HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Michael Russo: Q & A with the Juice (Jokinen) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=793686)

se7en 06-30-2010 03:09 PM

Q & A with the Juice (Jokinen)

It's a pretty good read, it sounds like OJ at least has some interest in coming to Minnesota, but then again it's not really anything concrete because he follows up his comment by saying that he can find good reasons to go to any team in the league..

One nice part that caught my eye was this:

Quote:

Jokinen says it's too early to tell where he'd sign, but he is intrigued by Minnesota. He thinks it's a better team that it finished last year and says Finns Mikko Koivu, Niklas Backstrom and Antti Miettinen "love playing there" and raved about it throughout the Olympics.

That was really nice to hear, well read... It's nice to know that Mikko, Backs & Mittens are at least happy here.

Anywho, check out the article, like I ssaid, it's a good read...

READ HERE

From: http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi.../97493744.html

se7en 06-30-2010 03:12 PM

Oh & as I mentioned in another thread, I'm bringing back the nickname "juice", I'm not letting OJ Simpson ruin a perfectly good nickname for a player that has "OJ" for initials...

Surly Furious 06-30-2010 04:32 PM

Would the Wild sign Turkey Girl as well?

TheTenderness 06-30-2010 04:48 PM

I like the idea of a Kobasew-Jokinen-Bouchard line, assuming a healthy Butch and a productive Joker of course. Given their styles of play, it seems like they would go together like PB and J. Get it? PB and J? I hope we sign him and they play together just so I can use that nickname.

bozak911 06-30-2010 05:05 PM

We would still be one center short, but Brodziak can fill into his old role.

I find it particularly enlightening to hear what Havlat had to say about what he prefers to play with at center; either a worker (like Brodziak) or a play maker.

I tell you... a team rolling three lines of;
Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Latendresse - Brodziak - Havlat
Kobasew - Jokinen - Bouchard

Would be difficult to shut down. Puck possession... Defensive forward on each line...

Do a fourth line of;
Clutterbuck - Konopka - Staubitz

*shrugs*

What do I know, though...

Surly Furious 06-30-2010 05:29 PM

Olli likes to shoot, so putting him with either Havlat or Butch makes sense. I could see Havlat setting up Jokinen, who shoots, and Latendresse gets the rebound and scores.

nickschultzfan 06-30-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 26633497)

I find it particularly enlightening to hear what Havlat had to say about what he prefers to play with at center; either a worker (like Brodziak) or a play maker.

Would be difficult to shut down. Puck possession... Defensive forward on each line...

Do a fourth line of;

*shrugs*

Although Richards clearly didn't notice, Havlat and Lats were their hottest when they played with Brodziak. He is a hard worker who goes after loose pucks and a big body to throw some muscle around.

During the 20 games or so that Brodziak played with Havlat and Lats, Brodziak was on a 60-point pace, Havlat an 80-point pace, and Lats on a 40-goal pace. I'm not saying that magic is going to happen again (or over a whole season), but it clearly worked.

bozak911 06-30-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 26634567)
Although Richards clearly didn't notice

Do you think he would notice a pink elephant dancing on his nose?

:rant::rant:

nickschultzfan 06-30-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 26634615)
Do you think he would notice a pink elephant dancing on his nose?

:rant::rant:

Well clearly he thought Ebbett and his 5 points was a better option. :facepalm:

bozak911 06-30-2010 06:11 PM

How about:

"LINE CHANGE! LINE CHANGE!"

When the opponent had the puck...

:help:

BigT2002 06-30-2010 06:22 PM

And of course.....another Finnish player lol

rynryn 06-30-2010 07:08 PM

soon " he's Finnish" will be added to a list of reasons why we want a player offered in a trade proposal.

Dr Jan Itor 06-30-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rynryn (Post 26635828)
soon " he's Finnish" will be added to a list of reasons why we want a player offered in a trade proposal.

Yeah, I pity whoever tries to take Haula from us.

TaLoN 06-30-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by se7en (Post 26630258)
Oh & as I mentioned in another thread, I'm bringing back the nickname "juice", I'm not letting OJ Simpson ruin a perfectly good nickname for a player that has "OJ" for initials...

You sounds like Randall in Clerks 2.

saywut 06-30-2010 07:51 PM

I just don't see why Jokinen would sign here to center Bouchard and Kobasew, if he's coming its to play with Havlat and Latendresse. Brodziak played OK with them, but Jokinen would be an upgrade. Brodziak is more suited to our 4th line with Clutterbuck and Staubitz, while a motivated James Sheppard could mesh with Kobasew and Bouchard.

I like Jokinen, he's the best UFA center out there this year, but if the term or salary isn't right he's not the kind of player I'd overpay for. He's being criticized for having 50 points last year while players like Cullen and Lombardi are getting praise when they've combined for 1 season of 50+ points(Lombardi last year). He worked hard for the Flames, just was too focused on setting up Iginla and when not with him he didn't mesh with anyone on the team.

WildisLaw 06-30-2010 08:16 PM

I'd sign him for 1-2 years. He just has to do what he did in florida. Focus more on shooting and with havlat or pmb feeding him the puck it will be deadly. Maybe even switch him on the first line. Take 3-400 shots a season, he would shot everytime he got the puck and it worked. He will score 30+ goals. I could see this being a career year for him with havlat or pmb setting him up. Sounds like a perfect fit.

bozak911 06-30-2010 09:16 PM

I pencil him in with a healthy Bouchard because Juice is also what Bouchard needs in order to be productive.

Latendresse and Havlat proved they can be productive with Brodziak.

Putting Juice in between Kobasew and Bouchard gives us three puck possession lines, each with a solid defensive forward (or two with Koivu+Mittens). Scoring by committee works for a lot of teams.

I could speculate on goals for each one of those lines;
24+24+22=70
28+16+27=71
21+30+17=68

That's 210 goals out of just three lines.

...but a lot of ifs...

MK9 06-30-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 26633497)

Do a fourth line of;

*shrugs*

I gotta say, I actually like those lines. Konopka or Armstrong would be cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saywut (Post 26636505)
I just don't see why Jokinen would sign here to center Bouchard and Kobasew, if he's coming its to play with Havlat and Latendresse. Brodziak played OK with them, but Jokinen would be an upgrade. Brodziak is more suited to our 4th line with Clutterbuck and Staubitz, while a motivated James Sheppard could mesh with Kobasew and Bouchard.

A what? :huh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildisLaw (Post 26636956)
I'd sign him for 1-2 years. He just has to do what he did in florida. Focus more on shooting and with havlat or pmb feeding him the puck it will be deadly. Maybe even switch him on the first line. Take 3-400 shots a season, he would shot everytime he got the puck and it worked. He will score 30+ goals. I could see this being a career year for him with havlat or pmb setting him up. Sounds like a perfect fit.

That's the thing with Jokinen in Calgary. Seems like they tried to make him a setup man instead of a shooter. Guess I think they tried to put a square peg in a round hole.

BigT2002 06-30-2010 09:45 PM

I won't mind it, and hopefully Saku will come as well. That would give us probably one of the best top to bottom center combinations in the league. Watch them fight over that 2nd line!

BigT2002 06-30-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rynryn (Post 26635828)

I wouldn't doubt that one either :biglaugh: we just need Timonen and we'd pretty much have their national team :biglaugh:

MK9 06-30-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT2002 (Post 26638597)
I won't mind it, and hopefully Saku will come as well. That would give us probably one of the best top to bottom center combinations in the league. Watch them fight over that 2nd line!

While I'd be absolutely thrilled if we got them both, with the money, I don't see it happening. OJ will likely get 4-4.5 at least. Koivu I don't see getting any less than $2.5. After signing Latendresse and Koivu, that's probably not going to leave enough for a defenseman as well.

I really don't see them signing more than 2 guys to be honest. My guess (and really, I do kind of hope I'm wrong) but it'll be a center and a reasonable dman. IF they do pick up a depth forward, it'll be on the cheap. Somewhere in the 1-1.5 mil range I'd bet.

rynryn 06-30-2010 09:50 PM

whatever he says, I just didn't get the sense that he was keen on coming here. If it's a reasonable contract I'm all for it--a shooter would be preferable to a playmaker (saku) as things stand.

BigT2002 06-30-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK9 (Post 26638669)
While I'd be absolutely thrilled if we got them both, with the money, I don't see it happening. OJ will likely get 4-4.5 at least. Koivu I don't see getting any less than $2.5. After signing Latendresse and Koivu, that's probably not going to leave enough for a defenseman as well.

I really don't see them signing more than 2 guys to be honest. My guess (and really, I do kind of hope I'm wrong) but it'll be a center and a reasonable dman. IF they do pick up a depth forward, it'll be on the cheap. Somewhere in the 1-1.5 mil range I'd bet.

Who says we need to sign another D-man? We have enough that could rotate that last pairing. Maybe even sadly trade out Schultz or something you free up another $3.5M.

MK9 06-30-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rynryn (Post 26638684)
whatever he says, I just didn't get the sense that he was keen on coming here. If it's a reasonable contract I'm all for it--a shooter would be preferable to a playmaker (saku) as things stand.

Guess I don't see how you got a feeling on his intentions one way or the other from what was written. :dunno:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT2002 (Post 26638828)
Who says we need to sign another D-man? We have enough that could rotate that last pairing. Maybe even sadly trade out Schultz or something you free up another $3.5M.

Guess I think we could use one. And it's been mentioned a few places. Unless Barker can start moving that puck all over the place.

I'd be happy to see Schultz get moved. I don't dislike him, but he's honestly really easily replaceable for less than he's making.

I'm just saying (and it may be just what I'm used to from the DR era) I doubt we make a 'big' signing. I'd love to be wrong.

BigT2002 06-30-2010 10:02 PM

I'm playing wishful thinking as I always do the eve before UFA