HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Coaching advice and help getting started (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=803565)

BLBarmada 07-27-2010 02:30 AM

Coaching advice and help getting started

Hi guys I'm 16 and I'm interested in coaching a team this winter, I haven't taken a coaching course or anything but I plan on it. Can anyone give me any advice or tips ?

Canadiens1958 07-27-2010 08:44 AM

Coaching

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTLjunior (Post 27114382)
Hi guys I'm 16 and I'm interested in coaching a team this winter, I haven't taken a coaching course or anything but I plan on it. Can anyone give me any advice or tips ?

In Quebec you cannot coach youth hockey without passing approved certification courses. Applies to all - even former NHL players who were NHL assistant coaches could not get a waiver to coach their son's team.

To get started approach your nearest youth hockey association and explain your interests and qualities.

Can provide contact info for most Montreal region associations, via PM.

BLBarmada 07-27-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 (Post 27115740)
In Quebec you cannot coach youth hockey without passing approved certification courses. Applies to all - even former NHL players who were NHL assistant coaches could not get a waiver to coach their son's team.

To get started approach your nearest youth hockey association and explain your interests and qualities.

Can provide contact info for most Montreal region associations, via PM.

If you could send me that info it would be great, and I do know about the mandatory coaching course but I don't know the length of the course.

madmutter 07-27-2010 02:45 PM

If it is the same as Alberta - and I believe it is as Hockey Canada is the governing body - you will need to get Coach level 1, Speakout (an ethics course) and Safety (hockey specific first aid). If you are coaching initiation you will also need Intro to Coach. If you are coaching players who will be hitting (Peewee in AB but it's Bantam in QC I've heard) you will need to attend a hitting clinic. If the team is high level bantam or midget I believe it falls under the "competitive" stream instead of the "developmental" stream an then it's a different certification scheme altogether. I believe all these courses are one day affairs and the minor hockey association usually pays for them.

Here's a link for you, all that info is off the top of my head but I went through most of it last year.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...11/la_id/1.htm

BLBarmada 07-27-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmutter (Post 27122601)
If it is the same as Alberta - and I believe it is as Hockey Canada is the governing body - you will need to get Coach level 1, Speakout (an ethics course) and Safety (hockey specific first aid). If you are coaching initiation you will also need Intro to Coach. If you are coaching players who will be hitting (Peewee in AB but it's Bantam in QC I've heard) you will need to attend a hitting clinic. If the team is high level bantam or midget I believe it falls under the "competitive" stream instead of the "developmental" stream an then it's a different certification scheme altogether. I believe all these courses are one day affairs and the minor hockey association usually pays for them.

Here's a link for you, all that info is off the top of my head but I went through most of it last year.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...11/la_id/1.htm

Thanks alot man I appreciate it,I'm going to try to coach Peewee A in Quebec and I do one day want to coach Midget AAA and Juniors but that's a long way away.
So what I need is an Ethics,First Aid and Intro to coaching course and then I'm a certified Single letter non-contact coach ?

madmutter 07-27-2010 06:46 PM

Intro to coach is for Initiation only. You need Coach Level 1. You can get away without Safety for a little while too but in our minor hockey association one coach has to be safety certified and present at all practices and games. So if you don't have it and you're the only one at practice, no ice.

BLBarmada 07-27-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmutter (Post 27127137)
Intro to coach is for Initiation only. You need Coach Level 1. You can get away without Safety for a little while too but in our minor hockey association one coach has to be safety certified and present at all practices and games. So if you don't have it and you're the only one at practice, no ice.

So in other words I should take all the minimum required courses now and then when I want to go hirer in coaching I should take the other courses.

Is there a minimum age you have to be to be a Head coach or assitant coach ?

saskfarmboy 07-29-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTLjunior (Post 27127705)
So in other words I should take all the minimum required courses now and then when I want to go hirer in coaching I should take the other courses.

Is there a minimum age you have to be to be a Head coach or assitant coach ?

I'm also a teenager (17) who is coaching, only i'm coaching my little brother's novice team instead of a higher level. My advice to you is take all the required courses that you need for you level, and then take the courses you need to move up to higher levels when your ready to start coaching that level. There isn't a minimum age to be a coach, but I would recommend starting our as an assistant coach for 2 reasons. The first reason is that your a new coach, so you (likely) don't have much of an idea on how to run a practice properly. I've had to try run a practice when the other coaches couldn't make it, and its difficult. The second reason I recommend you start as an assistant is that you aren't that much older than the kids your wanting to coach, and therefore there is a good chance that they won't respect/listen to you the same way they would to an adult who has coaching experience. Be an assistant for a few years, learn how to coach from a coach who has done it before, and then attempt to be a coach when your old enough for the players to respect you. But most importantly, have fun with it and good luck!