HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Greg Johnson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=80469)

Colonial Blue 05-27-2004 12:22 AM

Greg Johnson

I am a Penguins fan who also has a liking for Nashville as well as captain Greg Johnson. I read a few times that he might not be renewed with the Predators next season, is there anything new with his situation since the end of the season? What do Predators fans think are the odds of him returning to the team?

barrytrotzsneck 05-27-2004 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonial Blue
I am a Penguins fan who also has a liking for Nashville as well as captain Greg Johnson. I read a few times that he might not be renewed with the Predators next season, is there anything new with his situation since the end of the season? What do Predators fans think are the odds of him returning to the team?

it could go either way, i think. he's been a decent contributor thus far, but it seems like 2 million dollars is a lot to pay your third line center. I think it's time the captaincy is passed on to one of the younger guys...and someone like Gamache or even Wyatt Smith takes his place on the team.

belle 05-27-2004 07:26 PM

His contract with the Preds runs thu the 04/05 season.

LPC2008 05-27-2004 08:58 PM

Does he have to remain Captain?? Or can that be given to another player??

barrytrotzsneck 05-27-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belle
His contract with the Preds runs thu the 04/05 season.

which makes him tradeable.

Jarnberg 05-27-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPC2008
Does he have to remain Captain?? Or can that be given to another player??

The C can be given to any player at anytime. Besides the goalie of course.

SmokeyClause 05-28-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csstranger
The C can be given to any player at anytime. Besides the goalie of course.

Yeah, but I doubt Trotz is going to strip Johnson of his captaincy. So it's not going anywhere, IMO, unless Johnson goes first.

belle 05-29-2004 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
which makes him tradeable.

Everybody is tradeable. Preds are a little light at center so it doesn't seem likely. (Unless they are willing to take Arkhi also).

SmokeyClause 05-29-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belle
Everybody is tradeable. Preds are a little light at center so it doesn't seem likely. (Unless they are willing to take Arkhi also).

Trading Johnson is awkward right now. I want to do it, but we need to have an NHL centerman either coming back in the trade or being acquired elsewhere. Getting a player like Craig Conroy would solve a lot of the problems, but I'd rather have a true centerman on every line. If we get rid of Johnson, we have Legwand and Arkhipov left. I'm not confident Arkhipov will ever be a legitimate NHLer. So that leaves Legwand as our only true centerman. Sullivan and Hall can both play center and that would definitely help, but Sullivan is awful at faceoffs and Hall, while good in the faceoff dot, just isn't a natural centerman. If we get rid of Johnson, we'll be left with a team that wins faceoffs about 45% of the time. That just isn't going to cut it IMO. We lost several points last year because of untimely faceoff losses in our own zone.

barrytrotzsneck 05-30-2004 03:12 PM

What about Curtis Brown? Even if we kept Johnson, he would be an ideal third or fourth line center. I think he's a good faceoff guy, solid PKer...and I was pretty impressed with him in San Jose's playoff run this year...and best of all, I'm hearing he can be had cheaply. What about...

Safronov

for

Curtis Brown?

Supposedly a mid-range prospect could get it done.

barrytrotzsneck 05-30-2004 03:15 PM

Walker Legwand Sullivan
Erat Johnson Orszagh
Hartnell Brown Hall
Stevenson Zholtok\Smith\Fiddler Tootoo

Timonen\Eaton
Hamhuis\Bombardir(i think he's going to be back)
Zidlicky\Hnidy(or Weber, anything's possible)

Vokoun
Mason

crossxcheck 05-31-2004 12:29 AM

Quote:

Walker Legwand Sullivan
Erat Johnson Orszagh
Hartnell Brown Hall
Stevenson Zholtok\Smith\Fiddler Tootoo

Timonen\Eaton
Hamhuis\Bombardir(i think he's going to be back)
Zidlicky\Hnidy(or Weber, anything's possible)

Vokoun
Mason

I can agree with this. I think pivko and/or shishkanov also have a legit chance at making the squad, too. I'd probably give upshall one more season since he was plagued by injuries this past season.

IMO good trade material: hutchinson and safronov

barrytrotzsneck 05-31-2004 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I can agree with this. I think pivko and/or shishkanov also have a legit chance at making the squad, too. I'd probably give upshall one more season since he was plagued by injuries this past season.

IMO good trade material: hutchinson and safronov

i forgot about pivko. hm, if pivko's faceoff numbers are good...then he could take the place of smith or fiddler, who are both good faceoff guys.

Jarnberg 05-31-2004 01:03 AM

Blah, I hope Wyatt Smith isn't on the team....

barrytrotzsneck 05-31-2004 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csstranger
Blah, I hope Wyatt Smith isn't on the team....

why? he's nothing special, but he's perfect for the fourth line. good defensively, good on the pk, better than pretty much anyone on our team at faceoffs. i'd feel more comfortable with wyatt smith as our fourth line center than andrew hutchinson as a sixth d-man

Jarnberg 05-31-2004 11:42 PM

Quote:

why? he's nothing special, but he's perfect for the fourth line. good defensively, good on the pk, better than pretty much anyone on our team at faceoffs. i'd feel more comfortable with wyatt smith as our fourth line center than andrew hutchinson as a sixth d-man

Might as well have kept Wilm....

triggrman 06-01-2004 08:35 AM

Wilm made 1M, Wyatt is half the price, not that I want either.