HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   No surprises: Koivu on World Cup Finland team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=80042)

Whitesnake 05-25-2004 10:25 AM

No surprises: Koivu Finland World Cup team

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=85154

Good news for the captain! :handclap:

Mooch 05-25-2004 10:46 AM

Ohhhhhh, but it is....... :eek:

Well done Saks, just another normal year for our Captain :D

Karl Pilkington 05-25-2004 10:54 AM

He'll prolly be captain too..

SAKU! :bow:

markov` 05-25-2004 11:16 AM

He's the better candidate to captain Team Finland. I would have thought his brother would have made the team...could have been interesting.

Bow to Saku!

Marksman 05-25-2004 11:45 AM

Saku will certainly be the captain. Jokinen and Selanne maybe assistants.

Thankfully Germany is in the same group with Finns, so there is one team we can beat.:)

Mikko didnt have very good season (military service), I'm not surpriced at all he wasnt included.

EaGLE1 05-25-2004 05:54 PM

I'm glad that Koivu is now considered the best product from Finland.
Ahead of Selanne!!!!!!!! :yo:

Roots73 05-25-2004 05:57 PM

Looks like Finland will be sporting a very competitive team in the upcoming world's. Koivu is a great guy and I hope for the best for his homeland.... but I hope that Canada crushes them like a bug!! ***Just kidding***

The key for Finland in this years edition as opposed to previous world tourneys, is the Kipper. If Mikka Kiprusoff ( thought he was Russian :dunno: ) has as good a tourney as his playoff run now, Finland could go deep.

Along with the Czech's with Vokoun, both Finland and the Czech Rep. could be legit darkhorses to win it all. If Canada can't win, I wouldn't mind if Koivu raised the IKEA lamp err... World Cup trophy.

Traitor8 05-25-2004 06:00 PM

Good showing with Selanne could make Selanne come to Habs? intersting...

EaGLE1 05-25-2004 06:02 PM

Europeans country now develop real good goalkeepers. It's a new datum.

KOMO_ROCKS 05-25-2004 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Good showing with Selanne could make Selanne come to Habs? intersting...

Hopefully not, I am looking forward to seeing Kovalev coming back next season to play with the habs though, if there is hockey

Howie Morenz 05-25-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoseTheo
He'll prolly be captain too..

SAKU! :bow:

That's a guarantee. :bow:

Minos 05-25-2004 08:32 PM

They chose Aki Berg over Janne Niinimaa ?!?! That would be as stupid as Canada naming some chump like Kirk Maltby instead of keith Primeau. THEY WHAT? Oh....

Tuggy 05-25-2004 09:31 PM

Saku should be named captain. Can't wait to see him play with Selanne again.

Habsaku 05-25-2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minos
They chose Aki Berg over Janne Niinimaa ?!?! That would be as stupid as Canada naming some chump like Kirk Maltby instead of keith Primeau. THEY WHAT? Oh....

Niinimaa plays terrible in internationnal tourneys and hasnt had a great season this year so its easy to understand why. They have plenty of puck movers so why not have someone who can clear the crease. Besides, Primeau's one great playoff run isnt enough to get him a spot, remember how great the grind line was two years ago? At least they won the cup...

Minos 05-26-2004 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Niinimaa plays terrible in internationnal tourneys and hasnt had a great season this year so its easy to understand why. They have plenty of puck movers so why not have someone who can clear the crease.

Agreed, Niinimaa isn't coming off his best season. Janne will never be confused with Scott Stevens, but he's not bad in his own zone - he's a pretty solid two way D. Finland could definitely use a crease clearing D, something which Berg refuses to do (atleast in Leaf games). His staking makes him a pretty good defender when it comes to chasing pucks down & clearing the zone. it also (usually) allows him to stick with his man. However, he's down right awefull at using his size, tying up the player he's sticking to, and knocking people down. He's a decent 'zone' defenseman, but is a pretty bad one on one defender. If it was my choice, I'd go with Niinimaa - he's more likely to have an impact.

Quote:

Besides, Primeau's one great playoff run isnt enough to get him a spot...
How about a pretty solid career, isn't that enough to earn him a spot? The fact that he's playing well now (err last week) only adds to the many reasons why he should have been named. He's huge, he's got decent skills, he's versatile (C, RW, PP, PK etc.), he's a leader, he's played internationally before, oh - and he's huge. When we face America, that's gonna mean something.

Quote:

...remember how great the grind line was two years ago? At least they won the cup...
So, in your mind raming Primeau for the way he's playing now isn't reason enough, but remembering what Maltby did 2 seasons ago is? When I called Maltby a "chump" I was exaggerating to make a point. He is a good player, and one of the better roll players in the league. No doubt, having guys like that will help us - particularly against Sweden because he seems to love shutting down Forsberg - but I'm more worried about America than any other team, and against them Primeau would have been more effective than Maltby (and Primeau wouldn't hurt us against any other team either). I think Maltby will play well against the European teams, who generally speaking tend to be more easily distracted by grinder/pests type players, but could easily be a non-factor vs. the US. I think Primeau would be a pretty consistant player against all teams, and would take it up a notch against America - they can ignore Maltby, but would have to worry about Primeau.

I guess what I'm saying is that Maltby isn't a bad choice, he's just not a good choice when considering that Primeau is available. To be honest, I would have named Primeau before any of Richards, Marleau, Gagne, Morrow, Draper - maybe even before Doan or Smyth too. NONE of those guys are bad choices, I'm confident that each of them will contribute in some way, I'd just rather see Primeau in the line up than any of them.

Darz 05-26-2004 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Besides, Primeau's one great playoff run isnt enough to get him a spot, remember how great the grind line was two years ago? At least they won the cup...

Agreed, partially, but you are forgetting Primeau's international play with Canada has been pretty good. I'm sure he could of played as good on a grind line as Maltby especially on the smaller ice surface.

But I'm not going to 2nd guess Gretzky's choices mind you. He brought us the gold last time he assembled a team, so I think he gets all the benifits of the doubt....for now.

Mooch 05-26-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Agreed, partially, but you are forgetting Primeau's international play with Canada has been pretty good. I'm sure he could of played as good on a grind line as Maltby especially on the smaller ice surface.

But I'm not going to 2nd guess Gretzky's choices mind you. He brought us the gold last time he assembled a team, so I think he gets all the benifits of the doubt....for now.

I wouldnt question Gretzky either often, but this time i do. I dont care what Premieau has done in the past, as of right now he is a force to rekon with. so why not put him on the team. Just my opinion, im still upset hes not there, hes been my favourite checking centre for the past two seasons!

Marksman 05-26-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minos

Niinimaa fell on his behind few times too many in World Champs, thats why.

But there is still pretty good chance, he will be included anyway. Jere Karalahti was rejected by NHL and Janne is the next best option.

EaGLE1 05-26-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
I wouldnt question Gretzky either often, but this time i do. I dont care what Premieau has done in the past, as of right now he is a force to rekon with. so why not put him on the team. Just my opinion, im still upset hes not there, hes been my favourite checking centre for the past two seasons!

If Yzerman or Lemieux can't go to the tournament, guess who will replace? Big Mother****er Keith Primeau...voilą!

Brisson11 05-26-2004 05:55 PM

So what if the grind line worked 2 years ago. Doesn't mean they will be as good this year. Primeau is a monster performer babbyyy!