HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=803481)

Hawker14 07-26-2010 08:48 PM

Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...l-trouble.html

Sat on this for 22 minutes before I blurted.

Mod: Link to last thread.

NODLR 07-26-2010 08:50 PM

*gasp* Well my stars, I do declare I gots me a case of the vapours :sarcasm:

Cue the denial from IE's PR firm....Twitter.

Fugu 07-26-2010 09:03 PM

Okay, we're back in business.

Hawker14 07-26-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

At the deadline, Glendale said Ice Edge had submitted "some of the required financial information." City officials declined public records requests for more detail.

But on Monday, city spokeswoman Julie Frisoni revealed that Ice Edge has failed to submit some of the required documents, five weeks past the deadline. She would not elaborate on the missing files.

Though the deadline for exclusivity is gone, Frisoni said, the city can still negotiate with Ice Edge.
- Arizona Republic

WJG 07-26-2010 09:23 PM

^To add to that,

Quote:

But the clock is ticking. The tentative agreement between Glendale and Ice Edge aimed to conclude negotiations Aug. 6.

"We have a very tight timeline to make the deal," Frisoni said.
Why exactly is the timeline tight? Don't they have until December 31st to complete the deal?

Jeffrey93 07-26-2010 09:30 PM

Daly's response is typical.

That guy really makes it hard to know if I came across both him and Bettman on the street...which one I'd smack first.

Dado 07-26-2010 09:30 PM

Considering they've been working on a deal for at least a year and are still out to sea, being down to their last six months must feel like quite a tight timeline.

Unless they're talking about something else entirely and the team is "days" away from relocating *this* summer....

Fugu 07-26-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Running Riot (Post 27110359)
^To add to that,

Why exactly is the timeline tight? Don't they have until December 31st to complete the deal?

Maybe Glendale doesn't really want to spend that money that's in the escrow account with the NHL. I always viewed that as them buying time if they felt the sale would close by a certain date. If that appears to be unachievable, do they have other options (or would the NHL act sooner than later)?

Rabbit 07-26-2010 09:39 PM

this is gross.

I'm almost tired of looking at my favorite team's name.

Killion 07-26-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 27110501)
Maybe Glendale doesn't really want to spend that money that's in the escrow account with the NHL. I always viewed that as them buying time if they felt the sale would close by a certain date. If that appears to be unachievable, do they have other options (or would the NHL act sooner than later)?

"Sigh". Remember that one, start of "Part XVIIIIIIII" Fugu?. You nailed it back then & here we go again!.

Move "sooner" after Glendale escrowed the $25M & the league agreed to a December 31st Deadline?. I just cant see that happening.

Killion 07-26-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnatibaH (Post 27109832)
*gasp* Well my stars, I do declare I gots me a case of the vapours :sarcasm:

"Vapours" Habitant?. Only cure is to move to a dry, hot & arid climate, say, Phoenix or Glendale. You game?. :nod:

danishh 07-26-2010 10:04 PM

this isnt even interesting anymore... it's just sad.

sharksfansd 07-26-2010 10:04 PM

I am a full supporter of the Coyotes staying in AZ, but get it together Glendale. You either want the team or don't. Simple statement, yes. Tired of all the drama, absolutely.

vivianmb 07-26-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 27111152)
this isnt even interesting anymore... it's just sad.

agreed. but hoping for a good finish.

Wham City 07-26-2010 10:28 PM

Daryll Jones should stick to his bread and butter on Twitter, mascot humor.

Whileee 07-26-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan (Post 27109788)
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...l-trouble.html

Sat on this for 22 minutes before I blurted.

This seems like fairly important news. So it now seems that IEH actually never did meet the conditions for exclusivity, and seem to be at odds with Glendale over financial details. I would not characterize the NHL as "denying" this based on the Daly's comments. He is quoted as saying that it is "news to him". It would seem that doubts about IEH as a potential ownership group for the Coyotes have been well-founded.

Whileee 07-26-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Running Riot (Post 27110359)
^To add to that,

The timeline is very tight because there are a lot of negotiations required for any new ownership group. Besides, I think that Glendale city council will do any and everything to avoid the nightmare scenario... spending $25 million on a lame-duck season. If they can't get an owner to keep the team, they will be trying to work something out with the NHL vis-a-vis relocation that will minimize their expenses.

kdb209 07-26-2010 10:41 PM

Mods - any chance of merging this in with / reopening the last chapter:

Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input

Or at least renaming this thread:

- Part X
- Part IX S (9 1/2)
- Part IX S .... (9 5/6ths - since the last one went only to 847 posts ~= 5/6ths of 1000 - Roman numeral fractions are based on 1/12ths).

God knows why I know / remember Roman Numeral fractions.

ps241 07-26-2010 10:48 PM

this would explain why things have been so silent.......am curious about the comments by Frisoni and why she would go public with this statement....what is the strategy?

This is the first i had heard about the internal deadline of getting the deal done by August 6th.....does this date ring a bell to anyone on this site.....i have been away for awhile so forgive me if i missed something that has been discussed?

Fugu 07-26-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 27112019)
Mods - any chance of merging this in with / reopening the last chapter:

Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input

Or at least renaming this thread:

- Part X
- Part IX S (9 1/2)
- Part IX S .... (9 5/6ths - since the last one went only to 847 posts ~= 5/6ths of 1000 - Roman numeral fractions are based on 1/12ths).

God knows why I know / remember Roman Numeral fractions.

I'd prefer a new thread and let that last abomination disappear.

It's just too late get creative with a thread name (one of your demands when the last one was started).

ATHF 07-26-2010 11:30 PM

Show of hands...who didn't see this coming a mile away? These guys have made virtually every mistake that they could have made from day one, so it's not at all surprising that they did something similar in this instance by not providing the city with proper documentation of their financial information...

This has been an absolute gong show from day one and it's rather telling when people from both sides of the debate are feeling like they don't care anymore about what's going on and they just want it to be over. That being said, this seems like it's getting nearer to a conclusion and unfortunately for the Coyote fans it doesn't seem like it's going to be a good one unless there's a miracle tucked away somewhere...

peter sullivan 07-26-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ps241 (Post 27112167)
This is the first i had heard about the internal deadline of getting the deal done by August 6th.....does this date ring a bell to anyone on this site.....i have been away for awhile so forgive me if i missed something that has been discussed?

it is possibly the end of the exclusivity, which they never got but would have been a deadline of sorts had they gotten it...makes little sense why that is any kind of a deadline at this point though.

peter sullivan 07-26-2010 11:46 PM

so....IEH think they have provided proof of financing but glendale doesnt?.....wouldnt there be some kind of official document or even an e-mail or any kind of written acknowledgement that their submittal was accepted 6 weeks ago before negotiations proceeded?...werent the negotiations predecated on that?

if it was not acceptable have they been negotiating all this time without someone at the table saying...oh by the way you never passed that hurdle we required of you....or did they all just proceed without a word being said....or have they not been negotiating?

the quote from frisoni in that article is that without exclusivity, they CAN still negotiatiate with IEH....that doesnt say that they ARE negotiating with them....seems an important difference.

how can they not negotiate the terms of a lease before they buy the team...wouldnt all of their financing be based on what they can achieve in the lease agreement?...once they own the team glendale would have all the negotiating power because IEH would be unable to walk away and be forced into whatever lease glendale wanted.

to me daily's response is basically saying....leave me out of this.

my money says that glendale will be voting on yet another reinsdorf MOU within 8 weeks....do it for little joey in the coyotes jersey, lieberman.

Whileee 07-26-2010 11:49 PM

I noticed with interest that IEH's PR guy (Johnson) seems to be of the opinion that IEH has to first purchase the team from the NHL, and then negotiate a lease agreement with Glendale. Everything that any of the other principals have stated indicates that the process is the reverse; conclude negotiations with Glendale and then move on to negotiations for purchase with the NHL. Is IEH's PR firm really that clued out, or just trying to spin this? If the former, then that doesn't speak well for the PR firm. If the latter, then, it doesn't speak well for the PR firm either.

Actually, I think that there were strong signals from the NHL, and more recently Nealy, that IEH's situation was somewhat precarious. Bettman shied away from specifically mentioning IEH when updating the situation in early July, and more recently the Coyotes' COO (Nealy) mentioned that if IEH didn't come through other ownership groups were interested. Now, it would seem that hope might rest with either Reinsdorf's re-appearance or some new ownership group emerging. But time is getting short, and I would expect that the politicians are going to start getting nervous.

Whileee 07-26-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter sullivan (Post 27113207)
so....IEH think they have provided proof of financing but glendale doesnt?.....wouldnt there be some kind of official document or even an e-mail or some kind of aknowledgement that their submittal was accepted 6 weeks ago before negotiations proceeded?

if it was not acceptable have they been negotiating all this time without someone at the table saying...oh by the way you never passed that hurdle we required of you....or did they all just proceed without a word being said....or have they not been negotiating?

the quote is they CAN still negotiatiate with IEH....that doesnt say that they ARE negotiating with them....seems an important difference.

to me daily's response is basically saying....leave me out of this.

Glendale was quite clear when they received the financial materials from IEH that they considered them to be possibly incomplete, and not necessarily satisfactory. I am not sure what evidence folks saw to indicate that they had met the conditions and had been granted exclusivity. In that light, Daryl Jones' latest twittering quoting Gintonio as quoting IEH as denying that the deal is in trouble looks all the worse. He not only drew attention to IEH blowing smoke, but also sideswiped a media supporter in the bargain. About that PR firm...