HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   George Richards: Viner now the sole owner (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=802353)

pb1300 07-23-2010 01:53 PM

Viner now the sole owner
 
Per GR:

The Panthers are expected to announce today that Cliff Viner will become the team's sole managing partner with Stu Siegel remaining on as a limited partner.



Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#ixzz0uX7FbETs

Georgia Panther 07-23-2010 02:04 PM

See what happens when you tangle with GP!

Just kidding. While I would have prefered Stu to be head guy for obvious reasons, it rarely works to have two co-bosses calling the shots so i think this a good move.

Acadmus 07-23-2010 02:19 PM

Don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that the non-hockey guy ends up running the show while the guy with some actual hockey knowledge ends up taking the backseat. Hopefully at least Viner is a real hockey fan on one hand but a hands-off CEO who will let the real hockey minds he helped hire take care of business. And hopefully he's really committed to getting a winning product on ice sooner rather than later.

Georgia Panther 07-23-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 27064467)
Don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that the non-hockey guy ends up running the show while the guy with some actual hockey knowledge ends up taking the backseat. Hopefully at least Viner is a real hockey fan on one hand but a hands-off CEO who will let the real hockey minds he helped hire take care of business. And hopefully he's really committed to getting a winning product on ice sooner rather than later.

Hmmm-I sent an e-mail to Stu wishing him luck and got a message undeliverable in response. Double Hmmmm...:dunno:

Laus723 07-23-2010 03:01 PM

Don't like this at all. Means one guy's money is all that's running this show, I'm guessing, and that could be a big problem...again. Not from a "will he be like Cohen," but more of a "how much money does he have?" standpoint.

Sigh.

panthersfan751 07-23-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 27065220)
Don't like this at all. Means one guy's money is all that's running this show, I'm guessing, and that could be a big problem...again. Not from a "will he be like Cohen," but more of a "how much money does he have?" standpoint.

Sigh.

That's what I'm worried about as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 27064467)
Don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that the non-hockey guy ends up running the show while the guy with some actual hockey knowledge ends up taking the backseat. Hopefully at least Viner is a real hockey fan on one hand but a hands-off CEO who will let the real hockey minds he helped hire take care of business. And hopefully he's really committed to getting a winning product on ice sooner rather than later.

Another good point. At least with Stu we had a hockey person in the ownership. Hopefully Viner gives Tallon the resources to continue remaking this organization.

StrangeVision 07-23-2010 03:16 PM

Don't you all just love being Panthers fans? It's just so fun and exciting. You never know what will happen!

PanthersHockey1 07-23-2010 03:29 PM

I know Cliff Viner personally and find him to be a much more personable person and better fan that stu seigel. For one, While Stu is up in the box seats, Viner and his family actually still maintain the same season tickets theyve had for years (I believe section 109 or one of the sections behind panthers shoot twice, 4 rows behind the glass). that being said seeing as how the panthers are 11 million under the cap it doesnt look like either of these guys are going to be the Rocky Wirtzs (Blackhawks) or Leonsis(Caps) of the league.

Mogo 07-23-2010 03:36 PM

Seriously.. This franchise!!

Gudbranson44 07-23-2010 03:52 PM

im not gonna judge him until i have something to judge him for, but i know one thing for sure and thats it cant be worse than cohen...

Erick 07-23-2010 04:07 PM

Viner seems like the pure businessman.
Siegel seemed to be like the more knowledgable fan who actually knew what he was talking about in interviews because he knows/loves the game.

I would've preferred if this would've happened with Siegel.

FinlandPanther 07-23-2010 04:13 PM

i dont mind at all. viner is always out with the fans and if he screws up they will let him know how they feel :nod:

KWGoon 07-23-2010 04:48 PM

I agree with all the points, and I'll add one. What is Viner's financial share, and could he become a majority owner? Does he have enough money? Or are we still (essentially, if invisibly) under Cohen?

I sure hope Tallon vetted the ownership before he signed on. I must believe he did. Otherwise we could be screwed.

PanthersFanatic12 07-23-2010 04:52 PM

article on viner
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ing-giant.html

angry_treefrog 07-23-2010 05:04 PM

I believe that SSE is an Limited Liability Corporation. If Viner has been named General Partner of the LLC instead of a Limited Partner, that means he is the executive who makes the decisions. Being the GP also means you have greater liability (i.e. for debts and judgements) because you are the one in control. Being a LP (i.e. Cohen) shields you from this.

This move doesn't necessarily imply any change in ownership share. A GP can own 1% of a company and a LP can own 51% of a company. I'm not sure what this move means, but I remain somewhat suspicious of the current ownership arrangement.

Georgia Panther 07-23-2010 05:23 PM

I still say one Owner with the final say is preferable to two as long as the financials work out. Wonder if this move was made possible by asking and receiving permission from the County Commission to change the terms of the lease?

SufferingCatFan 07-23-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 27067124)
I believe that SSE is an Limited Liability Corporation. If Viner has been named General Partner of the LLC instead of a Limited Partner, that means he is the executive who makes the decisions. Being the GP also means you have greater liability (i.e. for debts and judgements) because you are the one in control. Being a LP (i.e. Cohen) shields you from this.

This move doesn't necessarily imply any change in ownership share. A GP can own 1% of a company and a LP can own 51% of a company. I'm not sure what this move means, but I remain somewhat suspicious of the current ownership arrangement.

Right you are. We also do not know the terms of the underlying partnership agreement. I strongly suspect that Cohen remains the majority owner of the team and that he still desires to sell it.

PanthersFanatic12 07-23-2010 07:01 PM

Nice tweet from goldie
goldieonice
"The Panthers road to success may look long right now but I tell you, the RIGHT people are in charge and will make it work. Mark it down! "

6 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

StrangeVision 07-23-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 (Post 27068544)
Nice tweet from goldie
goldieonice
"The Panthers road to success may look long right now but I tell you, the RIGHT people are in charge and will make it work. Mark it down! "

6 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but what exactly would you expect him to say?

angry_treefrog 07-23-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrangeVision (Post 27068947)
I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but what exactly would you expect him to say?

Agree. While this is what everyone wants to believe, you can't expect unbiased insight from someone who's livelihood depends on the organization.

I find it interesting that he admits that the Panthers road to success looks long. THAT is a FAR more telling statement. Even the Mouth of Sauron isn't dishing the Kool Aid any more.

KWGoon 07-23-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 27069064)
Agree. While this is what everyone wants to believe, you can't expect unbiased insight from someone who's livelihood depends on the organization.

I find it interesting that he admits that the Panthers road to success looks long. THAT is a FAR more telling statement. Even the Mouth of Sauron isn't dishing the Kool Aid any more.

Maybe goldie is the new Baghdad Bob?

Tranq 07-23-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWGoon (Post 27069222)
Maybe goldie is the new Baghdad Bob?

:clap::clap:

http://www.dangerouslogic.com/images..._bob_wings.jpg

jol 07-24-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 27067386)
I still say one Owner with the final say is preferable to two as long as the financials work out. Wonder if this move was made possible by asking and receiving permission from the County Commission to change the terms of the lease?

I think county was expecting more transparency when they agreed to give those loans to SSE, i.e. showing "true" revenues etc (I wonder what SSE has been telling to county sofar). But like in Phoenix, terms of lease doesn't mean anything, Phoenix still has more than 20 years left of lease, but it's pretty much guaranteed that they will be back in Winnipeg after coming season.

JOL

Rattrick 07-24-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 27064850)
Hmmm-I sent an e-mail to Stu wishing him luck and got a message undeliverable in response. Double Hmmmm...:dunno:

That's great news. Owners shouldn't be receiving and especially not sending emails to/from fans.

Georgia Panther 07-24-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 27074183)
That's great news. Owners shouldn't be receiving and especially not sending emails to/from fans.

jealous?;):p:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.