HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   My Custom Pants, Need Help... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=808492)

Wease 08-11-2010 09:15 AM

My Custom Pants, Need Help...

I'm all about light weight equipment in Adult League / Drop In. My current pants are some Mission pants, I literally took them from someone throwing them out. The grommets were worn out and the inner pads were coming out. I saw that as an opportunity to make some nice, light weight pants. I pulled those inner pads out (mostly the hip and kidney pads) and then tied some suspenders to the holes where the grommets used to be. So now I've got pants that are kind of like a shell, with just the thigh pads being the only major protection remaining. Very light weight and they look like legit pants.

However...

I've lost so much weight now that these pants (XL's) just don't fit anymore. They hang down too low. So I need to make some new ones. My question is: Can I do this with most any pants? Take a used pair and remove those inner pads? I really like how my current ones fit and work for me, so I'd love to do the same thing with just a smaller pair, however I might not be able to find the same Mission pants... :(

Jarick 08-11-2010 09:52 AM

You can modify just about any pants as you like. But check out the Vapor series pants, they have very little protection and are light as a feather. I'm selling some in medium but you probably need a large.

Wease 08-11-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27332896)
You can modify just about any pants as you like. But check out the Vapor series pants, they have very little protection and are light as a feather. I'm selling some in medium but you probably need a large.

Are you talking about this model?

ChiTownHawks 08-11-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27332896)

What model and price?

Jarick 08-11-2010 02:35 PM

I actually had the XXV's (similar to the X:40's), but if you don't want any padding at all, the 20's would probably be a good bet. The 40's have much better hip/tailbone/back padding although there's still very little on the legs aside from the thigh pieces.

Wease 08-11-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27336981)
I actually had the XXV's (similar to the X:40's), but if you don't want any padding at all, the 20's would probably be a good bet. The 40's have much better hip/tailbone/back padding although there's still very little on the legs aside from the thigh pieces.

Thanks, I'll check them out the next time I'm at my local hockey store.

If I can truly modify any pant like that, I might start looking at a cheap used pair as well... :)

Jarick 08-11-2010 03:08 PM

Another option would be to get a Bauer MBP style girdle (like the One90/95) and remove the pads then wear a shell over them. They're already super light weight and all the pads are removable. Take out what you don't want and leave the rest in...no surgery necessary.

Wease 08-18-2010 10:57 PM

So I stopped off at Play It Again Sports today, they had a Medium sized, used CCM pant, looked brand new. I'm right on the edge of fitting into a medium sized pant (my waist is between 34 and 36 and these are supposed to fit 32-34), so I figured what the heck, they are only $25.

So, got them home, cut out all the pads and flaps (other than the main thigh pad) and wore them tonight at a Drop In. It's odd wearing something that fits me so tight, but they surely don't hang low or off of me like my old pair did. I think they'll loosen up a bit after I wear them some more, but I really like them. And they don't weigh much to begin with, less now that I modified them... :)

edgevolution 08-19-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wease (Post 27441333)
So I stopped off at Play It Again Sports today, they had a Medium sized, used CCM pant, looked brand new. I'm right on the edge of fitting into a medium sized pant (my waist is between 34 and 36 and these are supposed to fit 32-34), so I figured what the heck, they are only $25.

So, got them home, cut out all the pads and flaps (other than the main thigh pad) and wore them tonight at a Drop In. It's odd wearing something that fits me so tight, but they surely don't hang low or off of me like my old pair did. I think they'll loosen up a bit after I wear them some more, but I really like them. And they don't weigh much to begin with, less now that I modified them... :)

Sounds dangerous, lol :laugh: