HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Losing weight playing hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=802682)

pucko 07-24-2010 02:27 PM

Losing weight playing hockey

I've found some discussions on this board not necessarily related to each other: how to lose weight in general, what to work on to gain hockey specific strength, how to build muscle, etc, etc.

But I am mostly curious about this specific problem: how to lose weight WHILE also playing hockey actively. My biggest concern is the energy demands are huge and one has to eat a lot of carbs before and after games, etc. So a typical person who has ever been on a diet would be horrified to learn that he needs to eat a bunch muffins, bagels, or candy bars late at night after a late game!

Before I started playing hockey, I had been losing weight quite successfully. I've lost about 30 pounds in a year just doing some light to moderate cardio 2-3 times a week, some weight lifting, and most importantly I had been extremely cautious about my eating habits. I wasn't too scientific about that. I just tried to eat much less and that worked wonders. That's right, eating less seemed to make a lot more difference than working out harder.

But after I started playing hockey, I also had to start eating again. You know, those hearty, slow carb meals 2-3 hours before a game followed by late night snacks. As a result, I stopped losing weight and even gained some DESPITE the fact that I have been working out a lot harder than before (or so I think). Well, I skate three-four times a week including two games a week, and do a little bit of weight lifting. That's all I do know.

So I figured I'd try the same thing that worked for me in the past: eating less again. I started to skip breakfasts (bad, I know) and eat very light lunches and some late afternoon snacks (an apple or yogurt), and light dinners including on game nights. I also minimized late night post game snacks. And no eating whatsoever after 7-8pm the days I don't skate. Also been drinking lots of water (well, primarily to quench hunger, which sounds bad).

And sure enough, that made an almost immediate difference and I started losing weight again.

But two weeks later weird things started to happen: I feel extremely fatigued the minute I step on the ice. Yesterday I went to a stick a puck session and I thought I was going to pass out. I had a hunger attack as never before so I left early...

I know that in theory it is supposed be a simple math: how much calories you intake and how much you burn... But I just can't find the right balance. I wonder if the anaerobic nature of hockey has something to do with that.

I did some research on this, and now I wonder if I have just been starving myself lately slowing down my metabolism and losing muscle tissue instead of fat.

But those "post game" cookies... Bad, bad.

Is it even possible for overweight people to lose weight playing hockey? Any thoughts?

Cowbell232 07-24-2010 02:37 PM

Like you said, it's all in a balance. You still need to eat balanced meals, through out the day too.

Instead of carb loading though before games, try to have a slice of bread or two and something high in protein.

I'm not expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but the anaerobic nature of hockey causes your body to burn it's fat reserves naturally. By carb-loading, you're not going to allow your body to get to that point during a game. You definitely need to eat enough to have energy for your games, and just general living. You need to eat until your not hungry, and stop.

The best thing after games for me isn't carbs at all, but fruits. High natural sugars. Even a glass of orange juice after a game will make me not hungry anymore. Bananas, apples, and other fruits like melons work really well too.

NOT eating is possibly the worst thing you can do.

PuckHogs29 07-24-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 27077337)
Like you said, it's all in a balance. You still need to eat balanced meals, through out the day too.

Instead of carb loading though before games, try to have a slice of bread or two and something high in protein.

I'm not expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but the anaerobic nature of hockey causes your body to burn it's fat reserves naturally. By carb-loading, you're not going to allow your body to get to that point during a game. You definitely need to eat enough to have energy for your games, and just general living. You need to eat until your not hungry, and stop.

The best thing after games for me isn't carbs at all, but fruits. High natural sugars. Even a glass of orange juice after a game will make me not hungry anymore. Bananas, apples, and other fruits like melons work really well too.

NOT eating is possibly the worst thing you can do.

You took the words out of my mouth. After a game, especially a late one it's a protein shake and a banana for me. That's just my personal favorite.

It seems like the OP is under the impression you need to load up on carbs like you're running a marathon on game night and it's just not the case. Something as small as a baked potato or a sweet potato will give you enough energy to play a mens league game. You don't need to eat pancakes for breakfast, a bagel for lunch and spaghetti for dinner. One of my favorite pre-cardio snacks is a piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter. On a game day I'll eat either a piece of chicken or fish with either a potato or brown rice about for dinner then depending what time the game is, have a piece of fruit or the PB on whole grain bread.

It's all about eating the right things at the right time, and skipping breakfast is a definite no no.

Kyle2123 07-24-2010 02:49 PM

Losing weight by starving yourself is never a good idea. You should check out the Abs Diet (its a book by the people that do Mens Health mag, find it on Amazon), basically instead of counting calories, carbs, etc., it tells you to eat 6 times a day, but eat foods that are good for you. I tried this like a year ago and it really does work. At first you'll be eating so much you won't even be hungry but you'll be eating anyway. After a few weeks your body gets used to eating and your metabolism really cranks up. You lose weight but still have all of the energy you need. I've done that thing before like you are talking about -- skip breakfast, eating a bunch of salad and stuff like that, basically going hungry all day long, and trust me, this is way better and healthier to do.

noobman 07-24-2010 02:51 PM

For many people, it's more important to find something fun that you can stick with that going after the most efficient fat-burning method.

Fortunately, skating (as it pertains to hockey) is actually an effective fat-burner if coupled with the right diet. Given the nature of the sport though, it's imperative that you eat properly.

A sport like hockey requires a decent amount of carbohydrates and protein in the diet. Your body needs those carbs as fuel to keep those leg muscles of yours going, and it needs the protein to repair the tissue. Since fat loss is your goal... remember that you don't have to go eat fatty meat products to get that protein. Beans, legumes, and some whey protein isolate supplements are all good ways to ingest protein while reducing fat intake.

What's really killing you is the lack of breakfast. Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day and is essential to kickstart your metabolism. Also, remember that calories ingested in the morning give you the whole day to burn them off. If you go eat a big dinner, you're leaving yourself with far less time to expend this energy. Have you ever wondered why breakfast items are almost always high carb/high calorie selections (eggs, sausage, toast, bacon, cereal, pancakes, waffles, etc etc)?

It's been proven that people who eat more for breakfast will wind up eating less throughout the day.

The water thing is a good idea when you do it right, but you are most certainly doing it wrong. When you are hungry you need to eat. If you do not eat, your body will go into conservation mode. Your energy level will drop, your metabolism will slow itself down, and if you do this for too long your body will start burning its own muscle tissue for fuel. Sometimes, however, people are just thirsty/dehydrated, and they mistake this thirst for hunger and eat. Thus, it is important to drink water consistently throughout the day so that your body is never dehydrated. By the time you physically feel thirsty, it is already too late.

My advice to you is to eat MORE, but to also eat smarter. Think of breakfast as the cornerstone meal that provides your body with the energy to make it through the day. Every other meal you eat is just a quick little boost to keep you going.

pucko 07-24-2010 02:54 PM

Yes, it is my impression that, simply put, you store energy (carbs) before the game and then use up this energy during the game and then replenish it with post game snacks. Which leads me to believe that it is hard or impossible to burn fat this way. But If I cannot burn fat, I cannot lose weight even if I played 7 days a week. So answering my own question, I can come to a conclusion that it is not possible to lose weight JUST playing hockey. Maybe I am wrong. I just read different sources and I am always confused about those things.

PuckHogs29 07-24-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pucko (Post 27077524)
Yes, it is my impression that, simply put, you store energy (carbs) before the game and then use up this energy during the game and then replenish it with post game snacks. Which leads me to believe that it is hard or impossible to burn fat this way. But If I cannot burn fat, I cannot lose weight even if I played 7 days a week. So answering my own question, I can come to a conclusion that it is not possible to lose weight JUST playing hockey. Maybe I am wrong. I just read different sources and I am always confused about those things.

You don't need to replenish any of that right after the game. You grab something small, fruit, a protein shake etc and you eat a normal breakfast in the morning and you're good to go. You don't need to sit down and have a plate of spaghetti, chicken and a salad right before bed just because you played hockey.

noobman 07-24-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

It's possible, but not extremely efficient.

Remember that your body is also burning calories throughout the day. Muscles require calories to keep going. If you add muscle, you are naturally burning more calories.... even just by sitting around.

What might be very effective for a guy like yourself is 2-3 days a week of weightlifting. Think of hockey as just the cardio aspect to your regiment.

pucko 07-24-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 27077490)
For many people, it's more important to find something fun that you can stick with that going after the most efficient fat-burning method.

Fortunately, skating (as it pertains to hockey) is actually an effective fat-burner if coupled with the right diet.

So what exactly is the fat burning mechanism when playing hockey? I thought that to burn fat one has to work out in the aerobic zone within 70-80% of the maximum heart rate. But the short bouts of high intensity exercise tend to use ATP/glucose as an immediate energy source. So if I "fuel up" my body with carbs before the game and then use up that fuel during the game, how am I going to burn fat and lose weight? Conversely, I won't be able to keep up with the fast paced game if I don't store energy before the game, mostly in the form of carbs...

noobman 07-24-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pucko (Post 27077726)
So what exactly is the fat burning mechanism when playing hockey? I thought that to burn fat one has to work out in the aerobic zone within 70-80% of the maximum heart rate. But the short bouts of high intensity exercise tend to use ATP/glucose as an immediate energy source. So if I "fuel up" my body with carbs before the game and then use up that fuel during the game, how am I going to burn fat and lose weight? Conversely, I won't be able to keep up with the fast paced game if I don't store energy before the game, mostly in the form of carbs...

It's not quite that black and white.

Exercising in the aerobic zone doesn't exclusively burn fat, and training in short, high intensity bursts doesn't burn absolutely zero fat.

Aerobic activity burns a higher percentage of fat than high intensity training, but the difference is not nearly as much as you think. Higher intensity activities burn more calories in less time, thus burning more fat. Higher intensity activity also keeps your metabolism higher over a longer period of time, while lower intensity activity restores your metabolism to base levels once you've finished. Higher intensity activities can promote growth and additional muscle mass (find a hockey player who doesn't have strong legs!) while lower intensity activities do not, since you are not really taxing your muscles enough to promote growth.

Low intensity exercise is nice because it's easy and it's safe..

pucko 07-24-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 27077592)
Think of hockey as just the cardio aspect to your regiment.

And that's what I can't quite figure out. Cardio to me means strictly aerobic exercise. Surely the high level of aerobic fitness is necessary for a hockey player. But I believe the reason why it is necessary is it allows to RECOVER between the shifts quicker. But I think that during the game one is rarely if ever skating in the "aerobic zone".

So while the aerobic fitness is an import part component of hockey specific conditioning, I can't think of the GAME ITSELF as an aerobic activity that would make it possible to burn fat and lose weight.

Further, what confuses me even further, it sounds that one doesn't necessary burn fat even when doing some aerobic exercises. For example, interval training could be done in both aerobic and anaerobic zones, depending on the work to rest ratio. But based on what I read, both of those types of workouts are about endurance (aerobic and anaerobic respectively) not fat burning.

Where am I wrong?

pucko 07-24-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 27077793)
It's not quite that black and white.

Exercising in the aerobic zone doesn't exclusively burn fat, and training in short, high intensity bursts doesn't burn absolutely zero fat.

Aerobic activity burns a higher percentage of fat than high intensity training, but the difference is not nearly as much as you think. Higher intensity activities burn more calories in less time, thus burning more fat. Higher intensity activity also keeps your metabolism higher over a longer period of time, while lower intensity activity restores your metabolism to base levels once you've finished. Higher intensity activities can promote growth and additional muscle mass (find a hockey player who doesn't have strong legs!) while lower intensity activities do not, since you are not really taxing your muscles enough to promote growth.

Low intensity exercise is nice because it's easy and it's safe..

Sorry, I didn't see this answer as I was typing my next post. So you are already addressing some of the questions I asked in a later post.

Little Nilan 07-24-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pucko (Post 27077207)
I've found some discussions on this board not necessarily related to each other: how to lose weight in general, what to work on to gain hockey specific strength, how to build muscle, etc, etc.

But I am mostly curious about this specific problem: how to lose weight WHILE also playing hockey actively. My biggest concern is the energy demands are huge and one has to eat a lot of carbs before and after games, etc. So a typical person who has ever been on a diet would be horrified to learn that he needs to eat a bunch muffins, bagels, or candy bars late at night after a late game!

That's not accurate at all. You shouldn't be eating any of those things late at night after a late game. Who told you this? Like you said, the energy demands are huge and actually it should be tough to maintain your weight during a season. If not, you're overreating by quite a bit and most likely of the wrong foods. By that list, that seems to be pretty clear. If you really want fast acting carbs after your game, drink 20gs of whey and 40-50 gs of dextrose. But even then, I would simply go for a normal meal of lean beef + high fiber carbs/fruits. Muffins and candy bars are literally the worst idea I've read.

Quote:

Before I started playing hockey, I had been losing weight quite successfully. I've lost about 30 pounds in a year just doing some light to moderate cardio 2-3 times a week, some weight lifting, and most importantly I had been extremely cautious about my eating habits. I wasn't too scientific about that. I just tried to eat much less and that worked wonders. That's right, eating less seemed to make a lot more difference than working out harder.

Yes, a caloric deficit + some physical activity will do that.

Quote:

But after I started playing hockey, I also had to start eating again. You know, those hearty, slow carb meals 2-3 hours before a game followed by late night snacks. As a result, I stopped losing weight and even gained some DESPITE the fact that I have been working out a lot harder than before (or so I think). Well, I skate three-four times a week including two games a week, and do a little bit of weight lifting. That's all I do know.

Are you sure your weight gain is fat? If it is, you're just eating too much, you just need to drop all that late night crap.

Quote:

So I figured I'd try the same thing that worked for me in the past: eating less again. I started to skip breakfasts (bad, I know) and eat very light lunches and some late afternoon snacks (an apple or yogurt), and light dinners including on game nights. I also minimized late night post game snacks. And no eating whatsoever after 7-8pm the days I don't skate. Also been drinking lots of water (well, primarily to quench hunger, which sounds bad).

Skipping breakfast is an exceptionally terrible idea. Your diet is actually ridiculous considering you weightlift, skate for hours and have games. This means you're most likely spending near 4000 calories while eating 2000 calories, this is absurd. Everything you are doing, everything you wrote in your post is completly absurd. Your eating habits are bad, you're training way too much, eating way too little, fasting at the worst times and fasting for nearly 15 hours every non-game day. Think about it. You're not eating breakfast and you stop eating at 7pm. If you skip breakfast and eat at 9, that means you went 14 hours with no food while doing some sort of activity almost every day. When you are eating, you're eating too light.

Quote:

And sure enough, that made an almost immediate difference and I started losing weight again.

But two weeks later weird things started to happen: I feel extremely fatigued the minute I step on the ice. Yesterday I went to a stick a puck session and I thought I was going to pass out. I had a hunger attack as never before so I left early...

You are overstraining your system (not overtraining, that is a rare condition), you're trying to race a ferrari on an F1 circuit with an empty and rusty gas tank.

Quote:

I know that in theory it is supposed be a simple math: how much calories you intake and how much you burn... But I just can't find the right balance. I wonder if the anaerobic nature of hockey has something to do with that.

Make a base diet. Go up in calories until you feel good and you see changes in body composition every 2 weeks. Drop the candy and muffins. Start eating breakfast, which should actually be your biggest meal of the day. Stop fasting before going to sleep, this is counterproductive.

Quote:

I did some research on this, and now I wonder if I have just been starving myself lately slowing down my metabolism and losing muscle tissue instead of fat.

But those "post game" cookies... Bad, bad.

Is it even possible for overweight people to lose weight playing hockey? Any thoughts?

You clearly know you've done everything wrong. Why are you even asking this question also knowing that hockey players are amongst the leanest athletes in any sport?

Little Nilan 07-24-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

You are wrong. You're misunderstanding the way your body uses energy. If you're exercising, you will have say a 4000 calorie energy expenditure. If you're consuming 3500 calories, your body will have to find it somewhere. If you were eating properly, this would be mainly as fat. Now, there are other factors, the thermic demands of digesting food, your metabolism, your activity level. Obviously, if you overstrain an energy system, your body will stop prioritizing muscle, start eating up on it and your energy levels will drop drastically (how can your body go on eating 2000 calories when needing 4000?). You're most likely full of cortisol lol, stop stressing your body so much, or fuel it the right way.

Hockey is actually one of the best sports to lose weight.

ponder 07-24-2010 03:55 PM

In general just eat healthy, smallish portions. Don't skip breakfast, or any meals, but stick to light and healthy meals in general (things like eggs and fruit are good breakfast options, for example). Keep lunches and dinners fairly light as well. I generally think the most natural, healthy diet is high on fruits, vegetables and meat, with minimal carbs and dairy and very little refined sugars and fats/sauces. Assuming you are playing late night games, I would pretty much just cut out the post-game snacks entirely (maybe a little fruit), and a couple hours before a game it's fine to have some carbs (a smallish portion of pasta and a medium sized salad with some chicken breast is an excellent meal for 2-3 hours before a game). Definitely avoid things like pizza and candy. Eggs, chicken, and lean meats in general have far less calories than most realize, it's the cheese and bread and sugar that really kill you. By eating smart you should be able to lose weight without starving yourself to the point that you feel weak/nauseous while exercising.

pucko 07-24-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 27077490)
When you are hungry you need to eat.

My biggest problem is that I have late night food cravings. I thought that only those fat couch potatoes have those type of problems. But I've been very active for many years. Perhaps I have food cravings for different reasons. Maybe I just don't eat enough during the day... But it is frustrating when I have a hunger attack a couple of hours after eating a normal dinner. So I continue munching. And then one of those days I finally decide to put an end to this nonsense and just go cold turkey and then I don't know where to draw the line. I used to get away with those instinctive unscientific approaches in the past since it sort of worked without much suffering. Not anymore since I started to play hockey.

[/QUOTE]

ponder 07-24-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pucko (Post 27078232)
My biggest problem is that I have late night food cravings. I thought that only those fat couch potatoes have those type of problems. But I've been very active for many years. Perhaps I have food cravings for different reasons. Maybe I just don't eat enough during the day... But it is frustrating when I have a hunger attack a couple of hours after eating a normal dinner. So I continue munching. And then one of those days I finally decide to put an end to this nonsense and just go cold turkey and then I don't know where to draw the line. I used to get away with those instinctive unscientific approaches in the past since it sort of worked without much suffering. Not anymore since I started to play hockey.

The late night eating is basically pointless, you're more or less done using energy for the day, you don't need food at 11 pm. But don't go overboard and cut other meals, stick to 3 meals a day, just make them healthy meals and reasonable portions. Lots of eggs, chicken, lean beef, vegetables and fruit, minimal dairy (stay away from cheese) and carbs, virtually no refined sugars and fats. I generally like to think that for most of our evolutionary history we've been hunter/gatherers, it's a hunter/gatherer, not an agricultural diet that our bodies are adapted for, so eating like a hunter gatherer (meat/fruits/veg) is the most natural and healthy way to go. If you eat a healthy diet, with 3 meals a day, and stay away from late night snacks for long enough, your body should adapt and your late night cravings should mostly go away.

noobman 07-24-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Yeah I eat like a pig late at night from time to time too.

What you should try doing is eating more during the day. Have a bigger breakfast (Yes, you heard me) while keeping your other meal sizes the same. Try brushing your teeth about two hours before you go to bed as well. For whatever reason, I can't eat after brushing my teeth for the night.... unless I'm starving.

Jarick 07-24-2010 10:37 PM

For me personally, the most effective weight loss method has been to quit drinking and to eat a low carb diet. Unfortunately, both are hard to follow so I tend to just stay about the same weight!

Last year I weighed about 190 pounds and cut about 15 following Atkins. I literally had 25 or fewer grams of carbs and played just fine. I did have a bit more carbs after games to refill glycogen but otherwise I was great.

A lot of people have the mentality that you should get in shape to play hockey, not play hockey to get in shape. That may be true if you are at risk for heart disease or have other concerns...but personally I think you should play to control your weight, and hockey is playing. Adults need to play just like kids.

All that said, I have about 20-25 pounds to lose, hopefully a big chunk in time for winter league, and I just started jumping rope to "train". Boxers do it to condition their cardio system as well as stay lean, and I have bad knees so I can't jog or run. It's a real ass kicker, I'll tell you that.

Anyways, I re-read your post...I've met several guys who've lost 100 pounds playing hockey. It's 90% diet, I'll tell you that. If you haven't, give the Atkins a shot...there's a new Atkins book out that's a little more lenient but also stresses the importance of electrolytes. Having some chicken broth or a bit of salt before playing might help avoid feeling light headed.

Personally, I like a big breakfast with lots of protein and fat...bacon, eggs, cheese, etc. I try and get some veggies in there too. For lunch, I have the biggest salad I can stand eating because it's filling and fiber is great. Tons of fresh lettuce (buy a salad spinner and cut up your own), topped with chicken, and fatty salad dressing with some cheese. Fat is satiating and reduces your appetite while protein and veggies fill you up and give you energy. Before I leave for the game, I have a banana and some water. Afterwards, I have a balanced meal with protein and carbs.

Lastly, a good saying I've remembered is that veggies make you full, bread makes you hungry. Most high carb foods stimulate the appetite and create a cycle of snacking and hunger that causes you to overeat, while natural carb foods like veggies and fruit (in moderation) are amazing for your body.

That's my twenty cents. And if I could quit drinking and had the money to spend on tons of fresh veggies I'd probably be a lot more cut, but hopefully the jumping rope helps me out.

How far are you from your goal weight?

pucko 07-25-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27082453)

Last year I weighed about 190 pounds and cut about 15 following Atkins. I literally had 25 or fewer grams of carbs and played just fine.

Wow! Hockey and Atkins... Seems so counterintuitive... No or minimum carbs, lots of protein and fat? I don't know.

How you been able to maintain your weight loss long term?

Quote:

A lot of people have the mentality that you should get in shape to play hockey, not play hockey to get in shape.
Umm, I don't think the exact mentality matters. I try not to over analyze this. It is actually quite simple. I love playing hockey and I also try to lose body fat.

Quote:

How far are you from your goal weight?

I am currently 195 and my goal is about 180.

GCM 07-25-2010 12:06 AM

Is it at all possible that the weight you gained was muscle being formed from playing hockey?

pucko 07-25-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCM (Post 27083263)
Is it at all possible that the weight you gained was muscle being formed from playing hockey?

Yes, I thought about that. Doing hockey and weight training, I've developed pretty strong legs. I wasn't really paying attention until one day I flexed those quads and I was like wow look at all those bumps and ridges, never had those heh. Well, I realize that muscle is heavier that fat. I just don't know how to quantify that. Also, it is not just the weight, it is appearance too. If you still have pretty noticeable belly fat/love handles then no matter how you explain the numbers you still know it is not quite working.

PuckHogs29 07-25-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pucko (Post 27085960)
Yes, I thought about that. Doing hockey and weight training, I've developed pretty strong legs. I wasn't really paying attention until one day I flexed those quads and I was like wow look at all those bumps and ridges, never had those heh. Well, I realize that muscle is heavier that fat. I just don't know how to quantify that. Also, it is not just the weight, it is appearance too. If you still have pretty noticeable belly fat/love handles then no matter how you explain the numbers you still know it is not quite working.

Simple way: get yourself one of those body fat measuring tapes. If you're losing weight your waist is gonna get thinner. The more effective and accurate method is to get body fat calipers, and track it that way. You can find those things on any site that sells fitness products, my favorite is bodybuilding.com. I go to them for pretty much everything I need. However if you don't want to pay shipping on a pretty cheap item, you'll find that stuff at most health and fitness type stores too.

There are days where the scale may not change, but the inches will.

BadHammy* 07-25-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 (Post 27077576)
You don't need to replenish any of that right after the game. You grab something small, fruit, a protein shake etc and you eat a normal breakfast in the morning and you're good to go. You don't need to sit down and have a plate of spaghetti, chicken and a salad right before bed just because you played hockey.

I have to say, that's bad advice. You need to have a full, well-rounded meal after a game if at all possible.

izzy3 07-26-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

food craving = your insulin level crashes

insulin level crashes if you ate something very rich of carbs but without protein. any combination of carbs (carbs only, carbs with fat) will shoot your insulin into the sky, and it comes crashing down in 2 hours. your body trying to recover it will signal you to put in some more carbs.

try to eat carbs with protein (50/50 ratio). that why atkins work, because there are no insulin surges. fat with protein or fat alone will not kick your insulin in the stratosphere.