HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: If Redden was waived... and then re-called... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=807551)

FanHabtic 08-08-2010 02:58 PM

If Redden was waived... and then re-called...

I think its a forgone conclusion that the Rangers will demote Redden to the AHL to clear cap-space. Would anyone pickup Redden if he was waived then placed on re-call waivers at some point in the season? Is it worth picking up Redden at a cap-hit of 3.25 million for another 4 seasons? Would the Rangers re-call Redden and risk 3.25M of dead cap-space over the remainder of his contract?

Your thoughts...

DrZoidberg 08-08-2010 03:00 PM

No, just leave him down there.

azrok22 08-08-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Would the Rangers re-call Redden and risk 3.25M of dead cap-space over the remainder of his contract?
Doubtful. I think the extra $3.25m in cap space would be considered more valuable than the $3.25m in real dollars saved per year to a franchise with such deep pockets.

The Perfect Paradox 08-08-2010 03:05 PM

Not a chance he would be re-called. Can't Redden be loaned to a KHL team if he is buried in the minors?

Bird Law 08-08-2010 03:12 PM

Why would we re-call him?

****, we're hoping he refuses demotion so we can just void his contract :)

ComixZone 08-08-2010 03:28 PM

Isn't there a rule where you can only demote a player under a 1-way contract for only 1 of the years of that contract?

(I could be wrong)

If so, what does demoting Redden for 1 year really accomplish? Not to mention, that even if I am wrong about that "1 year only" thing, the reputation of your team is going to take a huge hit in the NHLPA and it WILL hamper your team's ability come free agency time.

Bacchus 08-08-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Cool (Post 27291705)
If so, what does demoting Redden for 1 year really accomplish? Not to mention, that even if I am wrong about that "1 year only" thing, the reputation of your team is going to take a huge hit in the NHLPA and it WILL hamper your team's ability come free agency time.

That's a myth. It didn't hamper the Devils attracting Kovalchuk (Mogilny), it didn't hamper the Rangers signing Gaborik (Kasparaitis).

Areid1990 08-08-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Isn't there a rule where you can only demote a player under a 1-way contract for only 1 of the years of that contract?

(I could be wrong)

This NY we are talking about. People will kill to play for the Rangers and demoting Redden would do nothing to deter people away from them.

MojoJojo 08-08-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Areid1990 (Post 27291804)
This NY we are talking about. People will kill to play for the Rangers and demoting Redden would do nothing to deter people away from them.

Which is why guys like Drury, Holik, Redden, and Gomez all took pay cuts to play there.

Randall Ritchey 08-08-2010 04:09 PM

If he gets demoted, I see him refuses it, having his contract voided then signing elsewhere cheap.

Pure 08-08-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo (Post 27292072)
Which is why guys like Drury, Holik, Redden, and Gomez all took pay cuts to play there.

To be fair its likely the living costs. I would love to move to NYC, but not unless someone raise my salary by about 20% to off-set the high living cost.

Finnish your Czech 08-08-2010 04:12 PM

no one would take him, so I don't see why this thread is here.

mouser 08-08-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

(I could be wrong)

Never heard of any rule like that.

Skim 08-08-2010 04:25 PM

I could definitely see a team claiming him if was recalled. However if the Rangers send him down, I'm pretty sure there is 0% chance he is recalled. 3+Mil in dead cap space for 4 years is not a good thing.

Trends Analyst 08-08-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 27292122)
To be fair its likely the living costs. I would love to move to NYC, but not unless someone raise my salary by about 20% to off-set the high living cost.

I am sorry but that is a load of bull. Those guys salary without the massive overpayment by the Rangers would still be enough to lie comfortably in NYC.

Dr Awesome 08-08-2010 04:39 PM

I thought Redden has a NMC?

Bacchus 08-08-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome (Post 27292475)
I thought Redden has a NMC?

No, that's Drury.

disorder 08-08-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 27291794)
That's a myth. It didn't hamper the Devils attracting Kovalchuk (Mogilny), it didn't hamper the Rangers signing Gaborik (Kasparaitis).

Deserved or undeserved foreign players, especially Russians, have always been treated differently and the Mogilny/Kasparitis situations and were more tolerated. I somewhat forget the specifics but wasn't there drama going on with these two anyway?

Demoting a NA player to the AHL for purposes of burying his salary could be a slippery slope.

Bacchus 08-08-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disorder (Post 27292598)
Demoting a NA player to the AHL for purposes of burying his salary could be a slippery slope.

The Rangers did that as well (Brashear). I still don't think it will hamper them (and certainly Brashear's replacement (Boogaard) thinks so, too).

Analyzer 08-08-2010 05:15 PM

Wade Redden should know he sucks, so why would he refuse assignment to the AHL while still collecting 6.5 mill ?

hlundqvist30* 08-08-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

(I could be wrong)

And you think letting underachieving, unmotivated players comfortably hold their roster spots simply because they were signed to a large contract is a good precedent to set?

"Come sign with the Rangers! We'll give you a large contract and you'll have no incentive to live up to it!"

Any player who isn't willing to sign with the Rangers because Wade Redden was sent down after 2 trainwreck seasons is not a player I want signing with us in the first place. Give me players who want to earn their contract, not ones who think signing one should give them the ability to coast through it.

txomisc 08-08-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey (Post 27292110)
If he gets demoted, I see him refuses it, having his contract voided then signing elsewhere cheap.

He'd have to reallllly want to be in the NHL to do that. I can't see the guy walking away from 23 million over the next 4 years even if they put him in the minors.

Dsmissed 08-08-2010 05:35 PM

Agreed.

Dsmissed 08-08-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 27291377)
Doubtful. I think the extra $3.25m in cap space would be considered more valuable than the $3.25m in real dollars saved per year to a franchise with such deep pockets.

agreed

BPD 08-08-2010 05:37 PM

Rangers wouldn't risk the recall waivers split.