HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flashback: SanFillipo Offseason Shakeup Article (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=801085)

FreshPerspective 07-20-2010 01:12 PM

Flashback: SanFillipo Offseason Shakeup Article

Ok so WTF happened? Who was this "inside" source and why do we still think that what Leighton did wasn't "luck" as the source suggests considering how Leighton choked in the Finals when it mattered against a team with an actual offense?

Maybe SanFillipo was full of dung but even so this nebulous insider even if contrived made sense!

Quote:

The person I spoke with will remain anonymous, just know that it's someone within the organization who has full knowledge of what the team's personnel decisions and plans are.

Here is what he said to me:

"We can't go into next year with the same situation or a similar situation in goal that we have right now. What happened this year is really nobody's fault. Ray (Emery) came in here and did everything we asked and was good until he got hurt. We got lucky with (Michael) Leighton, but we can't expect to win doing things this way in goal.

"It's already been decided that our No. 1 priority for next season is to get a goalie. We have to go out and get that player and commit to him as our guy.

"It's probably going to mean somebody is going to have to be traded away, especially if we go after a young goalie on another team, but that's what we're going to have to do. We can't keep going the way we have been. The goalie has to be the most important target and we don't want to keep replacing one veteran with another. We want to get a guy who can be our goalie for several years.... We have to go in another direction."

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...b087029385.txt

chimrichalds18 07-20-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

"The goalie has to be the most important target and we don't want to keep replacing one veteran with another. We want to get a guy who can be our goalie for several years.... We have to go in another direction."
I'm sure this could be taken multiple ways, but it's confusing to me -- what I've read is that Turco wants multiple years but the Flyers only want to give him one. Doesn't that go against the bolded?

Of course, given what we've seen over the last month, I shouldn't be expecting things to make sense.

Haute Couturier 07-20-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 27005437)
Ok so WTF happened? Who was this "inside" source and why do we still think that what Leighton did wasn't "luck" as the source suggests considering how Leighton choked in the Finals when it mattered against a team with an actual offense?

Maybe SanFillipo was full of dung but even so this nebulous insider even if contrived made sense!

SanFilippo followed up that article with another one during the Montreal series. He said he talked to that same source who was now saying Leighton was the guy they were looking for all along (this was after the 2 shutouts) and they were going to re-sign him. Obviously they were fooled by his play.

Jester 07-20-2010 02:52 PM

Those bygone days... before a flukey playoff run put starbursts in everyone's eyes.

FreshPerspective 07-20-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 27007463)
SanFilippo followed up that article with another one during the Montreal series. He said he talked to that same source who was now saying Leighton was the guy they were looking for all along (this was after the 2 shutouts) and they were going to re-sign him. Obviously they were fooled by his play.

And here I thought there was a voice of reason within the organization.....I just got a pit in my stomach now. I wonder who this source that engages in cognitive dissonance really is! :shakehead

turkinaa 07-20-2010 03:14 PM

I don't know who his inside sources are, but I sure like their magical pixie drink. It makes all the stupid moves the team is making look like it was part of a real plan.