HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Gagne is gone. What is our next move? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=801020)

Kaktus* 07-20-2010 08:21 AM

Gagne is gone. What is our next move?

Are we going to go after Turco?
Are we going to re-sign Powe?
Are we going to trade d-men? As of now we have 8.
Are we going to add another forward? Maybe?
Are we going to waive some players like Cote?

What are we going to do with so many tough guys on our team? (Carcillo, Shelley, O'Donnell, Walker, Cote)

Is our team set? No more moves. Is this it?

Note: O'Donnell Can play but he is still tough guy.

DUHockey9 07-20-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaktus (Post 27001853)
Are we going to go after Turco?
Are we going to re-sign Powe?
Are we going to trade d-men? As of now we have 8.
Are we going to add another forward? Maybe?
Are we going to waive some players like Cote?

What are we going to do with so many tough guys on our team? (Carcillo, Shelley, O'Donnell, Walker, Cote)

Is our team set? No more moves. Is this it?

Note: O'Donnell Can play but he is still tough guy.

I just posted this in another thread.

I'm pretty confident Powe will be back.

NHLnumbers has us about 1 mill under currently and we currently have 13 forwards signed (the 13th being Cote), 8 Defenseman, and 2 goalies.

There are also, I will call them, 2 "players of interest", those being Powe and Turco.

Cote and Powe are almost a wash salary wise. Cote makes 550k and Powe won't command much more. I will say 700k to be conservative. Cote is waived, Powe is signed, results in a net loss of 150kish.

We currently have 8 D-men. I think it's safe to say Bartulis is sent down. Net gain of 600k.

So far we've taken a hit of about 150k (in Powe) and gained 600k (in Bartulis), so we're looking at +450k of space. So we sit at about 1.45 mill in cap space. If we have genuine interest in Turco, or any other goalie, (which I believe we do), we clearly would have no need for Boucher any longer. Boucher could be waived/traded and that's another 900k gained. So we've got about 2.35 million we could allocate towards a goalie, which IMO is more than enough to sign Turco.

In summary....

~1 mill in ACTUAL space
~2.05 in easily lost/unnecessary cap space (Cote, Bartulis, Boucher)
~3.05 in feasible cap space

Powe and Turco could be easily signed, we could have a few hundred K in wiggle room, and we'd field an entire roster of 13 forwards, 7 D, and 2 goalies.

Alchemy 07-20-2010 08:28 AM

I doubt we go after a goalie..

I honesty think we are going in with the Leighton/Boucher combo...

Homer wouldn't have beefed up on defense so much if we were going after a competent goalie.

MasterofGrond 07-20-2010 08:29 AM

Bring back Zhitnik.

Jimmy Villa 07-20-2010 08:30 AM

I think we'll do NOTHING more of interest. The final insult from Holmgren.

Scarily, I actually think he believes that the roster as it is has improved us, and that this set up will make the difference this year :shakehead

I would LIKE us to what DUHockey9 proposes. there is no place for Cote on this roster, Powe is our top PK guy, and will be essential now with Gagne out & Zherdev in.

And bringing in Turco or Theodore (?) is the only possible way that Holmgren can save face from this off season.

Valhoun* 07-20-2010 08:32 AM

Unless Homer can find some other way to **** out the team, I think we are done.

Of course, Yzerman could always offer his 3rd round pick for Kimmo.

Lab Monkey 07-20-2010 08:32 AM

Clearly we move Richards Carter Giroux and JVR for David Fischer and Alexei Yemelin.

ClasslessGuy 07-20-2010 08:35 AM

Hartnell for Spacek :P

CharlieGirl 07-20-2010 08:36 AM

Damned if I know.

Homer hasn't done much that makes any sense since June 30, so I can't guess what is in his mind (assuming anything is there).

The fact that he's said publicly that he's perfectly comfortable going into the season with Leighton/Boucher makes me hope that he's a bold faced liar. But I honestly don't know.

Kaktus* 07-20-2010 08:37 AM

Is it possible to waive Boucher and sign Turco? It is less then 2M a year we originally offered him but now that he is still jobless and no one really wants him?? Maybe waive Boucher and Cote?

Aside from horrible Gagne trade we still have **** in our net. Worst 2 goaltenders in the NHL as of right freaking now imo. How the hell can we win anything?

CharlieGirl 07-20-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp10 (Post 27001987)
Hartnell for Spacek :P

There is that option. The Flyers are going to be the first team to dress 3 forward lines, and 4 defense pairings (plus a spare) every game.

Zherdev - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
JvR - Carter - Carcillo

Carle - Pronger
Timonen - Coburn
O'Donnell - Meszaros
Walker - Bartulis

dookie88 07-20-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa (Post 27001939)
I think we'll do NOTHING more of interest. The final insult from Holmgren.

Scarily, I actually think he believes that the roster as it is has improved us, and that this set up will make the difference this year :shakehead

I would LIKE us to what DUHockey9 proposes. there is no place for Cote on this roster, Powe is our top PK guy,
and will be essential now with Gagne out & Zherdev in.

And bringing in Turco or Theodore (?) is the only possible way that Holmgren can save face from this off
season.

Let's not overreact here, Powe's not our top PK guy.
We have Richards, Betts, Lappy, Carter, Giroux who all played on the PK aswell.

Larry44 07-20-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaktus (Post 27002005)
Is it possible to waive Boucher and sign Turco? It is less then 2M a year we originally offered him but now that he is still jobless and no one really wants him?? Maybe waive Boucher and Cote?

Aside from horrible Gagne trade we still have **** in our net. Worst 2 goaltenders in the NHL as of right freaking now imo. How the hell can we win anything?

Yes, but first they will trade Hartnell and Carle to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan.

Kaktus* 07-20-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 27002026)
Yes, but first they will trade Hartnell and Carle to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan.

I'll go nutz... but I do see this type of move in our future.

DeadPhish5858 07-20-2010 08:40 AM

I hope the next move is trading Hartnell for Lundqvist.

CharlieGirl 07-20-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 27002053)
I hope the next move is trading Hartnell for Lundqvist.

Before that happens, we're gonna have to send Holmgren to the Rangers. That way, the Flyers can get a 2nd rounder added with Lundqvist.

healthyscratch 07-20-2010 08:43 AM

The return of Kerry Huffman.

jd2210 07-20-2010 08:45 AM

What I THINK:

very little. Maybe sign Powe and waive Cote. Probably head into camp with 8 D cuz Homer is an idiot.

What I HOPE:
sign Powe, waive Cote, Trade Coburn for either some high picks, a decent forward prospect or a solid backup/1b goalie, trade Boucher for whatever little you can get (I don't want him waived and have him take games from Bobo), Sign Turco.

JSTAFF 07-20-2010 08:46 AM

Anyone have any interest in Lee Stempniak? I dont know why I've always liked him. Granted I know little about him.

I feel really bad for our defenders in the AHL. They literally never get a chance to make the team out of camp.

Alchemy 07-20-2010 08:47 AM

I like the fact that we have 8 defenseman. Yeah sure some of the contracts are disputable but is anyone really counting on our top 4 being healthy all season??? We got lucky that our defense was insanely healthy all year. We have depth there.

Jimmy Villa 07-20-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dookie88 (Post 27002024)
Let's not overreact here, Powe's not our top PK guy.
We have Richards, Betts, Lappy, Carter, Giroux who all played on the PK aswell.

Duly noted :nod:

But in light of the 2-way play loss of Gags, and the addition of very 1 way Zherdev, I would think Powe, for the hit, is now essential

CharlieGirl 07-20-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa (Post 27002129)
Duly noted :nod:

But in light of the 2-way play loss of Gags, and the addition of very 1 way Zherdev, I would think Powe, for the hit, is now essential

I wonder if Nodl's emergence in the playoffs last year has made Powe redundant. Although I prefer Powe, Nodl was a very nice surprise and played more physical and with more defensive awareness than I ever expected to see.

Alchemy 07-20-2010 08:53 AM

I am confused to why people think Powe is a good defensive forward. He is fast and works hard okay i give him that. At ES he is a liability. Has no offensive skills at all. He isn't even close to being our top penalty killer. He sucks at faceoffs

Kaktus* 07-20-2010 08:54 AM

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...trade/45/29412
By Bill Meltzer

As far as Matt Walker goes, he earns a lot of money for a player who currently projects to be the club's seventh defenseman. There are too many seasons left on his contract to justify waiving him, so I once again suspect that the Flyers will try to move another defenseman -- with Matt Carle being the most obvious candidate by process of elimination -- move Andrej Meszaros up to play with Chris Pronger and have Walker and Sean O'Donnell provide an experienced, defensive minded third pairing with enough cap money left over to sign either Marty Turco or Jose Theodore. Note that this scenario is strictly my own speculation at this point. I fully understand the need for blueline depth, but you can't have seven D-men earning seven-figure contracts, can you?

Alchemy 07-20-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 27002140)
I wonder if Nodl's emergence in the playoffs last year has made Powe redundant. Although I prefer Powe, Nodl was a very nice surprise and played more physical and with more defensive awareness than I ever expected to see.

Nodl also works good on the boards and can work the cycle..