HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Speculation: Who Will be the Coyotes Number One Center in 2010-2011? (Poll) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=794749)

Rabbit 07-01-2010 09:44 PM

Who Will be the Coyotes Number One Center in 2010-2011? (Poll)

As we watch Lombardi walk, who do you think will fill the void of number one center?

I am going to vote player via trade, mainly because of the limited amount of money we have to sign any big time centers in FA (if there are any left) and due to the fact that Don Maloney has stated he is not going to put that kind of pressure on a young prospect again.

Many of you will say moving Wolski to center, but I question his faceoff abilities, and we all know what it is like to have a number one center that can't win faceoffs (Jokinen)

Thoughts? Comments?

gra 07-01-2010 09:50 PM

I have no confidence in the stupid NHL so Wolski at center!

Naych_PHX 07-01-2010 09:50 PM

It's pretty much 99% certain it will be Wolski. As has been reported by Dave Vest.

hao chi 07-01-2010 09:54 PM

Wolski will center the first line, I'm sure of that. A better question will be who centers the second line, which I think will be Turris.

Matzel 07-01-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hao chi (Post 26687040)
Wolski will center the first line, I'm sure of that. A better question will be who centers the second line, which I think will be Turris.

B-I-N-G-O!

Scary but true. A Wolski/Turris one/two in the centre does not give me much confidence and my guess is that the Ducks, Kings, Stars and Sharks are already smiling as they glance at the Coyotes depth chart. :shakehead

rt 07-01-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hao chi (Post 26687040)

Lets sign Belanger and let KT develop in the A.

XX 07-01-2010 11:12 PM

I love how everyone is so gun shy about Turris yet they haven't seen the kid skate a shift in the NHL since he upped his game and put on more weight. Give him a chance.

YotesFan 07-01-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matzel (Post 26687774)
B-I-N-G-O!

Scary but true. A Wolski/Turris one/two in the centre does not give me much confidence and my guess is that the Ducks, Kings, Stars and Sharks are already smiling as they glance at the Coyotes depth chart. :shakehead

I don't think they're smiling when they see Hanzal/Fiddler, Hanzal is a beast and does a great job of shutting down top line centers. Fiddler is tough too.

I agree though, unless Turris has put on weight and plays with an edge, that 1/2 punch looks really soft.

Also I'm sure we'll sign another veteran center with Lombardi gone and Stempniak possibly walking.

hao chi 07-02-2010 12:00 AM

Does Wolski and Turris really sound worse than Lombardi and Lang? I really wish we could have signed Lombardi, but I'm liking our top two centers more than last year's. After his very strong second half of the season and an off-season where he can actually train, I'm confident Turris can at least produce more than Lang did and have a better PPG average.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS 07-02-2010 08:04 AM

Tippett thinks Wolski can play Center

I guess I'm on board now.

Quote:

After talks with Lombardi's camp broke down because Maloney felt his contract demands were "off the charts,"the GM and Tippett huddled and decided Wolski could move into the middle, which would negate the need to look for a center on the open market.

"Looking at the center ice market there weren't a lot of people available,"Maloney said. "Wolski played center at junior and excelled his last year playing junior. He's creative and it gives him more touches with the puck. He wants to play center.”
"Obviously there is a leap of faith that we can put Wojtek in the middle. But, in talking to Tip, he said, we can make him a center, teach him and help him. That's the one very positive thing about this coaching staff is they'll make it happen.”
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533604

RemoAZ 07-02-2010 04:35 PM

It's either Wolski, Turris or someone that doesn't deserve to be there producing 4th line points, aka not what we need.

rookieScout 07-06-2010 12:06 AM

well turris still has to win a spot on the team. he didn't exactly light the ahl on fire, but i suppose due to organizational need he may slot in anyways. i think another year in the ahl wouldn't hurt. my .02

hanzal could slot into the 2nd line center role, but top line it's wolski's to lose. i'd like to see hanzal with a little more ice time in more offensive situations. i think tikhonov can play center also, but very likely needs more experience. still he may surprise in camp.

i see coyotes acquiring another center at some point though.

gollybass 07-06-2010 12:41 AM

I dunno, Turris pretty much did light it up 2nd half after he found his game, more than a point a game down the stretch must be considered lighting it up, and at least gets him a look.

rt 07-06-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollybass (Post 26770648)
I dunno, Turris pretty much did light it up 2nd half after he found his game, more than a point a game down the stretch must be considered lighting it up, and at least gets him a look.

He was a little under a point per game during his final thirty eight games, which is very nice. Now, I'd like to see if he can build on that, down in the AHL. Once he can add the conistency to produce at, or above, that level, throughout an entire season, I'll say he's earned his shot. By the way, the idea of being patient is for his benefit.

wpgyotes 07-06-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 26772415)
He was a little under a point per game during his final thirty eight games, which is very nice. Now, I'd like to see if he can build on that, down in the AHL. Once he can add the conistency to produce at, or above, that level, throughout an entire season, I'll say he's earned his shot. By the way, the idea of being patient is for his benefit.

I understand where you're coming from, but if Turris is physically able to survive in the NHL (he clearly wasn't at that point in his rookie campaign) then I feel he's actually better served playing in the NHL from a development standpoint. Playing on a line with Upshall or Whitney or whoever will do MORE for his game than trying to look good playing alongside Jeff Hoggan.

I think the AHL is a quality league and many players benefit from time down there, but Turris is a top three pick and should shoulder some responsibility 3-4 years removed from his draft year. Quite frankly, we need him to step up eventually--whether he earns that promotion this year remains to be seen, but let's try him out before enacting Plan B (Andrew Ebbett).

My bold prediction that will likely come back to haunt me next April: Turris will score more goals than Lombardi in 2010-11.

TeamTippett 07-06-2010 12:15 PM

Question: I think we all agree that this season (whether it's in San Antonio or Glendale) is a make-or-break season for the little guy (Turris) But if he doesn't show some significant signs of improvement do we consider him a bust (A bust at #3) after this season concludes? JVR (granted on the 4th line) & Kane are both playing NHL hockey at this stage in their careers.

wpgyotes 07-06-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamTurris (Post 26776408)
Question: I think we all agree that this season (whether it's in San Antonio or Glendale) is a make-or-break season for the little guy (Turris) But if he doesn't show some significant signs of improvement do we consider him a bust (A bust at #3) after this season concludes? JVR (granted on the 4th line) & Kane are both playing NHL hockey at this stage in their careers.

Sam Gagner and David Perron have already played well over 200 games in the NHL, but I'm hopeful Turris has a higher ceiling than either of those two. Looking back at that first round, there are a lot of players who have yet to break into the league, and others who have been written off completely. I remember that '07 draft being considered a bit of a weak class and that seems to be coming true, though every draft has their busts/surprises. Hopefully Turris puts those questions to rest next season.

zz 07-06-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

I think the most important thing is whether or not he improves every season. As long as his curve goes up, you'd be crazy to call him a 'bust'. So far, slowly but surely, it looks like it's been going up steadily.

Boedker is more concerning IMO. He seemed to stagnate / regress last year. That's bad.

wpgyotes 07-06-2010 12:22 PM

Jamie Benn was selected in the fifth round in '07 and he's considered a higher end prospect right now, or at least certainly further along in his development.

Born a month apart (Turris is younger), they both played in the BCHL in their draft year.

Benn: 2006-07 Victoria Grizzlies BCHL 53 42 23 65
Turris: 2006-07 Burnaby Express BCHL 53 66 55 121

...Benn wisely went the WHL route for two seasons while Turris went the collegiate route and then got thrown into the NHL the next season. Hard to argue with the Coyotes selecting Kyle at the time, but Benn benefited from two years of junior and a long playoff run in the AHL this past spring after a full year in the NHL.

zz 07-06-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 26772415)
Once he can add the conistency to produce at, or above, that level, throughout an entire season, I'll say he's earned his shot.

I think this is where having Tippett coaching instead of Gretzky should help. The guy doesn't make risky gambles based on projections. He'll pick the roster that has the best chance to win now. Turris will need to show he can help right away or he'll be dismissed. I'm not too worried.

PhoPhan 07-06-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz (Post 26776545)
I think the most important thing is whether or not he improves every season. As long as his curve goes up, you'd be crazy to call him a 'bust'. So far, slowly but surely, it looks like it's been going up steadily.

Boedker is more concerning IMO. He seemed to stagnate / regress last year. That's bad.

This. Turris doesn't need to be a 90-point player this year to justify his selection, but if he at least looks like he belongs in the NHL (if, in fact, that's where he ends up), I'll be satisfied. It's hard to put a number on it, but south of the 40 points, I'd be a bit worried. If he plays the entire season in Phoenix, I'm expecting a 40- or 50-point year, which I know would put him near the top of the team's scoring list, but those aren't astronomical expectations by any means.

As for Boedker, he absolutely needs a full year in the AHL, and he needs to quit sulking, if that's what his problem is. He needs to be smarter in the defensive end and more confident in the offensive one, and he needs to bust his ass to be the best player on that team. He certainly has the best tools.

rookieScout 07-07-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

nah he was rushed though...hard to compare with kane and jvr. different players, different development paths

i think turris probably took a step back in his first stint in the nhl. would have been far better off in the ahl

kingbrutis 08-10-2010 07:23 AM

If Wolski stays healthy 70-80 points. I think our PP will be in the top half of the league.

Vip 08-10-2010 11:45 AM

Turris needs atleast 1 or 2 more seasons in SA. If we bring him up this season its a huge mistake.. That's why the coyotes are so horrible at developing prospects, we always rush them into the big boys league. Does'nt work that way.
-just my opinion.

Scottrocks58* 08-10-2010 12:56 PM

Two years ago, we simpley had no choice but to bring all the kids up. Maloney, for all the good he has done with the team, screwed up. There were too many teenagers rushed up. Turris had a sneak peak the year before at season's end for a game or two and it was clear that he was not yet NHL calibre.

I think that the Coyotes got caught with very poor roster management and took a chance that backfired on them.