HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=811313)

Joe T Choker 08-20-2010 12:21 AM

Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates

http://www.mgresearch.net/Portals/0/.../Nashville.jpg

The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN, metropolitan statistical area in Middle Tennessee is the 38th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in the United States[2] and the largest metropolitan area in the state of Tennessee.

The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Columbia, TN Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is the result of the addition of the Micropolitan Statistical Area of Columbia, TN (Maury County, Tennessee) to the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area. The estimated population of the CSA as of July 1, 2009, was 1,666,566.[1] This metropolitan statistical area includes some of Tennessee's fastest growing counties.

Colleges and Universities

Nashville is often labeled the "Athens of the South" due to the many colleges and universities in the city and metropolitan area.[42] The colleges and universities in Nashville include American Baptist College, Aquinas College, The Art Institute of Tennessee — Nashville, Belmont University, Daymar Institute, Fisk University, Free Will Baptist Bible College, Gupton College, International Academy of Design and Technology, Lipscomb University, Meharry Medical College, Nashville School of Law, Nashville Auto Diesel College[43] (a NAFTC Training Center), Nashville State Community College, Strayer University, Tennessee State University, Trevecca Nazarene University, University of Phoenix, Vanderbilt University, and Watkins College of Art, Design & Film.

Within 30 miles (48 km) of Nashville in Murfreesboro is Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU), a full-sized public university with Tennessee's largest undergraduate population. Enrollment in post-secondary education in Nashville is around 43,000. Within the Nashville Metropolitan Statistical Area—which includes MTSU, Cumberland University (Lebanon), Volunteer State Community College (Gallatin), Daymar Institute, and O'More College of Design (Franklin)—total enrollment exceeds 74,000. Within a 40 miles (64 km) radius are Austin Peay State University (Clarksville) and Columbia State Community College (Columbia), enrolling an additional 13,600.

Nashville has many professional sports teams, most notably the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League and the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League. Several other pro sports teams also call Nashville home, as does the NCAA college football Music City Bowl. The Vanderbilt Commodores are members of the Southeastern Conference. The football team of Tennessee State University plays its home games at LP Field. Other Professional Sports teams include Nashville Metros, Music City Stars & Nashville Sounds

Transportation

Nashville is centrally located at the crossroads of three Interstate Highways: I-40, I-24, and I-65. Interstate 440 is a bypass route connecting I-40, I-65, and I-24 south of downtown Nashville. Briley Parkway connects the north side of the city and its interstates.

Directions

Coming to Nashville Arena from West Tennessee on I-40:
Follow Nashville signs and exit on Broadway (209B). Turn left on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right, between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from East Tennessee on I-40:
Follow I-40, take the Memphis fork, exit on Broadway (209A). Turn right on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right, between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from the South on I-65:
Stay North on I-65 to I-40 West towards Memphis, exit on Broadway 209A). Turn right on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from the East on I-24:
Follow I-40 West towards Memphis, Exit on Broadway (209A). Turn right on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your left between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from the Northwest on I-24:
Follow the 265 Memphis loop, take the 40 West fork following the Nashville signs. Exit on Broadway (209A), turn left on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right between 6th and 5th Avenue.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority provides bus transit within the city, out of a newly built hub station downtown. Routes utilize a hub and spoke method. Expansion plans include use of Bus rapid transit for new routes, with the possibility for local rail service at some point in the future.

Nashville is considered a gateway city for rail and air traffic for the Piedmont Atlantic MegaRegion (Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Upstate South Carolina, and Raleigh-Durham metropolitan areas..)

The city is served by Nashville International Airport, which was a hub for American Airlines between 1986 and 1995 and is now a mini-hub for Southwest Airlines.

Although it is a major rail hub, with a large CSX Transportation freight rail yard, Nashville is one of the largest cities in the U.S. not served by Amtrak.

Nashville launched a passenger commuter rail system called the Music City Star on September 18, 2006. The only currently operational leg of the system connects the city of Lebanon to downtown Nashville at the Nashville Riverfront. Legs to Murfreesboro and Gallatin are currently in the feasibility study stage. The system plan includes seven legs connecting Nashville to surrounding suburbs.

Bridgestone Arena is located in downtown Nashville, which has advantages, such as traffic, parking, and tailgating.

Within Walking Distance of Bridgestone Arena:

- The Palm - http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=25
- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Tennessee.html

Hotels Near Bridgestone Arena:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch...ear_10|near_14

Tickets:

The Predators sell tickets at the Bridgestone Arena box office and on Ticketmaster. StubHub, Ebay, and Craigslist are your best bets for secondary market. There is also a ticket resell area for scalpers outside the arena prior to games near the South entrance.

Parking:

http://www.parkitdowntown.com/public_parking.php

PredsV82 08-20-2010 07:58 AM

well done Dave.

even though I am not a visitor I live 100 miles away so we frequently stay the weekend so I feel like I can give tips as both a local and a visitor.

I have stayed in the Hilton, the Renaissance, the Hampton, and the Doubletree downtown. If you dont mind a little longer walk, and the weather is good, I like the Doubletree. It has more amenities than the Hampton (lounge, restaurant, etc) for about the same price. But the Hampton is much closer and is where I usually stay because I eat and drink on broadway and not at the hotel.

For pregame food/beer I like Broadway Brewhouse. Its usually a little easier to get a table there than some of the other places. But almost any of the restaurant/bars on Broadway in the blocks around the arena are good.

One note for visiting fans... we need paid attendance... if you get your ticket from a scalper or a resale site... dont tell us unless you want to get a dirty look. Most games you can walk up to the box office on gameday and get a good selection of seats and save the Ticketmaster charges. If the games a sellout then you can get scalped tickets and we wont begrudge you.

Dream Big 09-16-2010 12:16 AM

First time visitor to Nashville.

The prices for the Hampton starts at $215.00 a night plus taxes.
Is there anything cheaper for around $150.00 all taxes in that you could recommend. Want a good location for access to the game and the Nashville experience. A gym would be nice. No roach hotels though.
Thanks.

Seth Lake 09-17-2010 10:10 PM

Parking Info

Quote:

During construction of the Music City Center, recommended parking lots for use during Bridgestone Arena events include:
- Main Library Garage, located at 7th Ave. N. and Church St. ($4)
- Pinnacle at Symphony Place Garage, located at 3rd Ave. S. and Demonbreun St. ($10)

Street closures may change frequently. For more information, please visit:
- parkitdowntown.com/
- nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/

You can also check updates on Twitter and on Facebook:
- twitter.com/nashvillemcc
- facebook.com (keyword: Music City Center)

The new Music City Center, located adjacent to Bridgestone Arena on the south side of Demonbreun, will more than double the downtown meeting and exhibit space available in the current convention center.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h..._PREDATORS_BNB

Check this page for the latest parking info BEFORE coming to Nashville. Due to the construction of a new convention center downtown (scheduled to be open in 2013) several parking lots have been closed...

Seth Lake 09-17-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Big (Post 27798189)
First time visitor to Nashville.

The prices for the Hampton starts at $215.00 a night plus taxes.
Is there anything cheaper for around $150.00 all taxes in that you could recommend. Want a good location for access to the game and the Nashville experience. A gym would be nice. No roach hotels though.
Thanks.

Just so you don't think we're ignoring you...here's a link that shows all the hotels around downtown complete with user reviews. It has been added to the OP.

Dream Big 09-19-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 27823393)
Just so you don't think we're ignoring you...here's a link that shows all the hotels around downtown complete with user reviews. It has been added to the OP.

Thanks for your assistance. Do you know anything about Hotel Indigo at 301 Union St? Is that a good location? Thank you.

nine_inch_fang 09-19-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Big (Post 27834585)
Thanks for your assistance. Do you know anything about Hotel Indigo at 301 Union St? Is that a good location? Thank you.

I know it's newly remodeled and a more upscale hotel. It's a great location to take in the full experience that Nashville has to offer.

Dream Big 10-06-2010 01:07 PM

Thank you Nashville!!

Had a terrific time. We were greeted to a warm balmy arrival.

The Hotel Indigo was kitty corner across from Public Square Park and the evening we arrived there was a free concert "Live on the Green" playing. So naturally as soon as we got settled in our Hotel room we went over and joined the 5,000 people doing their thing at the park. Truly a unique welcome from a city that I've travelled to for hockey.

Saw the sites on a trolley tour. The Parthenon, Music studio headquarters, Roy Orbison' builing, Capital building, Frist etc. Did a walking tour of the Ryman Auditorium-the original Grand Ole Opry - www.ryman.com . Saw the Charlie Danial's museum. Impressive. Lot's of neat stuff.

Checked out the Hard Rock cafe, Dolly Parton's store, Broadway honky tonks, BBQ place, Hatch Show print letter press.

Naturally the cowboy boot stores are a must see. Betty Boots had the nicest and got our $'s however the buy one get two more free works for others that we met.

Topping it all off with HOCKEY.

Good times. Yee Hah!

Adz 10-06-2010 01:15 PM

You probably saw more on one trip than most of the natives have seen of Nashville.

CloakroomCrusader 10-06-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adz (Post 28134624)
You probably saw more on one trip than most of the natives have seen of Nashville.

QFT, lived in Nashville for 10 years and still haven't been to the Opry yet.

Soundgarden 10-06-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predeuce777 (Post 28134797)
QFT, lived in Nashville for 10 years and still haven't been to the Opry yet.

same.

Seth Lake 10-06-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 28137316)
same.

The Grand Re-Opening show last Tuesday was my fourth time at the Opry (3rd since I moved to town). It's a fantastic experience that I highly recommend and for the record, I'm not a huge country music fan. Metallica is more my speed...

As for the tourist attractions around town, once every couple years I'll have something to do in the morning downtown and instead of driving home I do the whole tourist experience. It's fun, you always see something new no matter how many times you visit.

Soundgarden 10-06-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 28138427)
The Grand Re-Opening show last Tuesday was my fourth time at the Opry (3rd since I moved to town). It's a fantastic experience that I highly recommend and for the record, I'm not a huge country music fan. Metallica is more my speed...

As for the tourist attractions around town, once every couple years I'll have something to do in the morning downtown and instead of driving home I do the whole tourist experience. It's fun, you always see something new no matter how many times you visit.

Yeah, I always think that I should go just to say that I have, but, I guess I haven't found the time. It's one of those things where to totally take it for granted.

Taranis_24 10-10-2010 07:15 PM

Nashville info...

My wife and I are coming to Nashville for a couple days with another couple from DC. Taking in the game next Saturday. But, was hoping you guys could provide some recommendations on the best places to go before the game. I've been told Nahville has some outstanding Blues bars. My wife has never been to Nashville what sites are a must see? Thanks.

Top 6 Spaling 10-10-2010 08:01 PM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=811313

nexus11313 10-15-2010 01:49 PM

Have tickets for the Pens/Preds game on the 21st which will be my first in Nashville. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the seating arrangements inside Bridgestone Arena, specifically how many rows there are in the lower section and how the rows & seats are #'d. We're in section 118, row GG. Are the double lettered rows behind the single lettered rows and are the seats numbered left to right, if so how many in each row? Thanks for any info, looking forward to seeing my first hockey of '10.

Joe T Choker 10-15-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nexus11313 (Post 28322819)
Have tickets for the Pens/Preds game on the 21st which will be my first in Nashville. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the seating arrangements inside Bridgestone Arena, specifically how many rows there are in the lower section and how the rows & seats are #'d. We're in section 118, row GG. Are the double lettered rows behind the single lettered rows and are the seats numbered left to right, if so how many in each row? Thanks for any info, looking forward to seeing my first hockey of '10.

you're 7 rows from the ice

Link for future questions of this ilk

nexus11313 10-15-2010 01:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Dave, I appreciate the info

jayzee 01-24-2011 09:47 PM

visiting nashville

hey everybody -- haven't been on the site for a while (and lost my old log-in.) but figured there's no better place to go for advice on all things hockey.

Im coming into nashville for the preds/avs game 2/12, and wanted to know if there were any ticket pointers, suggestions for game night -- other than getting face value seats on ticketmaster.

are there specific deals? recc.s for the area?

thanks

hockey diva 01-24-2011 11:15 PM

Predators ticket exchange is usually a good place to start. Season ticket holders sell their tickets through there. Are you coming alone or with other people? I may have an extra for that game if it's just you. Tons of places to eat downtown around the arena. Check the vistors guide thread stickied at the top.

timekeep 01-24-2011 11:28 PM

Stay close to Broadway. and be prepared to bar hop.

golfmade 01-25-2011 08:26 AM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=811313

PredsV82 01-26-2011 08:32 AM

if you are a runner the Preds are having their annual 5K run/walk fundraiser that day. Im not sure what the entry fee is but you get a tshirt and a ticket to the game with it.

go to the preds website for details

jayzee 01-29-2011 04:09 PM

thanks everyone! all a big help.

I think we'll be staying at the double tree? hopefully thats close -- also plan to go to some of the known bars around there.. hear it's a great city.. looking forward!

PredsV82 01-29-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayzee (Post 30534591)
thanks everyone! all a big help.

I think we'll be staying at the double tree? hopefully thats close -- also plan to go to some of the known bars around there.. hear it's a great city.. looking forward!

doubletree is about 5 blocks away. reasonably easy walk to the arena. will be significantly uphill walking back after the game which can be a hazard if you are too loaded(speaking from experience here):D