HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Canadian Junior Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   CHL Expansion? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=795958)

Sens Mile 07-05-2010 12:28 AM

CHL Expansion?
 
JUst curious if anymore locations have been discussed as venues to host CHL teams?

wjhl2009fan 07-05-2010 06:36 AM

In the ohl the only 2 that are talked about are north bay and cornwall.Will it happen unlikely if those citys were to get teams it likely would be relocated teams.

Alpine 07-05-2010 07:15 AM

I dunno..........just a thought but with 60 teams now maybe the CHL should wait for the talent pool to catch up to last expansion of............4-5 years ago?

timekeep 07-05-2010 08:15 PM

Winnipeg is always talked about, but just that. I heard that Trois Rivieres was trying to build a new rink, they should have one too. Maybe these won't be expansion sites but relocation maybe.

Ward Cornell 07-05-2010 09:10 PM

I hear that Kingston is wanting a OHL team!:naughty:

OHLArenaGuide 07-09-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine (Post 26751324)
I dunno..........just a thought but with 60 teams now maybe the CHL should wait for the talent pool to catch up to last expansion of............4-5 years ago?

The OHL hasn't expanded in a dozen years. I think they could support two more teams easily, the American talent base has exploded since then.

With an ownership group and an arena deal, the Buffalo area would be a slam dunk for the OHL.

sickest flow bro 07-09-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide (Post 26841109)
The OHL hasn't expanded in a dozen years. I think they could support two more teams easily, the American talent base has exploded since then.

With an ownership group and an arena deal, the Buffalo area would be a slam dunk for the OHL.

Would there be a better time than right after the World Juniors?!

jimmythescot 07-09-2010 04:46 PM

Victoria, BC please! It's strange a city of this size and prosperity has nothing higher than BCJHL and ECHL.

wjhl2009fan 07-09-2010 05:39 PM

OHLArenaGuide
I don't think buffalo would be a slam dunk at all.

OHLArenaGuide 07-14-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 26844632)
OHLArenaGuide
I don't think buffalo would be a slam dunk at all.

Thanks, Swami! Do you have any actual reasons for thinking that the OHL wouldn't be successful in a hockey-mad city of over a million people, where the NHL is literally the only game in town and an economically depressed population could be crying out for an affordable alternative?

wjhl2009fan 07-14-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide (Post 26914350)
Thanks, Swami! Do you have any actual reasons for thinking that the OHL wouldn't be successful in a hockey-mad city of over a million people, where the NHL is literally the only game in town and an economically depressed population could be crying out for an affordable alternative?

First i have talked to some buffalo residents and sabres fans and they told me they don't think it would work.Aslo you can't alwas a assume a good nhl market equals a good major jr market thats not alwas the case take toronto as a perfect exzample.I am not saying a major team would not work but i don't think it would be a smalm dunk as some seem to think.

OHLArenaGuide 07-15-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 26921059)
First i have talked to some buffalo residents and sabres fans and they told me they don't think it would work.Aslo you can't alwas a assume a good nhl market equals a good major jr market thats not alwas the case take toronto as a perfect exzample.I am not saying a major team would not work but i don't think it would be a smalm dunk as some seem to think.

You still haven't given a single reason. Also, is English your first language?

cfaub 07-15-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 26751236)
In the ohl the only 2 that are talked about are north bay and cornwall.Will it happen unlikely if those citys were to get teams it likely would be relocated teams.

I doubt North ay and Cornwall would be the favourites for any OHL expansion. Places like Woodstock and Chatham are probably far more likely to see teams than North Bay and Cornwall. They are in the middle of multiple successful OHL markets which allows for not only a known entity, the OHL to move in but they are also close enough for road trips by visiting fans to make the trips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide (Post 26841109)
The OHL hasn't expanded in a dozen years. I think they could support two more teams easily, the American talent base has exploded since then.

With an ownership group and an arena deal, the Buffalo area would be a slam dunk for the OHL.

I have to agree that Buffalo would likely provide another oppurtunity for expansion on the US side of the border. A strong hockey market that seems to take interest in their prospects, from reading the Buffalo threads on HF their seems to be a few fans who enjoy making the trip to catch their OHL prospects when they are in Niagara/St. Catherines playing the Ice Dogs. If you have a fan base that is willing to make the trip to catch their prospects you probably have a larger market that would take interest in their own JR. franchise.

I would like to see the OHL eventually go to 24 teams but it would likely be a 10 year process. A team or two in the next couple of season with another team or two over the next four to seven years following that.

There is also the possibility of teams moving before any new teams were brought in.

wjhl2009fan 07-15-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfaub (Post 26926812)
I doubt North ay and Cornwall would be the favourites for any OHL expansion. Places like Woodstock and Chatham are probably far more likely to see teams than North Bay and Cornwall. They are in the middle of multiple successful OHL markets which allows for not only a known entity, the OHL to move in but they are also close enough for road trips by visiting fans to make the trips.



I have to agree that Buffalo would likely provide another oppurtunity for expansion on the US side of the border. A strong hockey market that seems to take interest in their prospects, from reading the Buffalo threads on HF their seems to be a few fans who enjoy making the trip to catch their OHL prospects when they are in Niagara/St. Catherines playing the Ice Dogs. If you have a fan base that is willing to make the trip to catch their prospects you probably have a larger market that would take interest in their own JR. franchise.

I would like to see the OHL eventually go to 24 teams but it would likely be a 10 year process. A team or two in the next couple of season with another team or two over the next four to seven years following that.

There is also the possibility of teams moving before any new teams were brought in.

Cornwall very well could make a good ohl market.

OHLArenaGuide 07-16-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfaub (Post 26926812)
I have to agree that Buffalo would likely provide another oppurtunity for expansion on the US side of the border. A strong hockey market that seems to take interest in their prospects, from reading the Buffalo threads on HF their seems to be a few fans who enjoy making the trip to catch their OHL prospects when they are in Niagara/St. Catherines playing the Ice Dogs. If you have a fan base that is willing to make the trip to catch their prospects you probably have a larger market that would take interest in their own JR. franchise.

I'd ideally like to see the Sabres get involved in owning the team, sorta like the Flames owning the Hitmen or the Oilers owning the Oil Kings. They've proven that the cross-promotion business model can work and be a nifty revenue stream for an NHL club. Plus, as mentioned, there is no other hockey in Buffalo besides the Sabres, unless you count Canisius College in Atlantic Hockey, which I doubt most people in Buffalo would.

This would mitigate the need for a new arena too, as the new team could just sublet HSBC Arena for the time being.

cfaub 07-18-2010 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 26928241)
Cornwall very well could make a good ohl market.

The reason I and probably others question Cornwall is they were once a member of the Q and the O and eventually moved (Newmarket?). I don't know why they were moved, was it strictly ownership? If so then maybe a team can go back as the reborn Royals. I just don't know if they would be high on the list. Branch and co. are always looking for new markets to open up and I could see Branch make another push into the Toronto market if he feels the Memorial Cup is a success in Missy in 2011. No doubt it will be a success but what will make it a success, the Toronto market or the fans from around the league(s) as well as the invited big shots? I really hope he doesn't go there again.

wjhl2009fan 07-18-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfaub (Post 26965312)
The reason I and probably others question Cornwall is they were once a member of the Q and the O and eventually moved (Newmarket?). I don't know why they were moved, was it strictly ownership? If so then maybe a team can go back as the reborn Royals. I just don't know if they would be high on the list. Branch and co. are always looking for new markets to open up and I could see Branch make another push into the Toronto market if he feels the Memorial Cup is a success in Missy in 2011. No doubt it will be a success but what will make it a success, the Toronto market or the fans from around the league(s) as well as the invited big shots? I really hope he doesn't go there again.

No i can not see another team in toronto any time soon.Both gta teamns do not do well now attendance wise you don't add another team to already weak market attendance wise.I think the mem cup will be a success but mostly from people out of the gta.If and that would eb a hig if a third gta was added i think it would be a huge mistkaes to have 3 teams with poor attendance would not make the league look good and would not make toronto look good.

Kritty 07-19-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 26751236)
In the ohl the only 2 that are talked about are north bay and cornwall.Will it happen unlikely if those citys were to get teams it likely would be relocated teams.

Actually Thunder Bay is brought into that discussion regularly so I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

playthetrap* 07-19-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritty (Post 26992746)
Actually Thunder Bay is brought into that discussion regularly so I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

Thunder Bay??? Their closest rival would be the Soo an that's even a good 8 hour trek. It would take the rest of the OHL no less than 12-16 hours to get there.:laugh:

Ward Cornell 07-20-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightsFan97 (Post 26993118)
Thunder Bay??? Their closest rival would be the Soo an that's even a good 8 hour trek. It would take the rest of the OHL no less than 12-16 hours to get there.:laugh:


There was serious talk about 3 years ago about ThunderBay wanting an OHL franchise.
Someone can correct me here but I believe Daryl Jones of Ice Edge Holdings (see Phoenix Coyotes) was the driving force behind it.

I do believe that the Buffalo area (emphasis on "area") would be a nice addition and would tie in nicely for a rivalry with Erie and Niagara.
Also though Rochester and Syracuse have successful AHL teams, with the booming minor hockey in that area they could IMHO support OHL team(s).

Of course there's always Frank Leahy who's willing to spend his wife's Bauer Skate's inheritance on an OHL team in Waterloo
but both Kitchener and Guelph would squash that application.

Here's a city that i really haven't heard mentioned yet and runs a successful JrB franchise is Stratford (population of 30,000+/-).
They would need a new arena but is a easy drive 3 hour drive for about half the teams in the OHL.

wjhl2009fan 07-21-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Cornell (Post 27002585)
There was serious talk about 3 years ago about ThunderBay wanting an OHL franchise.
Someone can correct me here but I believe Daryl Jones of Ice Edge Holdings (see Phoenix Coyotes) was the driving force behind it.

I do believe that the Buffalo area (emphasis on "area") would be a nice addition and would tie in nicely for a rivalry with Erie and Niagara.
Also though Rochester and Syracuse have successful AHL teams, with the booming minor hockey in that area they could IMHO support OHL team(s).

Of course there's always Frank Leahy who's willing to spend his wife's Bauer Skate's inheritance on an OHL team in Waterloo
but both Kitchener and Guelph would squash that application.

Here's a city that i really haven't heard mentioned yet and runs a successful JrB franchise is Stratford (population of 30,000+/-).
They would need a new arena but is a easy drive 3 hour drive for about half the teams in the OHL.

Don't assume because a market support pro that means they will support jr a.

sickest flow bro 07-21-2010 03:15 PM

Which expansion city would you pick if each league had one choice.

QMJHL- Trois-Rivieres QC or Fredericton NB
OHL- Cambridge or Cornwall
WHL- Winnepeg or Victoria

Ward Cornell 07-21-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 27027496)
Don't assume because a market support pro that means they will support jr a.

I stated Rochester and Syracuse not because of the pro teams but because of the fast growing minor hockey in that area.

Tigers1992 07-21-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Cornell (Post 27031693)
I stated Rochester and Syracuse not because of the pro teams but because of the fast growing minor hockey in that area.

I think Syracuse would be a good fit, distance may be a factor but who knows.

Not sure if there would be someone who would pay the fee, which would be 8-10 million i would assume?

Captain Esoteric 07-21-2010 04:52 PM

Just some crazy ideas:

Toronto, ON (Ricoh Coliseum): When they (MLSE) finally throw in the towel on the Marlies, if that day ever comes.

Abbotsford, BC: When the Heat end up moving (again)

Although I am not willing to bet on expansion, but who knows?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.