HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Cleaning hockey gloves and skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=801855)

Frankie Spankie 07-22-2010 09:11 AM

Cleaning hockey gloves and skates
 
Does anybody have any suggestions for cleaning gloves? I usually just hose down my gear and throw in non-plastic pieces into my washer machine, but not sure what the best way to clean skates and gloves out. I don't want to soak my skates because I have a feeling that they will become damaged from staying in water for too long.

For gloves, I used to soak my old paper but they got stiff and the palms started to tear open very quickly. I since bought a better pair of gloves (I got Farrell HG300 gloves) and the palms aren't nearly as stiff. I don't want to ruin another pair of gloves, especially since these are much better than my old pair. Does anybody have any good suggestions for washing gloves out? I used to stick a deoderant ball in each glove for a day to help the smell air out but that doesn't actually clean them, they're slowly starting to get stiffer.

Cowbell232 07-22-2010 09:54 AM

As for skates, you can try Lysol-ing the boots out, and a lot of skates have removable inserts you can take out and wash and/or replace as needed. You can also use stuff like Gold Bond foot powder and the like.

Gloves, well, they'll always smell from my experience. You can try cleaning them with disinfectant like Lysol, or a lot of people use a spray bottle with a rubbing alcohol/water mix to kill the bacteria and then a deodorizer like Febreeze to remove the smell. Good luck.

Jarick 07-22-2010 10:32 AM

For skates, I would remove the footbed when you play then set them out to dry. Don't put them in a garage or basement if there's not good air flow, you don't want mold. A bit of Lysol probably would work fine since you don't really touch your skin to them. If they need a heavy duty cleaning, I'd have a professional ozone cleaning done, would never put them in water.

For gloves, they will always smell, best thing is to prevent issues by airing them out after games and spray them with a little rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle (mixed 50/50 with water seems to work). This helps kill the bacteria. Lysol is not good for the skin, so I wouldn't spray the rest of your gear with it. If the palms get crusty and hard, get some shaving cream with lanolin in it and rub it all over the inside and outside of the palm, then let it air dry. Should leave it clean and soft.

I don't ever put gear in the washing machine because it can damage the material and threads. I fill a bath tub with warm water and put a cap full of laundry detergent with oxyclean in it (the Arm and Hammer stuff). Or you can do a cap of laundry detergent with oxyclean on the side. That's like color safe bleach. Let it soak for half an hour, then drain it, then fill the tub with clean warm water, soak again, and drain. If the gear is still soapy, rinse it clean. Then let it air dry for a few days with a fan blowing on it.

The better the gear, the quicker it will dry. All of my stuff has the quick drying antimicrobial liners so it dries out in under 24 hours with a fan blowing on it.

nystromshairstylist 07-22-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27043722)
For skates, I would remove the footbed when you play then set them out to dry. Don't put them in a garage or basement if there's not good air flow, you don't want mold. A bit of Lysol probably would work fine since you don't really touch your skin to them. If they need a heavy duty cleaning, I'd have a professional ozone cleaning done, would never put them in water.

For gloves, they will always smell, best thing is to prevent issues by airing them out after games and spray them with a little rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle (mixed 50/50 with water seems to work). This helps kill the bacteria. Lysol is not good for the skin, so I wouldn't spray the rest of your gear with it. If the palms get crusty and hard, get some shaving cream with lanolin in it and rub it all over the inside and outside of the palm, then let it air dry. Should leave it clean and soft.

I don't ever put gear in the washing machine because it can damage the material and threads. I fill a bath tub with warm water and put a cap full of laundry detergent with oxyclean in it (the Arm and Hammer stuff). Or you can do a cap of laundry detergent with oxyclean on the side. That's like color safe bleach. Let it soak for half an hour, then drain it, then fill the tub with clean warm water, soak again, and drain. If the gear is still soapy, rinse it clean. Then let it air dry for a few days with a fan blowing on it.

The better the gear, the quicker it will dry. All of my stuff has the quick drying antimicrobial liners so it dries out in under 24 hours with a fan blowing on it.

Regarding the shaving cream with lanolin; I use Bauer 4-rolls - would this chemical damage the palms? Maybe lanolin works well with certain materials and not others...

Jarick 07-22-2010 10:55 AM

Should work well on all palms, it's pretty mild. And it smells fantastic :D

Hockeyfan68 07-22-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 27043235)
As for skates, you can try Lysol-ing the boots out, and a lot of skates have removable inserts you can take out and wash and/or replace as needed. You can also use stuff like Gold Bond foot powder and the like.

Gloves, well, they'll always smell from my experience. You can try cleaning them with disinfectant like Lysol, or a lot of people use a spray bottle with a rubbing alcohol/water mix to kill the bacteria and then a deodorizer like Febreeze to remove the smell. Good luck.

For skates I have never had a smell issue but guys who play in their bare feet do so that is a helpful tip you gave.

For gloves I do what you said and it works very very well. I don't use any febreze though, just alcohol.

I used to have terrible glove odor and over the years found what works on my own after trying different thing and alcohol is the best for sure.

ChiTownHawks 07-22-2010 12:28 PM

For my gloves I let them air dry for a couple days. Then I get some "green works" clorox wipes. They are all natural wipes that use plant based cleaners instead of chemicals to kill germs. I like the wipes better then spray because I can kind of wrap them around my finger and really wipe the gloves out good. I have been doing this for a while now and it works great. The smell is almost completely gone after they dry out from the wipes. The plant based stuff does not irratate my skin either.

Cowbell232 07-22-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks (Post 27045611)
For my gloves I let them air dry for a couple days. Then I get some "green works" clorox wipes. They are all natural wipes that use plant based cleaners instead of chemicals to kill germs. I like the wipes better then spray because I can kind of wrap them around my finger and really wipe the gloves out good. I have been doing this for a while now and it works great. The smell is almost completely gone after they dry out from the wipes. The plant based stuff does not irratate my skin either.

Damn that's a good idea.

I'm going to have to pick up some of those wipes!

ChiTownHawks 07-22-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 27046764)
Damn that's a good idea.

I'm going to have to pick up some of those wipes!

Cool, let us know if it works for you too. I know it does not irratate my skin at all, but if you get a rash or something don't coming looking for me or anything. ;)

triggrman 07-22-2010 03:35 PM

I spray every thing down with rubbing alcohol. I just pour it into a spray bottle then soak all my gear and let it air out.

I'm sure this might be bad for some things but most of my stuff is getting pretty old now, it doesn't smell.

DevsFan84 07-22-2010 04:40 PM

a mixture of 1 part rubbing alcohol/2 parts water is what I recommend to all of my customers for the inside of skates, gloves, etc.

It's cheap, and I have not experienced any breakdown of materials over extended periods of time. However, it may discolor some types of fabrics so only spray it on the inside of equipment if you care about that.

Frankie Spankie 07-22-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27043722)
For skates, I would remove the footbed when you play then set them out to dry. Don't put them in a garage or basement if there's not good air flow, you don't want mold. A bit of Lysol probably would work fine since you don't really touch your skin to them. If they need a heavy duty cleaning, I'd have a professional ozone cleaning done, would never put them in water.

For gloves, they will always smell, best thing is to prevent issues by airing them out after games and spray them with a little rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle (mixed 50/50 with water seems to work). This helps kill the bacteria. Lysol is not good for the skin, so I wouldn't spray the rest of your gear with it. If the palms get crusty and hard, get some shaving cream with lanolin in it and rub it all over the inside and outside of the palm, then let it air dry. Should leave it clean and soft.

I don't ever put gear in the washing machine because it can damage the material and threads. I fill a bath tub with warm water and put a cap full of laundry detergent with oxyclean in it (the Arm and Hammer stuff). Or you can do a cap of laundry detergent with oxyclean on the side. That's like color safe bleach. Let it soak for half an hour, then drain it, then fill the tub with clean warm water, soak again, and drain. If the gear is still soapy, rinse it clean. Then let it air dry for a few days with a fan blowing on it.

The better the gear, the quicker it will dry. All of my stuff has the quick drying antimicrobial liners so it dries out in under 24 hours with a fan blowing on it.

I don't actually machine wash too much. The things I'll throw in are jerseys, socks, those spandex jock shorts (even says machine washable on mine), a set of Farrell shoulder pads (they're literally just spandex and foam, I only machine wash them because I've seen some people here say they machine wash them and never have issues), and the liners on my shin pads, which are basically just tough cloth and a little bit of padding. I never had problems with those. But you are making me a bit paranoid now. :laugh:

Thanks for the tips though everybody, I'll have to make sure to try that shaving cream trick on my gloves. Does anyone recommend a certain amount of shaving cream to use?

Also, for the half alcohol and water mixture, do you just spray that and leave it to try, or do you spray it, let it dry, and then hose it off again?

Thanks again.

DevsFan84 07-22-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 27051327)
Also, for the half alcohol and water mixture, do you just spray that and leave it to try, or do you spray it, let it dry, and then hose it off again?

Thanks again.

No need to rinse- rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly.

DevilsFan38 07-22-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 27043235)
As for skates, you can try Lysol-ing the boots out, and a lot of skates have removable inserts you can take out and wash and/or replace as needed. You can also use stuff like Gold Bond foot powder and the like.

Gloves, well, they'll always smell from my experience. You can try cleaning them with disinfectant like Lysol, or a lot of people use a spray bottle with a rubbing alcohol/water mix to kill the bacteria and then a deodorizer like Febreeze to remove the smell. Good luck.

I use a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol/water, just spraying down the inside of the glove (but not the palm). Bacteria is what creates the smell, so if you kill the bacteria you shouldn't need the febreeze.

What I've noticed is by far the most important thing to do to keep your stuff from smelling is AIR IT OUT AFTER YOU PLAY. As soon as I get home everything gets pulled out of the bag, sprayed down (except my skates and helmet), and spread out to dry. Jerseys and socks get hung up. Even if it's late and you're busy taking the five minutes to do that will make a big difference.

Jarick 07-22-2010 07:32 PM

Yep, spray and forget. The key is to air it out ASAP when you get home.

That stuff is fine, I thought you were referring to gloves and pants, etc! If you have a front loader, you can probably get away with it on the slowest/gentlest setting, but a normal washer will rip your stuff up. I put an old pair of gloves in the wash in a laundry bag and the stitching still came out a bit and the vinyl finish got a bit ripped up.

Little tip though, if you have nice jerseys with sewed on nameplates or logos, turn them inside out and wash them on the gentlest setting, then hang them to dry.

The Tikkanen 07-22-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 27051327)
I don't actually machine wash too much. The things I'll throw in are jerseys, socks, those spandex jock shorts (even says machine washable on mine), a set of Farrell shoulder pads (they're literally just spandex and foam, I only machine wash them because I've seen some people here say they machine wash them and never have issues), and the liners on my shin pads, which are basically just tough cloth and a little bit of padding. I never had problems with those. But you are making me a bit paranoid now. :laugh:

Thanks for the tips though everybody, I'll have to make sure to try that shaving cream trick on my gloves. Does anyone recommend a certain amount of shaving cream to use?

Also, for the half alcohol and water mixture, do you just spray that and leave it to try, or do you spray it, let it dry, and then hose it off again?

Thanks again.

I bought an HE wash machine that doesnt have a tumbler in the middle so I wash ice hockey pants, jock, shin pads, elbow pads, shoulder pads and haven't had a problem. Gloves I spray with Febreze antimicrobial or Febreze Sport after every game, air dry and then spray again before I play. That seems to work really well, have had the gloves over a year and no smell. Once they get to the point I cannot defeat the funk then they go bye bye and it's time for new gloves.

Heat McManus 07-23-2010 01:50 PM

Gloves, hot water in a bucket, woolite, ring out, let dry.

If they're really funky, nothing is going to get the smell out unless you flush out everything, this includes the fingers. Palms get soaked anyway and if their in bad shape it's not going to do them any more damage. Not the best thing for pristine palms though.

If you use shaving cream for the palms use BARBASOL! No Gilette gel or any of that good ****. BARBASOL! Regular BARBA-SOL!

I recommend using Arxodos spray for all equipment. But you have to make sure its clean first. Get off the ice, mist everything with it, you're good.

greech 07-23-2010 10:19 PM

I put everything except my helmet and skates in the wash on the gentle cycle with detergent and borax. Haven't found anything that works better than that. Skates can go for a quick dunk in the pool, so long as you let them dry out nicely, and not in the sun.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.