HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Line Combos: Your 2010-2011 Season Preview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=796096)

Fitzy 07-05-2010 12:55 PM

Your 2010-2011 Season Preview
 
So it appears as though the Rangers will sign Staal and Girardi and go into the regular season with Wade Redden in tow. While this is slightly premature, this is your opportunity to post a long, endless rant about the rangers anticipated lineup, camp, players, player battles, ect. If it looks interesting enough, some folks may actually read it before posting theirs.

Lets start. My anticipated 2010-2011 Rangers lineup.

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Zuccarello-Aasen
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Boogard

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
Redden-Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

1st line; Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik

I dont expect Christ to be the first line center all year. Look for Dubinsky to take that spot if EC struggle or slumps at any point during the year. I like EC, but he may even end up a healthy scratch for periods of time. But Prospal was re-signed, and he was most effective last season playing on Gaborik's line for around 65 games of the season. Much like last season, a lot will hinge on Gaborik's health, and big game ability.

2nd line; Dubinsky-Anisimov-Zuccarello-Aasen

Dubinsky adjusted to the LW position beautifully at the end of last season, and with out relative weakness in that position, he will start the season as a LW barring an unsuspected signing or Grachev making the team. He is the best of Prospal, Christensen, Dubi (Our top 6 guys) at playing without leaning on Gaborik, and is the reasonable player for this slot.
Anisimov we should look to for a breakout year. I have critiqued his speed (or lack thereof) but it is hard to deny that his wrist shot is the best on the team, and his stickhandling is phenominal. Package that with his Jagr-lite ability to control the puck along the boards and I think he has the package to be a great player.
I have Zuccarello-Aason winning the camp battle for a RW spot. He will either start top 6 or be a scratch, in my opinion.

3rd line; Avery-Drury-Callahan

This line will output a relatively modest offensive production, but will be very good at what it does. A great 2 way line with grinding and agitating ability. Drury and Callahan have natural chemistry, especially in their own zone, and Avery fits well onto the left hand side. This is the line I think is most likely to stick ogehter for much of the year, but cannot be expected to carry to much of the offensive load (15 goals from each would be great)

4th line; Prust-Boyle-Weise


Im unsure on how this will pan out. I am confident Prust will be back and in his 4th line role. Boyle, I see a possibility of a demotion, waiving and then to Hartford, but Sather may not be reay to giveup on the project he traded our 3rd for a year ago.
Weise I have here because i'd like to see him here, though it isnt altogether likely. he will likely be in a camp battle with MZA for the open RW spot, and Boogard may fill the 4th line permanently with Voros being the extra forward.

1st D pairing; Staal-Rozsival

Barring a major falling out, Staal will be back with a good long term deal with the Rangers and settled into the #1 spot as always. We will see if his late season burst in up ice rushes will continue.
This is a big year for Michael Rozsival. We cannot afford for him to have an early season slump, he must play well early and always to avoid forcing Redden into a top 4 spot (horrifying prospect)

2nd D pairing; MDZ-Girardi

Pretty much by default, MDZ is the 2nd pairing Left handed D. I believe that either Girardi or Rozsival will be his partner, but I prefer Girardi who plays better without Staal IMO. MDZ still a little over his head defensively in this role, a question is will Redden step it up enough to cover for a defensive shortneing bench situation where we need to preserve a lead.

3rd D pairing; Redden-Gilroy


If Redden indeed is on the team this year, he will have something to prove. I have said about all I need to say about him already.
Gilroy is interesting. I would prefer McD, Valentenko, or Sauer in this spot, but I anticipate another strong preseason from Matt and likely filling this spot.

Goaltending,nothing really needs to be said.

Camp Battles to watch

MZA vs Dale Weise; Both think they will be on the team this year. If MZA triumphs, ranger fans should be ecstatic about a new top 6 winger. If MZA struggles, Weise will likely make the team in the 3rd line spot, pushing Callahan up to 2nd. There is an outside possibility of both getting a spot.

McDonagh vs Gilroy

For the final D spot, McDonagh clearly wants to be fastracked to the NHL. Gilroy may be caught off guard and demoted, but we'll see.

Darkhorses to make the team;

Grachev-Maybe filling a LW hole to move Dubi to center, in this case Boyle is as good as gone

Valentenko; Nasty Russian defenseman may be what we need to stopgap the next few years until McIlrath is ready

Sauer; NHL ready 3rd pairing guy, may be a callup for injury or given a good shot, only if Redden is waived.

Stepan; Don't see it, some do.

Point predictions;

Gaborik; 40-45-85
Dubinsky; 18-34-52
Christensen- 16-36-52
Anisimov-22-25-47
Prospal-17-25-42
MZA- 15-25-40
Drury-15-17-32
Callahan 16-16-32
Avery 12-18-30
Weise 10-10-20
Prust 8-11-19
Boyle 5-9-14
Boogaard 2-2-4

MDZ 6-37-43
Staal 7-25-32
Rozsival 8-19-27
Girardi 9-16-25
Redden 2-12-14
Gilroy 4-7-11

UAGoalieGuy 07-05-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 26756114)
So it appears as though the Rangers will sign Staal and Girardi and go into the regular season with Wade Redden in tow. While this is slightly premature, this is your opportunity to post a long, endless rant about the rangers anticipated lineup, camp, players, player battles, ect. If it looks interesting enough, some folks may actually read it before posting theirs.

Lets start. My anticipated 2010-2011 Rangers lineup.

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Zuccarello-Aasen
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Boogard

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
Redden-Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

1st line; Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik

I dont expect Christ to be the first line center all year. Look for Dubinsky to take that spot if EC struggle or slumps at any point during the year. I like EC, but he may even end up a healthy scratch for periods of time. But Prospal was re-signed, and he was most effective last season playing on Gaborik's line for around 65 games of the season. Much like last season, a lot will hinge on Gaborik's health, and big game ability.

2nd line; Dubinsky-Anisimov-Zuccarello-Aasen

Dubinsky adjusted to the LW position beautifully at the end of last season, and with out relative weakness in that position, he will start the season as a LW barring an unsuspected signing or Grachev making the team. He is the best of Prospal, Christensen, Dubi (Our top 6 guys) at playing without leaning on Gaborik, and is the reasonable player for this slot.
Anisimov we should look to for a breakout year. I have critiqued his speed (or lack thereof) but it is hard to deny that his wrist shot is the best on the team, and his stickhandling is phenominal. Package that with his Jagr-lite ability to control the puck along the boards and I think he has the package to be a great player.
I have Zuccarello-Aason winning the camp battle for a RW spot. He will either start top 6 or be a scratch, in my opinion.

3rd line; Avery-Drury-Callahan

This line will output a relatively modest offensive production, but will be very good at what it does. A great 2 way line with grinding and agitating ability. Drury and Callahan have natural chemistry, especially in their own zone, and Avery fits well onto the left hand side. This is the line I think is most likely to stick ogehter for much of the year, but cannot be expected to carry to much of the offensive load (15 goals from each would be great)

4th line; Prust-Boyle-Weise


Im unsure on how this will pan out. I am confident Prust will be back and in his 4th line role. Boyle, I see a possibility of a demotion, waiving and then to Hartford, but Sather may not be reay to giveup on the project he traded our 3rd for a year ago.
Weise I have here because i'd like to see him here, though it isnt altogether likely. he will likely be in a camp battle with MZA for the open RW spot, and Boogard may fill the 4th line permanently with Voros being the extra forward.

1st D pairing; Staal-Rozsival

Barring a major falling out, Staal will be back with a good long term deal with the Rangers and settled into the #1 spot as always. We will see if his late season burst in up ice rushes will continue.
This is a big year for Michael Rozsival. We cannot afford for him to have an early season slump, he must play well early and always to avoid forcing Redden into a top 4 spot (horrifying prospect)

2nd D pairing; MDZ-Girardi

Pretty much by default, MDZ is the 2nd pairing Left handed D. I believe that either Girardi or Rozsival will be his partner, but I prefer Girardi who plays better without Staal IMO. MDZ still a little over his head defensively in this role, a question is will Redden step it up enough to cover for a defensive shortneing bench situation where we need to preserve a lead.

3rd D pairing; Redden-Gilroy


If Redden indeed is on the team this year, he will have something to prove. I have said about all I need to say about him already.
Gilroy is interesting. I would prefer McD, Valentenko, or Sauer in this spot, but I anticipate another strong preseason from Matt and likely filling this spot.

Goaltending,nothing really needs to be said.

Camp Battles to watch

MZA vs Dale Weise; Both think they will be on the team this year. If MZA triumphs, ranger fans should be ecstatic about a new top 6 winger. If MZA struggles, Weise will likely make the team in the 3rd line spot, pushing Callahan up to 2nd. There is an outside possibility of both getting a spot.

McDonagh vs Gilroy

For the final D spot, McDonagh clearly wants to be fastracked to the NHL. Gilroy may be caught off guard and demoted, but we'll see.

Darkhorses to make the team;

Grachev-Maybe filling a LW hole to move Dubi to center, in this case Boyle is as good as gone

Valentenko; Nasty Russian defenseman may be what we need to stopgap the next few years until McIlrath is ready

Sauer; NHL ready 3rd pairing guy, may be a callup for injury or given a good shot, only if Redden is waived.

Stepan; Don't see it, some do.

Point predictions;

Gaborik; 40-45-85
Dubinsky; 18-34-52
Christensen- 16-36-52
Anisimov-22-25-47
Prospal-17-25-42
MZA- 15-25-40
Drury-15-17-32
Callahan 16-16-32
Avery 12-18-30
Weise 10-10-20
Prust 8-11-19
Boyle 5-9-14
Boogaard 2-2-4

MDZ 6-37-43
Staal 7-25-32
Rozsival 8-19-27
Girardi 9-16-25
Redden 2-12-14
Gilroy 4-7-11

You think Boogie will double is goal production from over the last three years combined? lol

Fitzy 07-05-2010 01:11 PM

Of all the stuff, you dont like Boogaard scoring 2 goals? lol. I dont think its altogether outlandish.

Shelley had gone through huge goalless draughts before coming to the rangers as well.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-05-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 26756590)
You think Boogie will double is goal production from over the last three years combined? lol

As a spare forward no less.

HockeyGuy1985* 07-05-2010 01:17 PM

Ill wait a little longer than 4 days after UFA.

Ke11y96 07-05-2010 01:21 PM

I'd love to see sather go after both Bobby Ryan and Wisniewski from the Ducks...

Ryan and Wisniewski for Girardi, Rozsival, Dubinsky, and a 1st '11

Ryan-Stepan-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Boogie-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Souray (trade for him for nothing really)
MDZ-Wisniewski
McD-Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

Redden gets sent down and I wouldn't mind seeing Grachev take prospal's spot either and just letting the youth go at it with a couple of studs in Ryan and Gaborik.

Souray could be a pain in the ass but if he can still shoot it and play rough and tough he'll be fine paired next to Staal.

Christensen in my opinion was signed for like only 150,000 dollars more than Stepan, I think Rangers Brass want Stepan to take that first line spot honestly...and with how cheap prospal is, I bet they wouldn't mind moving both after camp Christensen and Prospal, if Stepan and Grachev show they're ready...

t3hg00se 07-05-2010 01:53 PM

I'm not penciling anyone in, Slats clearly isn't done. The top-9 looks pretty much exact though, I do disagree on the d pairing though, I for one don't think one of Gilroy or Redden will be there, perhaps both gone. McDonagh and Valentenko are going to make great attempts at cracking the lineup, I see both of them on par with Gilroy at this point.

Beacon 07-05-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 26756114)
Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Zuccarello-Aasen
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Boogard

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
Redden-Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

First of, Boo will play instead of Weise.

Second, this lineup is terrible. God awful. Definitely not playoff quality.

Tank! Tank! Tank!

DarthSather99 07-05-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 26756590)
You think Boogie will double is goal production from over the last three years combined? lol

He's never played with a playmaking center like Boyle before.

ruckus* 07-05-2010 01:59 PM

I think I'm one of the only people who doens't hate our team.

Don't mind Christensen and Prospal as stop gaps. Gaborik played well with both.

Really like that second line. Hoping Anisimov really comes on this year. Expectations on Dubi have wavered for me but I still have hope. I love the kid and want him here but as long as he keeps improving. Excited to see MZA's talent and what he can do.

Third line I think Drury could actually do something there. Let Aves and Cally do the dirty work. Get Dru to the front of the net and let him do what he's still okay at, and that's deflecting pucks and picking up garbage.

Grachev first call up when someone's injured. Play hard every night, hustle, and compete. Whatever happens this year happens.

NYROrtsFan 07-05-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 26757815)
First of, Boo will play instead of Weise.

Second, this lineup is terrible. God awful. Definitely not playoff quality.

Tank! Tank! Tank!

Only way this team can tank is if Henrik gets hurt... Otherwise, give up on that hope.

free0717 07-05-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 26757963)
I think I'm one of the only people who doens't hate our team.

Don't mind Christensen and Prospal as stop gaps. Gaborik played well with both.

Really like that second line. Hoping Anisimov really comes on this year. Expectations on Dubi have wavered for me but I still have hope. I love the kid and want him here but as long as he keeps improving. Excited to see MZA's talent and what he can do.

Third line I think Drury could actually do something there. Let Aves and Cally do the dirty work. Get Dru to the front of the net and let him do what he's still okay at, and that's deflecting pucks and picking up garbage.

Grachev first call up when someone's injured. Play hard every night, hustle, and compete. Whatever happens this year happens.

I agree what the line up will be but if the coaches really give the young guys a good look, this is what it should look like.


Dubinsky Christenson Gaborik
Avery Anisimov MZA
Grachev Stepan Callahan
Wiese Boyle Prust

extra forward: Boogaard

Rozival Staal
Girardi MDZ
McD Gilroy

Extra D man: Potter

Lundquist
Biron

NYRskate324 07-05-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717 (Post 26758285)
I agree what the line up will be but if the coaches really give the young guys a good look, this is what it should look like.


Dubinsky Christenson Gaborik
Avery Anisimov MZA
Grachev Stepan Callahan
Wiese Boyle Prust

extra forward: Boogaard

Rozival Staal
Girardi MDZ
McD Gilroy

Extra D man: Potter

Lundquist
Biron

and Drury is just gunna disappear?

Fitzy 07-05-2010 02:49 PM

This isnt a boo-hoo, this lineup isnt going anywhere thread, or at least was not its purpose.

Im interested to see how other predictions stack up on opening night, I think mine is pretty close.

I would love for Gilroy/Redden not to be on the team, but I think its unlikely.

offdacrossbar 07-05-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 26759275)
This isnt a boo-hoo, this lineup isnt going anywhere thread, or at least was not its purpose.

Im interested to see how other predictions stack up on opening night, I think mine is pretty close.

I would love for Gilroy/Redden not to be on the team, but I think its unlikely.

yeah well when you put it on paper and we get a chance to let it sink in, the magnitude of potential suckage is staggering.

and thats with an 82 game gaborik :help:

NYRAvery16NYR 07-05-2010 05:20 PM

Dubinsky {Richards/Savard} Gaborik
Grachev Anisimov MZA
Avery Prospal Callahan
Prust Drury Boogaard
{Extras Boyle,Christensen,{Stepan}}


Rosy MDZ
Staal Girardi
McD Souray

The King
Biron

I have a feeling Sather will pull off a trade for either Richards or Savard this summer{Not even going to guess who is involved in the deal on our side}, Same for Souray.Redden demoted. Christensen will be this years winner of the free occupancy of Tort's doghouse. I also think there is still a chance of Sather overpaying a UFA if a trade for a center DOESN'T occur, possibly Frolov. I'm hoping MZA is the real deal, I'm using his olympic performance as some proof he can hang with NHLers.

n8 07-05-2010 05:22 PM

it seems kinda early for one of these. We don't even what this team is gonna look like. Are Staal and Girardi gonna sign? If McD signs, I can see him making the team. Any more UFAs coming our way? Trades? Too many unknowns.

ruckus* 07-05-2010 05:25 PM

For the most part I agree with Fitzy's OP lines.

I'm not as confident Sather makes a huge deal. If anything I see another D man brought in.

No way Boogaard starts the season as an extra though. No way. Maybe once Torts realizes he's useless, but not right away.

HAPPY HOUR 07-05-2010 06:00 PM

Fighting for last place in the division with the Isles and last in the conf with the Panthers and fishies. Poor Hank. We can just as easily achieve that with Biron.

I just can't believe that this will be the roster to start next season.

Zuccarello Awesome* 07-05-2010 06:15 PM

Waive Redden

Buy out Drury

Then I think MZA makes the team, and one of Grachev / Stepan.

If it's Stepan:

Dubinsky Christensen Gaborik
Kovalchuk Anisimov MZA
Prospal Stepan Callahan
Prust Avery Boogard
Boyle

If it's Grachev:

Dubinsky Christensen Gaborik
Kovalchuk Anisimov MZA
Grachev Prospal Callahan
Prust Avery Boogard
Boyle

(or switch Anisimov and Prospal)




Staal Rozsival
Del Zotto Girardi
McDonagh *****

***** = Gilroy / Valentenko / Mitchell / cheap vet UFA




Without Kovalchuk, I'd still prefer Drury to be bought out.

Dubinsky Christensen Gaborik
Grachev Anisimov MZA
Prospal Stepan Callahan
Prust Avery Boogard
Boyle

I'd rather lose with that forward lineup than with Drury blocking Stepan or Grachev (assuming they're ready which I believe they will prove to be)

Fitzy 07-05-2010 06:22 PM

Drury isnt gonna be bought out, but if he was, it would have to be July 20th at the earliest.

2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667

While it would be great for this year, next year we have a serious problem, especially when trying to re-sign Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, and Del Zotto?.

Ive said before I think Drury stays here until the contract is up. He is the captain. Redden is an achievable goal to ditch, Drury is not.

MAYO 07-05-2010 06:24 PM

o.k...... So, worked with what we have with in the organization right now, no fantasy trade or wish list, and let me tell ya folks, it is pretty damn scary, I think we may be in for a very long season unless we seek help else where. I am thinking this team is lacking just two key players, nothing ridiculous like an 8 million dollar contract either. So, here it is, keep in mind, this is current roster or in the system players.

Vinny-Dubi-Gabby
Avery-Drury-Cally
M.Z.A.-A.A.-Evgeny
Prust-Boyle-Boo Man
E.C. starts on the bench

Staal-Girardi
Rosie-Mc D./Heikkinen
M.D.Z.-Valentenko

Yep..... bloody long season!

pdogfizzle 07-05-2010 06:34 PM

I doubt Boogie was signed for 1.65 million a year to sit on the bench....

Dubinsky-Christ-Gaborik
Callahan-Anisimov-Aasen
Prospal-drury-Avery
Boogie-Boyle-Prust
Weise

Rozival Staal
Girardi MDZ
McD Gilroy

Hank
Biron

Not a great team but an compete for a bottom playoff team. Should be interesting to see what Stepan and Grachev can bring. Maybe they'll make the team :yo:

CH2 07-05-2010 08:37 PM

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik

To start the season Torts will stick with his bread and butter. I fully expect these guys to carry the team the first month. I think by the end of the season Dubi could be back at center if there are injuries down the middle.

Grachev-Prospal-Callahan

My reasoning for this line is simple: Torts seems to like Grachev and by putting him with a veteran playmaker and a scrapping goal scorer (loosely) it will allow Grachev to learn the speed of the NHL game without being a liability in the transition game.

Prust-Anisimov-MZA

At the end of the season, by his own admission, Anisimov excelled because of the protection he had on the ice in the form of Prust and Shelley. This year Anisimov will have his head up more, being less prone to those big hits he was the victim of last year. Prust will be just a safeguard to get Anisimov comfortable into the season. MZA will be on the right as a means of giving AA another playmaker. For some reason this line just screams potential to me. I think it may be because Prust will be the banger and scrapper that Anisimov needs in the board play. MZA can float around while these two dig the puck out and go from there.

Avery-Drury-Weise

Anytime Torts has spoken to the media he has consistently brought up Weise without being prompted, I think he's going to win over the coaching staff in camp. In certain games I think he'll be substituted for Boogs. Drury will be moved up and down the lines throughout games for his defense and "clutch" play. Avery is Avery is Avery. In games where they need a little bit more of an agitator, I could see him taking Grachev's place.

Boogs/Voros

Meh.

Staal-Rosival

Rosival plays best with Staal.

MDZ-Girardi

Danny will be a little bit more responsible defensively but at the same time making sure MDZ has a voice in his ear giving him some defensive direction through the neutral zone. (If you look at where MDZ struggled last year, his transition D game was a kerfuffel.)

Redden-Gilroy/McD


I don't think they'll sign a UFA defenseman and until there is a need to actually clear salary for a trade, Redden will play. Gilroy and McD will share time because McD will need a game or two every so often just to recharge. Remember, college hockey players typically play 40-45 games a year, normally on Friday and Saturday nights. If there is a span of 3 or 4 games in 9 or 10 days, he could need a day off. Enter Gilroy.

Henrik
BBBBBron

Rustingo12 07-05-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAYO (Post 26764016)
o.k...... So, worked with what we have with in the organization right now, no fantasy trade or wish list, and let me tell ya folks, it is pretty damn scary, I think we may be in for a very long season unless we seek help else where. I am thinking this team is lacking just two key players, nothing ridiculous like an 8 million dollar contract either. So, here it is, keep in mind, this is current roster or in the system players.

Vinny-Dubi-Gabby
Avery-Drury-Cally
M.Z.A.-A.A.-Evgeny
Prust-Boyle-Boo Man
E.C. starts on the bench

Staal-Girardi
Rosie-Mc D./Heikkinen
M.D.Z.-Valentenko

Yep..... bloody long season!

Heikkinen?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.