HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Talk by Country (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Spanish Hockey! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=796557)

S E P H 07-06-2010 05:27 PM

Spanish Hockey!

Based through stats and reports I've heard that hockey in Spain is growing and they're getting pretty dang good! I know that Football and F1 will always be number 1 & 2 respectfully, but do you see Spain in 10-20 years becoming like Switzerland or worst case someone like Latvia?

Purple hippo 07-06-2010 05:44 PM

No, I cant see Spain becoming a yearly Top Division country, let alone a top 8 country in the next 10-20 years. They spent a long time in Division II and for the majority of that time, they were just a middle of the pack. They have been impressive last year but lets see how they do in Division I and assuming they get relegated, respond to that.
My best prediction for Spainish hockey is a Division I country that gets up to Top Division every so often but cant handle it. I believe they will need more than just 20 years to really get the ball rolling where they become a yearly Top Division country, I can see them turning into an Italy, France or Kazakhstan during the next 10-20 though.

What do you mean somebody like Latvia?

S E P H 07-06-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga (Post 26782352)
No, I cant see Spain becoming a yearly Top Division country, let alone a top 8 country in the next 10-20 years. They spent a long time in Division II and for the majority of that time, they were just a middle of the pack. They have been impressive last year but lets see how they do in Division I and assuming they get relegated, respond to that.
My best prediction for Spainish hockey is a Division I country that gets up to Top Division every so often but cant handle it. I believe they will need more than just 20 years to really get the ball rolling where they become a yearly Top Division country, I can see them turning into an Italy, France or Kazakhstan during the next 10-20 though.

What do you mean somebody like Latvia?

What I meant be Suiss is their hockey program has grown enormously while Latvia has always been average.

E: Also you think the next best countries are going to be France and Kazakhstan?

zorz 07-06-2010 05:54 PM

Realistically they could be something like Slovenia now in 10 years imo.

Purple hippo 07-06-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 26782475)
What I meant be Suiss is their hockey program has grown enormously while Latvia has always been average.

E: Also you think the next best countries are going to be France and Kazakhstan?

No, what I mean is all those countries are able to stay in Division I and every often they make it up to Top Division. This is what I can see Spain being in your time period.

I still believe they need more than 20 years to be able to stay in Top Division every year, then again this can all change my opinion if they preform well next year.

IIHFjerseycollector 07-06-2010 11:31 PM

they probably wont get much better unless they allow more imports in the spanish league. I think each year the allowance has gone lower and lower because they are trying to develop home grown players...

I personally heard from an import player in the Spanish league that its gotten less competitive each year they've limited the number of imports..

Their national team has been a upper level DIV II team and earned a spot in DIV I in 2011.They will probably never make the top level within the next 10 years. They are still a ways off from competing with even mid level DIV I teams. It will be interesting to see how they play in 2011 DIV I against
Italy, Hungary, Japan, Netherlands, South Korea

They have an outside chance vs Netherlands and South Korea.. other than that. no way.

Kiraly 07-07-2010 11:41 AM

Two years ago, a Spanish U18 team led by Adrian Betran, Juan Munoz, and Alejandro Pedraz defeated the soon-to-be-promoted Hungarian team 4-3. I remember thinking at that time that we willl be hearing more about these young players from Spain in the near future.

Two years later, as 19 year olds, these three players led the Spanish Mens’ team to promotion to Division 1. Besides these three players, 5 other players on the team were under the age of 20 and another half-dozen were in their early 20’s. This team is young and I think will only get better. I think within a few years – if not sooner – the Spanish Mens’ team will be a competitive regular member in Division 1.