HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   GDT: Game 7 Flyers @ Tampa Bay; 7pm EDT, ESPN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=79429)

GKJ 05-22-2004 02:00 AM

GDT: Game 7 Flyers @ Tampa Bay; 7pm EDT, ESPN

I'm making the GDT, not only because I can, but there is a certain reason, one for which I am not going to say ;)

Looking back in recent history, there has been pretty good evidence of the winter sports champions (not just hockey, but basketball as well) where a champion has to go through a heart breaking experience in order to truly learn to know what it takes to win. Looking back in hockey, there has been:

In 1992, the New York Rangers lose in the 2nd round to the eventual Stanley Cup Champions (Pittsburgh) and then missed the playoffs in 1993 before winning in 1994.

1994, a young group rising group of New Jersey Devils come into Game 6 of their ECF series with the New York Rangers, up 3-2, they get a shot to take out the New York Rangers on home ice in Game 6. This being the infamous 'guarentee' from Mark Messier, where he had a hat trick en route to a 4-2 Ranger win, and THEN the Devils were trailing game 7 1-0 until Valeri Zelepukin scored with 9 seconds left in the game. As if this were any sign of 'their time' or 'destiny', Stephane Matteau, quite possibly the last player on the Ranger team, scored 4:24 into the 2nd OT and the Rangers move on to the finals, the Devils have to wait until next year where....

....they swept the Detroit Red Wings to win the Cup. The previous year, a Detroit team with just as high expectations, lost in round 1 to San Jose, the first time they ever made the playoffs, in 7 games. As if that wasn't bad enough, Detroit set a league record in 1996 with 62 wins only to fall short to the Colorado Avalanche. We know what happened in 1997.

In 1995, the Quebec Nordiques, quite the suprise 1 seed in the East (they missed the playoffs the year before but the year before that they had 104 points) with young players like Joe Sakic, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg and Owen Nolan, come out and get a team that struggled to even make the playoffs. However this wasn't an ordinary 8 seed, as they were the defending Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers. In the ultimate experience vs. youth matchup, the Rangers win the series before getting swept by the Flyers. In 1996 they moved to Denver and won the Stanley Cup.

And of course the Dallas Stars were upset by the Edmonton Oilers in round 1 in 1998 to Edmonton, then lost a tough series to Detroit in the WCF in 1998 (the Chris Osgood team) before beating Buffalo.

I think the afore mentioned situations hold the most value over any stat (7-2 in the playoffs on 1 day rest) over any stat you will find (1-4 in series when trailing 3-2). Teams don't win after being a good team for 1 year before that. It just doesn't happen. They must learn the heartbreak of losing to know what it takes to win.

Plus when you look at both teams, sure you can say both teams will come out fired up, and I don't like using this cliche, but the Flyers are going to want it more. They know this very well could be their last chance for a while. Tampa Bay knows that guys like Lecavalier, St. Louis, Kubina, Richards, Boyle, Sarich, these guys will be around for a while. This team will win a Stanley Cup some time in the forseeable future, but I don't see it happening now for them. This is part of the development of the team.

All this said, the Flyers should be able to win the game. I was more scared of game 6 more than game 7 but you'd have to be crazy not to be scared for a game 7, anything can happen, so I don't count Tampa out. This is my offical prediction:

Tampa 2 (St. Louis, Andreychuk)

Flyers 4 (Handzus, Primeau, Gagne, Radivojevic)

The Flyers have won 2 games in this series where they were down 1-0 and won the game. I think the issues will be if the Flyers were to go down 2-0. Whoever gets the 2 goal lead first will win. These teams are too wide open for this to be a 2-1 game.

Hire Sather 05-22-2004 02:06 AM

Good post, Josh.

You can throw out all the facts you want though, these are 2 different teams.

As much as id rather have tampa win though, I do feel Philly will win.

Tampa 3 (St. Louis, Kubina, Lecalvier)
Philly 5 (Primeau, Amonte, Handzus. Leclair (2) )

SaveByHexy 05-22-2004 02:09 AM

Well, I won't post any specific predictions, but Esche has to step up and be huge this game. He was stellar against Jersey and Toronto, but merely average in this series thus far, IMO. Hopefully Esche makes the saves he needs to and the Flyers can pot a few early, and let it snowball from there. I'd love to not have to sweat this one out....

SaveByHexy 05-22-2004 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Good post, Josh.

You can throw out all the facts you want though, these are 2 different teams.

As much as id rather have tampa win though, I do feel Philly will win.

Tampa 3 (St. Louis, Kubina, Lecalvier)
Philly 5 (Primeau, Amonte, Handzus. Leclair (2) )

That's a pretty bold prediction....

capn89* 05-22-2004 03:16 AM

The Flyers turned on something extra in the overtime period. Tampa had a couple good chances, but nothing like they had been getting regularly during the other games. Our D-men were crisp with the puck in OT, they didn't hesitate, they made quick decisions and when in trouble, made the safe play. Recchi, in my opinion was at fault for one of the key TB goals in game 6. He had the time to make the play up the boards and get the puck safely to the neutral zone, but instead chose to take an extra second to make something happened... St. Louis was on him, stripped the puck and TB ended up scoring on that sequence. You CAN NOT make plays like that in the conference finals, especially in a game 7.

The team has to be smart, patient, but not hesitant. Patience is dumping the puck to the neutral zone when you're pressured, hesitation is forcing a play or waiting too long and giving the Lightning a play the other way. I have no doubt in my mind that Hitch will get this message through to them, and I have no doubt that the majority of this team will realize that this is going to be their best chance to go all the way.

Go Flyers!

GoneFullHextall 05-22-2004 03:18 AM

i heard something today. suposedly before game 6, a TB reporter asked what Primeau is doing after todays game, and Primeau answered with:
"i have my bags packed for Tampa"
anyone else hear this? not sure if that was the exact question i couldnt remember how exactly it was worded.

REFUSE TO LOSE!

capn89* 05-22-2004 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
i heard something today. suposedly before game 6, a TB reporter asked what Primeau is doing after todays game, and Primeau answered with:
"i have my bags packed for Tampa"
anyone else hear this? not sure if that was the exact question i couldnt remember how exactly it was worded.

REFUSE TO LOSE!

I heard during the game, one of the ESPN guys said the same thing, that he wasn't promising a victory, but when asked by a Tampa reporter he said he was packed for the trip.

JOHNBOY 05-22-2004 05:25 AM

The Flyers will win tonight.

The Seeker 25 05-22-2004 06:12 AM

TB will come out flying in front of their fans, and it will be crucial not to fold under the initial wave. If they can weather the first 10 minutes or so, the Flyers should be OK.
One thing to worry about is how the Flyers will come out after such an emotional win on Thursday. Even with how huge this game is tonight, I hope they don't come out flat.
If the Flyers can stay out of the box and Esche plays well, I think they will win.

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!

NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER!!!!

Gert B Frobe 05-22-2004 07:36 AM

My prediction:

Esche will be focused

Flyers will come out hard

Gagne will play wing on Primeau's line again

Radivojevic will be the difference- no substitute for youth and speed.

Flyers 4 (Kapanen, Gagne, Radivojevic, Primeau en)

Tampa 2

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!

Mongoose 05-22-2004 10:13 AM

I have a feeling that the officiating is gonna be very big tonight. If Kerry Frasier is reffing, which he most likeluy will, we will be in luck. I also believe this will be one of the best game 7's in a long time.

Flyers 5

Tampa 3

donelikedinner 05-22-2004 10:22 AM

:bow: Lets Go Flyers, Lets Go! :handclap:

King Fish 05-22-2004 10:22 AM

Flyers will be up 2-0 late in the third and get the empty net goal for the shut out! This will be Esche's best game of the playoffs.

Flyers: Primeau, Roenick, Markov (empty net)
Tampa: .....None
FLYERS WIN 3-0!!! Bring on the Flames!

Flyman 05-22-2004 11:13 AM

I've just two things to say for tonight's game :

LET'S GO FLYERS !!!!

NEVER SURRENDER !!!!

:yo: :yo: :yo:

Bob Clarke Fan Club 05-22-2004 11:26 AM

Khabbi will continue his stellar playoffs but Esche will step it up and leave the Bolts shaking their heads tonite. Shots 35-32 Lightning...Score 3-1 Flyers. I hope. :help:

GoneFullHextall 05-22-2004 12:56 PM

Wow it doesnt get any better then this does it? 1 win, 1 game, 60 minutes of Flyer hockey and we are playing for Lord Stanleys Cup. I am really nervous about this game but at the same time i have a feeling deep down we are going to find away to win. This a special team. Unlike any Flyer team we have had here since the 87 team. These guys refuse to quit, they have been throu way to much to lose now, i have said that so many times before but it cannot be said enough.
Game 6 was such a rollercoaster ride of emotion i was drained after watching that one. So this is the way i see it.
Flyers come out flying but so do the lightning. But its the Flyers who strike first, Simon Gagne with the goal, then in the waining seconds of the first, Sammi Kapanen scores and its 2-0 for the good guys.
Lighning get a goal back from Modin in the 2nd and its 2-1, but Keith Primeau resores that all important 2 goal lead a short time later. halfway thru the 3rd the Lightning being the great team that they are pull within a goal on a goal by Fedotenko. But it will not be enough, Danny Markov will net a empty netter in the last seconds and the Flyers win 4-2.

REFUSE TO LOSE!

Brad* 05-22-2004 01:01 PM

Esche needs to have the biggest game of his life. If he plays like he did on Thursday I don't see them winning. Hopefully, it'll be as good as the last Game 7 the Flyers were in.

Teezax 05-22-2004 01:14 PM

Esche will play his game, he won't feel as pressured on the road as he did at home.
I think we'll find out who will win the game after the 1st period. As long as we don't have another disastrous 2nd we should be ok. Can't wait.

MojoJojo 05-22-2004 02:03 PM

It all comes down to Esche. He cant let in any more top shelf.

GKJ 05-22-2004 02:53 PM

Esche has had bad games before, I think he knows he wasn't good at all in Game 6, however the Flyers beat Tampa Bay at their game, and that is a big plus. Plus, Esche tends to come back big after a bad game.

flip588 05-22-2004 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
Esche will play his game, he won't feel as pressured on the road as he did at home.

I agree, there's less pressure for him on the road, which I think works to his, and thus our, advantadge.

GKJ 05-22-2004 03:53 PM

Esche doesn't have a name the fans can chant either, chanting 'Roobbbbbbbbert' is lame and you can't chant "eeeeeeesche"

JOHNBOY 05-22-2004 03:55 PM

:lol:

FlyerFire 05-22-2004 04:07 PM

Go Flyers

optimism on this board is awesome.right now we are one of three teams with a chance to put their names on the cup and we can make 2 tonite,then 1 against Calgary.LETS GO FLYERS.

REFUSE TO LOSE!!!! :yo:

swflyers8* 05-22-2004 04:15 PM

Let's go boys, it's right there waiting for you.

Beers are open, food is on the way and I am hoping no heartstopping games.

Just blow them out FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!