HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Pregame Routines (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=811164)

Jarick 08-19-2010 04:28 PM

Pregame Routines

After reading Brett Henning's book about pro hockey players' habits, I'm going to be changing up my pregame routine.

What does yours look like?

Mine used to be show up to the rink as late as possible, fill up the water bottle, get dressed quickly, take a few laps around the ice, then shoot pucks until the game started.

Now I'm going to try:
- get to the rink about 1 hr before game time
- eat a handful of nuts/berries (trail mix)
- put on headphones and do some positive visualization while taping sticks
- warmup with a jump rope or jumping jacks
- do a few dynamic stretches (bad back)
- get dressed and head out on the rink...then shoot pucks?

tomp 08-19-2010 08:02 PM

-Work all day
-Sit in traffic for an hour or so
-Eat dinner
-Play with kids
-put kids to bed
-dump out
-argue with wife, because "do you really need to play two nights a week"
-Arrive 30 min before game
-get dressed, on ice, quick stretch
-lose game
-beer

Jimmy Carter 08-19-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomp (Post 27452746)
-Work all day
-Sit in traffic for an hour or so
-Eat dinner
-Play with kids
-put kids to bed
-dump out
-argue with wife, because "do you really need to play two nights a week"
-Arrive 30 min before game
-get dressed, on ice, quick stretch
-lose game
-beer

Switch out work with college, take out kids, and replace wife with girlfriend and I've got the same exact routine hahaha

toquerasta 08-19-2010 11:50 PM

I usually have sex with nine panthers and two polar bears before games.

EDIT: I lied, I have sex with the polar bears during each intermission.

WhooFleuryScores 08-20-2010 12:56 AM

get there an hr early, eat before that. Get dressed, stretch as we go.

Onthe ice do the laps, shoot pucks, do a couple dekes, then get ready to pla.y

Thepandamancan 08-20-2010 01:18 AM

I work nights so I'm always rushing to my games from work...but if I have the luxury of time.

Eat at least 4 or 5 hours before, maybe a light snack in between...like a granola bar.
Drink a lot of water all day to stay hydrated.
Pack up stuff.
Use bathroom for the last time before game.
Get to rink an hour before opening faceoff.
Get fully dressed.
I play at an outdoor rink so to warm up I skate around the rink three or more times.
When I can get on the rink, stick handling drills and help warm up the goalie by taking shots.
Take my seat on the bench and wait for my shift.

I do this all the while listening to my iPod. I have to listen to "All These Things That I've Done" by the Killers and "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC before the game or else I just don't feel right.

jacko23 08-20-2010 06:48 AM

load my gear into my car in the morning, in case i work late. (i work 5 minutes from the rink which is nice)
drink water all day.
chicken caesar salad for lunch. MAYBE a sandwich.
get to the rink about 30 minutes prior to faceoff, if possible.
listen to dream theater's "train of thought" or slipknot's "Vol III the subliminal verses" in the car
get dressed from the waist down
get a bag of peanuts out of the vending machine
B.S. in the locker room and eat my peanuts until about 5 minutes before warmups.
finish getting dressed.
stretch just outside the blue line along the boards opposite the bench. (groin, legs, arms, core, back.)

Jarick 08-20-2010 07:36 AM

Nice rig in your avatar jacko. I miss having guitars around, actually shopping for a cheap tele right now.

jacko23 08-20-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27457064)
Nice rig in your avatar jacko. I miss having guitars around, actually shopping for a cheap tele right now.

thank you. i can thank the navy for giving me a steady income, cos no way can i SAVE that kind of cash. haha. cheap can be good. im not much of a fender fan, but different strokes for different folks. they dont lend themselves well to metal in my opinion. but happy hunting. if you have any questions about guitars in your search for a new one, let me know. :yo: :yo: :yo:

Jarick 08-20-2010 08:05 AM

I used to have a Cort PRS knockoff I pimped out for metal, was pretty slick. Black with black hardware, custom Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge and Jazz in the neck, worked pretty great for my crappy metalcore band. Of course I played drums for them :D

jacko23 08-20-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 27457242)
I used to have a Cort PRS knockoff I pimped out for metal, was pretty slick. Black with black hardware, custom Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge and Jazz in the neck, worked pretty great for my crappy metalcore band. Of course I played drums for them :D

metalcore! hahaha. i recently picked up an electronic drumset myself. im not so good though. haha.

SJGoalie32 08-20-2010 06:25 PM

Old Pregame Rituals (High School & College)

-Arrive at rink 30-45 minutes before game time.
-Put on pre-game mix CD of the most random but awesome warm-up songs from the 70's, 80's, and 90's
-Jog 1 lap around the outside of the rink
-Do a series of stretches and quick sprints
-Stand directly behind the goal (or on the goal line) and watch a few minutes of the game before. Work on visual angles, tracking the puck.....visualize making saves, focus on anything I want to work on in particular.....close my eyes, clear my mind of all other outside distractions, focus on the game, put a scowl on my face and get myself angry and fired up for the game.
-Put my gear on and stretch a bit more
-Join the team, discuss any strategies and focal points going into the game.
-Step on the ice, skate a few laps, work on skating circles forwards and backwards, a few wind sprints.
-Let the skaters get a minute or two of shooting in, step into the crease, 2 or 3 rounds of distance shots, then horseshoe drill until time ran out.

New Routine (Post graduation, married, working man)

-Leave home 20 minutes before game time
-Arrive at rink 5 minutes before game time
-Dress in full goalie gear in 3 minutes or less
-A few warmup shots if I feel like it, have the time, or if anybody brought pucks
-Game on!
:handclap:

Semin 08-20-2010 11:26 PM

I eat at least 2 hours before my game.
drive there, listen to whatever music I feel like it
I get there about 30 mins before the game
Take a pee
get dressed
for warm up I usually do couple of laps, stretch
take some wristers and slappers, but I always finish off warm up with a big slapper when the goalie isn't in net. I don't wanna go all out slap shots on the goalie just in case I miss the net then I gotta hear it from them.

Jerry Lundegaard 08-21-2010 12:51 AM

this is mine

metric 08-21-2010 02:28 AM

For someone who is pretty superstitious in general, I have absolutely no pregame routine whatsoever. Well...I try to make sure to take a 30-45 minute nap sometime during the day, more than that and I feel sluggish. Beyond that I'm all over the map.

O23L 08-24-2010 09:46 PM

Get to the rink about 9 hours early
Put all my gear on
Sleep on the bench untill game time

Frankie Spankie 08-25-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes (Post 27514885)
Get to the rink about 9 hours early
Put all my gear on
Sleep on the bench untill game time

:laugh: I actually played with a guy on a night and he was playing there the next morning. He said he took a shower after the game, just went to his car and slept in his car, then played when he woke up in the morning. He lives like 30 miles away from the rink and didn't want to put 60 miles on his car for no reason.

Briere Up There* 08-25-2010 05:42 PM

I try to eat the Bible while water skiing before every game, that usually warms me up.

OrangeBlue10 08-26-2010 12:27 AM

Show up 5min before game but nickelback on get equipment on and play

Muttley* 08-26-2010 11:32 PM

Dunkin Donuts medium coffee: milk, no sugar.

First sip has to be exactly 1 hour before game time. Exactly.

Anything earlier or later will upset the equilibrium.