d-man from the Dauphin Kings); and Wes Pawluk (forward from the Neepawa Natives). Right now there are only 13 names on the list, so check in for updates once the long weekend is over.

ELSEWHERE

The major recent announcements have come from the three Alberta-based teams.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...berta-50px.jpg Alberta: The annual game between the Edmonton Oilers Rookies and the Evil Monkeys has been scrapped. The Greasers have apparently scheduled games against other NHL rookie squads. Alberta will instead face another local Edmonton team, the Concordia Thunder of the ACAC. South Campus Sports laments this development.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...idge-50pxw.jpg Lethbridge: The H0rny Ones' recruiting class was announced all-at-once. Added are Taylor Gal, Ryan Letts, Tyler Melancon, Mason Conway, and former Bison Nick Hotson. South Campus Sports also has a story on this.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...gary-50x50.gif Calgary: The Dinos also announced their recruits en masse. The seven players are forwards Colton Grant, Taylor Rovatti, and Matt Scrivens; defencemen Brett Bartman, Spencer Fraipont, and Colton MacPherson; and goaltender Kris Lazaruk. South Campus Sports has background on all these players.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...SouthBlues.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...gina-50pxw.jpg Regina: Former Regina Cougar and Winnipeg South Blue Brant Hilton has turned pro with the Mississippi River Kings, as announced by the U of R.

NEXT UP

Sat Sept 11 7:00 PM Manitoba @ Regina
Sun Sept 12 3:00 PM Saskatchewan v Manitoba (at Regina)
Fri Sept 24 7:00 PM Brock @ Manitoba
Sat Sept 25 7:00 PM Brock @ Manitoba

Hollywood3 09-10-2010 03:07 PM

Weekend Preview

September 10, 2010

EXHIBITION GAMES START TONIGHT

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...isons-50px.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...college-50.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...gina-50pxw.jpg http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Sask-50x50.jpg

News is hard to come by for the opening weekend of exhibition games. The Bisons usually start with an intersquad game where I can see a complete roster at least. Right now, the roster page for 2010-11 is not being updated.

The Bisons are one of four teams visiting Regina's new digs. (The others are Sask and Portage College from the ACAC.) Calgary and Lethbridge play a home-and-home. UBC and the Evil Monkeys will be at home watching Family Guy re-runs, I guess. Portage is a 3rd year team based in Lac La Biche, Alberta. They split a pair of games last weekend against Fort McMurray of the AJHL.

I am hopeful that LeagueStat will give full rosters etc. after the games. Sometimes the U of R was slow to provide updates last year.

Also, the Canada West site seems to be undergoing a transformation. Last night a new format was there, but it is gone today. Hoefully this means that a new site will be launched only when it is full ready to go. Unlike what the CIS site did last year.

WEEKEND SCHEDULE

Fri 10 7:00 PM Portage College @ Regina
Sat 11 3:00 PM Saskatchewan v Portage College (at Regina)
Sat 11 7:00 PM Manitoba @ Regina
Sat 11 7:00 PM Lethbridge @ Calgary
Sun 12 3:00 PM Saskatchewan v Manitoba (at Regina)
Sun 12 7:00 PM Calgary @ Lethbridge

WEEKEND LINKSBOOKMARKS