HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Drying gloves (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=798291)

Thepandamancan 07-11-2010 04:42 PM

Drying gloves

What's the best way to dry gloves? I just got a new pair and it comes with loops so you can hang them but the gloves hang fingers down. Does it matter which way they're positioned or would it be best to have it cuff down for any moisture to drain out (much like skates)?

hoonking 07-11-2010 08:29 PM

Just let them sit palms up with a fan on or outside in the breeze.

Blueland89 07-15-2010 09:13 AM

I just lay mine palms up in the center of my room under the fan

frito 07-15-2010 10:01 AM

I toss mine on my drying tree along iwth all my other gear.

fcb51 07-15-2010 10:30 PM

I always dry mine with the gloves in the upright position (fingers up - cuffs down). It allows the fingers to dry out better. You can also use a fan on them in this position to help with the humidity in the glove.

Cattman 07-23-2010 10:05 PM

I made a "hockey man" drying rack that holds all of my gear. I used 1.5 inch PVC pipe. I can post a pic of it if you want.

FlowMaster 07-23-2010 10:09 PM

Am I the only one who can't stand dry gloves? I always have to wet mine if they are not already before games.

I just leave them in my bag.

getzforfighting* 07-24-2010 08:02 PM

i like my gloves wet, makes for dirtier dangles and harder shots

LatvianTwist 07-24-2010 08:32 PM

I just let mine sit out in the sun for a few hours, and they always work just fine for me, no matter how I put them out there.

cptjeff 07-24-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlowMaster (Post 27070344)
Am I the only one who can't stand dry gloves? I always have to wet mine if they are not already before games.

Yes you are, and that's quite the excellent way to breed all sorts of interesting bacteria.

Jarick 07-24-2010 10:41 PM

Sitting in the sun is awesome for killing the hockey smell.

You guys like wet gloves? Ugh. I like them dry but soft and supple :)

robmneilson 07-24-2010 11:41 PM

I would certainly NOT recommend drying your gloves with a hair dryer. During the winter I usually play on Sunday and Monday and had to use the dryer so I can have my gear dry by the AM to bring to work.

It dried the gloves fine, but made the palms really stiff (and probably more brittle as well).

Blueland89 07-29-2010 10:42 AM

I just bought the Winnwell G-lite gloves they are awesome and don't hold a smell.

Gino 14 07-29-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'm with cptjeff on not just leaving them in your bag. There's so much crap you can breed that way and all it takes is a break in the skin to transmit it. Let your gloves dry properly and then wet them before the game. It won't get rid of all the nasties but it will not be incubating more.

Hawker14 07-29-2010 12:01 PM

Unless my stuff gets soaked, I just usually leave them in my bag with it open and unzipped.

I've never really had a problem with my equipment smelling, but some of my buddies stuff smells so bad it makes you gag, so maybe it's just me.

Jarick 07-29-2010 12:50 PM

Everyone's different. A friend of mine has no smell on any gear at all, mine is going to reek no matter what I do.

Persuasion 08-16-2010 02:51 PM

I put a fan facing my pair after i washed them. Took about a day to completely dry.

What you guys suggest for the palms of the gloves post drying to soften em up a bit? Baby oil? Vaseline?

Jarick 08-16-2010 03:07 PM

Definitely not vaseline!

Cheapest is shaving cream with lanolin, that will keep it soft. I'm sure baseball glove oil would work too, or anything for saddles or most leather cleaners/moisturizers. But I can attest to the shaving cream with lanolin (Barbasol yellow can and Skintimate ladies cream).

trtaylor 08-16-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattman (Post 27070290)
I made a "hockey man" drying rack that holds all of my gear. I used 1.5 inch PVC pipe. I can post a pic of it if you want.

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing what you built. Been thinking of doing the same.

PuckHogs29 08-16-2010 03:31 PM

I hang my stuff on the little rack I have for my gear and put a fan on it over night, gloves go palms up and cuffs down. I don't like my gloves stiff and dried out so I usually squirt a little water from my bottle on my hands, wipe them together so they're damp and then put my gloves on. The moisture soaks into the gloves and they loosen up.

Kunitziwa 08-17-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

I never wet them before games, but I do leave them in my bag (only thing I leave in, minus some odds and ends. Tape, wax, laces, n what have you.) This way they are a perfect softness for me. If they are too wet my hand will slide on the stick. Too dry is annoying.= and uncomfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by getzforfighting (Post 27080957)
i like my gloves wet, makes for dirtier dangles and harder shots

+3 for wet-ish gloves.

Persuasion 08-17-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27408325)
Definitely not vaseline!

Cheapest is shaving cream with lanolin, that will keep it soft. I'm sure baseball glove oil would work too, or anything for saddles or most leather cleaners/moisturizers. But I can attest to the shaving cream with lanolin (Barbasol yellow can and Skintimate ladies cream).

I am using the Vapor XII. The palms are not completely leather. More like a cotton and leather mix. I will try the shaving cream. Thanks

Saved* 08-17-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Cptjeff, I'm with this guy here. I can't stand dry gloves and wet my gloves before each game.

Maybe that's why I have such soft hands haha

nystromshairstylist 08-17-2010 11:42 AM

I found that my gloves would not dry overnight so if i was playing on consecutive days, i would have to splurge on a second pair- which i did.

I bough the exact same pair so i can mix and match in case one of the 4 gloves gets destroyed, i can still make use of the remaining one.

As for the topic, buy this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=14361499

and hang everything on it by the window...

WhooFleuryScores 08-18-2010 01:08 AM

I just dry them out in the bathroom while Im out or upstairs.