HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: to move or keep schenn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=797942)

93gilmour93 07-10-2010 04:19 AM

to move or keep schenn

got this from mapleleafshotstove.com. interesting

Your Say: Could Schenn be the sticking point in trade talk?
Alec Brownscombe
July 4, 2010
Opinion762 commentsAs much of the league takes a post-draft/free agent frenzy breather for the Canada Day and July 4th long weekend, I figure Iíll spark some discussion with a bit of educated speculation. In talking to a source over the past week itís been suggested to me that Brian Burke has a deal or two on the table for scoring help involving a Leaf asset heís struggling with the idea of parting with. Itís said at this time Burke is hoping desperation on the part of the involved GMs reduces the price on a few top six trade options as the off-season continues.
In a separate report from a source regarding Bobby Ryanís availability in Anaheim after recent news that negotiations between the club and the restricted free agent had stalled at 5 years, $25 million, it was intimated that Bob Murray will be looking for Luke Schenn-plus out of Brian Burke in any potential deal. Prefacing this again under ďeducatedĒ speculation, one has to wonder if the desperation Burkeís expecting is for the price on Ryan to fall as Murray continues to struggle to get the Burke-drafted 23-year-old American under contract.

The quote Iím referencing from my source: ďIt is very conceivable that Burke lands two top 6 forwards in the next several weeks or sooner but he will need to part with a very important part(s) of the roster and heís not sure about that. He is hoping that in time the desperation of other teams will allow him to offer up less or they offer up more.Ē

Moobles 07-10-2010 05:12 AM

Keep Schenn. God. I'm tanked, and I know to keep the kid. Give him time- unless you get a sick center in an offer, honestly, it'd be stupid to trade him.

Selke 07-10-2010 05:15 AM

Isn't it common knowledge as Leaf fans to laugh off any Luke Schenn trade offers in cynical hysteric laughter?

93gilmour93 07-10-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer (Post 26851066)
Isn't it common knowledge as Leaf fans to laugh off any Luke Schenn trade offers in cynical hysteric laughter?

not if we are talking bobby ryan

Paris in Flames 07-10-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 (Post 26851093)
not if we are talking bobby ryan

Which we probably shouldn't be doing to begin with.

The mere thought of trading Schenn fills me with anger. Probably be a decent sized mistake.

CrossCheck 07-10-2010 05:39 AM

The problem is that you overrate him so bad that all trade proposal will be refused by your group... A stay at home d-man has a value that is not one of a first line talent.

Nobody will give you an under 25 yo first line winger for him, forget it!

93gilmour93 07-10-2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paris in Flames (Post 26851108)
Which we probably shouldn't be doing to begin with.

The mere thought of trading Schenn fills me with anger. Probably be a decent sized mistake.

i agree, i want nothing to do with trading schenn unless its a ryan coming back

93gilmour93 07-10-2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrossCheck (Post 26851125)
The problem is that you overrate him so bad that all trade proposal will be refused by your group... A stay at home d-man has a value that is not one of a first line talent.

the article said schenn plus so i don't know where your coming from

Schennanigans 07-10-2010 06:28 AM

No, not for anything. NOTHING!

Hulk Hogan* 07-10-2010 06:42 AM

Leafs would be crazy to deal Schenn

The Podium 07-10-2010 06:47 AM

nooooo:(

blasted_Sabre 07-10-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrossCheck (Post 26851125)

But hes not a pure stay at home defenseman. He has offensive potential, and given PP time (which he currently gets next to noneof) I dont think 10g 25a is unreasonable.

If Schenn was part of a trade for Bobby Ryan, and assuming their was nothing else of significants moved with him (Kaberle excluded, he could go to) I'd be OK with it. I'd be pissed for a bit, but I'd get over it.

What would really piss me off is that I just bought a Schenn Jersey last season, cause I figured he was a safe bet to be around for a bit.

AlMo 07-10-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 (Post 26851132)
[/FONT]

the article said schenn plus so i don't know where your coming from

He knows exactly where he's coming from. No one will give the Leafs a top line player for Schenn. Is he wrong? You said it yourself, that article stated that it would take Schenn "plus" to get a first liner.

AlMo 07-10-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre (Post 26851306)
But hes not a pure stay at home defenseman. He has offensive potential, and given PP time (which he currently gets next to noneof) I dont think 10g 25a is unreasonable.

If Schenn was part of a trade for Bobby Ryan, and assuming their was nothing else of significants moved with him (Kaberle excluded, he could go to) I'd be OK with it. I'd be pissed for a bit, but I'd get over it.

What would really piss me off is that I just bought a Schenn Jersey last season, cause I figured he was a safe bet to be around for a bit.

Schenn is not in Ryan's class, not even close. You think Schenn and a 3rd rd pick would get you Ryan because insignificant means something in that range.

I'm sorry you wasted your money on a Schenn jersey but if the Leafs could Ryan for Schenn, he would be on the next flight out but I wouldn't worry, Schenn is not getting dealt.

CptCannon 07-10-2010 06:59 AM

No no. Leafs' announcers would have to completely remake their broadcasts.

Now it's plain easy and simple: "schenn schenn schenn oh my god schenn schenn and schenn.. oh, a goal scored by <insert TML's opponent>"

Zetterberg4Captain 07-10-2010 07:08 AM

i understand schenn is admired by leafs fans but the thought of having one of the leagues premier power forwards who's upside is easily 90plus pts and was drafted 2nd only to sidney freakin crosby would tickle me pink.

90pt power forward upside or defensive dman with 35pt upside, hmmmmmm........

TOCap1 07-10-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schennanigans (Post 26851238)
No, not for anything. NOTHING!

You don't want Burke to trade Schenn because then you would have to change your name:nod:
or at least become a ducks fan with your new pic being him put on his jersey in the press conference that follows the deal:laugh:

but seriously if Burke can trade schenn for Ryan with adding on the leafs part I do it. ( unless that + is Kadri)

CrossCheck 07-10-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre (Post 26851306)

He never reached that much point in juniors and you think he might reach it on a poor TML squad and at 21 yo???

shissshhh!

Try to wake me up when he gets his 10th of the season... I might be dead by then!

CellarDweller0 07-10-2010 07:57 AM

I like Schenn a lot and think he will be an amazing player ... I wouldn't think twice about trading him for BR ... in fact, I would throw Finger in to sweeten the deal :sarcasm:

Sad Panda 07-10-2010 08:02 AM

Schenn won't bring us back a young top line forward. He'll be packaged with something else of high value, and that's just not worth it. Of course this is the Toronto Maple Leafs and this organization has a habit of making stupid moves involving young players and draft picks. So seeing him traded away in a package won't surprise me. I've grown use to it over many years.

93gilmour93 07-10-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMo (Post 26851314)
He knows exactly where he's coming from. No one will give the Leafs a top line player for Schenn. Is he wrong? You said it yourself, that article stated that it would take Schenn "plus" to get a first liner.

exactly. its not a under 25 forward for schenn. its for schenn plus. if a g.m. wouldn't give it for schenn straight up, he would give it for schenn plus something

trentmccleary 07-10-2010 08:24 AM

Meh, the whole point of having these young players is to get good value out of them. They're supposed to make peanuts for a few years and eventually be worth 2-3 times they're salary. Schenn is currently a bottom pairing D-man, who has a contract that pays him upwards of $3M a season and he plays on an expensive D-core with vets similar to what he might become. So basically; he's not good (yet), he's not cheap and he doesn't fill a need.

If Toronto is offered a comparable player who's likely
- to be with the team for the next 5 years
- be worth their salary
- fills a need
.... they should trade Schenn without regret.

Tony Clifton Leaf 07-10-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentmccleary (Post 26851608)
Meh, the whole point of having these young players is to get good value out of them. They're supposed to make peanuts for a few years and eventually be worth 2-3 times they're salary. Schenn is currently a bottom pairing D-man, who has a contract that pays him upwards of $3M a season and he plays on an expensive D-core with vets similar to what he might become. So basically; he's not good (yet), he's not cheap and he doesn't fill a need.

If Toronto is offered a comparable player who's likely
- to be with the team for the next 5 years
- be worth their salary
- fills a need
.... they should trade Schenn without regret.

His contract COULD pay him upwards of 3m a year, if he has an unfathomably good year... like, a norris calibre year. He has a 900k ELC, with bonuses added on IF he plays well. He'll probably make around 1.5m - 1.75m next year.

leafsfan2903 07-10-2010 09:02 AM

I would flip Schenn+ for Ryan. Ryan is a big power forward who can net 90 points. As much as I think Schenn can evolve into one of the best stay at home D, he's not really a franchise player, unlike Ryan.

trentmccleary 07-10-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf (Post 26851681)
His contract COULD pay him upwards of 3m a year, if he has an unfathomably good year... like, a norris calibre year. He has a 900k ELC, with bonuses added on IF he plays well. He'll probably make around 1.5m - 1.75m next year.

Do you know how his bonus structure is set up or are you guessing?

Because the bonuses could be set to "Norris calibre" thresholds or they could be set to things like... if he ties his own skates more than 20 times during the season, if he drinks a beverage during a game more than 8 times, if he shows up at the right arena more often than not.