HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What do you guys think about Theodore - Update: Poile has NOT talked to Theodore (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=805839)

boropredsfan 08-03-2010 08:52 AM

What do you guys think about Theodore - Update: Poile has NOT talked to Theodore

looks like we could be close

http://twitter.com/Jay_Gold_/status/20147744817

MattPreds37 08-03-2010 09:01 AM

Please no, I think we should go with one of the kids, I think Lindbeck personally and spend the money on an offensive talent.

worstfaceoffmanever 08-03-2010 09:04 AM

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

BigFatCat999 08-03-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 27218232)
It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I just wonder if Philly makes a deal with Niemi and then calls their GMBFF in David Poile and see if they can move a goalie to Nashville?

Boucher or Leighton? or Theodore.

glenngineer 08-03-2010 09:25 AM

Get Hornqvist and Franson done and then see where the money situation lays then. I'd prefer a veteran back up as opposed to a kid to be honest but not at $1.5 million. Theodore is worthy of that money but we don't need to spend that type of money on a backup. Somewhere in the $.5-.75 range for a veteran backup would suit me just fine.

predfan24 08-03-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 27218469)
Get Hornqvist and Franson done and then see where the money situation lays then. I'd prefer a veteran back up as opposed to a kid to be honest but not at $1.5 million. Theodore is worthy of that money but we don't need to spend that type of money on a backup. Somewhere in the $.5-.75 range for a veteran backup would suit me just fine.

I agree we need to get Franson and Hornqvist done first but after the are signed if we can afford to give Theodore 1.5 on a one year deal I don't see why not. It's not going to hurt anything long term on the budget and he would make a very good stop-gap until one of Lindbeck, Pickard, etc. are hopefully truly ready next year.

jlsg 08-03-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 27218469)

At that price what kind of talent will we have with the veteran.

barrytrotzsneck 08-03-2010 10:12 AM

I like the idea of getting Theo, but forgive my ignorance, who the f is "Jay Gold," and why do we believe him?

i swear, if i find out i can make money by putting random stuff on twitter...

token grinder 08-03-2010 10:23 AM

i think it would be a good smart deal. ideally, you want pekka playing 60 games, although we all know it will be in the 65-70 range, which will wear him out. I don't know about you but I would rather have jose theodore post a .500 record and get us 20-25 points in 20 games than lindback who is gonna have to adjust to the different ice, speed of the game, and the massive upgrade in talent firing pucks at him.

jstreet 08-03-2010 11:26 AM

Id welcome Theo.

Wasnt it agreed that our young goalie talent looked exciting and promising but that no one really stepped up and stole the show in training?

With Theo you know what you are getting.

glenngineer 08-03-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsg (Post 27219110)
At that price what kind of talent will we have with the veteran.

A journeyman backup goalie. We don't need a stud or a guy that used to be a starter. What we need is a guy who's always been a backup and is comfortable in that role.

PredsV82 08-03-2010 11:52 AM

if we can afford it without compromising anyone elses deal, im more ok with Theodore than I would be with a completley unproven rookie. But if paying that extra million over a rookie costs us flexibility to pick up a player at the trade deadline then its a tough call. I'll trust poile to manage the finances though, so if he signs for that, i'll assume we can afford it.

its a shame leighton went all superhero in the playoffs, I kinda had him in mind for a signing this summer, but oh well...

Top 6 Spaling 08-03-2010 12:09 PM

I still think Manny Legace is our best option. He is the perfect balance of cost/talent to get us through 20 games.

I also think Lindbeck or Dekanich would be fine if we need the money.

Id be fine with Theo, but not for 1.5

barrytrotzsneck 08-03-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopreds9 (Post 27220948)
I still think Manny Legace is our best option. He is the perfect balance of cost/talent to get us through 20 games.

I also think Lindbeck or Dekanich would be fine if we need the money.

Id be fine with Theo, but not for 1.5

Legace is my top realistic choice at this point. I think he's still a decent goaltender, even if it didn't show on a defensively-deficient team in Carolina, and I also think he has a good reputation as a solid lockerroom citizen.

BigFatCat999 08-03-2010 12:15 PM

If the Preds are looking at Theodore at 1.5M, to me that says the internal cap IS the mid-level cap I got the Preds at 46 Million right now and this would put the team at 47.5M Poile ALWAYS saved a million or two to have a budget at the trade deadline. Also there is numbers for call ups and injuries (Which are covered by insurance). Before Cigarran made his note that this team would spend a little more, the estimated self cap would be 47.5M. Poile would not be blowing the whole wad in one shot. Something tells me the budget is 50-51.24M

Paranoid Android 08-03-2010 12:35 PM

At $1.5, I'd almost rather just have kept Ellis around. Yeah, Theo is the better tender, but he is also more risky and Ellis already knows the system. But I wouldn't complain. In fact, while typing this out, I'm leaning towards really liking a deal like this... hehhh

If this is true, like BFC said, our internal budget must have gone up :D :cheers:

Perhaps this is partly why Rinne's contract is structured the way it is (2.8 and 4.0), allowing us to spend more on a backup this year. Next year, when Rinne is making the big bucks, we can bring up Lindback or whomever.

Paranoid Android 08-03-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 27219114)
I like the idea of getting Theo, but forgive my ignorance, who the f is "Jay Gold," and why do we believe him?

I don't know who he is either, but looks like he sort of broke the Nabokov signing :dunno:

Top 6 Spaling 08-03-2010 12:48 PM

If we do sign him, his head might explode at the shock of actually having a defense :D

I think hes a very good goalie, just not the right price for us. If we get him for >1.25, Ill be fine with it for one year.

Nshpred87 08-03-2010 12:49 PM

The thing is he has a #1 goalie mentalilty, if he comes here he will expect to be number one correct? I would rather stay with in, and let a young guy learn the system and us not run off another great goalie.

Seth Lake 08-03-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 27221356)
At $1.5, I'd almost rather just have kept Ellis around. Yeah, Theo is the better tender, but he is also more risky and Ellis already knows the system. But I wouldn't complain. In fact, while typing this out, I'm leaning towards really liking a deal like this... hehhh

If this is true, like BFC said, our internal budget must have gone up :D :cheers:

Perhaps this is partly why Rinne's contract is structured the way it is (2.8 and 4.0), allowing us to spend more on a backup this year. Next year, when Rinne is making the big bucks, we can bring up Lindback or whomever.

Ellis didn't really want to come back if he found an opportunity to start somewhere and that's what he got in Tampa. Dan is in the prime years of his career and looking for a spot to grow and establish himself whereas...

Theodore, Toskala, and Legace are approaching the end of their careers and while Theodore would've probably liked to have gotten a spot where he could at least be in a 1a/1b scenario, the options are extremely limited right now and see essentially Nashville as the ONLY team in the league with a wide open No. 2 spot.

My personal preference was Yann Danis, but he signed in the KHL last week. Out of the goalies left (Niemi is not signing here), Theodore is the one that gives me the most confidence heading into the season should Pekka get injured or struggle for any length of time.

As long as he doesn't break the bank (and $1.5 mil is a trade able contract), I'd like to see the Predators go after Theodore...

Seth Lake 08-03-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 27219114)

Seeing whereas the Tweet is not being used for anymore than speculation, I don't see Jay Gold's credibility being an issue. If someone decided to use it as a link to confirm anything...then we've got a problem.

I don't know who Jay Gold is either, but he's been getting re-tweeted more and more lately, so I'm gonna assume he's built up a bit of credibility...even though it clearly is not enough to use as a source to deny or confirm anything...

Top 6 Spaling 08-03-2010 01:34 PM

My idea: Dont sign Theo. Bring up Lindback. Use the savings to sign Tim Kennedy after he is bought out by Buffalo.

We lose a little bit of talent in our backup goalie slot, but Lindback gains experience and we get Kennedy. Not too shabby.

Nothing against Theo, 1.5 is just too much.

barrytrotzsneck 08-03-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 27221732)
Seeing whereas the Tweet is not being used for anymore than speculation, I don't see Jay Gold's credibility being an issue. If someone decided to use it as a link to confirm anything...then we've got a problem.

I don't know who Jay Gold is either, but he's been getting re-tweeted more and more lately, so I'm gonna assume he's built up a bit of credibility...even though it clearly is not enough to use as a source to deny or confirm anything...

Well, the OP did say it looked to be "getting close," which certainly sounds like credence being placed ;)

I've also only heard of this guy recently, and have seen him RT as well...but mostly from other Predators fans, in regard to the "imminent" Hornqvist deal. I've even seen his words cited as absolute source from one Predators blogger in a piece about how Hornqvist's deal will only be one year.

It's all fodder for conversation of course, but it's a recurring point of frustration for me that any Joe Schmoe on Twitter can say things without basis or foundation, or any sort of track record for credibility...and lead to "rumors" like this. There's a difference between "I think the Preds should get Theodore" and "I read that the Predators are trying to get Theodore," and it totally affects the context. HF apparently agrees, because notorious BS artist "NHL Sources Say" is now filtered. Anyone can claim to be an "insider" these days, and can refuse to reveal sources for the sake of "protection." The truth of the matter is that there's not a single blogger independent of the major sports news outlets that likely has any real sources.

Again, it's probably harmless to sit and chat about this, but to award someone credibility and page hits for what is very likely falsified information is a little bothersome.

barrytrotzsneck 08-03-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopreds9 (Post 27222387)
My idea: Dont sign Theo. Bring up Lindback. Use the savings to sign Tim Kennedy after he is bought out by Buffalo.

We lose a little bit of talent in our backup goalie slot, but Lindback gains experience and we get Kennedy. Not too shabby.

Nothing against Theo, 1.5 is just too much.

Whose place does Kennedy take in the lineup?

What basis has Lindback given us to feel confident that he can handle 20-25 games at the NHL level?

Top 6 Spaling 08-03-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 27222435)
Whose place does Kennedy take in the lineup?

What basis has Lindback given us to feel confident that he can handle 20-25 games at the NHL level?

Q1. I didnt add this, but i feel like we need to make a trade too. We have waaay too many NHL forwards right now (NEVER thought I'd say that). We should package O'reilly with ward/toots/belak/smithson/goc (better player, better return)/etc. to a team like Chicago or Philly that needs 4th line depth at low costs for picks or a higher level forward (Sharp.....:hyper:) I think Kennedy has a higher upside than Smithson or Ward, and is therefore more useful.

Q2. Not a ton, but I've heard nothing bad about the kid. Between Linders, Jeremy Smith, and Dekanich, we should be able to find a backup (I wanna keep Chet as our AHL starter to get some serious experience.)