HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Injury Report: Sami Salo...injured again during summer training (achilles tendon busted) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=802240)

Pepper 07-23-2010 07:43 AM

Sami Salo...injured again during summer training (achilles tendon busted)

No links in english yet but Salo was apparently playing floorball yesterday with few other finnish hockey players as part of his summer training and during the game he broke his achilles tendon (dunno if it's totally cut or "only" damaged).

This might change Nucks interest to trade Bieksa right?

Lui One Hall 07-23-2010 07:51 AM

Here's the original source(Finnish sports magazine, Urheilulehti): http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko...ntui-vakavasti

robotco 07-23-2010 07:54 AM

salo getting injured isn't news. i'm sure that gillis and co. expect it at some point and have contingency plans. bieksa getting traded really isn't an option to back away from for the nucks. other teams have interest in him, salo is too old to be traded anywhere, nucks need to clear salary, nucks have too many d-men signed. all signs point to bieksa being traded by oct 5th.

Finnpin 07-23-2010 07:55 AM

:amazed: that's bad luck...though Sami is used to it.

Urheilulehti is crappy magazine but I'm sure this is true...

http://www.tep.fi/lrhanke/JPEG_pikku...Sahlymies2.jpg

Hammer79 07-23-2010 07:57 AM

Wow, Salo has the worst luck...

Depending on the prognosis, it probably would put Bieksa trade rumors to rest. If he is out long-term, can the Canucks exceed the cap by 10% before training camp and not include Salo's salary in the 10% over? I'm assuming not... Can he be put on LTIR during the summer, allowing the Canucks to use his LTIR replacement money once the Canucks reach the cap ceiling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotco (Post 27058706)
salo getting injured isn't news. i'm sure that gillis and co. expect it at some point and have contingency plans. bieksa getting traded really isn't an option to back away from for the nucks. other teams have interest in him, salo is too old to be traded anywhere, nucks need to clear salary, nucks have too many d-men signed. all signs point to bieksa being traded by oct 5th.

If Salo is too old to be traded, why not just waive him or LTIR him then and keep Bieksa? This might explain why MG hasn't seemed to be in much of a hurry to trade Bieksa. If the injury did indeed happen in June, he probably found out about it sometime around the draft.

ZyggZagg 07-23-2010 08:10 AM

No way...

me2 07-23-2010 08:11 AM

3-6 months maybe depending on salos recovery. opens a spot for Mitchell if the injury looks longer/more serious.

Pepper 07-23-2010 08:11 AM

Injury happened yesterday, not in june. Atleast 4 months out is the early prediction.

me2 07-23-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 27058777)
Injury happened yesterday, not in june. Atleast 4 months out is the early prediction.

assuming salo doesn't get gangrene on that leg

Bleach Clean 07-23-2010 08:48 AM

You've got to be kidding me...

There is a long recovery time for a ruptured Achilles Tendon. No doubt that the process will be slowed by Salo's age. Old and fragile.

Perhaps this will force his retirement??

EmeticDonut 07-23-2010 08:58 AM

Can someone post Salo's injury history. It seems the guys has at least a couple of injuries a year. Guy is still a warrior for fighting through it.

JuniorNelson 07-23-2010 09:08 AM

This shuffles the deck. If true, it simplifies the cap situation. Salo's salary covers off Raymond's raise. Keep Salo on LTR until Bieksa suffers his annual skate cut and all is well.

Peter Griffin 07-23-2010 09:43 AM

If Salo is out for 4 months as speculated I don't know if Gillis can afford to move Bieksa. Losing Salo and trading Bieksa would leave the team with zero RH'ed shots on the team's defense and really only Mikael Samuellsson as the only RH'ed option to man the point on the PP. Not sure what Gillis' options are as far as "hiding" Salo's cap hit during the off-season but I'm sure this throws a wrench into his plans with regards to Bieksa. Here's hoping Salo decides to retire.

Peter Griffin 07-23-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuniorNelson (Post 27059086)
This shuffles the deck. If true, it simplifies the cap situation. Salo's salary covers off Raymond's raise. Keep Salo on LTR until Bieksa suffers his annual skate cut and all is well.

The problem is whether or not Gillis can place Salo on LTIR during the off-season. I'm not so sure he can and if he can't, the Canucks will have a hard time filling out their roster with Raymond signed and staying below the 10% limit of the cap. They should just be under assuming Raymond doesn't get a ridiculous award in arbitration($4M).

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 07-23-2010 09:49 AM

My guess is that the Canucks now hold onto SOB. I don't think there's any way they can hold onto Salo and Bieksa all season unless we have another year near the top of the man games lost leaderboard.

mcphllp 07-23-2010 10:06 AM

man that guy just cant stay healthy

Phenomenon 07-23-2010 10:18 AM

One of the Finlandīs main newspapers also confirms the injury. It says it takes approximately 4 months to recover.

I canīt remember a season when Sami Salo was not injured. Has there been any?

Diamonddog01 07-23-2010 10:20 AM

This is just ridiculous. Love Sami but I'll be happy when he's off the books next year.

IComeInPeace 07-23-2010 10:22 AM

Sorry to sound ruthless here...

But if he hurts himself off the ice, in a non sanctioned training activity, the Canucks are not on the hook for his salary, correct?
This is a non hockey injury is it not?

How does this effect our cap situation as it relates to Salo?

PRNuck 07-23-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacemaker (Post 27059767)
Sorry to sound ruthless here...

But if he hurts himself off the ice, in a non sanctioned training activity, the Canucks are not on the hook for his salary, correct?
This is a non hockey injury is it not?

How does this effect our cap situation as it relates to Salo?

Oh I hadn't even thought of that, interesting take.

Canucker 07-23-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphllp (Post 27059603)
man that guy just cant stay healthy

Or..."he just won't die!" - God.

roach9 07-23-2010 10:31 AM

Not all bad news... now we can have Bieksa for a while! :)

IComeInPeace 07-23-2010 10:31 AM

I'm betting Salo lives off soda pop and potato chips. There is no way any man can keep getting hurt so easily (shot to the ball5 aside; still love you for that one Sami!).

Dana Murzyn 07-23-2010 10:40 AM

Ready? Aaaand, go:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...ezie/salo1.jpg

*deep breath*

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...ezie/salo2.jpg

And done. Phew!

OneMoreAstronaut 07-23-2010 10:46 AM

People who live in glass bodies shouldn't lift stones.