HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Bruins in cap issues ala Hawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=796855)

RE-HABS 07-07-2010 11:58 AM

Bruins in cap issues ala Hawks

SI is reporting the Bruins are facing their own cap issues much the same as the Hawks are too. There is a suggestion that the Bruins would love to shed a larger salary like Ryder, Ference or Thomas, but doing so they would have to offer up a 1st rounder or Zach Hammill in such a trade.

If your the Habs would you swallow a one year of Ryder, a guy who has had success in Montreal and who could play in the top 6?

I'm not starting another bring back Ryder or whoever thread, but it would be nice to get that Toronto 1st rounder for only one year of $4 million, and who knows Ryder is in a contract year and may score 25-30 with Gomez and Gionta, or Pleks and Cammer???

We too would have to try and move salary, maybe a deal with the Islanders to get them off the cap floor???

I'd rather see that 1st rounder or Hammill come to Montreal instead of going to the Islanders or maybe even back to the Leafs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...dev/index.html

Quote:

To his credit, Chiarelli has built a solid core of young talent in Boston. The problem is that the majority of these players are his guys...and that makes it considerably tougher to make the difficult choices. In an ideal world, Chiarelli would move veterans like Tim Thomas, Michael Ryder and Andrew Ference for picks and prospects. For that to happen, though, he'll likely need to include high-end sweeteners of his own -- say, Zach Hamill or one of next year's first rounders -- in order to convince another club to take on those salaries.
Thoughts?

Andy 07-07-2010 12:00 PM

i like him, but he doesn't fit the teams style.

LyricalLyricist 07-07-2010 12:06 PM

Who said they'd give up TO first rounder and not their own?

llamateizer 07-07-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 26795402)
SI is reporting the Bruins are facing their own cap issues much the same as the Hawks are too. There is a suggestion that the Bruins would love to shed a larger salary like Ryder, Ference or Thomas, but doing so they would have to offer up a 1st rounder or Zach Hammill in such a trade.

If your the Habs would you swallow a one year of Ryder, a guy who has had success in Montreal and who could play in the top 6?

I'm not starting another bring back Ryder or whoever thread, but it would be nice to get that Toronto 1st rounder for only one year of $4 million, and who knows Ryder is in a contract year and may score 25-30 with Gomez and Gionta, or Pleks and Cammer???

We too would have to try and move salary, maybe a deal with the Islanders to get them off the cap floor???

I'd rather see that 1st rounder or Hammill come to Montreal instead of going to the Islanders or maybe even back to the Leafs.

Thoughts?

if they include a zach hamill or their 1st round with Ryder or Ference.
for a minor player (not Subban or a good prospect)
hell yes

Thomas... i'd say no even if its toronto pick
5 million for 3 more years :help:

Dwight 07-07-2010 12:19 PM

Isn't Wheeler headed to arbitration?

There's a guy I wouldn't mind getting - could play on the 3rd line with Boyd and Eller

habfan1968 07-07-2010 12:39 PM

Although it does not make sense for the Bruins to deal with us in this situation, the Islanders would make way more sense IMO. But why give anything back, take the overpriced player and the first rounder, say thanks, leave. Trade a roster guy on to make room for the boston player? I think maybe i would take Ryder for 1 season, and let AK go for picks. If we could get Wheeler, then other things could be done I guess.

llamateizer 07-07-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan1968 (Post 26796572)
Although it does not make sense for the Bruins to deal with us in this situation, the Islanders would make way more sense IMO. But why give anything back, take the overpriced player and the first rounder, say thanks, leave. Trade a roster guy on to make room for the boston player? I think maybe i would take Ryder for 1 season, and let AK go for picks. If we could get Wheeler, then other things could be done I guess.

between wheeler(UFA ala Dumont) and Ryder + 1st pick
i take Wheeler

Hugo Sham 07-07-2010 01:59 PM

we can only hope the Ruins are ****ed and in cap hell for years to come
:yo:

RoyBoyCoy 07-07-2010 02:02 PM

I don't want Zach Hamill... Overrated due to his draft position...

As for Wheeler, he's a bit of a defensive liability I could see us getting very impatient with him.

Maxpac 07-07-2010 02:29 PM

Wheeler could be very good on the 2nd line.

Kriss E 07-07-2010 02:30 PM

After signing Lappy/Price, we'll have very little cap available.

neofury* 07-07-2010 02:44 PM

If they would give us Ryder for one season on top of prospect/pick and we'd get to send them "insert prospect who will never amount to anything" in return, then I'd do it. It's just smart asset management.

neofury* 07-07-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 26799150)
Wheeler could be very good on the 2nd line.

For some reason I keep thinking Wheeler was traded lol.

KingKovy 07-07-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 26799558)
If they would give us Ryder for one season on top of prospect/pick and we'd get to send them "insert prospect who will never amount to anything" in return, then I'd do it. It's just smart asset management.

of course.. but they would never do that

RoyBoyCoy 07-07-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 26799571)
For some reason I keep thinking Wheeler was traded lol.

I know exactly what you mean. I keep thinking he was the return in the Seidenberg trade :laugh: What was it again? Bitz and a 2nd or something?

SayNoMore* 07-07-2010 08:14 PM

F$%^ the Bruins!

RE-HABS 07-07-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 26799558)

We send them...rights to David Fischer and J.T. Wyman for Ryder and a 1st.

We get top 6 help, a 1st rounder. They get a guy for AHL in Wyman and prospect/AHLer in Fischer, if they don't sign him they get Habs 2nd rounder.

To me that is a sweet deal for Bruins too, because they get a good pick in return if they let Fischer go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKovy (Post 26806333)
of course.. but they would never do that

They did do a bigger trade with the Leafs.

CGG 07-07-2010 08:53 PM

Absolute worst case for the Bruins is they walk away from Wheeler's arbitration award. I don't see them giving away a 1st just to get out of cap hell. That kind of deal has only happened once in the history of time. Bruins seem willing to move decent players for prospects / picks (Kessel trade) so I think they're stuck with Ryder and will move a somewhat valuable but expensive contract.

Why the heck are they paying Lucic $4 million a year?

RE-HABS 07-07-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGG (Post 26807887)
Absolute worst case for the Bruins is they walk away from Wheeler's arbitration award. I don't see them giving away a 1st just to get out of cap hell. That kind of deal has only happened once in the history of time. Bruins seem willing to move decent players for prospects / picks (Kessel trade) so I think they're stuck with Ryder and will move a somewhat valuable but expensive contract.

Why the heck are they paying Lucic $4 million a year?

A good year got that contract, no one say all the injuries. He was over paid though as he doesn't look to be a 25-30 goal power forward.

Pascal 07-07-2010 09:17 PM

i know the salary cap brings a lot of good things to the league, but personally I am tired of hearing about salaries constantly. it's not even about hockey anymore.

alexstream 07-07-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 26795402)

Thoughts?

Thomas won the Vezina, Huet won the choke award at least twice (TO last game of the season, Carolina, game 6)
Ryder is not as good as Campbell, but not as overpaid either.

Fish on The Sand 07-07-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 26808326)
i know the salary cap brings a lot of good things to the league, but personally I am tired of hearing about salaries constantly. it's not even about hockey anymore.

its better than seeing guys like Doug Weight getting traded for Marty reasoner. The game hasn't been about anything other than contracts since 1994.

Pascal 07-08-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 26810914)
its better than seeing guys like Doug Weight getting traded for Marty reasoner. The game hasn't been about anything other than contracts since 1994.

For small market teams it's always going to be about contracts. The problem now is that you have to build up towards a championship and then if you win you have to blow it all up the same year or soon after and start again. Some other teams will commit to young players for 5+ yrs and end up never coming close to winning and be stuck with those players.

I'd like to see an NBA-like "exception" that helps teams retain their players along with some cap relief on their new contracts. That way teams will be able to keep their good players longer.

Turboflex* 07-08-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 26813892)

I'd like to see an NBA-like "exception" that helps teams retain their players along with some cap relief on their new contracts. That way teams will be able to keep their good players longer.

Yeah the NBA system is lovely with the same 4 teams competing for the championship every season.

Serpico4ever 07-09-2010 01:00 AM

Ryder can be buried in Providence, Minnesota's inquired about Ference, and Thomas... then there's tim thomas..:cry: