HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Flatter hollows (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=806835)

The Spicy Shrimp 08-05-2010 11:05 PM

Flatter hollows
 
From everything I've read, beginners and heavier skaters (both labels apply to me) should be using a flatter hollow. When I started up, I guess I got whatever hollow the person before me got (1/2?) Last time I got a 3/4, thinking it was going to help me from squeaking while stopping, but no luck. I moved to a 7/8 today. I'm about 250 right now. Would going up to a 1 inch hollow be too much for me if the 7/8 doesn't work? Does anyone else use a really flat hollow? What do you like about it compared to a standard cut?

Duckguy 08-06-2010 12:24 AM

Well 3/4 is already a very flat hollow. Not sure if 7/8 or 1 is gonna make much of a difference. But, it's all about trial and error so i'd probably skip the 7/8 and go straight to the 1. Hopefully the ice is soft enough for you to get enough bite.

goord* 08-06-2010 01:55 AM

hope everything goes well

Jarick 08-06-2010 07:49 AM

You could also try FBV, it gives you the bite of a deep hollow and the glide of a shallow hollow.

How are your turns?

vivianmb 08-06-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp (Post 27260765)
From everything I've read, beginners and heavier skaters (both labels apply to me) should be using a flatter hollow. When I started up, I guess I got whatever hollow the person before me got (1/2?) Last time I got a 3/4, thinking it was going to help me from squeaking while stopping, but no luck. I moved to a 7/8 today. I'm about 250 right now. Would going up to a 1 inch hollow be too much for me if the 7/8 doesn't work? Does anyone else use a really flat hollow? What do you like about it compared to a standard cut?

i vary from 3/4 to 7/8.
im 5'11" 210 lbs. 39 yrs. old
i am skating for 33 yrs.
i am no beginner by any means, but i like the flatter hollow. and the ice up here is hard and fast.
flatter gives you less friction so you dont slow down between strides.
and you'll still be able to have sharp turns and stops.just get them sharpened regularly.
and what do you mean squeeking while stopping?

thedonger 08-06-2010 08:40 AM

i'm assuming he meant his blades are "chattering" on stops.

Skraut 08-06-2010 08:49 AM

I chattered a ton on stops as a beginner and a heaver guy. Eventually I just learned better control. In the over year I've been skating I've never messed with the hollow. Thought about going to something less when I really had problems, but eventually I just got better and overcame it.

Not saying that is what you need to do, just giving you my experience with it.

vivianmb 08-06-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedonger (Post 27263735)
i'm assuming he meant his blades are "chattering" on stops.

he needs more strength in his legs than.
for the record i didnt experiment with hollows till about 2003 when i bought my own machine. all thru jrs. i was probably on 1/2".i feel i am a much better more fluid skater on the bigger hollow.i wish i skated on it back in my prime.

Jarick 08-06-2010 08:58 AM

For a beginner there's no reason to go above 3/4, and from what it sounds like, I'd stick with 1/2 or 5/8 and practice stops. Nothing wrong with it, we all had to learn stops, but going flatter and flatter won't help in this case.

Bruwinz37 08-07-2010 12:38 PM

I am having a major chattering problem. I guess I am on the heavier side but this has never happened before I got the new skates that I am weaering now. Went from Nike Bauer to CCM. I will try to follow the "hollow" rule and flatten that out. Someone did my skates at a 1/2 inch and I could barely move on them.

Someone also mentioned getting the radius or how they are rocked...I dont know much about this at all.

While I am not a world class skater I am certainly a good skater and cannot figure out this problem.

Advice?

vivianmb 08-07-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 (Post 27279404)
I am having a major chattering problem. I guess I am on the heavier side but this has never happened before I got the new skates that I am weaering now. Went from Nike Bauer to CCM. I will try to follow the "hollow" rule and flatten that out. Someone did my skates at a 1/2 inch and I could barely move on them.

Someone also mentioned getting the radius or how they are rocked...I dont know much about this at all.

While I am not a world class skater I am certainly a good skater and cannot figure out this problem.

Advice?

deaden the edges on some wood.
the bench, the boards,etc. i always had to do that when i had a new sharpening. and yes the skates should get rocked, but that shouldnt affect the stopping, just the quick turns.(tripping over your own blade like a toe pick)

IniNew 08-07-2010 02:08 PM

I'm 250 and skate 1/2. Chattering could mean you're not leaning far enough on the edge to get a shave instead of a chatter.

vivianmb 08-07-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 27280384)
I'm 250 and skate 1/2. Chattering could mean you're not leaning far enough on the edge to get a shave instead of a chatter.

THIS BIG TIME. get low.

budster 08-08-2010 11:55 PM

Maybe you could have someone watch you and coach your technique. After that's done, then you focus on the right roh. The nice thing about going with a steeper hollow is you can dull them on the threshold of the bench.
_______________________
Choosing radius of hollow

nullterm 08-09-2010 01:05 AM

I had alot of trouble with deeper hollows so I switched to 3/4 and it made life alot easier stopping and transitioning.

Now that I'm more comfortable and confident, I'm slowly working back to a deeper hollow each time I get a new sharpen. I'm at 5/8 right now. Will probably go 1/2 next.

Pog Form 08-09-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullterm (Post 27297963)
I had alot of trouble with deeper hollows so I switched to 3/4 and it made life alot easier stopping and transitioning.

Now that I'm more comfortable and confident, I'm slowly working back to a deeper hollow each time I get a new sharpen. I'm at 5/8 right now. Will probably go 1/2 next.

Try 9/16 if your guy will do it for you. It's half way between 5/8 and 1/2.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.