HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   THIN ICE- A Season in Hell with the New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=811597)

Choice 08-20-2010 11:49 PM

THIN ICE- A Season in Hell with the New York Rangers

Has anyone read this book? I just started it and so far so good. It's out of print though so was a little tough to find.

It's about the late 70s early 80s Rangers. I'm too young to have seen these guys play but it's still a good read. Funny how some things have probably changed a lot since then and some haven't.

broadwayblue 08-20-2010 11:50 PM

I picked it up a while back but never got around to reading it. I actually forgot I have it.

Choice 08-20-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 27467516)
I picked it up a while back but never got around to reading it. I actually forgot I have it.

I'm about 30 pages in already and it's pretty entertaining. A quick read. Good hockey offseason fare.

It's by Larry Sloman, who cowrote (ghostwrote?) Howard Stern's books.

NYR Sting 08-21-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choice (Post 27467540)
It's by Larry Sloman, who cowrote (ghostwrote?) Howard Stern's books.

Both are hilarious.

The library was supposed to retrieve a copy of the Ranger book for me. Never did. :madfire:

Dagoon44 08-21-2010 02:25 AM

Guys if your a Rangers fan and haven't read this book your missing out. I have read over 200 sports books and this is by far the best. Totally takes you inside the team and locker room.

eco's bones 08-21-2010 04:56 AM

It's a very good read. A lot of insider stuff. Sloman used to fool around on the ice with several of the players after practice. It was a clique-team. Most of the young guys banding together Greschner, Duguay, Murdoch, Hickey. Barry Beck tends more to go his own way. Shero was the coach and quite a bit strange--well anyone whoever watched him as Flyers coach could have figured that. His assistant Mike Nykoluk scheming behind the scenes to get his job. Almost nobody likes him. Of the players Dave Maloney and Carol Vadnais aren't liked a lot either.

King of cool 08-21-2010 07:34 AM

Funny, I started searching for a clean copy of this book last week...

Choice 08-21-2010 08:03 AM

For anyone who is interested:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?bi....y=0&hs=Submit

Barbara Underhill 08-21-2010 09:20 AM

Another good one is Losing the Edge, about the rise and fall of the 94 cup team.

chosen 08-21-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 27468460)
Guys if your a Rangers fan and haven't read this book your missing out. I have read over 200 sports books and this is by far the best. Totally takes you inside the team and locker room.

I agree that it was good, but to me the greatest sports book ever was "The Sweet Science" by AJ Liebling. It's a collection of articles he wrote for The New Yorker about boxing. Friday Night Lights is probably my second, albeit distant-second choice.

Dagoon, I know you love fights in hockey, but if you like fighting in general, read The Sweet Science, if you have not already done so.

Cruxial 08-21-2010 10:44 AM

Read Thin Ice when I was in high school (Years and years ago). I still use Vadnais' (or was it Marios') line about why he shaved his 'stache.

ThisYearsModel 08-21-2010 11:35 AM

Both great books. I own them both.

Banks3rdLineCenter 08-21-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tube Sock (Post 27469438)
Another good one is Losing the Edge, about the rise and fall of the 94 cup team.

I finished this a couple of months ago, it's a great read. Interesting to read how current MSG personality Mike Keenan doublecrossed the organization.

eco's bones 08-21-2010 02:20 PM

Losing the edge is an excellent book as well and like Season in hell is an insider look at the team. Meisel though tends to focus on the management and upper management and a little less on the players. Sloman's book is a little grittier.

White Plains Batman 08-21-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 27471577)
Losing the edge is an excellent book as well and like Season in hell is an insider look at the team. Meisel though tends to focus on the management and upper management and a little less on the players. Sloman's book is a little grittier.

Sloman really gets his subjects to speak and spill the beans. He ghost wrote Scar Tissue the Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers Bio and my goodness are there controversial and messed up stories in that one.

I remember reading a little of Thin Ice in the mid 90s when I was in 8th grade the year after the Cup and there was a line by JD how he couldn't "make love" to his wife or he'd have crappy games.

What season does this book cover? Like 79-80? I'd love to know more about the infamous Rangers-Kings 81 playoff brawl and how that team came pretty darn close to winning it all.

HockeyBurd* 05-24-2012 10:39 PM

Anybody want to share their copy with me. I'd be a fan.

Ice Hockey 05-24-2012 11:06 PM

i'd love to give this a read. sounds like something i'd enjoy while on the $hitter

Pizza 05-25-2012 01:25 AM

Kinky Friedman, studio 54 and vitamin C. Thems were the days fellas.