HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Narrow heel skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=799006)

hipd 07-13-2010 09:09 PM

Narrow heel skates

Can anyone recommend a narrow heeled skate other than Grafs? They're not readily available in my area and was wondering if there's something comparable. I skate in a Bauer one75 right now and the length and width feel good, but there's heel slippage. Thanks!

Ference the Finger 07-13-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipd (Post 26906191)
Can anyone recommend a narrow heeled skate other than Grafs? They're not readily available in my area and was wondering if there's something comparable. I skate in a Bauer one75 right now and the length and width feel good, but there's heel slippage. Thanks!

Hey, me again with another suggestion. (and no, I'mn not stalking you!:laugh:) You might trying Cooke's Skate Shop in Wilmington, to see if Mike can build up the inside of your boot around the heel to give you a tighter fit. He's got a great reputation with fitting hard-to-fit feet, though I've heard it more from figure skaters. It's another option for you, rather than moving to a different skate, if you like the length and width of your Bauers.

cptjeff 07-13-2010 10:44 PM

Try an easton stealth.

Jarick 07-13-2010 10:53 PM

I have narrow heels and my LHS recommended either Graf 735/G35 or One95. The One75's are actually based on the One70 which have a slightly wider heel if I recall correctly, so you may actually want to check out the new One80's.

hipd 07-14-2010 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Looch, I just came back from Cooke's and while he couldn't do much with the heel, he did measure my foot and told me my skates were a size too small. Another shop had measured me before and they had the same result. For what it's worth, my skate is 2 sizes smaller than my dress shoe. I'm not doubting his expertise by any means, but the length feels fine as I grace the toe cap. I'm wondering if my narrow heel allows me to get deeper in the skate and fit smaller sizes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jarick 07-14-2010 11:26 AM

So you think they fit fine up front but they say they're too small?

I was always told get the smallest skates that I could, make sure they fit the heel well, and if they're too tight up front stretch the boot at that spot.

hipd 07-14-2010 12:49 PM

Yes there's no pain up front even though according to measurements they're too small. My heel feels sore after playing (no pain while I'm playing) that I'm sure is due to heel slippage. I never paid much attention to the heel fit before and I'm attributing my problems to that. I figure if the length is too short, I'd feel pain in my toes and that's not the case here. I'm just curious as to why I'm measured as a 6D and I can fit length-wise into a 5D.

Jarick 07-14-2010 12:55 PM

What shoe size are you?

Jarick 07-14-2010 12:59 PM

Oh and when my feet were measured, they said they were really narrow and I should fit into 7.5, but I ended up going up half a size with G35's and had to have the fronts widened quite a bit. That's why it's so important to try on the skates, pick the right ones, have them baked, and have them punched/stretched as needed.

bp spec 07-14-2010 01:10 PM

Graf or pumps

hipd 07-14-2010 04:19 PM

Sneaker size is a size 8, dress shoe is a size 7. I wear sock liners which are basically really thin socks when I skate. After going through this there is no chance I'll buy online without trying anything on first.

Jarick 07-14-2010 04:25 PM

Reeboks have wide heels, there's no way you'll get them to fit with all the pumping in the world.

5's would make sense if you're a size 7 dress shoe...I'm about a 9-9.5 and fit 7.5-8.

Also, if you're willing and have a good shop around, consider getting custom Bauers. I don't know if they do junior sizes, but I don't think the upcharge would be that much more since you'd probably get One100's or X:60's.

thedonger 07-14-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 26918258)
Reeboks have wide heels, there's no way you'll get them to fit with all the pumping in the world.

5's would make sense if you're a size 7 dress shoe...I'm about a 9-9.5 and fit 7.5-8.

Also, if you're willing and have a good shop around, consider getting custom Bauers. I don't know if they do junior sizes, but I don't think the upcharge would be that much more since you'd probably get One100's or X:60's.

custom bauers are gonna be the same price no matter the size. just because their, "jr" in size does not mean they'll start at the jr retail price. also, he'd be looking at x60's or totalones (not one100's) if he went custom.

Badger36 07-14-2010 07:39 PM

You could also try a pair of Bauer Flexlites. They are designed to be wider near the ball of the foot but narrow in the heel.

hipd 07-15-2010 09:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The flexlites were too wide for me.

Looks like I'm going on a road trip to test fit Grafs. I'll also try on the stealth (thinking S12) as previously posted. Jarick, any particular reason for choosing the G35 over the 735? If they don't work then I may consider the custom route.

Jarick 07-15-2010 10:10 AM

The G35 and 735 have a similar fit, but the G35 has a slightly lighter and stiffer boot and includes custom moldable footbeds and an upgraded holder. I also found the G35 to have a more comfortable liner and fit my foot better. But it's a good deal more expensive.