HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Line Combos: Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - Third Line Left Wing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=808108)

Inferno 08-10-2010 04:00 AM

Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - Third Line Left Wing

Alexander Frolov (51.49%) - Erik Christensen (54.08%) - Marian Gaborik (100%)
Brandon Dubinsky (80.33%) - Artem Anisimov (67.16%) - Mats Zuccarello-Aasen (68.57%)
Third Line Left Wing - Third Line Center - Third Line Right Wing
Fourth Line Left Wing - Fourth Line Center - Fourth Line Right Wing
Backup Forward

Marc Staal (100%) - First Pairing Defenseman
Second Pairing Defenseman - Second Pairing Defenseman
Third Pairing Defenseman - Third Pairing Defenseman

Henrik Lundqvist (100%)
Martin Biron (100%)

Inferno 08-10-2010 04:02 AM

went Prospal. Best way to spread the offense around imho is to have him on the 3rd line....and id flip flop Dubi and Frolov also if it were me.

mike14 08-10-2010 04:22 AM

Went with Vinny as well, think that Prospal-Drury-Callahan could be a damn good 3rd line. I'm torn as to whether Frolov and Dubi should be switched or not. It makes sense from a 'spread the scoring' point of view' but for some unknown reason it just doesn't seem right.

RESPECT THE SHIELD10 08-10-2010 05:13 AM

I said Avery, but I like your guys' reasoning for prospal. Oh well too late now

BrooklynRangersFan 08-10-2010 05:41 AM

Prospal for all the reasons listed above - and because practically speaking it is the only rational spot left to put him when you consider all the other players on the roster.

As to Dubi/Frolov, I get your points on spreading out the scoring, but I think that Dubi makes more sense than Frolov with AA based on style of play. So, it comes down to two legitimate strategic considerations that point in divergent directions. I go with Dubi on AA's wing because of his stated preference for big players who aren't afraid to mix it up who will back him up if he takes it to the net. I think this'll make Anisimov a more dangerous player and, in turn, will help to create a more successful second scoring line that will logically then produce the same effect you guys would be hoping to achieve by moving Frolov away from Gabby (distributing scoring throughout the lineup) anyway.

UAGoalieGuy 08-10-2010 06:46 AM

If these are what the lines look like this season, and if MZA plays well, the Rangers will be pretty strong down the wings.

Frolov, Dubinsky, Prospal, Avery on the LW. Gaborik, MZA, Callahan, Prust on the RW. Just weak down the middle, but some solid depth down the wings, much better then last season.

bettercallstaal 08-10-2010 07:37 AM

Well... There's no way Prospal is a 4th liner. I still think he should've been on the second line but oh well.

donpaulo 08-10-2010 08:00 AM

prospal is the "best" of the "rest"

I think Frolov and Dubinsky will be moving back and forth and could quite likely end up with similar ice times when all is said and done.

Blazephr 08-10-2010 08:28 AM

i just don't see Avery anywhere but on the 3rd line. he wont be as effective as a 4th liner. Prospal will have to fill in elsewhere.

ruckus* 08-10-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 27316169)
went Prospal. Best way to spread the offense around imho is to have him on the 3rd line....and id flip flop Dubi and Frolov also if it were me.

Agreed. I like the way this is shaping up. It's how I'd do it. Wouldn't mind flipping those two either.

Now throw Dru and Cally next to Vin, flop Avery between Boogie and Prust and we go.

Actually I'd like Weise wit Aves and Prust but since that's not gonna happen I'll live.

Will be an interesting camp.

ruckus* 08-10-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazephr (Post 27316933)
i just don't see Avery anywhere but on the 3rd line. he wont be as effective as a 4th liner. Prospal will have to fill in elsewhere.

I don't think it's ideal for him but at this point with the way the roster is shaping up it looks like Sean will be a 4th liner who gets mixed and matched with lines throughout the game. That's how I see it. Torts will throw him in with lines that are struggling to try and bring some life.

darko 08-10-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazephr (Post 27316933)

As soon as someone from top-6 gets injured Prospal will move up and Avery can then go on 3rd line with Drury and Callahan.

I do agree with people that said that Prospal should be in top-6. Unfortunately there is no room for him and that's a good thing. Playing a top-6 guy on 3rd line is much better than playing a 3rd liner in top-6.

offdacrossbar 08-10-2010 09:09 AM

sean avery.

would still like to see dubinsky here as i say brandon is perfect for the 3rd line but given the results, gotta go sean.

no matter what anyone says about avery, his skills are way underrated. hes got the talent to play on line 2 but hes still hamstrung by the "avery rule". his skating is very good, he has good hands and a very strong wrist shot.

i have no problem whatsoever having our 3rd line be sean avery, capt quaalude and ryan callahan. thats actually not a bad line 3. assuming, that is, that capt quaalude can play some better hockey than last year.

ruckus* 08-10-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 27317181)
sean avery.

would still like to see dubinsky here as i say brandon is perfect for the 3rd line but given the results, gotta go sean.

no matter what anyone says about avery, his skills are way underrated. hes got the talent to play on line 2 but hes still hamstrung by the "avery rule". his skating is very good, he has good hands and a very strong wrist shot.

i have no problem whatsoever having our 3rd line be sean avery, capt quaalude and ryan callahan. thats actually not a bad line 3. assuming, that is, that capt quaalude can play some better hockey than last year.

I agree that Aves/Dru/Cally would be a great line. Sean is underrated but I don't think he's got great hands by any means. I mean, they're better than Cally's but that's not saying much! :sarcasm:

Like I said I think Aves will be bounced around a lot this year. Everyone will knock him, and then for long stretches he'll be the guy who energizes and ignites a line that'll play the best over a stretch of time.

offdacrossbar 08-10-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 27317536)
I agree that Aves/Dru/Cally would be a great line. Sean is underrated but I don't think he's got great hands by any means. I mean, they're better than Cally's but that's not saying much! :sarcasm:

Like I said I think Aves will be bounced around a lot this year. Everyone will knock him, and then for long stretches he'll be the guy who energizes and ignites a line that'll play the best over a stretch of time.

yeah well i said good hands not great. he doesnt have great anything.

hes kind of a d1ck but sean does have skills. when hes playing well, hes very effective at creating chaos and when hes skating, hes an offensive threat.

i have always been an avery guy. i happen to like oddballs and characters- as long as they have talent. i do not like guys like capt quaalude for the same reason. i prefer hockey players who play all out and show some spunk- even if they have flaws. avery had a down year last year but again, i blame most of that on torts the clown.

i expect sean avery to have a very good bounce back year this year as long as he isnt singled out by the refs and he gets regular minutes on one of the top 3 lines.

ruckus* 08-10-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 27317899)
yeah well i said good hands not great. he doesnt have great anything.

hes kind of a d1ck but sean does have skills. when hes playing well, hes very effective at creating chaos and when hes skating, hes an offensive threat.

i have always been an avery guy. i happen to like oddballs and characters- as long as they have talent. i do not like guys like capt quaalude for the same reason. i prefer hockey players who play all out and show some spunk- even if they have flaws. avery had a down year last year but again, i blame most of that on torts the clown.

i expect sean avery to have a very good bounce back year this year as long as he isnt singled out by the refs and he gets regular minutes on one of the top 3 lines.

I agree with all of that.

I find it hard looking at the log jam though how he fits on the top three lines. Unless we're assuming MZA isn't on the team, which I'm not going to do cause I think they brought him here to play. Or if you're assuming someone like Christensen or Prospal isn't making the team.

I just don't see any way he's on the top 3 lines.

I do believe he'll be the guy who flops around a lot and plays with other lines and gets things going.

But I do also think that Torts will bury him as soon as he takes a goalie interference call for being 3 feet outside the crease and shoved by multiple defenseman as the goaltender comes five feet out of his net.

Then Torts will rant in the post game about how he needs to be more disciplined, all the while clamoring for Sean to play his game.

Yawn. And so it goes on..

vipernsx 08-10-2010 10:36 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooo VP at LW means Cap'n Clutch has a fighting chance at 3rd line pivot.

Avery....it's gotta be avery.

mullichicken25 08-10-2010 10:43 AM

i think vinny is going to dance all around the line up this season...he'll be the team's wildcard, plug and play, type of guy i think

he'll spend time at 3rd line LW, 1st liner center, 2nd line LW, 1st line LW, and 2nd line center
(i put the in order of how much time i think he'll spend at each spot, most to least)

ruckus* 08-10-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipernsx (Post 27318061)
Nooooooooooooooooooooo VP at LW means Cap'n Clutch has a fighting chance at 3rd line pivot.

Avery....it's gotta be avery.

You're thinking with your heart and not with your head.

I can't see Dru starting the season on the fourth line.

Maybe as the year goes on, but that would mean he's having another atrocious season, which wouldn't be good for us.

BrooklynRangersFan 08-10-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 27318135)
i think vinny is going to dance all around the line up this season...he'll be the team's wildcard, plug and play, type of guy i think

he'll spend time at 3rd line LW, 1st liner center, 2nd line LW, 1st line LW, and 2nd line center
(i put the in order of how much time i think he'll spend at each spot, most to least)

I'd agree with this - which means for the purposes of this exercise, 3rd line LW is appropriate, no?

Son of Steinbrenner 08-10-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 27318634)
I'd agree with this - which means for the purposes of this exercise, 3rd line LW is appropriate, no?

Which is why this "exercise" is pointless.

Torts doesn't have set lines and all this is amounts to is filing out the obvious depth chart of where guys SHOULD be...Not where they WILL be......

It's funny....Every offseason we post lines and as soon as opening night comes they don't matter...Every offseason we have these pointless polls about where guys should be in the lineup...Come Novemeber when guys are all over the lineup it doesn't matter. The best part is when YOU argue about where Anismov should play and in reality he will most likely play all 4 center spots during the year....

Somebody explain to me what the point is of these threads.....

XLJ 08-10-2010 11:39 AM

Avery-Prospal-Callahan as the third line. Move the captain to the 4th line where he belongs.

mullichicken25 08-10-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 27318634)

yes, in my opinion

thats was my vote at least

BlueshirtBlitz 08-10-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 27318768)
Which is why this "exercise" is pointless.

Torts doesn't have set lines and all this is amounts to is filing out the obvious depth chart of where guys SHOULD be...Not where they WILL be......

It's funny....Every offseason we post lines and as soon as opening night comes they don't matter...Every offseason we have these pointless polls about where guys should be in the lineup...Come Novemeber when guys are all over the lineup it doesn't matter. The best part is when YOU argue about where Anismov should play and in reality he will most likely play all 4 center spots during the year....

Somebody explain to me what the point is of these threads.....

What else are we supposed to discuss as Rangers fans at this point in time?

Speculation creates interesting conversations.

RangerFan10 08-10-2010 01:23 PM

Avery. Put Prospal at Center.