HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: Summer 2012 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=802593)

nyr2417 07-24-2010 08:58 AM

Summer 2012
 
The summer when Rozi, Drury, Avery, Christensen, Prust, MZA, and Biron come off the books frees up just about 18.3 million in cap space. And we've got to figure that the cap will go up at least 1.7 million in that time. So going into that summer we will have 20 million dollars in cap space, what will we do?

-Replace Rozi with Ryan Suter(6 cap hit), Brent Burns (contingent on concussion issues), or Johnny Oduya (3.5-4)

-Let Werek take Drury's spot as 3rd/4th line center (ELC)

-Byers can fill avery's roll for a small price, or we can re-sign avery for cheap because there won't be much of a market for him.

-By this time Stepan/Anisimov will be able to competantly fill Christensens roll playing with gaborik.

-Resign Prust give him a raise, if he turns out to develop into a 3rd liner (1.5 cap hit)

-See how MZA progresses and determine whether we want him back or not.

-Biron maybe re-sign 1 year deal.

and that leaves us with over 12 million still to mess around with. Sucks that it's a terrible UFA year. and we are being set up for dumb signings. This is why I think we will definitely get Suter unless he's resigned because he'll be the premiere fa that off-season.

Dubi-Stepan-Gaborik
Grachev-Anisimov- Krieder
Avery-Werek- Callahan
Boogaard-4th line center-Prust

Staal-Girardi
Suter-MDZ
Mcdonaugh-?

tremendous defense but the offense will be very sketchy

Fitzy 07-24-2010 09:42 AM

I have said many times before, as long as we do not **** up, that summer will be the beginning of a couple year period of Ranger competition. We have 2 years of Lundqvist and Gaborik after Drury and Rozy expire.

Many of our top prospects will be ready in 2 years, if they do not bust.

Cally and Dubinsky will be prime.

However at that point Gaborik will be 30, and probably not able to handle the offensive load entirely himself.

Melrose Munch 07-24-2010 09:56 AM

IMO we need neal or someone else.

broadwayblue 07-24-2010 10:05 AM

Certainly it's fun to speculate...but the reality is what we do two summers from now has a LOT to do with how the current players perform and how the guys in the system develop. 2 years is a long time. And I don't think you adjusted the cap for Cally/Dubi who will need to be re-signed next summer.

nyr2417 07-24-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 27074225)
Certainly it's fun to speculate...but the reality is what we do two summers from now has a LOT to do with how the current players perform and how the guys in the system develop. 2 years is a long time. And I don't think you adjusted the cap for Cally/Dubi who will need to be re-signed next summer.

youre right and anisimov as well. so we'' have about 15-17 mill in cap space rather than 20

TrojanRanger 07-24-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2417 (Post 27073834)
The summer when Rozi, Drury, Avery, Christensen, Prust, MZA, and Biron come off the books frees up just about 18.3 million in cap space. And we've got to figure that the cap will go up at least 1.7 million in that time. So going into that summer we will have 20 million dollars in cap space, what will we do?

-Replace Rozi with Ryan Suter(6 cap hit), Brent Burns (contingent on concussion issues), or Johnny Oduya (3.5-4)

-Let Werek take Drury's spot as 3rd/4th line center (ELC)

-Byers can fill avery's roll for a small price, or we can re-sign avery for cheap because there won't be much of a market for him.

-By this time Stepan/Anisimov will be able to competantly fill Christensens roll playing with gaborik.

-Resign Prust give him a raise, if he turns out to develop into a 3rd liner (1.5 cap hit)

-See how MZA progresses and determine whether we want him back or not.

-Biron maybe re-sign 1 year deal.

and that leaves us with over 12 million still to mess around with. Sucks that it's a terrible UFA year. and we are being set up for dumb signings. This is why I think we will definitely get Suter unless he's resigned because he'll be the premiere fa that off-season.

Dubi-Stepan-Gaborik
Grachev-Anisimov- Krieder
Avery-Werek- Callahan
Boogaard-4th line center-Prust

Staal-Girardi
Suter-MDZ
Mcdonaugh-?

tremendous defense but the offense will be very sketchy

-MDZ plays left side.

-Dubi will be long gone IMO

-Suter is intriguing. Whether or not we go after him really depends on how our defensemen develop over the next two year (We may not need him, especially at 6 mill per a year, but we'll see)

- You know what makes those lines look better? A top line center. Richards in 2011 or bust!

nyr2417 07-24-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanRanger (Post 27074252)
-MDZ plays left side.

-Dubi will be long gone IMO

-Suter is intriguing. Whether or not we go after him really depends on how our defensemen develop over the next two year (We may not need him, especially at 6 mill per a year, but we'll see)

- You know what makes those lines look better? A top line center. Richards in 2011 or bust!

lets not nit pick here you know what I meant. Dubi will not be gone if we didn't trade him for Heatly he's not going anywhere. I agree with your last two points especially the one about Richards.

Sunshine 07-24-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 27074225)
Certainly it's fun to speculate

I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but is it really though? IMO, it becomes fantasy sports more or less

t3hg00se 07-24-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 27074073)
I have said many times before, as long as we do not **** up, that summer will be the beginning of a couple year period of Ranger competition. We have 2 years of Lundqvist and Gaborik after Drury and Rozy expire.

Many of our top prospects will be ready in 2 years, if they do not bust.

Cally and Dubinsky will be prime.

However at that point Gaborik will be 30, and probably not able to handle the offensive load entirely himself.

Gaborik will be one of those special players like St. Louis who just don't slow down. The entire Rangers brass thinks so, when they signed him, they were immediately shocked by the lack of wear and tear on his body. As long as his injury history doesn't show up again, it's only been a positive for us.

nyr2417 07-24-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hg00se (Post 27074313)
Gaborik will be one of those special players like St. Louis who just don't slow down. The entire Rangers brass thinks so, when they signed him, they were immediately shocked by the lack of wear and tear on his body. As long as his injury history doesn't show up again, it's only been a positive for us.

Gaborik missing time due to his groin (which is now supposedly 100% fine due to his surgery) means that he endured less physical damage to his body than most players in the nhl. I could see him being a 40+ goal scorer until he's 34-35.

broadwayblue 07-24-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshine (Post 27074283)
I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but is it really though? IMO, it becomes fantasy sports more or less

Well, without speculation these forums are pretty much a ghost town, right? I did state that imo it's pretty far off to be thinking about what (specific) moves this team will make 2 summers from now. But to say we can't talk about it is a bit over the top, no?

jniklast 07-24-2010 10:30 AM

It's probably too far away to reasonably project the lineup, but it's nice to speculate.

The CBA runs out after next season, so first of all I hope there will be hockey at all, and not another lockout. Then there's the question with the cap, the owners don't want it to rise forever, but the players aren't gonna be happy to give up a part of their share of revenue.

As for the actual lineup, we're not even quite thorugh this offseason, Sather might make more moves, and then next offseason there could be a few attractive FAs on the market. I really hope Sather doesn't eff up, because I agree, if we can become a contender in the forseeable future, then our best chances are for 3-4 years starting in 2012. Afterwards Lundqvist might decline, and Gaborik will be well beyond 30. And they are two pieces that aren't easy to replace.

t3hg00se 07-24-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2417 (Post 27074346)
Gaborik missing time due to his groin (which is now supposedly 100% fine due to his surgery) means that he endured less physical damage to his body than most players in the nhl. I could see him being a 40+ goal scorer until he's 34-35.


Yep, that's what I was saying :)

Gaborik should remain a terrific signing if his first year here is any inclination of what's to come.

Beacon 07-24-2010 11:12 AM

Ummmm... what?! We are predicting our moves 2 years from now, not know who'll get injured, which star player will crash and will garbage player will blossom?

Stugots 07-24-2010 12:32 PM

Looking forward to cap space two summers from now... who are we the Knicks?!?!? :laugh:

free0717 07-24-2010 01:24 PM

in 2012 Rozy, Drury and Avery will be off the books, Christenson and others will also be off the books. My idea is to save cap space, if we need guys like Christenson and Prust et al, we bring em back but dont go on a spending spree. Hopefully with a new CBA we will get free buyouts and Redden and Booguard are gone.

2013 Sid is a UFA. Save the space and go for Sid.

BrandNewDream 07-24-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717 (Post 27076487)
in 2012 Rozy, Drury and Avery will be off the books, Christenson and others will also be off the books. My idea is to save cap space, if we need guys like Christenson and Prust et al, we bring em back but dont go on a spending spree. Hopefully with a new CBA we will get free buyouts and Redden and Booguard are gone.

2013 Sid is a UFA. Save the space and go for Sid.

Sid will NEVER make UFA.

But if he does, trade whoever you have to and offer a max deal.

free0717 07-24-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandNewDream (Post 27076567)
Sid will NEVER make UFA.

But if he does, trade whoever you have to and offer a max deal.

You dont know that. Plan to go after Crosby in three years.

BrandNewDream 07-24-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717 (Post 27078189)
You dont know that. Plan to go after Crosby in three years.

I don't know that, but I'd certainly think that he won't. I definitely think he'll be like Mario, Stevie Y, Sakic, etc. and stick with the Pens his whole career.

CM Lundqvist 07-24-2010 05:05 PM

Ryan Suter at 6 million a year?!? He's good, but not THAT good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugots (Post 27075888)
Looking forward to cap space two summers from now...

Looks like we're already thinking of ways to blow it all way too...

Quote:

who are we the Knicks?!?!? :laugh:
LOL.

Carmelo Anthony in 2011!

n8 07-24-2010 05:34 PM

save all that cap space for the 2013 UFA class.

Crosby
Iginla
Getzlaf
Perry
Horton
Roy
J. Staal
Whitney
Zajac
Enstrom
Clowe
Edler
Weiss

so many to choose from.

Rodent 07-24-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 27079400)
save all that cap space for the 2013 UFA class.

Crosby
Iginla
Getzlaf
Perry
Horton
Roy
J. Staal
Whitney
Zajac
Enstrom
Clowe
Edler
Weiss

so many to choose from.

Clearly, there will be others who are due for UFA that summer who don't appear on your list because you have filtered them out. So I conclude you're attracted to the opportunity to sign Jarome in three years to the point he is second on your list.

Seriously? 36-Y/O Iginla?

A lockout would save us.

Rodent 07-24-2010 06:50 PM

Not for nothin, Nate. But which "Whitney" is on your list? Are you talking Ray Whitney who will be 41 that year?

dtrap 07-25-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getty images (Post 27074164)
IMO we need neal or someone else.

When the hell did James Neal become the shiny new toy around here?!

I swear this crap changes every week. It's always a different guy.

dtrap 07-25-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 27079400)
save all that cap space for the 2013 UFA class.

Crosby
Iginla
Getzlaf
Perry
Horton
Roy
J. Staal
Whitney
Zajac
Enstrom
Clowe
Edler
Weiss

so many to choose from.

This plan worked out so well for the Knicks...

how about we worry about the 2010-2011 Regular season and maybe even the 2011 offseason and 2011-2012 regular season before we worry about who we are going to sign two years from now...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.