HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Brock Trotter & Mathieu Carle - Must clear waivers to be sent down...What happens? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=798280)

Habsfan18 07-11-2010 03:09 PM

Brock Trotter & Mathieu Carle - Must clear waivers to be sent down...What happens?

I know for sure that Trotter and Carle have to clear waivers this season. There may be more, but these 2 I'm sure of.

What happens with these guys? Trotter could possibly make the team in a bottom 6 role, and I can honestly see a team claiming him if they try to send him down. Carle on the other hand, is unlikely to make the team out of camp. There is just simply no room for him in our top 6/7 D. Does a team claim him?

How do you see this playing out?

Blind Gardien 07-11-2010 03:14 PM

Depends on what they do in camp. Guys like them clear waivers out of camp all the time, however. <cue the annual bet with Whitesnake! :) >

I don't see either one as being particularly useful in depth roles, so I won't be surprised if they get sent down. Depending on who is healthy at the end of the camp. Carle might have an inside track just being higher up the depth chart on D. A waiver-exempt guy like Weber would have to do a lot to surpass him, if we are in the position to break camp with 1 replacement on D.

As for Trotter, it seems to me like there are lots of guys in the org. who are higher on the depth chart and would provide more in more roles than he does. So I guess it would rate as a surprise to me if he *wasn't* waived.

But there's camp to come. See what they and others do first. It's not really something to worry about. They are dime-a-dozen prospects, until they prove otherwise. That's good and bad -- good in that if they aren't good enough to make the team, there is probably no danger of them being lost on waivers. But bad... well, we wish they were better. :)

Monctonscout 07-11-2010 03:15 PM

If Markov is out a few weeks, Carle is a pretty reasonable option to take the extra spot on defense, unles Weber has a monster camp and plays his way onto the team.

I can see Trotter sticking as a 12th or 13th forward.

CareyClutch 07-11-2010 03:21 PM

They clear waivers without problem.

goalchenyuk 07-11-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans (Post 26867445)
They clear waivers without problem.

or Tampa Bay claim a player , recommended by Boucher

Mtl6 07-11-2010 03:37 PM

Trotter maybe, althought he had a good AHL season.

Carle: No way, 2nd round pick who has been unlucky with injuries but still has good potentiel.

Whitesnake 07-11-2010 03:47 PM

I see both guys sticking around for future analysis. There is room for a 14th forward. And with Markov out, there is room for one more D.

I might not be surprised if they send Trotter down risking losing him. But I don't see it happening for Carle. Either he sticks around, either he's traded.

But I won't be anything....I was way too high on Ferland who in my mind was a perfect candidate for a 3rd line in the NHL and yet he ended up a perfect candidate for a 1st line....in Austria.

So we'll see what other teams have in mind for both players. But at this time, I'm pretty sure both Trotter and Carle have higher upsides than Ferland....

It all depends on the needs and how camps are going.

LyricalLyricist 07-11-2010 03:49 PM

They both make the team. Carle plays 7th D which is not unreasonable considering next year, hamrlik and Gill's contracts run out so we'll need our young guys to have experience. Trotter is more of the wild card, but I can see him sticking for fear of losing him.

YMCMBeaulieu 07-11-2010 03:54 PM

Last year we saw the team keep around all three of D'Agostini, Chipchura and Stewart rather than risking losing them to waivers so I won't be surprised to see both stick around as cheap extras. I definitely wouldn't want to see them risk losing Carle for nothing as I thought he played well with us in the three games he was up last year and his injuries have held back his development.

subbanged 07-11-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernell Karl (Post 26867950)
Last year we saw the team keep around all three of D'Agostini, Chipchura and Stewart rather than risking losing them to waivers so I won't be surprised to see both stick around as cheap extras. I definitely wouldn't want to see them risk losing Carle for nothing as I thought he played well with us in the three games he was up last year and his injuries have held back his development.

Massively agree

Horatio Caine 07-11-2010 04:17 PM

I've only seen Carle play 11-12 games in total ; can someone tell me if O'byrne is really better than Carle?

LyricalLyricist 07-11-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horatio Caine (Post 26868338)
I've only seen Carle play 11-12 games in total ; can someone tell me if O'byrne is really better than Carle?

Yes. Even if carle were better, O'byrne wins based on what he brings to the table.

#57 07-11-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfan18 (Post 26867257)
I know for sure that Trotter and Carle have to clear waivers this season. There may be more, but these 2 I'm sure of.

What happens with these guys? Trotter could possibly make the team in a bottom 6 role, and I can honestly see a team claiming him if they try to send him down. Carle on the other hand, is unlikely to make the team out of camp. There is just simply no room for him in our top 6/7 D. Does a team claim him?

How do you see this playing out?

What the hell? Markov will start the year on IR, O'Byrne is still a wildcard and Gill, even though he has proven to be a force in the playoffs, can't be relied upon for the full 82-game schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carle start the year in a top-4 role. Your statement makes no sense at all... we have absolutely no one aside from Carle and Weber ready to take Markov's spot as one of the seven Ds.

Weber can be sent down, Carle cannot. The choice is easy, especially since Carle looked a whole lot better in the NHL this year than Weber.

Taupy 07-11-2010 05:13 PM

Please keep Trotter up, Boucher had a lot of good word about him at the end of the season and he would recommend him to Yzerman. I don't want to lose him for anything. I really think he will be a good NHLer down the line.

Analyzer 07-11-2010 05:42 PM

TRotter sucks and Carle is behind Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Gorges, Gill, O'bryne, Subban and Weber, so he's not getting called up, unless there's a ton of injuries, or he plays exceptional.

No need to call Trotter up at all, and Carle should stay in the A all year long, give him a chance next year to crack the line up, if he doesn,t, trade him.

LyricalLyricist 07-11-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 26869683)
TRotter sucks and Carle is behind Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Gorges, Gill, O'bryne, Subban and Weber, so he's not getting called up, unless there's a ton of injuries, or he plays exceptional.

No need to call Trotter up at all, and Carle should stay in the A all year long, give him a chance next year to crack the line up, if he doesn,t, trade him.

No ones argueing that, but if he has to pass through waivers, they might not go to the AHL and get claimed. it's not a matter of call up its a matter of "we can't send them down without passing through waivers".

Captain Saku 07-11-2010 06:11 PM

Can someone explain why would Trotter have to clear waivers to be sent down?

Captain Saku 07-11-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Have you listened to Guy Boucher at the end of last season? Trotter was the player that received the most praise by him.

Stjonnypopo 07-11-2010 06:39 PM

This is all assuming that they get called up at any point during the regular season right? If they don't get called up at all then they won't have anything to do with waivers.

Tuggy 07-11-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

How many games of Trotter's have you seen?

ruski17 07-11-2010 07:06 PM

How about trading Trotter to Tampa??? Myabe package him and a prospect defenceman for James Wright...

TankEller* 07-11-2010 07:45 PM

I love Trotter. Lots of Cammalleri in this kid. Knows where to be, when to go for the net, when to go for the puck on the forecheck... He's going to end up making it in. Didn't take the wasy way, he had to work hard, and that's why I believe in him.

Carle? Never was a fan, still am not a fan of him. Extremly fragile, he reminds me of a poor-man Brisebois. Which we don't need. He's awful at positioning himself in the d-zone, he's attracted to the puck like a magnet or a pee-wee player.

We also have plenty of PM type of d-men with guys like Weber, Subban, Bennett and Ellis.

Blind Gardien 07-11-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo (Post 26870568)
This is all assuming that they get called up at any point during the regular season right? If they don't get called up at all then they won't have anything to do with waivers.

All waiver-eligible players have to clear waivers to be assigned to the minors to start the season. But usually there are boatloads of guys on waivers as camp is wrapping up, so even if there might otherwise be some chance of a guy being claimed, they are more likely than ever to be lost in the shuffle at that time. Teams have their own guys cracking the lineup and their own guys to waive down, they are less likely than ever to take a chance on somebody else's minor league assignments.

Markowicz 07-11-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 26867382)
If Markov is out a few weeks, Carle is a pretty reasonable option to take the extra spot on defense, unles Weber has a monster camp and plays his way onto the team.

I can see Trotter sticking as a 12th or 13th forward.

Yeah, Carle and Weber will battle it out for the 7th dman role at the beginning of the year. As much as i prefer Weber's shot, Carle impressed me more last year, I thought he looked pretty steady out there.

Trotter is kind of useless in the bottom 6 because he's not scrappy enough and too small to boot. I find Desharnais more imposing somehow, just because he gets his nose dirtier. With Trotter we're just going to have to hope he clears waivers, but i dont think it will be that big an issue.

vokiel 07-11-2010 09:45 PM

Trotter: AHL until needed to cover for injured players and that would need to be a lot of injuries.
Carle: 6th or 7th Dman with the team all year long.

Nothing against Trotter, but Dmen just have more chances to make it next season and we have quite a few forwards ahead of him. Can't say the same about Carle.