HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Giroux (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=795349)

Que Sera Sera 07-03-2010 01:10 AM

Oilers Sign Alex Giroux

http://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug
AHL depth.

N O T O R I O U S 07-03-2010 01:11 AM

Nothing special Selected by Ottawa Senators in round 7

Vomiting Kermit* 07-03-2010 01:11 AM

Apparently it's a one way deal.

N O T O R I O U S 07-03-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb (Post 26718815)
Apparently it's a one way deal.

So he is gonna be on the team next year?

GKJ 07-03-2010 01:13 AM

I figured they might give him a shot. Alex Giroux needed a bad team to sign him because now he'll get a chance to play.

Habitat 07-03-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karzanPalani (Post 26718803)

Ya round 7 but this guy is way to good for the AHL. I think being a rebuilding NHL team this will benefit him and he'll be a stud.

cbjerrisgaard 07-03-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karzanPalani (Post 26718842)
So he is gonna be on the team next year?

Just means he make NHL money even if he is in the AHL - would have to clear wavers to be sent down as well

no promise he is on the team, but makes it a more difficult move to send him down

carlweezer* 07-03-2010 01:15 AM

one way deal means nothing, if he doesnt make the team it means:

A: he sucks bad because the Oilers will be bottom feeders next year
B: they can call him but he has to go thru waivers, chacnes are nobody will pick him up

N O T O R I O U S 07-03-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 26718855)
I figured they might give him a shot. Alex Giroux needed a bad team to sign him because now he'll get a chance to play.

Edmonton is a bad team?:help:
He shouldn't get more than 1 min a night I hate this signing brutal

taunting canadian 07-03-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karzanPalani (Post 26718889)
Edmonton is a bad team?:help:
He shouldn't get more than 1 min a night I hate this signing brutal

This is another of those signings that's impossible to hate unless you're being totally irrational.

If he sucks, he gets sent down to the minors or claimed off waivers. Zero cap impact, zero impact on anything other than having possibly a solid player for the AHL team (which needed the help, they sucked last year). If he doesn't suck, bonus.

What's to hate?

oilersfan87 07-03-2010 01:22 AM

I think this guy has a good chance at being a solid NHLer. Good signing.

Que Sera Sera 07-03-2010 01:23 AM

Well put. I don't see any way to dislike this, yet another smart move from the Oilers organization.

Lion 07-03-2010 01:23 AM

I love this signing, this guy dominates the AHL and will help the development of some of our prospects down there.

Tavaresmagicalplay* 07-03-2010 01:26 AM

How long before he requests a trade?

Spawn 07-03-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karzanPalani (Post 26718803)

The Oilers also had the worst AHL team in the league last year. This guy will go a long way into helping that team win games. He may not cut it in the NHL, but he's the best goalscorer there is in that league. He scored 50 goals last year and 60 the year before. No one else cracked 40 in either year. 200 points in his last 138 AHL games.

If it costs the Oilers an extra few hundred thousand to have him on the farm team I'm all for it. They've said that they are very committed to making the farm team better. And hell, maybe he'll be able to show something in camp and surprise some people. If not, who cares he can help the AHL team boat loads.

LickTheEnvelope 07-03-2010 01:32 AM

AHL Superstar. 103 points last year (50 goals)... 60 goals and 97 points 2 years ago.

For some reason could never crack the Caps...

N O T O R I O U S 07-03-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 26719109)
The Oilers also had the worst AHL team in the league last year. This guy will go a long way into helping that team win games. He may not cut it in the NHL, but he's the best goalscorer there is in that league. He scored 50 goals last year and 60 the year before. No one else cracked 40 in either year. 200 points in his last 138 AHL games.

If it costs the Oilers an extra few hundred thousand to have him on the farm team I'm all for it. They've said that they are very committed to making the farm team better. And hell, maybe he'll be able to show something in camp and surprise some people. If not, who cares he can help the AHL team boat loads.

2 or 3 hundreds thousand is nothing but i just don't see him being on the team when our team pretty much look's like this

Hall Gagner Hemmer
Pajaarvi Horcoff Eberle
Cogliano Brule Penner
Jones Fraser Stortini

Spawn 07-03-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karzanPalani (Post 26719211)
22 or 4 hundreds thousand is nothing but i just don't see him being on the team when our team pretty much look's like this

Hall Gagner Hemmer
Pajaarvi Horcoff Eberle
Cogliano Brule Penner
Jones Fraser Stortini

Chances are he wont be in the NHL, he'll be in the AHL. The 1-way deal is a great incentive for an AHL guy. It's a big thing to be making NHL money in the minors.

Make no mistake, this was almost assuredly a deal that will end up with a superstar AHL hockey player. The Oilers will give him his shot and if/when he can't cut it they'll send him down to the minors.

LickTheEnvelope 07-03-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karzanPalani (Post 26719211)
2 or 3 hundreds thousand is nothing but i just don't see him being on the team when our team pretty much look's like this

Hall Gagner Hemmer
Pajaarvi Horcoff Eberle
Cogliano Brule Penner
Jones Fraser Stortini

Edmonton is rushing all the kids in again? :handclap: And nothing changes.

SK13 07-03-2010 01:35 AM

He'll get a shot in camp, but when he doesn't crack the team he'll clear waivers and play for NHL money on the farm.

Seeing as how he's probably one of the three best AHL players in the world, it'll be of help to us. It's clearly a huge organizational goal for the OKC Barons to be decent out of the gate. Probably moreso than the Oilers being good right away.

N O T O R I O U S 07-03-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope (Post 26719256)

Haters gonna hate always.

SK13 07-03-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Edmonton is rushing all the kids in again?

No, no guarantee they all make the team. But they will have a shot at it.

They're all ridiculously NHL ready. One of them dominated the AHL level at a level that frankly blows Shirokov and Schroeder out of the water, one was named one of the three best forwards at the Worlds Hockey Champions (with Malkin and Datsyuk no less) and the other is a first overall pick - they've made their NHL teams every year since Chris Phillips.

clefty 07-03-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard (Post 26718871)
Just means he make NHL money even if he is in the AHL - would have to clear wavers to be sent down as well

no promise he is on the team, but makes it a more difficult move to send him down

He had to clear waivers last year as well. And the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that one as well.

Seachd 07-03-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, because the Oilers are so well known for "rushing" youngsters.

Let's see, there was Sam Gagner, and...

Exactly.

Spawn 07-03-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clefty (Post 26719307)
He had to clear waivers last year as well. And the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that one as well.

If anything it makes him more difficult to send down because the team that sends him down (assuming the Oilers wouldn't take him back and put him immediately in the minors) than they would need to pay him an NHL salary. A bunch of teams would not be willing to do that.