HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Kings - Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=797230)

Trollmark* 07-08-2010 09:10 AM

Kings - Oilers

Ok, will you guys take Gretzky for 15 million bucks, Carson... Whoops, wrong era.

Umm, we discussed this on the Oiler board, but would you guys trade Smytty back to us for Souray and spare parts?

We it would be a smaller cap hit for you guys and we would need the capitaincy and leadership that Ryan provides? Whatta ya say!

BigBrown 07-08-2010 09:20 AM

Ryan Smyth is the only legitimate LW on the Kings now that Frolov is gone. If Souray was wanted he could have been had off waivers.

I guess the situation could change if the Kings sign Kovalchuk but I still don't see there being much interest in Souray.

KingsCourt 07-08-2010 09:27 AM

could have had souray for free, why would we give a top six forward considering kings have nothing in free agency...pass

zeus3007* 07-08-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsCourt (Post 26815251)
could have had souray for free, why would we give a top six forward considering kings have nothing in free agency...pass

At this point, it makes sense for you to pass. The discussion/rumor was based on the Kings signing Kovalchuk, and needing a bit extra cap room. Right now, it doesn't make sense, but if the Kings end up signing Kovalchuk, then you have a 6.5 million dollar LW, and do you not need to extend Doughty/Johnson/Simmonds next year? The extra million may come in handy then.

And you guys likely passed on Souray for free so you had cap space left over. Souray will be dealt, but no teams wanted him without giving some salary back.

Herby 07-08-2010 09:53 AM

I think a Smyth to EDM deal could be discussed if the Kings sign Kovalchuk. But like others have said, the Kings are wafer thin on the wing and nothing will happen until the Kovalchuk situation is resolved.

And as for Souray, just because he cleared waivers doesn't mean he sucks, he is just very overpaid for the role he would have on any team that claimed him, the same can be said of Smyth, don't be so sure that if Smyth were put on waivers that he wouldn't clear also. Not a lot o teams can afford to take on salaries like Smyth's and Souray's, even for free, especially with the salaries young players are commanding these days. We are seeing that right now with the Kings who could easily be looking at shelling out $14 mill next summer to Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds.

Welcome to the cap world, its like the NFL where a guys cap hit is as much or even bigger factor than his on ice/field performance.

denkiteki 07-08-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus3007 (Post 26815664)
At this point, it makes sense for you to pass. The discussion/rumor was based on the Kings signing Kovalchuk, and needing a bit extra cap room. Right now, it doesn't make sense, but if the Kings end up signing Kovalchuk, then you have a 6.5 million dollar LW, and do you not need to extend Doughty/Johnson/Simmonds next year? The extra million may come in handy then.

And you guys likely passed on Souray for free so you had cap space left over. Souray will be dealt, but no teams wanted him without giving some salary back.

They also have Williams and Handzus coming off the book, which frees up 7.5 mil. Should be enough to paid most of doughty + johnson's raises. Doesn't look like they will have cap issues next year and at this point, its a mystery rather or not they even spend close to the cap (given the lack of FAs in the market right now).

Rafters 07-08-2010 11:58 AM

few teams will add a 5.4 mill cap hit without moving some salary, there have been many deals after a player goes through waivers unclaimed....... for all we know LA wanted souray off waivers but would not claim him since the 5.4 cap hit would make it much more difficult to acquire KOVI.....

Sniper7 07-08-2010 01:25 PM

Why trade for Souray when you can pick him up for half the price & cap hit when he goes on re-entry waivers. That's the only way he gets moved.

oXo Cube 07-08-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper7 (Post 26819703)
Why trade for Souray when you can pick him up for half the price & cap hit when he goes on re-entry waivers. That's the only way he gets moved.

:facepalm:

Souray will not be placed on re-entry, this has been mentioned many times before.

Kings would obviously have 0 interest until(IF) they land Kovalchuk.

Virtanev 07-08-2010 02:47 PM

Souray for Handzus+Jones?

AKAY47 07-08-2010 02:49 PM

Hahahahahahaha... I want Hemsky for Smyth

AKAY47 07-08-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Canuck (Post 26821483)
Souray for Handzus+Jones?

Martin Jones? Or Randy Jones? One's not going anywhere since he's going to be Jon Bernier's back up for the future and the other isn't even under contract anymore..

Handzus isn't going anywhere either, he has a no trade claude (won't wanna go to Edmonton) and he's one of the best leaders on the team, he's going to teach Brayden Schenn how to become a great 3rd line center.

Ales Hemsky for Ryan Smyth and Colten Teubert

WJG 07-08-2010 02:51 PM

Doesn't Smyth make even more than Souray?

Pass.

Gobo 07-08-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Running Riot (Post 26821582)
Doesn't Smyth make even more than Souray?

Pass.

:headache:

Cap space isn't an issue on the Oilers.

I would take this deal by the way. Gives us some veteran leadership and a 20+ goal-scorer.

Trollmark* 07-08-2010 03:25 PM

Ya, the whole point would be us absorbing some salary (which we have a lot of leg room with) to get back our heart and soul. Souray would probably love it in LA, close to his wife I figure. But its true, unless Ilya is a king, this will never happen.

Akonite 07-08-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffey Maker (Post 26822182)
Ya, the whole point would be us absorbing some salary (which we have a lot of leg room with) to get back our heart and soul. Souray would probably love it in LA, close to his wife I figure. But its true, unless Ilya is a king, this will never happen.

Souray isnt married, his kids live around LA though IIRC.

I hear the Kings have (once again) dropped out of the Kovy race so no go for this deal.

Bad Will Hunting 07-08-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akonite (Post 26822372)

I hear the Kings have (once again) dropped out of the Kovy race so no go for this deal.

yeah, until Grossman calls them tomorrow AM

The Bored Man 07-08-2010 04:20 PM

So, assuming that Kovalchuk signs with the Kings (and now I'm feverishly praying that he does), what would the Kings want for Smyth?

zeus3007* 07-08-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akonite (Post 26822372)

Its all a ploy I think. The Kings know Kovalchuk wants to go there over the Islanders or Devils, so they are playing hardball.

LAX attack* 07-08-2010 04:36 PM

Smyth has an NMC and probably would never want to go to Edmonton again

Akonite 07-08-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAX attack (Post 26823436)

Cause he's one of those heartless plugs that holds a grudge?

I'd understand if Smyth wanted to remain with a competitive team, but there's no way he'd veto a trade to an Edmonton team that wants him out of spite.

LAX attack* 07-08-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akonite (Post 26823531)
Cause he's one of those heartless plugs that holds a grudge?

I'd understand if Smyth wanted to remain with a competitive team, but there's no way he'd veto a trade to an Edmonton team that wants him out of spite.

He'd veto a trade back to Edmonton because they will likely be competing for the 1st overall pick.

Not because of Edmonton itself.

Youngblood93 07-08-2010 04:44 PM

Would you do Penner and Souray for Smyth and Stoll?

zeus3007* 07-08-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAX attack (Post 26823436)

His career has went down steadily (with a bit of an increase going to the Kings I do admit) since he left Edmonton. His best years were there, his family lives close to Edmonton, and he would be an important piece of the rebuild. I don`t see him saying no to his boyhood favorite team. To have the chance to come back and finish your career at home, would be a great thing for Smyth.

zeus3007* 07-08-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngblood93 (Post 26823589)
Would you do Penner and Souray for Smyth and Stoll?

Probably not, Souray and Smyth are at fairly even trade value (Smyth makes 2-3 million more than he should now and most teams won`t want to trade for him). Penner is a top line lw on most teams, Stoll is a number one centre on no teams. The most I could see Edmonton offering is Souray and Cogliano for Smyth and a pick (3rd or 4th round) or a mid level prospect that would be playing in the AHL next year. But then the Kings are taking on salary, and I doubt they would want to do that.