HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   DDT: 8/20/10 - "Friday, I'm in Love" edition - Which Preds draft pick has been the best... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=811369)

Seth Lake 08-20-2010 07:42 AM

8/20/10 - "Friday, I'm in Love" edition - Which Preds draft pick has been the best...

TGIF!!! :handclap:

Today's question is a poll question...

Which Predator draft pick has been the best value at their draft position?

For your listening pleasure, today...we have The Cure with "Friday, I'm in Love"

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

predfan98 08-20-2010 08:26 AM

picked Weber, how could I not? top notch franchise players are rare.

if Hornqvist has a spectacular year this year............. taking into account where he was drafted..... might be a different choice

Soundgarden 08-20-2010 09:46 AM

Weber, but Hornqvist and Rinne have to be up there.

BigFatCat999 08-20-2010 09:49 AM

Karlis, you get the iron man of the NHL in the 9th round which does not exist any more. Hornqvist second, Weber 3rd.

barrytrotzsneck 08-20-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 27458217)
Karlis, you get the iron man of the NHL in the 9th round which does not exist any more. Hornqvist second, Weber 3rd.

Disagree...I'd rank Skrastins below most of the rest of the list. It's not uncommon to find average players in late rounds.

I'd vote it out this way:

1. Weber
Arguably would be the top pick, and if not the top definitely top 3, in one of the deepest, best drafts in NHL history. Even though he went second round, to have 50-something picks come before you is huge.

2. Hornqvist
Could potentially move above Weber, depending on how consistent his scoring becomes throughout his career.

3. Rinne
Starting goalie that has shown flashes of brilliance--but still some consistency issues. Steal in the fifth round.

4. Erat
I'm not the Erat fan a lot of you guys are, and I do think that he's somewhat disappointing for the promise he's shown but has been unable to really deliver on, especially for the money he's paid. With all that said, still a great find in the seventh round, though draft-era injuries played a part in how far he fell.

token grinder 08-20-2010 10:42 AM

i voted hornquist due to the fact he was the last pick in the friggin draft. Then take in account the fact that he 1) made the nhl, and 2) produced, even if for one year has made him the pick with the most value. how many last picks in the draft have had 30 goal seasons, much less 30 career goals?

Zikolako 08-29-2010 11:37 AM

Weber.

lightning_legwand* 08-29-2010 11:41 AM

this thread is a no brained.

1. Weber
2. Hornqvist
3. Rinne

just look at stats and where they were picked, its a super easy choice. Everyone should have same answer.

TMI 08-29-2010 02:20 PM

Naa if everyone should have the same choice it takes away the discussion.

Weber is the sexy pick, but it doesn't make him the wrong pick. I take him at this point due to consistency. He has the edge over Hornqvist and Rinne simply because he's been around playing at a high level longer.

Hornqvist was the last pick in the draft, came in to what amounted to a try out in the NHL, didn't look great or bad, and knew he had to grow. He found the one thing Nashville was missing. Kudos for the work ethic and intelligence, but he still has to bring it for more than one season.

Rinne hasn't been handed the reigns to an NHL club with more than twenty or so games to play ever. He's being given that opportunity now. This season will show his real value.

I honestly don't think the rest of the list, with maybe the exception of Erat, is even close to being in the discussion with these three. These three, though, are close to being interchangeable in terms of the rankings asked for in this discussion. I do think Weber is the clear cut best value, but anything can happen this season and going forward to change that. I don't see Weber regressing, so I seriously hope one or both of Rinne and Hornqvist supplant him.

CantbeatzPekka 08-29-2010 09:00 PM

Had to go with Horny. He was the last pick of a draft that is hopefully a consistent thirty goal scorer doin it the Preds way of course.

OpenWheel 08-29-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning_legwand (Post 27572394)
this thread is a no brained.

1. Weber
2. Hornqvist
3. Rinne

just look at stats and where they were picked, its a super easy choice. Everyone should have same answer.

I think that's ridiculous. (more the idea there aren't other good choices then the picks themselves) Hornqvist has produced for just one year. How could he be that high? I take Erat. For production for an improving franchise and being important for that growth. And everybody who doesn't have the same answer is stupid. :p:

Without Erat a lot of good years for the franchise don't happen. I considered Weber, because such a player is terrific even high in round one, and he was in round two, so that's true value. But I think a player as solid as Erat, out of round seven fits the "value" idea a bit more, based on a longer career so far and being selected so low. If Hornqvist's career gets closer to Erat's he could be my pick someday. Rinne looks to be a value steal. Let's see if he plays well a bit longer as well, I think he will.

I had to log in and post, because I wasn't letting Erat go any longer without votes... One of the draft steals that set the franchise up for a good run, and still contributing.

dulzhok 08-29-2010 09:48 PM

I will say Radulov. Most GMs and scouting staff are very familiar with the first round players, and expend at of their energy there. To get a sniper with the #12 pick was good value, and something out the the comfort zone for Poile. We'll leave out the aftermath.

So many late picks are just rolling the dice and see who guesses right. If our scouting staff knew Weber was going to be Weber, they certainly would have taken him ahead of Kevin Klien and Glazachev.

OpenWheel 08-29-2010 09:56 PM

You think the Preds have gotten a lot of value out of Radulov?

I can see the different ways to read the poll. I took it as "for the Preds" but some others mean "as a hockey player".

dulzhok 08-29-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 27578687)
You think the Preds have gotten a lot of value out of Radulov?

I can see the different ways to read the poll. I took it as "for the Preds" but some others mean "as a hockey player".

Leaving out the aftermath, yes.

Seth Lake 08-29-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 27578589)
So many late picks are just rolling the dice and see who guesses right. If our scouting staff knew Weber was going to be Weber, they certainly would have taken him ahead of Kevin Klien and Glazachev.

Actually, the scouting staff was very high on Weber and believed that he would continue to grow as a player and had a very high ceiling when they drafted him. However, they intentionally waited to draft him where they did because he was playing behind a lot of guys in junior and hadn't caught the attention of too many yet. They felt that waiting on Weber was a better choice than missing out on Klein and Glazachev who were rated higher across the league.

It definitely played out better than I think even they expected, but
to say that drafting Weber where they did was a guess is not accurate.

Jarnberg 08-30-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 27578589)

On that line of thinking, why did they not draft Weber in the first round? Or Erat.. or Rinne? Or Detroit with Zetterberg and their boatload of draft picks. It doesn't work like that. They usually have an idea, in terms of range, of where a guy is generally going to fall.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they idea for this thread, with the line:

Quote:

Which Predator draft pick has been the best value at their draft position?
Is about the value at the draft position, not did the scouts know that a guy was going to be a star when they drafted said player. Even if they rolled the dice.

OpenWheel 08-30-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 27578821)
Leaving out the aftermath, yes.

I probably shouldn't revive this thread. But to me, thinking "value", the Radulov pick has turned out to be one of the poor ones for value.

The Preds actually took a forward fairly high. Yet last year about when you'd expect a high forward pick to be making important contributions, we had nothing from that pick. No value. I didn't read the poll as "who would have been great value if things had been different and they actually helped the team." Although he did help for two years with a high of 26 goals, less than Hornqvist a far lower pick.

If the poll asked, which picks were the smartest for the Preds, I may have considered Radulov, except his immaturity and failure to respect his contracts leave that in doubt.

If he comes back and produces, this all changes of course. Or if we get something good in a trade.

TMI 08-30-2010 09:08 PM

I have to agree. At this point I think even with potential taken into account you have to pick Suter over Radulov in terms of most valuable first round pick.

Drake744 09-03-2010 02:24 PM

I think at this point it's absolutely Weber because he had no business being picked in the 2nd round, much less the fact that WE actually picked him, not looking at someone like him on another team saying wow why couldn't we pick a guy like that for once.

However I agree with an earlier post that says if Hornqvist becomes a consistent scorer in this league there can't be a bigger "draft value" than a very good player as the last pick.

kivaerijo 09-03-2010 03:12 PM

WHAT! NO LEGWAND!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 27573795)
Naa if everyone should have the same choice it takes away the discussion.

Weber is the sexy pick, but it doesn't make him the wrong pick. I take him at this point due to consistency. He has the edge over Hornqvist and Rinne simply because he's been around playing at a high level longer.

Hornqvist was the last pick in the draft, came in to what amounted to a try out in the NHL, didn't look great or bad, and knew he had to grow. He found the one thing Nashville was missing. Kudos for the work ethic and intelligence, but he still has to bring it for more than one season.

Rinne hasn't been handed the reigns to an NHL club with more than twenty or so games to play ever. He's being given that opportunity now. This season will show his real value.

I honestly don't think the rest of the list, with maybe the exception of Erat, is even close to being in the discussion with these three. These three, though, are close to being interchangeable in terms of the rankings asked for in this discussion. I do think Weber is the clear cut best value, but anything can happen this season and going forward to change that. I don't see Weber regressing, so I seriously hope one or both of Rinne and Hornqvist supplant him.

i tend to agree with you. i picked rinne only because of position drafted. but i agree it is a liitle early for him or horny to be the pick. we will see more about them this year.

and i actually should have picked erat

weber was drafted fairly high, so in respect to best as to draft position..i think it is erat. then again, weber was second round, and not a lot of second round picks pan out...so i dont know. what i do know is it isnt as clear a choice as proposal man has stated

kivaerijo 09-03-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake744 (Post 27644433)
However I agree with an earlier post that says if Hornqvist becomes a consistent scorer in this league there can't be a bigger "draft value" than a very good player as the last pick.

except pekka was actually picked later/number wise

worstfaceoffmanever 09-03-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kivaerijo (Post 27645321)
except pekka was actually picked later/number wise

That's because there were more rounds in the draft where Rinne was picked. If the draft was seven rounds long when Rinne was set to be drafted, he would have been picked in the sixth or seventh round.

Top 6 Spaling 09-03-2010 06:25 PM

This is a really interesting question to me. Obviously Poile and our scouts are incredible, so we have lots of great choices.

You could argue that taking Weber, a superstar, in the 2nd round was in steal, and since he is the best player we've ever had, its the best pick.

You could argue Horny or Rinne becuase they were picked so late, but at the same time, they havent been playing at that level long enough for me to put them above Weber. Maybe in a few years.

There's always Erat, one of our most consistent forwards, picked incredibly late. I think he's often overlooked, but was an incredible pick.

One people seem to forget is Tootoo. While his on-ice production has been marginal at best, he brings in some serious $s in marketing. It was a great pick for publicity's sake, and has really been a value for us.

In the end, after much consideration, my vote goes to Erat. He has been a solid, consistent player for us for many many years.

Predsrule 09-03-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 27647660)
That's because there were more rounds in the draft where Rinne was picked. If the draft was seven rounds long when Rinne was set to be drafted, he would have been picked in the sixth or seventh round.

Huh?
no he wouldn't of been picked if it ended at say round 7. bc everyone would of still picked the same players they did..
the lets say 230 players above him, would of still been picked draft over him.
so he would of been not drafted... ? ?

?

worstfaceoffmanever 09-04-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predsrule (Post 27648188)
Huh?
no he wouldn't of been picked if it ended at say round 7. bc everyone would of still picked the same players they did..
the lets say 230 players above him, would of still been picked draft over him.
so he would of been not drafted... ? ?

?

Is it so hard to believe that a different draft system would produce a different draft result? If a team saw potential in the then-21-year-old Rinne, they probably would have picked him over a younger player with less polish, which is exactly what happens now (it's what happened with Patrick Cehlin last year).

On the other hand, players like Mark Streit, who was 26 when he was drafted in in the last round 2004, probably would not have been selected and instead signed as a free agent after the lockout.