HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Switching to Goalie Questions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=806326)

Biz 08-04-2010 01:07 PM

Switching to Goalie Questions

Hey guys,

For this coming fall a friend of mine is trying to put together a recreational ice team but has no goalie. I have lots of experience with road hockey goalie and have always kind of wanted to play on ice (my 7 year old self really didn't like getting scored on and switched to forward). I may have access to pads of a friend of mine (he's slightly shorter than me but his pads look a bit big on him) but am wondering what the main obstacles/difficulties to such a switch will be.

To summarize, I have hand eye coordination, general knowledge of goalie positioning, possible access to pads and I can skate well.

One thing specifically I am wondering is if it is foot suicide to use my player skates in net. I would imagine so but I don't know.

Thanks! Any and all help is appreciated. :handclap:

PuckHogs29 08-04-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biz (Post 27238469)
Hey guys,

For this coming fall a friend of mine is trying to put together a recreational ice team but has no goalie. I have lots of experience with road hockey goalie and have always kind of wanted to play on ice (my 7 year old self really didn't like getting scored on and switched to forward). I may have access to pads of a friend of mine (he's slightly shorter than me but his pads look a bit big on him) but am wondering what the main obstacles/difficulties to such a switch will be.

To summarize, I have hand eye coordination, general knowledge of goalie positioning, possible access to pads and I can skate well.

One thing specifically I am wondering is if it is foot suicide to use my player skates in net. I would imagine so but I don't know.

Thanks! Any and all help is appreciated. :handclap:

I've seen goalies use player skates, but I personally never would. I have such an awareness of my equipment that I just know when something is off. The other side to that is that goalie skates are obviously built with the goalie in mind, I can't see regular skates being conducive to goalie movemements.

Other than that if it really interests you give it a shot. It'll probably be rough at first like any position transition is, but you'll get used to it. Practice practice practice. See if there are clinics near you that offer goalie instruction. I mean come on you live in Canada, isn't there a rink on every street corner? :sarcasm:

Good luck!

Biz 08-04-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 (Post 27239216)
I've seen goalies use player skates, but I personally never would. I have such an awareness of my equipment that I just know when something is off. The other side to that is that goalie skates are obviously built with the goalie in mind, I can't see regular skates being conducive to goalie movemements.

Other than that if it really interests you give it a shot. It'll probably be rough at first like any position transition is, but you'll get used to it. Practice practice practice. See if there are clinics near you that offer goalie instruction. I mean come on you live in Canada, isn't there a rink on every street corner? :sarcasm:

Good luck!

I'm just curious about the skates safety-wise. I like my toes intact. The team is desperate for a goalie so having the correct skates for proper movement isn't the #1 concern. Also is there any problem with using used pads or would a wash help things (*cough* goalie jock strap *cough*).

And ya, I live down the street from a glorious placed called 8 rinks. Guess how it got its name :sarcasm:

PuckHogs29 08-04-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biz (Post 27239480)
I'm just curious about the skates safety-wise. I like my toes intact. The team is desperate for a goalie so having the correct skates for proper movement isn't the #1 concern. Also is there any problem with using used pads or would a wash help things (*cough* goalie jock strap *cough*).

And ya, I live down the street from a glorious placed called 8 rinks. Guess how it got its name :sarcasm:

It might just be me, but I'd steam clean everything, and then kill it with fire. :sarcasm:

Yeah I just see too much potential for pucks off the skates to not invest in goalie skates. Try to find a used pair to save some money if you can.

Biz 08-04-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 (Post 27239526)
It might just be me, but I'd steam clean everything, and then kill it with fire. :sarcasm:

Yeah I just see too much potential for pucks off the skates to not invest in goalie skates. Try to find a used pair to save some money if you can.

Ya, perhaps I'll give the position a chance at drop in hockey with normal skates to see if I'm interested enough to drop money on some used skates.

My arena has one of those "kills 99.997% of harmful bacteria" gear cleaning places so maybe that'll do the trick for the used stuff....

Harv 08-04-2010 03:09 PM

You need goalie skates.

From a performance aspect you'll have trouble with side to side movements because the edges will be too sharp. Your center of gravity will also be too high. The ankle support will be all out of wack too. Goalie skates don't have much of a rocker, as opposed to player skates.

From a safety view, it's really dangerous. If you even take a mildly hard shot off the inside of your foot your going to be in trouble. Look at the cowling on goalie skates and how hard and thick it is, it's there for a reason.

noobman 08-04-2010 03:17 PM

You need goalie skates.

Acew61 08-04-2010 03:20 PM

Recent convert here myself. In the 2-3 months I've been at it I've taken 1 shot that I was glad I had goalie skates on. Stung like a ***** but if it'd been regular skates I'd have had a broken foot. Most saves that have hit my skates have been off the blade. Granted different pads cover different amounts of your skates.

Drop the money on a used pair; the skates were the only part of my equipment I bought used and I found a pair of Bauer Reactor 5000s in excellent condition at Play It Again for $60 (Looking around at GSBB/ebay I got a steal). Just make sure there's plenty of blade left. The extra protection is worth it and they're much more conducive to playing in net. I tried to go with my regular skates once when I forgot the goalie skates and it was extremely awkward. Not to mention while I've only felt the one shot; there could be a multitude more that I didn't even notice off the boot itself because the protection was there.

As for cleaning the pads, as one poster said, kill it with fire. Something in me made me buy almost everything new just due to the huge amounts of sweat that pours into goalie pads I couldnt bring myself to buy used.

Giroux tha Damaja 08-04-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

I don't think that what happened to me with my bottom-of-the-line skates is a common experience, but I had a slap shot snap the toe cap of my skate clean off the boot and break my big toe and rip the toe nail off, and jammed the one next to it. The cowling on my goalie skates ever since is surely comforting. The profile of the blade and being lower to the ice is certainly helpful and a bit easier on your ankles getting into and out of the butter fly too, IMO.

That having been said, if I was on a budget and had decent quality player skates, I would not hesitate to play in net in them again.

O23L 08-05-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Im going to guess:
It has 8 ice sheets??

And I cant help you on your problem, Not a goalie haha