HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Prospect Info: Jani Hakanpaa...Jarmo's biggest steal? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=810871)

Stealth JD 08-18-2010 06:39 PM

Jani Hakanpaa...Jarmo's biggest steal?

How about this kid? 6'5", 220 lbs, great skater for his size and decent puck skills. Despite having only seen him in video clips and 1 game at the WJC, I'm very impressed with his potential...much more so than Brett Ponich actually.

I'd be curious to see if any of our Finnish posters would give their opinion of him, as I think he's gonna surprise and make the Blues roster at some point. Guys like Fairchild, Berglund & Warsofsky are good to have in the system for depth...but I'd be surprised if any became NHL'ers (yes, I know Warsofsky was traded to BOS)...but this kid has the makings of a monster (cue Pierre McGuire clips), possessing tremendous upside...you can't teach size. He's hardly a lumbering idiot out on the ice and knows what to do on the opponents side of the red line. I'm very excited to follow his progression in the coming seasons. Anyone else?

(BTW...I'm not claiming to know everything about Hakanpaa...but figured he deserved his own thread - a place where we could get to know everything about our 2010 4th rounder.)

Randall Ritchey 08-18-2010 06:46 PM

He is intriguing for sure. I can't wait to see more from him, but we wont see him in the N.A. for at least another year. If not longer.
It sucks, but I guess we need to find some links to Finnish games.

Cheli 08-18-2010 07:25 PM

HF's little blurb on him:

Quote:

In a country with so many small, slick-skating, offensive-minded defensemen Hakanpaa stands out simply because of his size. But after he spent the season playing in Finland's second junior league few knew what to expect when he joined Team Finland for the World U-18 Championships.

"He's obviously a good sized kid," said a coach who saw him in person for the first time at the Vierumaki prospect camp in June. "He's not the smoothest skater and his puck handling skills are a bit rough around the edges. But he's got good potential."

Hakanpaa seemed to handle the adjustment to a higher talent level playing in Belarus with the U-18 team - being recognized as a top three player on his team and also registering one goal and an assist in six games for the bronze medal-winning squad. He will have the chance to be tested again this fall when he moves up to SM-Liiga juniors with Espoo. Hakanpaa was ranked 55th among European skaters by CS.
Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...for2010_draft/

Prussian_Blue 08-19-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth JD (Post 27438962)
How about this kid? 6'5", 220 lbs, great skater for his size and decent puck skills ... tremendous upside...you can't teach size. He's hardly a lumbering idiot out on the ice and knows what to do on the opponents side of the red line. I'm very excited to follow his progression in the coming seasons. Anyone else?

Oh, yes... I'll be checking the Finnish websites frequently for links and info on this kid. I can't read Finnish at all, other than to know that "malavahti" = "goaltender," but I can make inferences from the context in some cases.

The Saw Is the Law 08-29-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth JD (Post 27438962)
How about this kid? 6'5", 220 lbs. I'm very excited to follow his progression in the coming seasons. Anyone else?

I'm also very excited about Jani Hakanpää. Finland have lack of defensive defencemen and lack of big players. This is both!

Next year Hakanpää will play in Blues. Not St. Louis Blues but Blues from Espoo, Finland. Sounds good? :laugh:

frankielax 08-29-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law (Post 27571098)
I'm also very excited about Jani Hakanpää. Finland have lack of defensive defencemen and lack of big players. This is both!

Next year Hakanpää will play in Blues. Not St. Louis Blues but Blues from Espoo, Finland. Sounds good? :laugh:

Any updates from across the pond would be most appreciated!! :yo:

Robb_K 08-29-2010 10:14 AM

I, too, am looking forward to watching his progress. I also think he may be more like to reach his upside potential than Ponich. I will try to watch streamed games. From the highlights I've seen, he looks quite promising. I hope he can develop a mean streak to go along with his own zone net protecting.

The Saw Is the Law 08-30-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 27571866)
I will try to watch streamed games.

I think Hakanpää will play next season in juniors. So there are no streams to watch. But he might get some games in SM-liiga, there will be at least chargeable stream.

I can do some reports about Hakanpää during season :)

Robb_K 08-30-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law (Post 27581374)
I think Hakanpää will play next season in juniors. So there are no streams to watch. But he might get some games in SM-liiga, there will be at least chargeable stream.

I can do some reports about Hakanpää during season :)

We will appreciate that.

The Saw Is the Law 09-07-2010 10:04 AM

Pre-season

In pre-season Hakanpää played in Team Finland's U20 camp. In USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp with Sweden and USA. Also in U20 4-Nations tuornament in Sweden (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Chezh Republic)

In USA HNJECamp Team Finland lost every game:
Sweden Finland 5-3
Finland USA 3-6
Finland Sweden 2-6
USA Finland 8-3

Hakanpää made 2 assists and 4 PIM in 4 games. Sad there is no +/- section in stats.

4-Nations U20 tournament Finland also lost every game... :help:

Finland - Russia 1 - 2 (OT)
Sweden - Finland 4 - 1
Czech Republic - Finland 3 - 2

Hakanpää played in first line with Nico Manelius. Hakanpää was top scorer of Finland in that tournamen 1+1. 4 PIM, three shots on goal. +/- was 0, he got +2 and -2. I think its pretty good because Finland really sucked...

There is rare information about these tournaments, but stats look pretty good. Remember he is only 18 years old and these tournaments were U20. I think Hakanpää will be Finland's #1 defensive defenseman in WJC.

schronote 09-07-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law (Post 27686616)
In pre-season Hakanpää played in Team Finland's U20 camp. In USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp with Sweden and USA. Also in U20 4-Nations tuornament in Sweden (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Chezh Republic)

Sweden Finland 5-3
Finland USA 3-6
Finland Sweden 2-6
USA Finland 8-3

Hakanpää made 2 assists and 4 PIM in 4 games. Sad there is no +/- section in stats.

Sweden - Finland 4 - 1

Hakanpää played in first line with Nico Manelius. Hakanpää was top scorer of Finland in that tournamen 1+1. 4 PIM, three shots on goal. +/- was 0, he got +2 and -2. I think its pretty good because Finland really sucked...

There is rare information about these tournaments, but stats look pretty good. Remember he is only 18 years old and these tournaments were U20. I think Hakanpää will be Finland's #1 defensive defenseman in WJC.

good stuff, appreciate the info on him and keep it coming whenever you can.

Tiina 09-17-2012 06:36 AM

200cm 101 kg at the moment :handclap:

Deko 09-17-2012 08:23 AM

Last Friday Hakanpää scored his first goal of the season in 2nd game of regular season. He already has a +3 after just two games.

thomast 09-17-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiina (Post 54391565)
200cm 101 kg at the moment :handclap:

So he went from
195cm 6'5 ---->200cm 6'7
99kg 218lbs --->101kg 223lbs

Interesting to see if he grows more. I'll be watching Hakanpää at wednesday and will report here. Is there any special things that you guys want me to watch closely? I watched him in the first game but focused on other players. Loved his ability to pass quickly an quality backhand pass as first pass when he was on high pressure. He doesen't seem to have much offensive creativity tho but has good and heavy shot from point. He is good skater for his size, calm with the puck and physical without.

Prussian_Blue 09-17-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 54392573)
Last Friday Hakanpää scored his first goal of the season in 2nd game of regular season. He already has a +3 after just two games.

And, if Google Translate is working correctly, that was a shorthanded goal as well, was it not?

bluemandan 09-17-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law (Post 27686616)

Sweden Finland 5-3
Finland USA 3-6
Finland Sweden 2-6
USA Finland 8-3

Sweden - Finland 4 - 1

Thank you for the information. This sort of thing is why I come to this website. :handclap:

Frenzy1 09-18-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemandan (Post 54410909)
Thank you for the information. This sort of thing is why I come to this website. :handclap:

That post was from two years ago.

Robb_K 09-18-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomast (Post 54402561)
So he went from
195cm 6'5 ---->200cm 6'7
99kg 218lbs --->101kg 223lbs

Interesting to see if he grows more. I'll be watching Hakanpää at wednesday and will report here. Is there any special things that you guys want me to watch closely? I watched him in the first game but focused on other players. Loved his ability to pass quickly an quality backhand pass as first pass when he was on high pressure. He doesen't seem to have much offensive creativity tho but has good and heavy shot from point. He is good skater for his size, calm with the puck and physical without.

Ha! Ha! The kid is still skinny! Wait till he fills out. He'll be a monster! 6' 7 and 250-260 lb! He'll be a brick wall that's very mobile on the ice. Watch out Mr. Zdeno Chara!

PerryTurnbullfan 09-18-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 54432837)
Ha! Ha! The kid is still skinny! Wait till he fills out. He'll be a monster! 6' 7 and 250-260 lb! He'll be a brick wall that's very mobile on the ice. Watch out Mr. Zdeno Chara!

Between him and Ponich, we should have a good center forward tandem on our basketball team. With Beach and Edmondson coming off the bench....:D

Memento 09-18-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan (Post 54433675)
Between him and Ponich, we should have a good center forward tandem on our basketball team. With Beach and Edmondson coming off the bench....:D

Let's not forget Parayko. The kid's already six-four.

The Grouch 09-18-2012 09:52 PM

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...a_blues-1x.jpg

Steve Doan 09-18-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grouch (Post 54437357)

It'd be a lot more impressive if he weren't wearing skates.

Haite 09-21-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve French (Post 54437721)
It'd be a lot more impressive if he weren't wearing skates.

http://www.jatkoaika.com/sites/defau...3/_MG_7515.jpg

How about a few fellow players also wearing skates? Granted, 5'9 2013 draftee Juuso Ikonen under his left arm makes for a bit unfair comparison.

ChicagoBlues 09-21-2012 10:23 AM

Is that Juhamatti in the foreground?

SneakerPimp82 09-21-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues (Post 54490795)
Is that Juhamatti in the foreground?

nah, JMA plays in the KHL. took a quick scan of the Espoo roser, seems to be a kid named Miro Aaltonen.