HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   General Sports (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Rogers Sportsnet to add a new channel on August 14 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=805729)

McSorleyStick 08-02-2010 10:35 PM

Rogers Sportsnet to add a new channel on August 14

http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

Quote:

Sportsnet ONE to launch on August 14

Canadian sports fans will have another channel -- and hours of more live sports -- to choose from when Sportsnet ONE launches on Aug. 14.

More than 800 hours of live sports programming -- featuring the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors and Barclays Premier League soccer -- will be available to viewers across the country, the bulk of it in high definition, on the 24-hour national sports digital channel.

Also scheduled to be broadcast are other MLB games, including the Seattle Mariners, and various NBA games.

"We know there is an incredible appetite for live-event sports, and we plan to fulfill that need," Doug Beeforth, president of Rogers Sportsnet, said Tuesday. "We are confident that Sportsnet will be a must watch for Canadian sports fans, and a great addition to the sports broadcasting landscape in Canada."

Sportsnet ONE launches Aug.14 at 12 noon, beginning with a Barclays Premier League match featuring defending champion Chelsea and West Brom, followed by a 4 pm ET / 1 pm PT MLB game and then the Blue Jays vs. Los Angeles Angels at 9 pm ET / 6 pm PT.

"Sportsnet ONE is the perfect complement to our four regional channels," said Beeforth. "We have established a reputation for live events on Rogers Sportsnet, and Sportsnet ONE continues that tradition."

Rogers Media, which owns Sportsnet ONE as well as the existing four Sportsnet channels (East, Ontario, West and Pacific), received approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a category mainstream sports channel license in March. Sportsnet ONE will be a national channel with the ability to broadcast regional content.

Fel 96 08-02-2010 10:36 PM

yeah, looks nice.

overlords 08-02-2010 10:53 PM

does this mean more hockey on the regular sportsnet channel?

not quite yoda 08-02-2010 10:59 PM

tsn sportsnet

and tsn2 isn't so hot so...

McSorleyStick 08-02-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not quite yoda (Post 27213868)
tsn sportsnet

and tsn2 isn't so hot so...

TheScore is the best :naughty:

63teddi 08-02-2010 11:09 PM

Yeah.. TSN is way better than Sportsnet or the Score.

hototogisu 08-02-2010 11:16 PM

Kinda surprised they didn't even mention hockey once in that blurb. At least with TSN2 you get the odd live game that isn't shown anywhere else.

The regional Sportsnet channels are all blacked out anyway, except East...so who cares. Senators games - whoopee.

TyBOZAK* 08-02-2010 11:19 PM

Sportsnet is the best !

Habs 08-02-2010 11:20 PM

Sportsnet is a joke, I find it unwatchable. Goofy anchors and that horrible piped in crowd background noise, in their NHL highlights, is pathetic.

Fel 96 08-02-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not quite yoda (Post 27213868)
tsn sportsnet

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63teddi (Post 27214024)
Yeah.. TSN is way better than Sportsnet or the Score.

is this even new?

okay seriously, it depends of what you are interested to watch in sports. Of course, TSN is better for hockey, I mean they actually have experts there..

that's it.

Hackett 08-03-2010 12:08 AM

The Score is awful. I actually liked it when they ran hilite packs for most of the day and had some daily recap shows. Now, their live programming sucks for the most part and their TV anchors are like a bunch of kids too cool for school.

I'm not a big fan of Sportsnet either. Their production value is almost as amateur as The Score. But if this new channel means more EPL coverage, I'm for it.

Does anyone know if all the big cable companies are on board with this new channel and is it going to be in the common sports packages?

InglewoodJack 08-03-2010 12:16 AM

This is my birthday, so I guess this is my birthday present.

To be honesty, Jay Onrait singing Happy Birthday would have been my ideal gift, second to that, Kate the highlights girl... yeah ANYWAYS.

Habs Junkie 08-03-2010 01:55 AM

Wow another channel to cover the Toronto market.

Seriously though can we habfans please have a channel. I will pay for it if I have to. All habs all the time. Why not make it the first ever bilingual sports network with subtitles? I'm sure there would be a bigger market for that then a fifth Rogers channel or tsn2 or even the score.

Klaus 08-03-2010 02:22 AM

1.TSN

2.Sportsnet

3. The Score

Just sayin'.

Anyways... not that excited about this new channel.

LaurentHabs 08-03-2010 03:51 AM

I want to get it, Though, ill start by getting Comedy Central Gold. That stuff looks great. Ill await some reviews of Sportsnet one

One Man Rock Band 08-03-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DecyferDown (Post 27216275)
1.TSN

2.Sportsnet

3. The Score

Just sayin'.

Anyways... not that excited about this new channel.

I'd agree if we are talking about regular programming. If we are talking about highlights, I watch The Score since they give you complete stats for hockey games.

McSorleyStick 08-03-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 27216815)
I'd agree if we are talking about regular programming. If we are talking about highlights, I watch The Score since they give you complete stats for hockey games.

This.

Plus, if you like the NBA, TheScore is great, especially that show where they broadcast various live games at the same time.

TheScore soccer analysts are also better than Sportsnet's or TSN's

Pascal 08-03-2010 10:50 AM

Great.. another Sportsnet channel I won't watch unless it's poker. All their hockey games are blacked out.

La Grosse Tendresse 08-03-2010 11:25 AM

Yeah, this channel will be relatively useless.

They don't have national rights to the NHL, so you won't get any NHL games there except for the Sens. And those games probably used to be available on the regular Sportsnet channel.

Like TSN2, it's going to be for overflow, like random NBA and MLB games. It will let them air a Raptors game at the same time as a hockey game. However, Sportsnet doesn't really have the rights to as many things as TSN, so there won't be much quality events on their new channel. They have the rights to the CHL, but I'm sure that they won't be showing more games than what they surrently do (which is like 5 games a season plus Mem Cup).

GoodKiwi 08-03-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse (Post 27219283)
Yeah, this channel will be relatively useless.

They don't have national rights to the NHL, so you won't get any NHL games there except for the Sens. And those games probably used to be available on the regular Sportsnet channel.

Like TSN2, it's going to be for overflow, like random NBA and MLB games. It will let them air a Raptors game at the same time as a hockey game. However, Sportsnet doesn't really have the rights to as many things as TSN, so there won't be much quality events on their new channel.

Finally. Took about 20 posts until someone who knows what he's talking about stepped up and clarified it for everyone unaware of what RSN One is going to be. It is an overflow channel primarily.

By the way, did TheScore lose its Raptors games to RSN One? Not sure if I read it right over at DigitalHome.

zzoo 08-03-2010 11:40 AM

Does anyone have any idea when that channel is available on Videotron ?

Fel 96 08-03-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzoo (Post 27219509)
Does anyone have any idea when that channel is available on Videotron ?

August 14?

Benzaza 08-03-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSorleyStick (Post 27213926)
TheScore is the best :naughty:

no HD The Score :-(

Habs10Habs 08-03-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InglewoodJack (Post 27215037)
This is my birthday, so I guess this is my birthday present.

To be honesty, Jay Onrait singing Happy Birthday would have been my ideal gift, second to that, Kate the highlights girl... yeah ANYWAYS.

Both are busy right now, so instead you have me singing Happy Birthday, you lucky bastidge. :)

I think this new addition is great news. The more channels on my TV that show sports, the more I like it.

InglewoodJack 08-03-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 27221223)
Both are busy right now, so instead you have me singing Happy Birthday, you lucky bastidge. :)

I think this new addition is great news. The more channels on my TV that show sports, the more I like it.

Score! :laugh::laugh: