HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Waxing the slide of your skate blades (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=795411)

Pierre Gotye 07-03-2010 07:58 AM

Waxing the slide of your skate blades

Any of you guys ever tried this?

Here in the summer the rink I play at ice is awful. The snow seems to stick to the blade slowing me down just a tiny bit.

wearethegreek 07-03-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 26721866)
Any of you guys ever tried this?

Here in the summer the rink I play at ice is awful. The snow seems to stick to the blade slowing me down just a tiny bit.

I would not recommend this. I haven't tried it but it's not exactly putting chains on a car tire.

GuitarAwesome 07-03-2010 05:12 PM

The fact you think the snow on your holder is slowing you down noticeably isn't a good thought. It really does nothing.

It's all in your head at this point, the snow build up doesn't affect you at all. And if bugs you, slide if off when you're on the bench.

Edited because I was a little more harsh than I should have been.

AIREAYE 07-03-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome (Post 26730890)
The fact you think the snow on your holder is slowing you down noticeably isn't a good thought. It really does nothing.

It's all in your head at this point, the snow build up doesn't affect you at all. And if bugs you, slide if off when you're on the bench.

agreed^ a lot of things about maintenance/changing of sports equipment is all psychological, but then again, people DO feel better even if the aspirin was a placebo right? :P

Pierre Gotye 07-03-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome (Post 26730890)

The ice I play in is very soft, sloppy and choppy.

meanolthing 07-03-2010 08:16 PM

The last time I did this, the pro-shop jockeys got cranky when I dropped off my skates for sharpening. They implied that if I did it again, they wouldn't sharpen for me again. Do not recommend. :-/

jsykes 07-03-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 26732453)
The ice I play in is very soft, sloppy and choppy.

And that is what is slowing you down, not the snow on your blades.

I'd recommend if its that soft, going to a larger hollow so the blade digs into the ice less and gives you more glide. Most guys I know go up about an 1/8 in the summer around here.