HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Federal Conservative party considering funding a Québec arena (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=806711)

shortcat1 08-05-2010 03:34 PM

Federal Conservative party considering funding a Québec arena

I'm watching CTV Newsworld on TV and an article came up about the Conservative Party led government considering funding a major arena in Québec.

The argument is that it would be a boost to upcoming bid for the 2022 winter Olympic games. Also, it was mentioned that this arena would likely be another argument for bringing back the Nordiques to Québec.

The 'unspoken' reason for this is that the Conservative Party only has 10 seats in the province of Québec and the party wants to improve its standing in the next election. It is hoped that the funding of such an arena would boost the party's popularity and, therefore, number of seats so as to get a better shot at a majority government next time.

Here is a web page confirming that news story.

http://www.bloggingcanadians.ca/Cons...-to-buy-votes/

Watcha think about that?

Seb 08-05-2010 03:38 PM

Still won't vote for them

Fel 96 08-05-2010 03:41 PM

oh wow

still, they don't hold their promises anyway.. :shakehead

ReVeuF 08-05-2010 03:41 PM

Would be nice, they will get votes for sure if they do that but I am not sure the whole Canada population will like to pay the arena with our tax.

Reduce tax or have a new arena in Quebec, this can be up for a debate.

overlords 08-05-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb (Post 27255336)

ditto. I can imagine the sentiment being shared across quebec city as well.

Frozenice 08-05-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 27255388)
ditto. I can imagine the sentiment being shared across quebec city as well.

The latest polls in Quebec have them winning 3 or 4 seats if an election was called today.

I hope they get an expansion team, let them build up their team through the draft.

Andy 08-05-2010 03:50 PM

Cons trying to buy seats?

shakenbake7 08-05-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb (Post 27255336)

Likewise. My old finance prof once told my class, "For years, the Canadian government worked to reduce the debt, and we were so close to paying it all off. Then, the Conservatives came into power and lowered taxes and increased spending. It was like paying off years of credit card debt, and then when you were down to the last few hundred dollars, you said 'SHOPPING SPREE!'"

Quite frankly, I would much rather see them transfer the money to the Quebec university system that is currently underfunded by about $400M. Students will soon see the effects of years and years of cut funds to the education system and I don't expect it to have a positive impact on the economy either.

mikeg 08-05-2010 04:06 PM

better them getting elected than the bloc really. not that i would vote for them.

GordonGraham 08-05-2010 04:08 PM

I voted for them the last 2 times, this will make vote for them again for sure

Metropolitsky 08-05-2010 04:15 PM

That won't be enough to buy my vote

DBS 08-05-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGraham (Post 27255765)
I voted for them the last 2 times, this will make vote for them again for sure

I voted for them last election too, but my riding was won by the NDP. Ugh. Thoroughly disgusted.

shortcat1 08-05-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 (Post 27256005)
I voted for them last election too, but my riding was won by the NDP. Ugh. Thoroughly disgusted.

You from Sudbury Ontario?

It's either the Liberals or the NDP here pretty well all of the time.

LyricalLyricist 08-05-2010 04:34 PM

I'm not good with politics but isn't this a case of:

"Here's money for a brand new arena!...but you will pay for it in taxes or in turn increase our debt and we'll have to leave other more important issues aside".

bipolarhabfan 08-05-2010 04:38 PM

This reeks of vote buying. But, hey, all parties are equally to blame in this regard. I remember Jack Leyton, during the Olympics, trying to get into position in front of a camera at a local bar in Ontario. This way, the people would really believe he is a passionate Canadian. In short, all political parties smell like manure. Your goal is to determine the one that smells like mushroom instead of chicken manure.

Anyways, a new arean would be nice. But, given the character of the current NHL managment team, I doubt we will see another Canadian team in the future.

Andy 08-05-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 27256094)
I'm not good with politics but isn't this a case of:

"Here's money for a brand new arena!...but you will pay for it in taxes or in turn increase our debt and we'll have to leave other more important issues aside".

pretty much.

katatoniak 08-05-2010 04:55 PM

well ... let them do it .... and lets not vote for them

Win/win ?

lillypad33 08-05-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katatoniak (Post 27256308)
well ... let them do it .... and lets not vote for them

Win/win ?

Elections are won or lost in Ontario.
Majorities are won in Quebec.

Jean-Guy Drouin* 08-05-2010 05:23 PM

Excellent idea!

It would be a very interesting project. It would help the city of Quebec in its bid to get a new NHL hockey team. It would bring economical perspectives that all the local population would benefit. This arena could be used like Bell Center with events and shows during summer or when the team is away; tourism would increase.

Quebec city and Beauce are 2 regions that supports the good work of the Conservatives and it would also help the party in the province of Quebec. The Conservatives are still the only real viable initiative in Canadian Politics and I am proud to support it.

Kimota 08-05-2010 05:52 PM

Bring in The Lightnings! :naughty:

The Russian General 08-05-2010 05:53 PM

**** les Cons.

Kimota 08-05-2010 05:57 PM

In truth, they ripped out so much money that were going to the culture and films, if they're gonna pay a small amount for an arena, it's a small relief. But they should really think about at least restoring what was going to the provinces for the industry of cinema.

LyricalLyricist 08-05-2010 06:05 PM

They should put the money into something else. I love hockey no doubt, but there's better things to worry about. Not to mention, highly doubt we get another olympic event so soon. A big price to pay for a bid to host the 2022 olympics. They won't get it. Don't bother.

tiredman 08-05-2010 06:18 PM

People are often confused when it comes to this arena...

1) Charest promised 50 millions. He confimed he's open to give more but warns private funds will be needed to make this happen.

2) The proposed arena is 400M$... but it's a maximum. It could be lower.

3) The city also promised 50 millions.

So, there's only 100 million promised so far. There's still lot of works to be done before it happens (however, I would guess there's probably work done we don't know about yet). And personally, I don't expect anything from the feds... And if we do receive something, it will never be close to 175M$...

The only hidden card we have is the olympics... but we would have
1) to bid first
2) to win the games secondly
And if it happens... it won't be before many years...

My guess is that some deal will be reached between Quebecor and Quebec...
50 millions from the city + 150 millions from Quebec + What's left by Quebecor...

Patofqc* 08-05-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiredman (Post 27257226)
People are often confused when it comes to this arena...

1) Charest promised 50 millions. He confimed he's open to give more but warns private funds will be needed to make this happen.

2) The proposed arena is 400M$... but it's a maximum. It could be lower.

3) The city also promised 50 millions.

So, there's only 100 million promised so far. There's still lot of works to be done before it happens (however, I would guess there's probably work done we don't know about yet). And personally, I don't expect anything from the feds... And if we do receive something, it will never be close to 175M$...

The only hidden card we have is the olympics... but we would have
1) to bid first
2) to win the games secondly
And if it happens... it won't be before many years...

My guess is that some deal will be reached between Quebecor and Quebec...
50 millions from the city + 150 millions from Quebec + What's left by Quebecor...

You are a bit pessimistic and i understand that being a long time Nordiques fan myself. But The way i see it, with all the political good will right now is this: The city 50 M, the quebec government 100 M, the fed 100 M, and the naming of the arena 85M. The conservative really need the region of Quebec if they ever want to win a majority. Charest said often that Québec has to have a new Arena. The private funding will come with the naming rights. Labeaume said in an interview that he asked for 400M in order to get less after negociation. I have never been so optimistic about this arena.