HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Looking at starting to play goalie.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=806387)

Cattman 08-04-2010 05:43 PM

Looking at starting to play goalie....

I've never played goalie before. I'm already playing in the "D" league as a defenseman and sometimes winger. I'm just wondering how to get started. I've talked to our goalie a bit about how he got stared. I'm wondering if I should just look for some used gear and start going to open hockey? Used gear is kinda hard to come by in Jacksonville, FL, but there is always ebay. I'm just worried about buying everything and not liking goalie.

Anyone have any tips or input?

Thanks!

Puckstop40 08-04-2010 09:04 PM

See if you can rent gear from a friend or your local rink. Get a concept of what it feels like and then work on basic fundementals such as butterfly stack and posistioning. If you work out make sure you you do a lot of strength training with your legs. It will be very exhausting having to go down and get up constantly. Thats how I started and took off from there.

Ignatius 08-04-2010 10:25 PM

First off go to Google and search "GSBB" to find the best goaltending site on the internet. Second, make sure you have at least $1500-2000 so that you can afford to buy quality equipment that you MUST have. This is not to suggest that you need to buy new and/or pro quality gear just to play at a low level, but there are a few items you will need to spend some extra money on for above adequate protection (ie good helmet, cup, C/A, catcher, throat/clavicle protector, etc). I personally would not cheap out on skates either, I have always bought the best of the best skates available. To me its no different than buying the best tires I can afford to put on my car when I know I'll be driving though a blizzard.

These are just my suggestions, take them as you will and look elsewhere for other opinions as well.

Moses Doughty 08-05-2010 12:22 AM

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php

Have fun man. And if you need help Im Cali Goalie 33 over there. But have money for gear. Get some good used gear if possible or low priced quality gear (Simmons maybe) and a good helmet like high level Itech, Hackva, etc. Just ask over there and your set

greyraven8 08-05-2010 01:05 AM

seeing if you can borrow some goal equipment, or possibly your goalie or some goalies he knows may have some used gear for sale. there may be some ads up at your local hockey arenas for goalie gear.

not all of us are making the kind of money 'fluffy bunny' must be making and can afford 'the best of the best'.

you should be able to get a used set somewhere for under $1000, may even around $500 or less if you are really lucky. don't really need anything new except the jock. don't even need the mask - the right helmet with a goalie cage on it is good enough - on gsbb look up 'calling all combo wearers' to see some of the helmets and goalie cages some use.

i got my first set of goal equipment from a goalie that was retiring from the game and have upgrade somewhat over the years and i still wear a 'combo' (helmet with goalie cage).

gsbb is a good site - could check out their classifieds area. you also could take a chance and search kijiji and craigslist in canada and the u.s. and probably be able to find a full set of goal equipment for a good price that someone is willing to ship outside their city - and there's always the ever popular ebay. i'd suggest a play-it-again sports or other used sporting goods store, but with you in florida i don't think you'd find anything there.

can also check clearance areas on various online hockey stores and you may luck out if you are the right size - hockeyworld.com is one; i'm sure others have some other online suggestions for deals.

MsConduct10 08-05-2010 01:37 PM

Generally the novice/D league coaches have a line on whether your rink has some goalie gear to borrow. Or find the hockey director at your rink and ask. Generally (especially in non-hockey markets) goalies are hard to come by so they like to help you any way they can.

Skates are the hardest part, IMO. Most gear you can fudge for a little while, but skates need to fit. You can start in your player skates, but unless you're very athletic and have great balance, it won't be as steady, but you probably will be more agile, so there's a trade-off.

If it's awful and really hard the first time out, don't worry about it. That's how it is. The gear is heavy and awkward and the up and downs are hard, but with a lot of work and persistence, it gets better. Learning to play goal as an adult takes a lot of passion for the position because it's incredibly frustrating at times. But it always pays off with a great game or a sick save somewhere down the road. Have fun!

Cattman 04-15-2011 07:04 PM

So once I get some decent gear, should I just go to open hockey and see what happens? Not sure what I should be doing! LOL!

Bear of Bad News 04-15-2011 07:25 PM

That seems about right. Books and videos will help, but ultimately, you learn how to play goal by playing goal.

Gino 14 04-17-2011 06:33 PM

Unless you have money to burn you don't have to spend $1000 to start playing goal, especially in D league. ebay is your friend and now is the time to shop. Your helmet should be your money pit, but your head is worth it. To start you can get by with regular pants, but that's about as much gear as you can reuse, and when you go to goalie pants you'll think you died and went to heaven. Don't go crazy, you may not like it, but if you do, you'll have time to figure out how and when to upgrade. Go for it.

biturbo19 04-19-2011 07:28 AM

i honestly have no advice on starting as a goaltender later in life. i basically pulled the opposite trick.

played goal through most of my competetive career. quit hockey for a few years. started up again as a skater because honestly...i was terrified that i'd be awful as a goaltender after that much time off.

sometimes people seem to assume that goaltending is just a 'stand still' 'easy' position. it's not. at all. if you aren't a very fluid comfortable skater as a player, you''re going to have a steep learning curve as a goaltender.

the crease isn't huge, but getting around effectively requires strong cuts as muscle memory and second nature sort of things. if you're even thinking about what your feet or doing, you'll probably get burned.

that said...

i miss it a whole lot and often toy with the idea of starting up again. if it weren't for that ridiculous cost of good quality new equipment i probably would've started up again by now.

and there's something so incredibly satisfying about goaltending when things are going right...that if you really think you can commit to it and stick it out through a LOT of very difficult times and learning experience...it's probably totally worth it.

helmet, can, chest protector are the things that you want to be most comfortable with. you defs won't want to stop a puck it you aren't sure those items won't protect you. but being comfortable with the rest of your equipment is important as well.

trying to learn without any real instruction will also probably be a struggle. but if you're patient, you'll probably slowly pick things up and learn via the internet. but once you're comfortable with the basics, some time as a goaltending school is probably your best bet.

anyway...props for the JAX thing. my mother is from there so i kinda have a soft spot for the place. best of luck dude. :)

bigbadbruins1 04-20-2011 03:39 PM

honestly, youtube. they show you all the techniques and drills you should be doing to get better.
But start doing squats. its a comparable motion to what goalies do about 100 times per game :laugh:

Also, depending on the intensity and skill level or your league you should look into buying lower level senior grade equipment ( scale is Junior, intermediate, senior, pro levels)
they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the pro stock. You can walk away spending under 1k. Pro grade equipment is going to run you well into the 2-3k range.
If thats still too much look at craigs list or goalieforum com (insert . where needed)