HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Proposal: Souray for Hamrlik (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=794456)

KnuklZ 07-01-2010 02:54 PM

Souray for Hamrlik

Souray wants out of Edmonton and has a history in MTL, we want Hamrlik out of MTL and he has a history in Edm. They both make the same money (Souray has 1 extra year).

The risk with Souray is that he played less than half the games in 2 of the past 3 years with Edm and had some surgery to his wrist and shoulder. If he is healthy (as he claims) I believe he brings more to the table that would help MTL than what Hamrlik provides. For one, the PP with Souray would be vastly improved and this would mean the end of MAB in MTL. He would also provide more toughness in the back-end.

I know that PG said the D is set and I doubt that Edm would entertain taking on an equally big contract back (tho less term), but just for arguments sake...would you make this deal from MTL pov?

neofury* 07-01-2010 02:55 PM

Dude he's like a 6 million dollar Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Probably more physical but probably even more of a liability defensively.

No thanks.

PyrettaBlaze 07-01-2010 02:56 PM

I don't really see how this could help the Habs...

TheBuriedHab 07-01-2010 02:56 PM

Whyyyyyy

Analyzer 07-01-2010 02:57 PM

PASS.

Do not want Souray. Would prefer Gilbert if we get a d from Edmonton. Well, Smid too.

chpartisan 07-01-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnuklZ (Post 26667842)
Souray wants out of Edmonton and has a history in MTL, we want Hamrlik out of MTL and he has a history in Edm. They both make the same money (Souray has 1 extra year).

The risk with Souray is that he played less than half the games in 2 of the past 3 years with Edm and had some surgery to his wrist and shoulder. If he is healthy (as he claims) I believe he brings more to the table that would help MTL than what Hamrlik provides. For one, the PP with Souray would be vastly improved and this would mean the end of MAB in MTL. He would also provide more toughness in the back-end.

I know that PG said the D is set and I doubt that Edm would entertain taking on an equally big contract back (tho less term), but just for arguments sake...would you make this deal from MTL pov?

Who is we?

JackZap 07-01-2010 02:58 PM

no. we need Hamrlik to come off the books for next year, we will need that 5.5 for raises

BigHabs 07-01-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 26668061)
PASS.

Do not want Souray. Would prefer Gilbert if we get a d from Edmonton. Well, Smid too.

Gilbert
Stortini

for

Hamrlik
Pacioretty

Ginu 07-01-2010 03:03 PM

Call Buffalo they just lost a third of their defense :laugh: they may be desperate for Hamrlik for 1 year

swimmer77 07-01-2010 03:03 PM

I think it's time for Hamrlik to have his own thread. LOL

prairie hab 07-01-2010 03:06 PM

I hate how everyone is desperate to move Hamrlik.

The biggest reason his play regressed last season is because he was over-played. When Markov went down for so many games, Hammer had to pick up significant minutes. By the time the playoffs rolled around, Hammer was running on empty.

If Hamrlik is managed properly with ice time (16-20 minutes per game) he will be fine. He cannot play 25 minutes a game anymore. I believe he was worth the contract Gainey originally signed him to. At worst, we only have him for this year - after this season he comes off the books at no cost to us. He is still a very viable top 4 defenseman. Look at the ridiculous money some d-men are getting today in free agency who do not even play an all-around game like Hamrlik does.

I loved Souray as a Hab........... but that was years a go. The guy is fragile, a bit of a locker room bully, and has multiple years left on a huge contract.

If there is a trade to be made for Hamrlik - fine. But lets not swap one steep contract for a worse one.

Player 61 07-01-2010 03:07 PM

Souray's hand is bad now, he will never shoot 100 MPH again... not worth it anymore.

Ozymandias 07-01-2010 03:12 PM

With Hamrlik, Gill gone next year, and Spacek gone by the year after (or sooner), assuming we keep Markov, we could easily go after Chara next year, and fill the other spot with a 2m D. And we'd still have cap space to sign back any player and still improve on the top 6.

The cap is still gonna go up 5% next year.

Souray? No thank you.

Chara-Markov-Subban for 14 mil?

Markov-Hammer-Spacek cost us 15,05 mil.... and with the cap going up, we're not really adding any salary.

Stiffler 07-01-2010 03:31 PM

The Sheldon Souray we would be getting is not the Sheldon Souray that left Montreal a few years ago. His wrist and shoulder injuries and his concussion have really affected his play; he wouldn't be userful at all in his current state.

Besides, the only reason we would move Hamrlik is to reinvest money elsewhere. He is not a bad player at all, so why trade him for a Souray?

xposbrad 07-01-2010 03:40 PM

Hammer comes off the books this year, I'd hold onto him. He can skate and is better on D. Souray is way too fragile now, not worth the risk for us. Hammer is still a decent dman, right now he's probably like our #3B guy..

Harpo 07-01-2010 03:43 PM

If Souray also had 1 year left on his contract, I would take the chance.

But just because of the extra year, no thank you.

habfan1968 07-01-2010 03:49 PM

If there is a step back in D, why pay a premium for it? Let's not forget how his defensive play hurt us. Sure nice PP goals but he really does not do that anymore. Keep Hammer and play him 15 - 18 mins and he is way better.

KnuklZ 07-01-2010 05:52 PM

thanks for the responses guys. The thought just crossed my mind when TSN indicated that Souray wanted out of Edm. Kinda torn, I want the old Souray back :) I guess alot of good arguments are made towards his injuries, sometimes bad D and the fact that his contract has 2 years left.

Reading through all the posts, it may be best to just ride out Hamr's contract and see what we get next year on the UFA market. The only big names that we need to resign next year I would not expect to get HUGE increases (ie Markov is already making close to 6m). We will definately have money to spend next year. Hey maybe we get more action than a backup signing *yawn* The crop of UFAs this year is somewhat underwhelming. We signed the best one anyways (Pleks). :yo:

Someone mentioned Z will be available next UFA season. Even though it would be great, chances are that he will resign in Boston before he even hits UFA status. One can only dream :D

Habs10Habs 07-01-2010 05:55 PM

Oh I suck, I accidentally hit YES.

Jean-Guy Drouin* 07-01-2010 05:57 PM

I like obth, and I would not mind keeping Hamrlik. I like him. But Souray had great years here and it would be great to have him too.

Spacek vs Souray. YESSS!!! Ive seen enough of Spacek.

KnuklZ 07-01-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 26678762)
Oh I suck, I accidentally hit YES.

lol...this was really a skill test and you failed :laugh::p:

Aurel Joliat 07-01-2010 06:02 PM

Hamrlik for Souray ? Anytime ! Sheldon was one of my favourite player when he was here. He is offensive, physical and a true leader

KnuklZ 07-01-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin (Post 26678852)
I like obth, and I would not mind keeping Hamrlik. I like him. But Souray had great years here and it would be great to have him too.

Spacek vs Souray. YESSS!!! Ive seen enough of Spacek.

Interesting thought. Spacek used to play for Edm during their cup run and has years left on his contract also (less money though). I just think at this point Souray is such a huge risk as he may never regain his shot and could reinjure himself due to his style of play.

KnuklZ 07-01-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat (Post 26679159)
Hamrlik for Souray ? Anytime ! Sheldon was one of my favourite player when he was here. He is offensive, physical and a true leader

Funny, poll shows 33% in favor of the trade...yet this is the first person to dare comment on this positively :D

Habs10Habs 07-01-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnuklZ (Post 26679091)
lol...this was really a skill test and you failed :laugh::p:

Sadly, this isn't the first time I've been told this. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat (Post 26679159)

Sheldon was one of my favorites as well. But you're thinking of the old Sheldon. The new Sheldon is banged up pretty bad, and not quite the player he used to be.