HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Speculation: All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=807706)

________ 08-09-2010 12:25 AM

All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!)

First there is no need to click on the link from this.

The Stars will have a new green third jersey in 2011-2012.

There's still some stuff that will be sorted out if it will have a logo or not, but the jersey will be green.

Regarding the source.
Lobo knows who the source is and said it was fine to post.

Modo 08-09-2010 12:48 AM

Wow, that seems really early for a mere 3rd jersey announcement.

piqued 08-09-2010 02:33 AM

I might as well use this opportunity to share a concept I recently finished.

There were 2 main goals for this 3rd jersey that I sense are shared by the majority of Stars fans:

Bring back the green
...but not just any green. Personally I love the old North Stars shade of lighter green. In any discussion about the best NHL jerseys of all-time the North Stars are frequently mentioned by fans all around the league. You see a ton of people sporting them at any given game in the AAC. Now of course for a number of reasons it would be inappropriate to simply wear those particular sweaters again, but there's no reason why the team can't bring back the glorious primary color that defined them. Furthermore, it's completely unique and would be instantly identifiable as the Stars whether in person or on TV, much like the Flyers' orange is now, for example. Dark green is nice, and as you'll see I've kept it around, but the Stars have kind of been beaten to the punch by their younger cousins in Minnesota with their new baseball-script 3rds. Drab stuff is out, bold colors are in, and this fits the bill.

Bring back the logo(s)
We have a simple, elegant, timeless logo that already identifies the city and the team perfectly well. The DALLAS wordmark was an interesting idea and has proven to be a bit of a trendsetter, but in the end doesn't really belong on a professional hockey jersey and bores me more and more every time I see it. The state of Texas shoulder patch is also generally well-liked I think and is in danger of being marginalized completely with the recent changes.

So that resulted in this:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...arsconcept.jpg

The darker, or "Dallas" green still shows up in the sleeve striping, collar detail, hem, and in the logos obviously.

The black ends of the sleeves are meant to evoke the much-loved Star pattern jerseys introduced in '99. They also serve to balance the jersey with the team's black pants.

The white shoulder yoke and bottom stripe recall the simplicity of the late 60s/early 70s Minnesota designs.

The front numbers I could take or leave personally, but are included for continuity with the current set now in use.

This also optimistically assumes that Richards re-signs.

Feedback appreciated as always!

Verbal Kint 08-09-2010 02:37 AM

Piqued, wow, that's awesome! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Wouldn't mind also seeing that player in Stars uniform in 11-12... :nod:

Kritter471 08-09-2010 03:35 AM

I don't like the multiple shades of green that boldly, but I'm contrary about most things. I also find it a little overly busy. Maybe make the darker green a piping to separate the white stripes from the light green instead of its own segment? That way you work it in without so many close colors. Kill the black on the sleeves or make the bottom stripe of the jersey black. Not sure about the gold on the sleeves either.

All that said, even though it's not completely my taste, it's a nice design overall. I envy the skill with paint/photoshop/whatever. I do not think visually like that.

Ampersand 08-09-2010 03:44 AM

Really nice Piqued and I have a couple of concepts that have made myself
and will add to this thread soon
My only criticism is that it seems a little busy over all. But the watermark over the image doesn't help so maybe thats it.

PS. If it hasn't already been posted this year Dallas will be swapping their current alternate with their thirds, making the Star logo even less relevant throughout the year.
Link: http://www.icethetics.info/blog/

Stars99Lobo37 08-09-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 27298361)

Wow. That's looks awesome.

Hence why it will never be used. :(

Ampersand, I would be upset about that....but they basically did that last season (or even the season before) without it being official. I can almost guarantee they wore that "3rd jersey" more than the logo crested one.

Caseman 08-09-2010 09:12 AM

I'm not holding onto any positive expectations. It'll probably be the same deal, only green.

txomisc 08-09-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseman (Post 27299671)
I'm not holding onto any positive expectations. It'll probably be the same deal, only green.

yeah thats pretty much what I expect. Itll be green, with the same stripes. Biggest question is will it say DALLAS, STARS or have a Logo. Id say the first two are the most likely since whoevers in charge really seems to like that. So I suspect the great Stars crest will be relegated to the shoulders until someone pulls their head out of their butt and realizes the logo is a million times better than the wordmark.

Piqued IU like your design overall but Id completely eliminate the black. Or it may be better to choose a combo of black with dark green or light green with dark green but not all 3.

Karitimes 08-09-2010 10:11 AM

It goes without saying that 99.99% of hockey fans around the league would like the Stars wearing their traditional green. It's part of the identity that dates back to 67' that should never be lost because of relocation. I guarentee Dallas would have more fans if they wore green as a primary color. It catches on since everyone else is mainly blue, red or black.

Everyone has their personal opinion on what they should do when they bring the green back. I personal don't like the 'clean' emerald green as much as I like the John Deere yellowy-green, especially with the contrasting bright yellow trim. It would be the non-conservative approach, but I'd love to see it as a 3rd jersey.

Here's an idea of been mulling over:

How about a logo that combines all facets of the Northstars/Stars logo history. Instead of the old North Stars logo, put the 90s Stars logo inside a circle (like the original North Stars logo was in 67) with the recent DALLAS logo above it following the curve of the line. Throw that on a John Deere green jersey with the number in on the right chest and Texas state patch on the shoulders and you've got everything in the team logo history in play. I wish I had Piqueds graphic skills to put it together.

Karitimes 08-09-2010 10:40 AM

Attachment 40981

The attached is what I was getting at with the logo that brings in everything in the teams history. It might be a little much, but with revisions to color schemes and image sizing, I think it would be decent. I only have adobelivecycle design and I'm not great with it, so use your imagination. I think the 'DALLAS' would have to be stretched and the STARS logo shrunk down to fit appropriately within the circle. Just a brainstorm, but it combines a few different eras in the team history.

SinBinTexan 08-09-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 27298361)

awesome! I don't care for the black though.

what program did you use to make this?

piqued 08-09-2010 12:32 PM

Adobe Illustrator for the jersey itself and the numbering, Photoshop for the texturing and logo patches.

I might try one without the black since that seems to be the least popular part.

txomisc 08-09-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 27302310)
Adobe Illustrator for the jersey itself and the numbering, Photoshop for the texturing and logo patches.

I might try one without the black since that seems to be the least popular part.

Yeah if its not too difficult id like to see what it would look like if the black part of the sleeves were dark green, and if instead of the stripe at the very bottom of the jersey there was another stripe inside the white stripe.

________ 08-09-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 27297884)
Wow, that seems really early for a mere 3rd jersey announcement.

Not really, picking out the design of a jersey is a longer process then most imagine a year before is about accurate. It may even take longer in some cases.

I'm no expert on this but this is what I think the order is

Pick the color the jersey is going to be, create a few designs, then pick a design and then get the approval from NHL/Rebok.

Then at some point after that they'll give a release to Durnett/Mark or Heika.

I hope there is at least a logo in the middle of the jersey.

piqued 08-09-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritter471 (Post 27298535)
Maybe make the darker green a piping to separate the white stripes from the light green instead of its own segment? That way you work it in without so many close colors. Kill the black on the sleeves or make the bottom stripe of the jersey black. Not sure about the gold on the sleeves either.

Done. I made it a Niskanen just for you.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rsconcept2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand (Post 27298546)
My only criticism is that it seems a little busy over all.

I've removed the front numbers, hem, and watermark from both of these new concepts to reduce clutter.
Quote:

Originally Posted by txomisc (Post 27303884)
Yeah if its not too difficult id like to see what it would look like if the black part of the sleeves were dark green, and if instead of the stripe at the very bottom of the jersey there was another stripe inside the white stripe.

I wasn't quite sure what you were envisioning here so I took some liberties. The shoulder yoke is also gone in this one and the Texas patches have switched to their white versions along with the collar insert where the NHL patch is.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rsconcept3.jpg

Kritter471 08-09-2010 05:26 PM

In seeing them, I like tx's version much better. Nicely done, piqued.

vofty 08-09-2010 06:22 PM

Love it Piqued. Okay who is sending it in to the Stars? They need someone with some imagination considering they have the collective vision of a rutabaga.

SinBinTexan 08-09-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 27302310)

so you drew the outline in AI?
any way you could send me it? :)

i'd love to play around with concept jerseys.

piqued 08-09-2010 07:06 PM

I didn't draw the outline myself, I'm using a template for that. It's great because it has all the different possible Edge collar designs (lace-up etc.) included as well. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Chad_ 08-09-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 27308515)

This one is my favorite, but in my opinion the old North Stars green should be below the Dallas Stars green on the sleeves to give the sweater more balance. Oh, and bring back the white shoulders.

MB94 08-09-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 27310293)
I didn't draw the outline myself, I'm using a template for that. It's great because it has all the different possible Edge collar designs (lace-up etc.) included as well. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

I too have Photoshop so I'd love to try to make some designs! So if you don't mind if you can send it to me too. Btw I love the latest one you did the best, but if you could add the white shoulders it would look better IMO

sniperboy77 08-10-2010 09:58 AM

3rd jersey

Ive thought of this before what if you had the old North Stars jersey same color scheme but instead of the N you Put the D and find a place to have the star also!

IniNew 08-10-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniperboy77 (Post 27318303)
Ive thought of this before what if you had the old North Stars jersey same color scheme but instead of the N you Put the D and find a place to have the star also!

One I made a while ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...las_third2.jpg

However, I do think I'd prefer the Star on the other side of the D

Karitimes 08-10-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 27319300)
One I made a while ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...las_third2.jpg

However, I do think I'd prefer the Star on the other side of the D

I've liked most the designs on here so far. The pdf I did was a little busy, but how about the first Stars logo (without the small Dallas script over it) when Minnesota brought it in around 92. Then add the recent bold DALLAS script above it. I really like the tradition of the original Stars logo, but really thought the DALLAS logo is sharp too. Not that anything needs to be done to any of the logos, but I'm sure it could be combined and adjusted to look good.