HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   DDT: 8/9/10 - Manic Monday edition - Which player who doesn't start the season... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=807739)

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 07:09 AM

8/9/10 - Manic Monday edition - Which player who doesn't start the season...

As some of you may have noticed this weekend, at the bottom of the thread prefix menu for our forum is a new tag - DDT. Now we aren't here to discuss the poison by the same name, but rather I have had the tag added for a new feature I'd like to kick off today...the Daily Discussion Thread (DDT).

Much like with the GDT's, I'd like to see multiple users rotate through starting the DDT's and adding their unique twist to it. The one requirement I'm going to have for the DDT's leading up to the season is the countdown that you'll find below. Everything else is up to you. Today, I will be using a question of the day as the basis for the thread, but as long as it's related to the Predators...feel free to begin the thread in whatever fashion you wish...as long as it is in a manner that encourages discussion.

So, without further ado, today's Discussion of the Day revolves around the following question:

"Which player that doesn't start the season on the roster will have the greatest impact for the Predators this year?"

For purposes of this discussion, please limit your responses to players already in the system...

A little music while you ponder your answer...;)

Due to the vast depth that Poile has amassed at virtually every position this summer, training camp is going to be an absolute dogfight as everyone claws for a spot on the roster. Even veterans with NMC/NTC's are not assured of anything except for the fact that they are going to be in Nashville unless they ask out.

I strongly believe that while there will be several agonizingly tough decisions to make at the end of camp, that for the most part the players will sort themselves out through the internal competition and unfortunately waiver status. There will be some players that are sent down regardless of their camp, simply based on the fact that they don't have to clear waivers...

But the bottom line is this...regardless of the depth any team accumulates at the NHL level, over the course of an 82 game schedule there will be the need for players to be added to the roster from the farm. These are the players that can make or break a season. These are the players that can either step in and fill a role or simply take up space and hurt a team. We were very fortunate last season in this regard and I believe it helped get us into the playoffs.

So, again my question for discussion today is...which player that doesn't start the season on the roster will have the greatest impact for the Predators this year?

Discuss!

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 07:44 AM

No doubt, this a difficult question to answer and there are no right or wrong answers, but I think that can make for some good discussion...

There are two parts you have to consider when answering this question. First, who do you think will miss the cut for whatever reason and start the season in Milwaukee? Then, the second part of the question involves of that group, who do you think could have the biggest impact?
Let me throw some names out there for you to consider:

At forward: Nick Spaling, Cal O'Reilly, Andreas Thuresson, Blake Geoffrion, Matt Halischuk, Sergei Kostitsyn, Linus Klasen, Jamie Lundmark, a surprise candidate...

On defense: Jon Blum, Alex Sulzer, Roman Josi, Teemu Laakso, Brett Palin, someone out of the blue...

As for goalies, we have no clue who's going to backup Pekka. Rinne is the only one with a lock on a roster spot as far as I'm concerned. Does Lindback get the backup job out of camp? How about Dekanich? Maybe Pickard? Could Jeremy Smith shock the world and make the leap from ECHL to NHL in a single summer? Regardless of who starts, what if Pekka struggles or gets hurt, does someone else have to be recalled and gets a huge opportunity?

There are no right or wrong answers here and plenty of avenues in which way to take this discussion. I just wanted to throw some names out there to get things started...;)

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 07:47 AM

In case you were wondering, there are:

35 days remaining till the start of rookie camp - September 13th
39 days remaining till the start of training camp - September 17th
45 days remaining till the first preseason game - September 23rd

and...last but not least

There are 61 days remaining till the start of the regular season - October 9th

DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!!!

worstfaceoffmanever 08-09-2010 08:52 AM

Either Blum or Josi.

At first glance, I thought "DDT" stood for "Doomsday Thread," although that would fit in more with the NP.com boards.

barrytrotzsneck 08-09-2010 09:16 AM

I'll say Josi on defense to supplant Parent, who I think will be a disappointment\won't work out for us

And on forward...I'll go for Jamie Lundmark, who will have a Ward-like season, in terms of production.

PredsChik 08-09-2010 10:34 AM

SLake, I thought tc started on the 18th?

My first answer was Blum but thinking about it Blum or Josi.

TMI 08-09-2010 12:15 PM

I had the same thought, wfome.

I'm going to go with Blum. I think our defense is the biggest question mark thus providing the biggest opportunity

sighthndlady 08-09-2010 12:21 PM

I'm going with Blum, too. He doesn't have to clear waivers, so no matter how good a camp he has, he's going to Milwaukee. Especially if they decide to let Ellis have his 9 games before heading back to Windsor. Then Blum comes up with the first injury and sticks.

Of course, as others have already said, this could be true of Josi instead.

I Will Son 08-09-2010 12:59 PM

I dont see Blum or Josi starting at the big club after training camp. Who knows though they can maybe pull a Joel Ward and just steal a spot. But I see Josi doing awesome things for us once he gets his chance. That kid has got some serious skill

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsChik20 (Post 27300620)
SLake, I thought tc started on the 18th?

My first answer was Blum but thinking about it Blum or Josi.

Training camp officially begins on the 17th with physicals and on-ice testing. The first public skate is on the 18th, which ultimately...is probably better to count down too...;)

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 01:20 PM

I'm actually going to go with Linus Klasen. He showed great skill at prospect camp last month and has been playing against men in the SEL for three years already having been also named captain of his team last year at the age of 23.

I don't believe he will start the year with the Predators based on the fact that I'm sure there will be some areas of his game to work on, but also primarily due to his waiver exemption from being on his first NHL contract.

As soon as a opening occurs for a scoring line winger, I think it'll be Klasen that gets the call and I just have a feeling that he will take full advantage of the opportunity...

Really reminds me of Kris Versteeg in a lot of ways. Wouldn't mind having one of those on our roster...

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 27299717)
And on forward...I'll go for Jamie Lundmark, who will have a Ward-like season, in terms of production.

I have a good feeling about the Lundmark signing myself. Jamie really appears to fit the mold of a BT type of player. Hard working, defensively responsible, isn't afraid to battle and go to the tough areas.

Lundmark, like Legwand, hasn't fulfilled the offensive expectations foisted upon him in his draft year, but has continually matured his game and carved out a niche for himself in the league with two-way play and a little offense to complete the package...

I really believe that the Lundmark signing was this year's version of Ben Guite who was brought in to provide a veteran depth player last season after the loss of Nichol, Fiddler, and Ortmeyer, but just didn't pan out...

glenngineer 08-09-2010 02:06 PM

Blum and Josi.

Webersmashpuck 08-09-2010 02:26 PM

Personally I don't think any minor league defensemen will really make an impact this year. Parent has an injury prone label attached to him and I think that he will play a good amount of games this year. I think Sulzer will make the team as the 7th defender and fill in for any injuries and Blum and Josi will play but just get a taste and be heavily protected.

I think the biggest impact will go to Nick Spaling. He has proven himself as a dependable player and I think with that he will gain the icetime to actually make an impact.

kivaerijo 08-09-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 27303041)
I'm actually going to go with Linus Klasen. He showed great skill at prospect camp last month and has been playing against men in the SEL for three years already having been also named captain of his team last year at the age of 23.

I don't believe he will start the year with the Predators based on the fact that I'm sure there will be some areas of his game to work on, but also primarily due to his waiver exemption from being on his first NHL contract.

As soon as a opening occurs for a scoring line winger, I think it'll be Klasen that gets the call and I just have a feeling that he will take full advantage of the opportunity...

Really reminds me of Kris Versteeg in a lot of ways. Wouldn't mind having one of those on our roster...

i am with you on this. think he is going to look good, but is his defensive game up to par for trotz? i dont think so, but i dont know if i really care. just let a guy or two play with their instincts out there.

and my darkhorse or hopeful is thuresson. just like pihlstrom...i like the way thuresson plays and hope the best for him

Seth Lake 08-09-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kivaerijo (Post 27305474)
i am with you on this. think he is going to look good, but is his defensive game up to par for trotz? i dont think so, but i dont know if i really care. just let a guy or two play with their instincts out there.

and my darkhorse or hopeful is thuresson. just like pihlstrom...i like the way thuresson plays and hope the best for him

Exactly, I think it's imperative to Klasen to show that he is at least as defensively responsible as Radulov was in order to really put himself in line to get the first call-up if/when injuries strike.

Thuresson is someone that really impressed me at his first camp, sorta faded into the background a bit in his second, but impressed again last year in camp and the preseason enough to warrant a recall earlier in the year where I thought he did well, but struggled to maintain the consistency needed for a full-time roster spot. Even though he will be exposed to waivers this year to go back to Milwaukee, I think Andreas needs an additional year in Milwaukee in a scoring line supporting role before making a full-time push for the roster next season. Definitely a guy you could see recalled later in the year and never sent back again...

darth5 08-09-2010 05:44 PM

Like the others I do not think the player to watch is in goal. I think the player we will notice the most will be a d-man for two reasons:
a) this club knows how to scout and develop them
b) we are stocked to the gills with them

Now having said that, which one do I pick? The odds on favorite would be Blum with Josi as the dark horse. I think it Blum's time has come. That does not mean Josi will not get his turn to shine, just that one of the two will make a longer term impact on the season. I think they both have great potential and frankly I see Sulzer as the odd man out-- I think his opportunity has slipped away.

TheNextOneX 08-13-2010 06:32 AM

Josi and Ellis make the team. Blum and Wilson back to Milwaukee...

lstcyr 08-13-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNextOneX (Post 27362823)
Josi and Ellis make the team. Blum and Wilson back to Milwaukee...

Colin Wilson will only see Milwaukee again if he's injured someday in the future and has to work his way back into shape.