HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Really, check your stick flex (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=797546)

jcorfive 07-08-2010 10:53 PM

Really, check your stick flex
 
I just bought my first "modern" stick. An Easton S3 with the Zetterberg curve. Int. flex rated 65. I was previously using an Easton Ultra-Lite with an 85 flex. I have an extension in the Ultra-Lite about 2 inches. Both sticks are the same length.

My snap shot was not so good. Slappers were hit and miss. Wrist shot was great. (with the 85 flex)

I don't have the best technique in the world but stepping down to an int. 65 flex has tremendously improved my snap shot. Incredible amounts. I almost can't believe how much more effortless it seems to shoot now with great results. I haven't tried a slapper yet. I'm both worried about breaking my newfound awesomeness and I almost never have to take one in a game situation where I play anyway.

I don't believe my technique is that great, but using a lower flex stick made quite the improvement. This is without changing a thing in my shot. Not to mention the mental confidence boost that is given; which seems to help everything else.

Don't be worried about some guys giving you grief because you use a weaker flex than them. Try it out. I bet it'll help.

hoonking 07-09-2010 12:51 AM

Most people use sticks that are too stiff for themselves (myself included). I could go for a 65 but I'm using a 75. I don't have the money to go buy another $100 stick so I'm using the flex differential as motivation to go get bigger :p

JustinW 07-09-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcorfive (Post 26830654)
I just bought my first "modern" stick. An Easton S3 with the Zetterberg curve. Int. flex rated 65. I was previously using an Easton Ultra-Lite with an 85 flex. I have an extension in the Ultra-Lite about 2 inches. Both sticks are the same length.

My snap shot was not so good. Slappers were hit and miss. Wrist shot was great. (with the 85 flex)

I don't have the best technique in the world but stepping down to an int. 65 flex has tremendously improved my snap shot. Incredible amounts. I almost can't believe how much more effortless it seems to shoot now with great results. I haven't tried a slapper yet. I'm both worried about breaking my newfound awesomeness and I almost never have to take one in a game situation where I play anyway.

I don't believe my technique is that great, but using a lower flex stick made quite the improvement. This is without changing a thing in my shot. Not to mention the mental confidence boost that is given; which seems to help everything else.

Don't be worried about some guys giving you grief because you use a weaker flex than them. Try it out. I bet it'll help.

Ovy uses a 79 flex no one should be embrassed to use what works for them.

budster 07-09-2010 01:36 AM

Maybe it's just me but I swear sticks lose their stiffness over time. That's why I've never wanted to go lower than an 85.

Jarick 07-09-2010 08:51 AM

Also need to take into account the stick type...for me 75 flex low kick sticks feel similar to 85 flex mid kick sticks.

HowToHockey 07-09-2010 10:49 AM

Have you noticed that it is easier to raise the puck with you slapshot with a higher flex stick?

Jarick 07-09-2010 11:02 AM

Other way around for me.

Synergy27 07-09-2010 11:07 AM

I've used a 110 flex stick ever since I started using composites about 10 years ago. My game is almost entirely snapshot/wrister, and for me the stiff flex makes those shots much harder. I'm at the point where even an 85 flex feels like a piece of spaghetti in my hands, and I'm not all that big of a guy (6'-0", 185lbs.). This is all about preference.

noobman 07-09-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavboyz (Post 26836072)
Have you noticed that it is easier to raise the puck with you slapshot with a higher flex stick?

Yes. When I went from a 100 to an 85 I found that I had a harder time controlling my slapshots. Well, moreso than usual at least. I have a decent slapper but virtually zero accuracy if I try to raise the puck more than a few inches off the ice.

Devil Dancer 07-09-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcorfive (Post 26830654)
Don't be worried about some guys giving you grief because you use a weaker flex than them. Try it out. I bet it'll help.

No one has ever even noticed what flex I use. And I had similar results when I switched down to a 67 int. I'll never go back.

meanolthing 07-09-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 26832613)
Maybe it's just me but I swear sticks lose their stiffness over time. That's why I've never wanted to go lower than an 85.

It's not you, constant flexing (through shooting or elsewhere) will eventually wear down the stiffness, but the stick usually snaps before it becomes really obvious.

Pierre Gotye 07-09-2010 06:50 PM

I have a 65 Int Flex. I think a 75 would be just about right.

IAMCANADIAN 07-11-2010 11:22 AM

I always thought that the "flex" was determined more by your body weight/height?

What I mean is that I thought the heavier you were (ie 220lbs compared to 160lbs) would mean you "should" use a higher flex?

My son is 12 yrs old (5' 10",130lbs approx) and went from an 75 flex intermediate stick to a 85 flex senior stick. He had ALOT more success with the higher flex senior stick.

Both sticks were gifts. I don't know much about sticks but he broke the 85 flex in his last game and now I'm "trying" to figure out what to buy this time. :help:

WhipNash27 07-11-2010 11:44 AM

I recently switched to a 95 from an 85, and I think my shot's harder.

Jumbo* 07-11-2010 02:12 PM

Switched from a 100 Flex to an 85, don't really notice a difference. I think stick handling was a bit easier with a 100 Flex.

Frankie Spankie 07-11-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 26832613)
Maybe it's just me but I swear sticks lose their stiffness over time. That's why I've never wanted to go lower than an 85.

:laugh:That's funny because I swear it's just me where the stick seems to flex way more than it should for the first couple of games, and then gets stiffer.

Stick flex is something that you should take pretty seriously though, and you should check the flex on all sticks before buying them. I got a stick that was too stiff once because I wasn't paying attention. It made my shots harder but they were so inaccurate it was pointless to use and I hated it.

budster 07-11-2010 07:32 PM

Yep it is very important, I have experimented quite a bit and I even wrote down everything I know about hockey stick flex in hopes it would help out some other lost soul.

I think the cheap (mostly fiberglass) sticks seem to lose their flex faster than the graphite/kevlar composites. I have also discovered 85 flex isn't exactly the same across the board. Maybe there's slight margin of error when rating sticks.

GuitarAwesome 07-11-2010 09:45 PM

I have 85 flex sticks and 110 flex sticks. I use both regularly, depending on the game situation. Both are extremely usefl, as long as you have the correct situation for em.

KaraLupin 07-11-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome (Post 26872715)
I have 85 flex sticks and 110 flex sticks. I use both regularly, depending on the game situation. Both are extremely usefl, as long as you have the correct situation for em.

Examples?

hoonking 07-11-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrieresSalary (Post 26872822)
Examples?

Obviously when he is taking a slapshot he whips out the 110, but then skates to the bench for his 85 when he is ready to take a wrister.

GuitarAwesome 07-11-2010 10:32 PM

I use the 85 flex when I play wing/center (most of the time)
I use the 110 when I take a shift on D, or play the point on the powerplay.

O23L 07-11-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinW (Post 26832333)
Ovy uses a 79 flex no one should be embrassed to use what works for them.

Ive never been fun of because I use a 75. I dont think people really look at what stick you use...

ponder 07-12-2010 02:24 AM

Have never used anything softer than an 85, but for my next stick I'm considering dropping down to a 77 to get that whipier feel. One question though, for people who use soft sticks regularly, do you find they break more easily? I'm 6', 185 lbs, can I expect decent durability out of a 77 flex stick?

IAMCANADIAN 07-14-2010 02:27 PM

Well I ended up buying a Bauer Vapour X40 P88 (87 Flex) for my son. I've heard alot of good things about them...and while it's NOT a top of the line stick.....I think it could be considered a mid-level range stick.

Hopefully things work out. Thanks for everyones insight into the world of sticks...I'm coming from the "wood" age!

blueberrydanish 07-14-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 26875329)
Have never used anything softer than an 85, but for my next stick I'm considering dropping down to a 77 to get that whipier feel. One question though, for people who use soft sticks regularly, do you find they break more easily? I'm 6', 185 lbs, can I expect decent durability out of a 77 flex stick?

Im 5'11" 170ish+ and I have been using a one95 shaft since December with no issues and still loving the feel/flex. This is the longest lasting shaft Ive used since all my previous sticks were one-pieces and the blades would go, so I am interested in seeing how long this shaft will go and so far its doing great. Also I give my stick alot of slapshot work too and it takes my weight just fine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.