HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: How do you feel about the Habs roster for 2010/2011? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=810026)

BigHabs 08-16-2010 08:35 AM

How do you feel about the Habs roster for 2010/2011?
 
I dont know about other people, but I find this year is the first year in awhile, that I feel really good about or roster and we have alittle bit of everything.

Youth
Grit
Size
Speed
2 good top 6 centers.
1st and 2nd line have chemistry and will be awesome I think if we keep atleast 80% of the season healthy
3rd line is pretty solid
4th line is solid as well, lots of chemistry from last year

Goaltending once signed, we will have a good tandem
Defense, I found we got some more youth and mobility on the backend plus keeping the vets

Overall I like what Gauthier has done with the few signings he has done. I think if healthy the Habs will be a threat in the East, just my opinion.

What do you guys think? You think our line up is pretty much complete and will be battling in the East? Do you think our line up is good and do you feel good about it?

Like I said its been a few years now since going into a season where I actually felt good about our roster prior to the start of a season. Years before you could point out something that needed to be changed, Something we lacked, or Something we needed. I think we brought in alot of youth for our forwards. Backend we have add Subban and Picard along with Gorges. I think its just a great lineup all around.

JayBee* 08-16-2010 08:55 AM

I think the board knows what I think.

gusfring 08-16-2010 09:19 AM

Right now, it's a pretty average team.

coolasprICE 08-16-2010 09:20 AM

IF Price chokes and Eller does not put up Calder like numbers it's going to be a long and painful year for us hab fans me think

Price is a number 1 -- just not so convinced that it will be with the Habs. He simply is not built for Montreal. Hope I'm wrong but I'm smelling disaster.

He won't get shipped either, so his confidence will likely suffer with each passing game. He'll get less starts after christmas.

Auld will get more starts but not in hope of locking down a playoff spot but for the sake of protecting Price...


All this said, if Eller proves to be a top 6 center than we can look forward to a better future by having the most expensive 3rd liner in NHL history in Gomez. But I'm not expecting a Calder-like drive for Eller this year...

Markov is also a huge question mark -- I'm not expecting him to look any quicker than last year (where he looked noticeably slower).

Stjonnypopo 08-16-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 27402943)
IF Price chokes and Eller does not put up Calder like numbers it's going to be a long and painful year for us hab fans me think

Price is a number 1 -- just not so convinced that it will be with the Habs. He simply is not built for Montreal. Hope I'm wrong but I'm smelling disaster.

He won't get shipped either, so his confidence will likely suffer with each passing game. He'll get less starts after christmas.

Auld will get more starts but not in hope of locking down a playoff spot but for the sake of protecting Price...


All this said, if Eller proves to be a top 6 center than we can look forward to a better future by having the most expensive 3rd liner in NHL history in Gomez. But I'm not expecting a Calder-like drive for Eller this year...

Markov is also a huge question mark -- I'm not expecting him to look any quicker than last year (where he looked noticeably slower).

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

We had so much hope in our rookies, and we added another promising one, but we still have doubts. I'm worried, just like you are, about our crucial players not performing the way they should be, but we're getting worried because everything keeps being over-analyzed. The Montreal media, the online bloggers, everyone keeps saying that everything depends on price, they keep bringing him up and making it seem as if we're gonna be totally screwed when hits a few bumps. I'm not expecting the world, but we need to have some optimism!!

Patty Roy 08-16-2010 09:32 AM

It's an average team...i expect that best case we will battle for 6th/7th in the conference. Most likely we squeek into the playoffs, worst case we finish 10th/11th.

The goaltending is a question mark. Could be great, could be trouble. I like our defence, but i think we missed the boat and should have found a new home for Hamrlik.

If our key forwards can stay healthy, and if AK/Pouliot step up we should have a nice group of forwards. I like Eller/Boyd over Metro/Moore, however this team still desperately needs to add some sandpaper to its bottom six. I don't understand Gauthier's reluctance to do this.

Bottom line, i like this team better than last years, but not by much. Should be another grind.

Stiffler 08-16-2010 09:45 AM

I think we are a very average team that will somehow find a way to battle for the 8th playoff seed... Again...

Gionta was on route for his second best NHL season; a new trend for him or a personal high that he won't be able to reach again?

Eller, Pacioretty, Subban, Maxwell, White, Pyatt have never played a full NHL season, yet some of them will have to play key roles for us... Will all of them succeed as hoped? Subban especially will have to replace Markov once again for a certain period of time...

I am a big fan of Carey Price but he just didn't show enough consistency not to be worried about his performance this season...

If Cammalleri and/or Gionta go down for an extended period of time, who will step up? Will A-K play better without S-K around? Will Pouliot finally put it all together and play up to his potential? If not, where's our offensive depth? Eller?

Will Subban adequately replace Bergeron's shot on the power play? Being a smaller team, we absolutely need to take advantage of the power play, and the cannonball from the blue line is crucial...

I don't only see negatives, but those are question marks I feel could make or break the team. I like the coaching staff, the defensive core, the center line if Eller plays a 50 points + year, the fact that our money has been invested on key players instead of being spread over 4 lines... But I believe we will be fighting once again for a playoff spot, no more, no less.

AntonCH 08-16-2010 09:47 AM

Hard to answer the OP until the roster is set
that being said, I like the nucleus of this team, and the youth being brought up/in

And for all the analyzing and soul searching, the only thing that will determine where we end up is the man games lost to injury

Subban76 08-16-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee (Post 27402775)
I think the board knows what I think.

lol...good one!

lamp9post 08-16-2010 09:48 AM

Well, I'm excited to see how the youth does. However, I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of experience in our bottom 6. I would be more comfortable if we re-signed Metropolit as an extra forward instead of Darche; I feel he would be a good mentor for Eller/Boyd and challenge them for icetime. Luckily, our top 2 centres, Gomez and Plekanec are very good defensively and on the PK, so hopefully that means that Eller/Boyd are insulated in terms of defensive responsibility. We really need A.K. and Pouliot to be solid compliments to their lines.

I'm not too concerned about our D. Lots of experience and depth. If Hamrlik plays like well in his contract year, our D will be above average.

Price's play will really determine how successful we are this year.

Subban76 08-16-2010 09:59 AM

Can't explain why, but I have a very good feeling about this season.

The team made the playoffs last year and this team is better in my eyes because:

- chemistry and system of play are already there vs. last year where everything was new and it took a long time for the team to gel
- we should have less key injuries this year as we were seriously hurt last year (2nd most in the eastern conference)
- defense is strong with the addition of Subban and an healty Markov for most of the season (and Spacek is now used to playing on the right side as is game was much better at the end of the season vs. the beginning)
- forwards are very similar, except I prefer Pouliot for a full season over the revolving door we had last year and Eller as a 3rd line center over the other revolving door we had

The 3 key guys that could make us finish first in our division are the 3 kids: Price, Subban and Eller. If they do well, the Habs will de a good team. I'm not worried about the other guys production.

BigHabs 08-16-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiffler (Post 27403176)
I think we are a very average team that will somehow find a way to battle for the 8th playoff seed... Again...

Gionta was on route for his second best NHL season; a new trend for him or a personal high that he won't be able to reach again?

Eller, Pacioretty, Subban, Maxwell, White, Pyatt have never played a full NHL season, yet some of them will have to play key roles for us... Will all of them succeed as hoped? Subban especially will have to replace Markov once again for a certain period of time...

I am a big fan of Carey Price but he just didn't show enough consistency not to be worried about his performance this season...

If Cammalleri and/or Gionta go down for an extended period of time, who will step up? Will A-K play better without S-K around? Will Pouliot finally put it all together and play up to his potential? If not, where's our offensive depth? Eller?

Will Subban adequately replace Bergeron's shot on the power play? Being a smaller team, we absolutely need to take advantage of the power play, and the cannonball from the blue line is crucial...

I don't only see negatives, but those are question marks I feel could make or break the team. I like the coaching staff, the defensive core, the center line if Eller plays a 50 points + year, the fact that our money has been invested on key players instead of being spread over 4 lines... But I believe we will be fighting once again for a playoff spot, no more, no less.

Thats the same for everyteam. Look at Toronto last year, they they though it was going to be a decent season and they went 0-7 in the first 7 games, which was a huge blow to them. Tampa was suppose to turn it around and didn't, another non playoff team. Every team in the league has those risks and its either stuff happens or it doesn't and how they play and how they don't.

Every team goes through this evaluation.

swimmer77 08-16-2010 10:14 AM

Overall I like the roster when compared to recent years.

Forwards: the Habs are strong at the center position. Good experience with two way ability mixed in with some youth at the bottom. Chicago seemingly built their team around strength down the middle. The wingers I can't get as excited about unless a couple of players display their skillsets with some more consistency. Overall though I like the forwards.

Defence: another nice blend of veteran experience with some youth. My main concern here is once again Markov - how much time will he miss and how effective will he be once back? While he's missing I'm hoping the minutes are not so one sided that the Habs wear out a couple of players in particular. Some others need to step up from the get go instead of waiting for the playoffs. Subban will hopefully take the place of Bergeron and a lot more - offensively I'm not concerned but defensively there could be some question marks.

Penalty killing: the Habs have some good ones up front and on the blueline. I'm excited about Pyatt - he just seemed to make some key, subtle plays and his speed is deceiving IMO.

Powerplay: somewhat of a concern with Markov missing and the big, booming shot missing. The Habs have some guys who can shoot but don't seem willing (Hamrlik) or can't hit the net (Spacek). Subban's effectiveness is unknown.

Goalie: Price's performance doesn't concern me too much as I thought he was stellar in a lot of his starts. And he can't possibly have the same luck.

Coaching: a year of experience with the same roster could go a long way. Coach(es) tended to lean on the same players too much and it cost some playoff performances.

I'm an optimist though. I like the roster but things will change due to injury and players either exceeding expectations or underperforming. So here we go again.

Garry Valk 08-16-2010 10:23 AM

I like the Habs chances. More mature, more talent, bigger. But it all rests of Price.

Saw this earlier this am, good quick take on prospects for the season:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...11_news_notes/

417 08-16-2010 10:30 AM

The key, as it is with MOST NHL teams, is for the Habs to remain healthy.

They can't go through another year where their key players miss large chunks of the season like last year. As long as they can get 70+ games out of their core players, the Habs have enough talent to challenge for ANY of the 8 spots up for grabs in the playoffs.

alexstream 08-16-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblor506 (Post 27402669)
I dont know about other people, but I find this year is the first year in awhile, that I feel really good about or roster and we have alittle bit of everything.

Youth
Grit
Size
Speed
2 good top 6 centers.
1st and 2nd line have chemistry and will be awesome I think if we keep atleast 80% of the season healthy
3rd line is pretty solid
4th line is solid as well, lots of chemistry from last year

Goaltending once signed, we will have a good tandem
Defense, I found we got some more youth and mobility on the backend plus keeping the vets

Overall I like what Gauthier has done with the few signings he has done. I think if healthy the Habs will be a threat in the East, just my opinion.

What do you guys think? You think our line up is pretty much complete and will be battling in the East? Do you think our line up is good and do you feel good about it?

Like I said its been a few years now since going into a season where I actually felt good about our roster prior to the start of a season. Years before you could point out something that needed to be changed, Something we lacked, or Something we needed. I think we brought in alot of youth for our forwards. Backend we have add Subban and Picard along with Gorges. I think its just a great lineup all around.

Our team is borderline excellent.
Imagine when we'll have 5.75M$ more to spend next season and imagine if A.Kost or B. Pou either bust or explode (any would do, if they bust, bye bye, we replace by whoever... Guerin? etc. it's all good! if they explode though, it's even better... worst thing they can do is remain question marks)
:)

417 08-16-2010 10:48 AM

There seems to always be a 'glass half empty' feeling from Habs fans...too many people in the media have brainwashed Habs fans into thinking that just fighting for
7th or 8th spot is all we should hope for as fans.

This team has talent, you never know who can break out or who can have a career year, etc....this is the time of the year where every fan from every team should be beaming with optimism. I've never seen a fanbase be so down after a deep playoff run....I know last years playoff run was unexpected and there was probably an element of overachieving, nevertheless, if anything, it should show Habs fans that this team can accomplish big things.

Blind Gardien 08-16-2010 10:54 AM

I like the team. I don't see how you look at it on paper and avoid the fighting-for-7th-or-8th prediction though. But there is youth, energy, leadership, and we can dare to hope that some of it all breaks out to exceed that baseline.

I think in the modern NHL that's about all a fan of any team can realistically ASK for, actually. Sure, some teams manage to boost themselves into more elite expectations. But that's hard to achieve. We're in a reasonable spot. Not different maybe from 10-20 other teams in the league. Waiting to see how things pan out with young players, injuries, chemistry, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Some of the teams in this group are going to overachieve and give their fans more. Maybe we can be one.

DogsFan* 08-16-2010 10:56 AM

I feel pretty good. Secondary scoring was a huge issue last year, now I feel we have 4 solid lines.

NLHabsFan 08-16-2010 11:19 AM

I think this team could do very well this season. They need to have better luck on the injury front than last season. IMO in the East there are Washinton, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia as the top 3 teams. I think the Habs are just as good or better than the other 11.

coolasprICE 08-16-2010 11:22 AM

I find it amusing that with each passing post the optimism increases ever so slightly... just a few more pages until someone writes the word "Contender".

Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill are getting older, not younger. You can probably throw in Markov's name in there too who looked older last year and considering his injury will continue in that direction. So that's 4 players who should decline or stay the same. It'll be countered with PK Subban's development. O'byrne and Gorges will stay about the same, give or take a bit. So all in all, the D is more or less the same caliber as last years.

And goaltending we're worse.

Have we gotten better up front? Is it all on Eller now? Nice that there's all this load for Eller to jump into..... :sarcasm:

I can see him and Price struggling early on:nod: .... it's gonna get ugly I tell ya!:nod::nod::nod::nod:

ScottFC 08-16-2010 11:22 AM

Going on the books here by saying Habs are finishing top 5 in the east this season and I have no doubth about it..

Blind Gardien 08-16-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 27404113)
Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill are getting older, not younger. You can probably throw in Markov's name in there too who looked older last year and considering his injury will continue in that direction. So that's 4 players who should decline or stay the same.

No they shouldn't! Decline isn't automatic. Especially if you dare to hope that there were other factors involved in their dropoffs last year. A full season of Markov trumps half a season, even with any decline he might have at his age. Hamrlik already showed there's not a direct correlation to age... he was great for a season, then declined for a season, then was good again then declined again in the same season... He's due for good again. :) Spacek had a bunch of issues. Gill settled in and the last we saw of him he was huge for us in the playoffs. Maybe they'll all be BETTER. :)

Quote:

It'll be countered with PK Subban's development. O'byrne and Gorges will stay about the same, give or take a bit. So all in all, the D is more or less the same caliber as last years.
Should all be better.
Quote:

And goaltending we're worse.
But it's not impossible Price could do as well as Halak. We doubt, with reason. But it could happen... :)
Quote:

Have we gotten better up front? Is it all on Eller now?
We look worse up front to me to the tune of one Dominic Moore. Which isn't huge. So yeah, the potential/wishful thinking/etc elements provided by Eller, also Boyd, Pouliot, Kostitsyn rebounding, etc can make us at least hope for a better year up front too. A healthy Cammalleri&Gomez... it's out there...

And I'm supposed to be the pessimist... :rant:

Lars Eller Superstar* 08-16-2010 12:19 PM

poor / average team

too many question marks :

Pouliot
AK
Eller
Price
Subban

Markov out till december

RussCourtnallsGhost 08-16-2010 12:19 PM

The 2 biggest factors for me this year are:
1) P.K. Subban

I believe P.K.'s explosiveness and speed is going to change the way other teams play against us.

2) Injuries

Last year was pretty awful for injuries to our key players; if we manage to avoid them I think we can battle for tops in our division.


My wildcards are Eller and Price. If either one has a great season it could really put us over the top.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.