HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ed Snider on Daily News Live (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=79922)

Dr Love 05-24-2004 05:10 PM

Ed Snider on Daily News Live

A few interesting sound bites from Mr. Baldwin--er, Mr. Snider--about the Flyers and the state of the league.

-The Flyers have been losing money for the past few seasons, and even if they won the Cup they wouldn't have broken even.

-He said he doesn't know the details about the CBA negotiations, but then qualified that by saying that even if he did, he couldn't say anything, but that he didn't really know anyway, because the league is handling all of that on their own.

-Goodenow tries to fib team's incomes by using revenue like luxury box suites sales and trying to justify it as purely NHL income, ignoring A) the basketball teams and B) in the case of privately funded arenas like the WC, morgage payments.

-My favorite sound bite was Ed talking about the lack of minorities that watch hockey, and he said that the leading scorer is black, and butchered Iginla's name (Ig-lina is how he pronounced it) and then said "we've got Brashear."

blah 05-24-2004 05:21 PM

-Snider wants Malakhov, Zhamnov, and obviously Primeau back next season. Same old offseason stuff like getting some of the kids into the lineup.

-He's very high on Niity. He didn't say it but I kind of got the feeling Burke might not be back next season.

Brad* 05-24-2004 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
-Snider wants Malakhov, Zhamnov, and obviously Primeau back next season. Same old offseason stuff like getting some of the kids into the lineup.

-He's very high on Niity. He didn't say it but I kind of got the feeling Burke might not be back next season.

I'm not sure, but doesn't Burke pretty much control his own fate? With his option?

ObeySteve 05-24-2004 05:36 PM

I'm sorry, but having a potentially great goaltender get to be a back-up is more important than Esche having a mentor. I'm glad Clarke and Snider both seem to want to bring Nitty up as back-up.

Dr Love 05-24-2004 05:41 PM

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Snider was talking like Burke doesn't exist. However there is a dual team and player option, but perhaps Burke has told the team he isn't planning on coming back. I can't see the Flyers wanting to bring him back unless he would agree to get paid what a backup goalie should get paid. And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.

Brad* 05-24-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Ah yes, I forgot about that. Snider was talking like Burke doesn't exist. However there is a dual team and player option, but perhaps Burke has told the team he isn't planning on coming back. I can't see the Flyers wanting to bring him back unless he would agree to get paid what a backup goalie should get paid. And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.

We can only hope. Considering the amount of playing time he'd be getting, he'd be better suited to go elsewhere.

blah 05-24-2004 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I'm not sure, but doesn't Burke pretty much control his own fate? With his option?

Somewhat. They could always trade him if he didn't want to be paid like a backup.

During the interview Snider seemed as if he had no problem buying out players. He wants a Stanley Cup badly.

Brad* 05-24-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Somewhat. They could always trade him if he didn't want to be paid like a backup.

During the interview Snider seemed as if he had no problem buying out players. He wants a Stanley Cup badly.

Who's going to take him?

blah 05-24-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Who's going to take him?

I'm not Bob Clarke man. They found a taker for Cechmanek didn't they?

Brad* 05-24-2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

I'm not Bob Clarke man. They found a taker for Cechmanek didn't they?

I see your point, but Cechmanek was a lot better than Burke.

easton122 05-24-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

I see your point, but Cechmanek was a lot better than Burke.

We sure fooled the Kings didn't we :lol

Oh that's right we only got a 2nd :banghead:

Burke = Cechmanek (our defense wasn't nearly as good this year)

GBailey93 05-24-2004 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I'm sorry, but having a potentially great goaltender get to be a back-up is more important than Esche having a mentor. I'm glad Clarke and Snider both seem to want to bring Nitty up as back-up.

I disagree here. I think that having a clear cut 1st and a clear cut backup is more important. If you have 2 possible #1's, all that does is have both guys looking over their shoulder. The only reason I would want Frank on the Flyers would be to showcase him for a trade. Otherwise, keep him in the AHL where he can play a lot of games.

blah 05-24-2004 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBailey93
I disagree here. I think that having a clear cut 1st and a clear cut backup is more important. If you have 2 possible #1's, all that does is have both guys looking over their shoulder. The only reason I would want Frank on the Flyers would be to showcase him for a trade. Otherwise, keep him in the AHL where he can play a lot of games.

2 possible #1s? Niity is not taking the starting job away from Esche anytime soon.

easton122 05-24-2004 07:00 PM

Quote:

2 possible #1s? Niity is not taking the starting job away from Esche anytime soon.

He is talking about Burke. Even if Burke does come back he's not at risk at talking over the #1. He'd just mentor Esche.

Pontifex Maximus* 05-24-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122

That Cechmanek trade looks good now. It's not like Cechmanek even played well this year.

Burke is completely different from Cechmanek. Cechmanek cannot be a backup and is a poor starter. Burke is a perfect backup (at a lower price) and can step in if needed.

GKJ 05-24-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.

Which is coming from the Flyers.

And before we start ripping Cechmanek again, take it from someone who watches the Kings. Without Cechmanek, the Kings aren't even sniffing the playoffs, just as their injuries hampered their chances. He had a hard start, which isn't uncommon in the league, and he had bad injury problems, a nagging groin all year. To say the Kings got fooled isn't the right comment to make, but this is the Kings, and nagging injuries and season ending/season ruining injuries are to be expected. I'm sure if the Kings had Palffy, Allison, Deadmarsh, Straka, Miller and Visnovsky for an entire season they would have easily made the playoffs no matter how injuried or how well the goaltending had been. By the time the Kings got all the guys back they were going to get, most of them were out of shape and the rest were overrworked and it didn't help them that trading for Anson Carter was a huge waste of time.

GoneFullHextall 05-25-2004 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122

getting a 2nd rounder for a non-playoff goaltender is fair market value IMO

John Flyers Fan 05-25-2004 07:43 AM

Quote:

From todays Daily News. http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8752708.htm

Clarke said Phantoms goalie Antero Niittymaki is ready for the NHL. Niittymaki will back up Robert Esche next season, assuming the team can work something out with Sean Burke, who has a $4 million option for next season. Clarke said Phoenix would pay part of the sum if the Flyers bought out Burke.

If Burke excercises his option the Flyers could buy him out for $2.83 million (or less if there is a buyout cluase in the contract). The Coyotes would pick up a chunk of that as well.

Flyers26 05-25-2004 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Clarke said Phantoms goalie Antero Niittymaki is ready for the NHL. Niittymaki will back up Robert Esche next season, assuming the team can work something out with Sean Burke, who has a $4 million option for next season. Clarke said Phoenix would pay part of the sum if the Flyers bought out Burke.

If Burke excercises his option the Flyers could buy him out for $2.83 million (or less if there is a buyout cluase in the contract). The Coyotes would pick up a chunk of that as well.

Good ridddance to bad rubbish!

Cuiff 05-25-2004 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

That's funny, I though I told you all this would happen. :razz:

I guess I am right again!!!

Blindside9711 05-25-2004 09:57 AM

Burke played pretty decently when we needed him to, namely in the Leafs series when Esche had to leave the game with flu symptoms. That being said, he's still not worth $4 mil'. I'd much rather see Niitts get his time backing up Esche with lots of starts in the pre-season.

Teezax 05-25-2004 10:54 AM

I hope Esche doesn't pull a Boucher after a good playoff run, but in case he does, Nitty will be waiting and that's all I could ask for. Now, on to assasinating John Leclair...